Prologue

My Brother's Best Friend

Hi guys! :D Peanut here again. This is my second attempt at a written chapter-fic, so please don't bash me if it's not up to standard. :O

“Hyunnie-oppa!” Dari called from the staircase.

Her tiny feet thumped on the stairs as she ran all the way down to meet him. She tiptoed over the banister, cheerful grin plastered on her face. 

12-year-old Daehyun chuckled at his adorable 10-year-old sister and pulled her off the stairs, giving her a tight squeeze.

“Hyunnie-oppa, do you really have to go to school today?” Jung Dari pouted, her big brown eyes going all liquid-y.

He set her down on the ground and ruffled her hair.

“Don’t worry Riri, I’ll be back before lunchtime,” he laughed.

“Aww, but Hyunnie-oppa, you went to school for the whole week! Besides, today’s a Saturday! Stay at home and play with me, please?” she beseeched.

Daehyun his cheek, pretending to consider her suggestion as she rocked on the balls of her feet, eagerly waiting for an answer.

"No can do Dari. It's still a curriculum day. Hmmm… Then how about this? If you let me go to school today, I’ll bring home my new friend for you to play with. Okay?” Daehyun offered.

Dari nodded her head excitedly and Daehyun laughed again before checking his watch.

“Crap! I’m late again! Gotta go now Riri, see you later!” he yelled as he dashed through the door.

Dari watched her brother run off, before chasing after Popo, her puppy.

---

Youngjae glanced around in awe. The house was easily one of the biggest he’d ever been to, and he was only at the entrance. The gate was made of beautifully carved iron and the gardens were well groomed, with blooming flowers arranged in neat rows. A magnificent gold fountain was situated right in the center of the lawn, spouting crystal clear water as a real live swan swam languidly about, occasionally preening its feathers. The house itself was a giant 5 storey mansion, which was a bit unfair considering they only had 4 people in the family, excluding servants.

“It’s nothing much,” Daehyun shrugged nonchalantly beside him.

Nothing much? You have a swan in a fountain! Normal people don't even have fountains!

 “Riri, I’m home!” Daehyun called out.

Youngjae adjusted his backpack awkwardly. He didn’t exactly fit into the atmosphere of grandness that exuded from the house, with his secondhand school pants and scuffed shoes.

“I’m sorry you had to accompany me home today even though we only just met,” Daehyun rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

“Oh no, it’s fine. You needed help with trigonometry right?” Youngjae replied just as awkwardly.

Daehyun nodded and was about to take a step forward into the majestic gardens when-

 “Oof!” He was bombarded by a tiny pink thing to the ground.

He picked himself up and dusted off his pants before picking the thing up and carrying her in his arms.

“Youngjae, this is Dari, my younger sister. Riri, this is Youngjae, the friend I was telling you about,” Daehyun introduced the two of them.

Youngjae openly gaped. The daughter of the CEO of a giant banking corporation looked nothing like he’d imagined: her hair was caked with mud and leaves, while her pink dress was streaked with dirt and dust. Her face was quite dirty as well, but her big brown eyes were large and expressive.

“Dari, why are you so dirty?” Daehyun cringed.

“I was playing with Popo, but he fell into the mud at the back of the house and I had to rescue him,” she answered and hugged her brother, smearing mud all over his crisp white shirt.

“Jung Dari!” Daehyun groaned. Youngjae chuckled at the little girl’s actions.

The chuckle had caught Dari’s attention. She took one look at him and leaped out of Daehyun’s arms.

“Meat bun!” she called out, pointing to Youngjae and looking at Daehyun.

Oh boy, did Daehyun look embarrassed.

“Dari, you don’t say that about people!” Daehyun squeaked, his mouth agape in horror as Dari grinned cheekily.

Dari pulled a face at him before running back into the house, Daehyun chasing after her madly.

Youngjae laughed and followed them. I think I might like this family.

---

The living room was majestic. The giant French windows which opened up to the beautiful scenery of Seoul were captivating. The marble floor was so polished and so shiny that Youngjae could see his face even when he was standing straight. The couches were made of definitely-real black leather. The coffee table, made of two-inch thick glass, held two empty cups and a porcelain kettle. Gilded frames of various artworks and family portraits decorated the walls. It all screamed ULTRA-MEGA-FILTHY-RICH.

What interested him the most was the vast array of books in the room. The books were artistically placed in a bookshelf that took up one whole wall. Most of the books were Korean classics, though there were a few English books mixed in here and there.

“Jaejae, can we move on yet? You’re starting to drool!” Daehyun whined, already halfway up the spiral staircase.

Youngjae shook himself out of his stupor before nodding his head and following Daehyun up the stairs.

… Jaejae?

---

“This is my room!” Daehyun pointed to a slightly ajar door.

He pushed the door open and dumped his backpack on the floor. The room was almost as big as Youngjae’s entire house. Its walls were painted solid black and were covered with posters of Western artistes that Youngjae didn’t recognize. Collectible action figurines stood neatly on his solid white cabinet and a small fridge was situated right beside it. There was literally a bin full of game consoles at the corner of the room and it opened into a gigantic bathroom.

He gets his own bathroom? Lucky rich kid.

Youngjae placed his backpack neatly on the floor, careful not to disturb anything as Daehyun flung himself onto the soft rug on the floor. He switched his TV on and browsed through the channels.

Youngjae stepped delicately over Daehyun’s body and sat down on a comfy beanie bag chair.

“Weren’t we supposed to study?” Youngjae asked drily, flipping through a gaming magazine he’d found under the bed.

“Aish, we can study later!” Daehyun scoffed, finally stopping at the American MTV.

Youngjae barely had time to read the band's name, Paramore, before the music video started. The music blasted through the room and Daehyun rocked out on his air-guitar along with it.

Youngjae shook his head and chuckled.

“Whatever you say, Daedae,” Youngjae teased, earning himself a mock glare from Daehyun.

Suddenly, someone knocked at the door. Daehyun, being the closest to the door, opened it.

Dari was standing at the doorway, trying to balance a tray on her small hands. The tray had a jar of delicious-looking chocolate-chip cookies and two cups of milk.

“Sunhwa-unnie sent these up for you!” Dari beamed, sloshing the milk dangerously.

Daehyun grabbed the tray before it could drop and spill the milk all over his carpet and thanked Dari.

But before he could even try to close it, Dari barreled into the room and jumped onto the beanbag next to Youngjae’s.

“Meatbun-oppa, are you hungry? I baked those cookies myself!” Dari smiled.

Youngjae grinned back. After she had been cleaned up, she actually didn’t look so bad. Her long brown hair was tied into two Chinese-style buns and her bangs fell haphazardly across her face. She was dressed in a yellow nightdress and her face was cleaned of any mud.

“Hyosung-unnie made me take a bath!” she continued, wrinkling her nose cutely.

Youngjae laughed again and patted her head.

“Thanks Jung Dari,” Youngjae smiled.

Dari grinned again before yawning widely and curling up into the beanbag.

“Hey, can you carry her to her room for me? It’s right down the hallway, all the way to the end. I’m looking for my Call of Duty game,” Daehyun asked, arm-deep in the bottom drawer of the cabinet.

“Sure,” Youngjae said before gently picking Dari up from her sleeping position and moving off to her room.

---

Dari’s room was slightly smaller than Daehyun’s. Her walls were painted a mix of champagne pink and pale yellow and had a giant panda painted on one. Various stuffed pandas were piled onto the pink rug on the floor. Just like her brother, she had her own bathroom as well. He set her down onto her queen-size bed carefully.

Dari cuddled into her panda-patterned covers, suddenly awake.

“Meatbun-oppa, can you sing me a song? I can’t sleep,” Dari wiggled in her bed, blinking sleepily at him.

“I’ve never really sang before,” Youngjae scratched his head awkwardly. Of course, secretly his hobby was singing, but singing wasn’t a very manly hobby. Plus, he didn’t think he was very good at it. No one knew about it - not even his mother.

“Please?” Dari pouted, tugging his sleeve for further emphasis. Her big brown eyes pleaded him.

Cuteness. Overload.

Youngjae resigned himself to his fate. He opened his mouth and started to sing.

---

As Youngjae finished the song, he noticed Dari already snoring away. He quietly tucked her in before leaving the room.

Daehyun had already set up the X Box, but had left the room in a horrible mess. There were CDs strewn about everywhere and the bin full of consoles was half overturned. He was snoozing on the rug, curled up into a tiny ball, an almost carbon copy of his little sister.

"Rich kids," he sighed to himself as he bent down to pick up all of the videogames and placed them back into the half-opened drawer. He then placed all of the consoles back into the bin before moving it back into its corner.

He settled himself down at the study table and finished his homework, waiting for Daehyun to wake up.

---

When he had finished his homework, he saw that Daehyun was still snoring away on the rug.

All of a sudden, he remembered all the books in the bookshelf downstairs.

Well, it wouldn't hurt to just look right?

He walked downstairs and admired the collection of books until an angry voice interrupted him.

“Excuse me, but what are you doing here?” A beautiful 16 year old girl stood at the entrance of the kitchen, arms crossed, face furious.

“Sorry to intrude. Daehyun-ssi brought me over to help him study,” Youngjae bowed politely, as was taught by his mother.

“Well, if Mr. Jung allowed you to come into the house, I guess it's fine. Feel free to read anything you want. Master Jung doesn’t mind if guests read his book collection,” her previously hostile demeanour vanished, leaving a bubbly and happy girl.

“Sunhwa! Get back in here now!” an elderly voice called from the kitchen.

The maid gave him an apologetic grin and ran back into the kitchen.

Well, if the pretty maid says I can do it, I might as well do it, Youngjae shrugged and picked out a relatively thick book to read.

---

Daehyun was having a great dream. He was dreaming of the land of cheesecake, a beautiful country populated by delicious, delicious cheesecakes. He was just about to take a huge bite out of one when an annoying person shook him awake.

“Daehyun, wake up. Daehyun, wake up! DAEHYUN, WAKE UP NOW!” A low pitched voice yelled in his ear.

“What…?” Daehyun sat up blearily.

“It’s past 7pm. I need to go home. I’ll see you tomorrow?” Youngjae said in a normal volume.

“Why didn’t you wake me up?” Daehyun slurred sleepily.

“I was reading the books downstairs. Sorry I didn't wake you up to study,” Youngjae replied, bowing apologetically.

"S'fine," Daehyun mumbled.

He rubbed his eyes sleepily and started to get up before Youngjae stopped him.

“No need to walk me out. Your house is only 5 minutes away from mine,” Youngjae added before waving goodbye and running out of the room.

Daehyun crawled into his bed and closed his eyes. Cheesecake land, here I come again....

---

Youngjae ran all the way to his apartment building, which was situated right in front of the rich neighbourhood. As if to make up for the luxury and extravagance of the multi-storey mansions just around the corner, his apartment building was decrepit and badly needed a fresh coat of paint. Also, there was always a strange smell around the corner. Youngjae entered the lift and waited quietly until it reached his apartment level before running home.

“Sorry I’m late!” he dashed into the small apartment, panting heavily.

“Where have you been? It’s a quarter past 7 and dinner’s supposed to be at 6.30!” his mother scolded, hands on her hips.

 “Sorry ma, I was at my friend’s house. He had so many books and I kinda lost myself in them,” Youngjae chuckled sheepishly.

“That’s just like you…” she sighed in mock-exasperation. “You’ve at least completed your homework right?”

Youngjae nodded his head and sat down at the table, where the food and his older brother were waiting.

“Okay then, just make sure you don’t stay out too late next time. You must be tired after that long day. Let’s eat!” his mother smiled warmly.

Youngjae nodded his head enthusiastically and placed his bag neatly at the table. He then proceeded to tell his family all about the eccentric brother-sister duo he had just met as they settled down to a now-cold dinner.

---

Thank you for reading my story! If you have any suggestions, criticisms, comments or just plain hate, you may leave it in the comments section below and I'll read all of it! >w<

Please don't get too disappointed yet because this is just the beginning. :) I'll try my best to improve my writing so please give me lots of criticism! I'll try not to cry. :(

Thank you!

-Peanut