Chapter 3

My Brother's Best Friend

  Hey guys! :D Peanut here~ Thank you for bearing with my insanely awkward and weird writing! Please enjoy chapter 3 of MBBF!

I huddled under my comforter as the weekly BAP meeting went on a few doors down the hallway. I could hear Yongguk-oppa roaring away at the top of his lungs while Hyunnie-oppa screamed back with equal excitement, along with Himchan-oppa egging his best friend on with the janggu (Korean traditional drum) he’d brought over. Altogether, they made quite the din.

I didn't feel like leaving my room at all that day.

It wasn’t just that they were making an obscenely huge amount of noise. I also felt incredibly uncomfortable with meeting Youngjae-oppa again, especially after yesterday’s horribly disastrous tuition session ending.

I was so confused! Nowadays, whenever I went near him, my body would react in strange ways. I would start perspiring a little, my heart rate would increase, and my palms would feel cold and clammy and even more.  What was wrong with my body?

I needed someone who wouldn't judge me; someone who knew the perfect solution to this pile of problems. I knew just the person to call.

---

“You know, you could just knock on your brother's door and ask for me,” Zelo’s voice crackled through the other end.

“Come to my room now,” I ignored his sarcasm.

“Why?” he sounded confused.

“Just come. I’ll tell you later,” I hissed and ended the call.

A few minutes later, a knock sounded at my door. I ran to open it and pulled Zelo inside.

“What’s up?” Zelo asked, munching on a bag of crisps as he relaxed on my soft panda rug on the floor.

“I… I’m having problems,” I said carefully.

“With Youngjae-hyung?” he continued to munch.

“How did you know?” I asked, surprised. Clearly, my friends knew me better than I did myself.

“He looked as glum as you do right now. He just lay on the bed and moped while everyone else played and usually, he wouldn’t skip on a chance to kick our asses in Halo," Zelo replied. "What the heck is going on between the two of you?”

“I don’t know,” I confessed. “Everything is so confusing. I get so weird around him now. I go all red and flustered and hot. And it only happens around him! What’s happening to me?”

Zelo put down his bag of crisps and his fingers thoughtfully before wiping them on his shirt. I grimaced.

“Do you honestly not know?” he finished ‘cleaning up’ and slapped his forehead. "Doesn't this sort of thing always happen in those trashy novels Eunhye smuggles into class to read?"

"I take offence to the fact that you assume Eunhye and I have the same taste in books," I sniffed disdainfully. "I prefer literature with substance."

"Batman comics aren't substantial," he coughed under his breath as I growled at him.

"Well, neither is the shoujo manga I found in your room," I countered, enjoying revenge as he sputtered, face tinged red in embarrassment. "Come on Zelo. You're my friend and you're pretty experienced in this area. Please tell me what's going on!"

He paused and his chin, eyeing me as I fidgeted with my shirt restlessly.

“You know, for a smart person, you’re quite the blonde," he finally said and stuck his tongue out at me.

“Okay, what the heck does that mean?” I glared, getting my fists ready to punch him in the gut. "Aren't we buddies? Buddies help each other!"

“If I help you, that ruins the fun. Sorry bro, but this time, you have to solve your own problems,” Zelo picked up the bag of crisps and proceeded to get up.

I got up too to see him out, muttering angrily under my breath.

Unfortunately, I overestimated the distance between us and tripped over his right foot. Wobbling dangerously, I crashed into Zelo and tackled us both to the ground. His elbow bonked my head painfully as we both went down, arms and legs everywhere.

“Oww…” we both mumbled, massaging our respective injured parts.

Stars danced in my mind as I felt around, trying to get my bearings. At the same time, Zelo was trying to pluck me off him, but I wriggled too much and kept sliding out of his grasp.

And then, the one person who shouldn’t have walked in, walked in.

“Hey Zelo, Daehyun wants to play against you…” Youngjae-oppa trailed off.

My vision cleared. I was kneeling over Zelo, legs tangled in his. One of my hands was resting on his chest while both of his were gripping the sides of my belly. It was a very compromising position.

“I-I see you’re busy,” Youngjae-oppa’s face was stony and he stalked out of the room.

We stared after him in shocked silence. I felt extraordinarily guilty for some reason.

“You’re just going to let him go like that?” Zelo’s voice broke the quiet.

“… No, I’m not,” I answered unwaveringly.

The front door slammed.

“Then why are you still here?” Zelo smiled encouragingly.

Giving him a grateful glance, I ran out of the house to find Youngjae-oppa.

---

Pedestrians jumped out of the way and cursed angrily as Youngjae stomped down the street. He had managed to almost step on five feet, actually step on two dog tails and kick over a rubbish bin entirely on accident.

Youngjae kicked the pebbles on the pavement in anger. He thought he could trust Zelo. Even if they weren’t as close as Daehyun and him, he was still a part of BAP.

Zelo didn’t know about your feelings for Dari, the logical part of Youngjae’s mind reasoned, but all Youngjae wanted to do was punch him in his pretty little face. He could still feel the anger boiling away inside him.

But what if Dari likes Zelo too? He wondered. She was really close to him, and they did know each other for at least 5 years already.

Furthermore, Zelo was a tall, handsome boy with a skater's lean-but-muscular physique. Most of the girls in Grade 6 and up and even some of the more desperate female teachers liked him. Rich, tall, handsome... Zelo was a perfect match for Dari.

Youngjae on the other hand, was a little teapot, short and stout (tee hee). He stood barely a head taller than Dari, who was already pretty small for her age. He picked at his stomach in distaste. Even after he'd finally relented to Daehyun's pleas and worked out with him every week, it was evident that it was a futile effort. He was still flabby and gross compared to the rest of his friends. 

Judging by their intimacy just now though, Youngjae wouldn't have been surprised if the two of them were already engaged.

I have to accept it. I’m not going to force my feelings onto her, no matter how much I like her, he told himself firmly, though his heart ached painfully at the thought of Dari and Zelo together.

He was so distracted that he almost walked straight into a wall. He looked up, realising that he had walked all the way to the school park from Daehyun’s house. The park was closed since it was a Sunday. On normal days, Youngjae would have just left, but today was not a normal day. Without even batting an eyelid, Youngjae climbed over the gate and into the park.

Obviously, no one was stupid enough to do what he did because it was illegal, so the park was completely empty. He made his way over to a park bench as birds twittered in the sunlight cheerily, a stark contrast to how horrible he was feeling.

“Why am I so hung up over a girl?” he groaned out loud.

It wasn’t as if he could be with her anyway, due to their differences in class. He stood up suddenly and punched the tree beside the bench in frustration, scaring away a poor innocent pigeon.

Why on earth did she have to born a rich heiress? Why on earth did he have to meet Daehyun? Why did he have to meet Daehyun’s sister? Why did he have to fall in love with her? He yelled unintelliglibly in frustration and sat back down again, emotions exhausted.

Youngjae grimaced as the memory of Dari and Zelo flashed back into his mind.

He could remember what those two were doing, alright. Zelo was molesting Dari’s waist while she leaned down on top of Zelo, caressing his chest as they were about to k-k-k-

He couldn’t torture himself like this any longer.

“YOU, JUNG DARI, ARE THE BANE OF MY ENTIRE EXISTENCE!” he bellowed, scaring away any small innocent creature in the vicinity.

He sighed in relief. The yell had done him good. He felt so much better after releasing his pent up emotion.

His ears twitched as he registered an unfamiliar noise coming from behind him. Is that crying?

Turning around, he came face to face with Jung Dari herself.

---

In all honesty, I knew I would never be able to find Meatbun-oppa. I mean, Gangnam is so big. How could I find him by myself? So, I enlisted the help of my 7 year old dog, Popo. Being a bloodhound, his sense of smell was terrific. Not only that, he loved Meatbun-oppa to bits.

Popo sniffed the ground excitedly as I double-knotted my shoelaces for extra security.

“Dari, where are you going?” Hyunnie-oppa leaned out of the doorway.

“I’m going to sort things out with Meatbun-oppa,” I replied.

“Why? That guy is dangerous,” Hyunnie-oppa frowned.

“Isn’t he your best friend?” I deadpanned at him.

“… Good point. Fine, I’ll let you go, but only if you let me come with you,” he insisted, already pulling on his Converse.

The leash in my hand pulled tight. Popo had found a scent. He yipped joyfully before racing off in the direction of the scent, pulling me along with the leash.

“RIRI, WAIT FOR MEEEEEE!” Hyunnie-oppa whined as I sprinted to keep up with Popo.

“Sorry Hyunnie-oppa!” I yelled back as his voice faded into the distance.

We ran all the way to school. No matter how fast I went, Popo was even faster, straining against his leash in order to get to his favourite hyung.

I was almost about to give up when we spotted a figure walking slowly on the pavement, almost knocking into lampposts, rubbish bins and the odd pigeon.

I slowed down to a normal pace, panting heavily, as Popo walked steadily beside me. He pawed the ground excitedly but I shushed him.

Something heavy jumped onto my back and hugged me tight.

“Yah, Riri-ah~ Why didn’t you-” I covered Hyunnie-oppa’s mouth with my fingers to shut him up.

He shut up immediately. I removed my hands and pointed to the figure urgently while still looking at Hyunnie-oppa. He suddenly looked impressed for some reason.

“Since when did Youngjae become so badass? He’s climbing over the park gates now,” Hyunnie-oppa remarked, cocking an eyebrow.

“He’s climbing over the gates?!” I whipped my head back to the figure.

True enough, Meatbun-oppa was fast disappearing over the gates.

Crap, I was losing him.

“Oppa, you should go home first. I need to talk to him,” I the leash into his hands and ran after Youngjae-oppa, ignoring his incessant protests.

---

“YOU, JUNG DARI, ARE THE BANE OF MY ENTIRE EXISTENCE!” he bellowed.

I froze. Youngjae-oppa was standing in front of a bench only a few feet away from me, and I was just making my way there when he yelled.

His words rang in my mind. My brain started dissecting the whole sentence in a split second. “You, Jung Dari,” obviously referred to me. “Are the bane of my existence,” however, didn’t ring a bell. Was he trying to say that I was causing him trouble? What did I do to him? Did he hate me? Did he want me to stay out of his life? Why did he say that?

I felt a strange painful sensation in my heart. It felt like someone was pulling my heart both ways, almost making it split into two.

I started trembling. Why did I feel so queer? Something wet landed on my cheek. I felt my face with my fingers. Ah, I’m crying, I thought to myself.

But what was I crying for?! For the life of me, I couldn’t figure it out. It didn’t feel like the normal “my friend said mean things about me boohoo”. In fact, it felt like a combination of that and some other mysterious feeling. My heart throbbed with pain as the tears kept falling.

A warm hand landed on the crown of my head. I looked up. Youngjae-oppa was there, looking worried and guilty.

“D-d-did you hear what I said?” his voice cracked a little.

“Of course I did. You shouted it so loud, the whole world and their mother could hear!” I bawled, tears streaming down my face. I wiped at the tears, but goddamit, they just kept coming.

“I’m sorry Dari. I didn’t mean it,” he bowed his head, not wanting to look at me.

“Oh really? Then what did you mean by ‘bane of your existence’? All of the meanings of that phrase are negative!” I huffed sarcastically before pushing his hand away. “Don’t even touch me, you .”

“That was uncalled for,” he frowned, eyes slightly hurt. I felt a little guilty, but he deserved it. He was the one cursing at me after all.

“If you don’t like me, just say it to my face, you coward!” I started to storm off, but he grabbed my wrist tightly.

“Wait, I never said I didn’t like you!” He argued, hand locked around my wrist with a vice-like grip. I futilely tried to free my wrist, but to no avail.

“What the heck did you mean then?!” I wiped the tears off my face with my other hand.

I watched him grapple with his emotions. He got more and more agitated, before bursting out again.

“How about YOU tell me why Zelo was in your room?!” he said angrily.

… What? Zelo being in my room was completely unrelated to the name-calling!

I started to get a little ticked off.

“Excuse me, but who was the one who called me the bane of your existence? I don’t think you have any right to question me about anything!” I lashed back, poking his surprisingly hard chest angrily.

“Just answer the damn question Dari! Why was Zelo in your room? And why was he touching you?!” he leaned in closer, eyes smouldering with fury.

“He was touching me because I fell on him. On accident. And anyway, the whole thing was YOUR fault!” I snapped, getting all up in his face to emphasize my point.

We were so close, our noses almost touched.

His eyes widened in surprise. The emotional baggage of one week finally overcame me and I started to rage-rant.

“I asked him to come over so he could advise me! Because of you, I can’t eat, I can’t sleep, I can’t concentrate in class, I keep getting really hot around you, my whole body goes crazy when I’m around you, I can’t stop thinking about-” and then he grabbed the neckline of my tank top and pulled me up, forcing me to stand on tiptoe.

His coffee-brown irises bore into my brown ones intensely. Before I could say anything else, he mashed his lips against mine.

I closed my eyes automatically and responded. His lips moved against mine urgently and my heart sped up a considerable amount in response. You’d think that I’d get a heart attack by now, judging by the way my heart always changed its pace so frequently. 

The warm sensation spread all the way from my lips to my toes and butterflies started to dance in my stomach. His hands travelled from the neckline of my tank and gripped my shoulders tightly, holding me closer to him. I almost melted into his embrace.

All I could think of was his soft, slightly damp lips pressing against mine, blocking me from the rest of the world.

We broke apart too soon, both gasping for air. His pupils were dilated and I was pretty sure mine were too.

My lips tingled as his dazed eyes refocused. They widened in horror and his hands flew to his mouth.

I reached out for him but it was too late.

Before I could say anything, he sprinted out of the park.

I could still feel the residual heat of his lips on mine as I squatted to the ground, even more confused than ever.

---

No no no no this was not happening. 

I might as well migrate to America and change my name to John Smith because there's no way in hell she's ever gonna let me near her again, Youngjae despaired.

This was entirely her fault. If she hadn't stood so close to him, he wouldn't have smelled her strangely addictive orange-scented soap, and then he wouldn't have been distracted by her obnoxiously pretty lips while she was yelling at him, and then he wouldn't have lost control of himself. 

Youngjae couldn't fool even himself with this pathetic excuse.

His heart was still hammering and his face was feverishly hot. He could still feel his lips on hers, her satin-smooth skin…

Youngjae groaned as he fished his housekeys out of his pocket.

He kissed her. He kissed her. He kissed her. And he liked it.

“She likes Zelo!” he reminded himself, wiping his mouth furiously to erase any traces of the kiss.

He and Zelo were bros. What kind of bro kisses his friend’s and dongsaeng’s almost-girlfriend and best friend's sister?

“A bad, erted, disgusting one,” Youngjae answered himself bitterly as he unlocked the door and slipped inside the house.

What’s more, Daehyun would mutilate him. He was already scary enough when Youngjae’s eyes just glanced over to Dari’s general direction during lunch. If he ever caught wind of this incident... Youngjae shivered as he imagined the various scenarios, all of which would not bode well for him or his future children.

Youngjae threw himself onto his bed lethargically.

Why did he have to fall in love with the only girl he couldn’t be with again?

So... How was it? Hope you liked that bit of... stuff. Sorry if it was freaking cheesy and awkward to read. D: It's my first try at describing a kiss! And I've never... I've never had one before. :( Absolutely hate the ending by the way, but I wanted to churn this baby out by Sunday. D: Sorry!

I'm actually really pissed off with myself now. I made a crapton of mistakes for my national examination (yes, national, which means I officially ) and I'm really scared I'll fail. D: If I fail, I don't know what I'll do to myself. :/ On the bright side, I've patched up with a very important person to me! :) We had this super one sided fight and I dumped him as a friend, but now, after about a year, I asked him whether we could be friends again and he said yes. :D Hopefully I don't lose him again. :c He's important.

Hope you enjoyed it! If you have criticism or hate or support, please leave it in the comments below. Since it's the holidays, I'll be updating about once a week! :D Thanks for reading and if you like it, please subscribe!

-Peanut

PS: It's 3.18 in the morning and I am falling asleep as I type. D:

PPS: UPDATE! Ohmigod I can't believe I actually posted this chapter! OTL So... Many... Mistakes... *foams* Sorry guys! (But in my defense it was 3.18 in the morning so you can blame the lack of sleep)

PPPS: There'll be a surprise revealed in the next chapter, so look forward to it! v(>w<)v