Chapter 4

My Brother's Best Friend

Hey all! :D Thanks for all the positive response to the k-k-k-k- (let's just get on with it) Anywayyy, this is the fourth chapter of MBBF! Sit back and enjoy!

---

Ya know, I’m not a very fussy person. I’m quite the simple guy actually. I love skateboarding, dancing, my hyungs, maybe my best friend since kindergarten, etcetera etcetera. Fangirls are a nice addition to my life as well. They’ve made it a lot less boring and all the noonas are really kind to me!

I don’t usually like to interfere in people’s business. Hey, if happens and you tell me about it, that’s great. But if you don’t wanna tell me, it’s cool. I’m not gonna or whine about it like a girl does.

However, when one of my best friends and my super smart, super cool hyung have a little problem with romance, I kinda feel the need to step in.

You see, Youngjae-hyung’s been skirting around Dari for ages (ever since we were in grade 6!) and anyone with half an eyeball can see that he likes her (he still thinks nobody knows though, so shhh), but he’s too scared to tell her for some reason. Queen Dari, ruler of the dense and obtuse, hasn’t figured out that she likes him back either, which really complicates everything.

A lot of people would go "oh but Junhong, why don't you just tell her?" Well firstly, don't call me that name and secondly, if Youngjae-hyung doesn't want to say anything, do I really have the right to in and tell her things I'm not supposed to tell her?

It really is quite the conundrum (something that puzzles). 

So why am I so concerned over this, especially since it doesn’t involve me in any way whatsoever?

… Fine, I’ll admit it.

Don’t tell this to anyone (especially Eunhye, oh god), but I’m a shipper. Yes, I ship people together, regardless of whether they’re fictional or not.

And when I meet a potential couple as star-crossed as Youngjae-hyung and Dari-dumbo… The monster inside me itches to squish their faces together and scream, "NOW, KISS!" 

Anyway, it’s pretty frustrating to see such little development of their relationship dynamic over the course of 4 years. Youngjae-hyung is graduating in a year, and if nothing happens soon… 

Of course, I'm not stepping in for only my benefit. It’s obvious that Queen of the Dumb needs Smarty-pants just as much as he needs her (yes, I gave them nicknames too). And if neither of them is going to act, I’ll act for them. Not only will I solve their problem, I can finally see one of my ships come true! This is called killing two birds with one stone. Buckle up kids, you’re gonna be learning a ton of stuff today.

In fact, Dari’s actually shown a little improvement over the course of this month. She’s so red all the time, especially around her Meatbun-oppa. And yesterday when she called me into her room, she was all “I’m realizing the fact that I’m in love with Meatbun-oppa but I don’t know it yet!” Squee. But Youngjae-hyung is still the same. He just ran away yesterday after he caught the both of us in Dari's room.

So, being the love expert I am, I decided to make a sort of Master Plan, because Youngjae-hyung's growth is stagnant and Dari's is way too slow!

They’re definitely a challenge. Both are absolute idiots and cowards (no offence guyz), even though one of them is a genius at math and the other one is an overall genius at everything.

But then again, have I really been one to step away from a challenge because it’s too tough?

Hell to the no.

I say to you: Challenge, Accepted.

---

I bobbed my head in tune with the music as Eminem rapped away through my earphones. Who gives a damn if I didn’t understand most of the lyrics? Music is the universal language anyway!

Just as Eminem was getting to the really intense part of the song, some douche pulled out my earphones.

“Hey!” I was about to glare at Dari, but the words never left my mouth.

She, for lack of a better phrase, looked like . Her normally cheery grin was missing from her face, leaving behind a droopy frown. Her eyes were encircled with dark eye bags and her normally immaculate hair was tangled and messy. Her uniform was sloppy and wrinkled. Overall, she looked pretty bad.

“Whoa, bro. You okay?” I asked her worriedly.

She shook her head listlessly.

“What happened?”

 “Y-Youngjae-oppa…” she paused.

I waited with bated breath, but she looked like she’d already drifted away from reality. I cleared my throat loudly, bringing her back to earth.

 “He k-k-k-k-k-“ she stammered.

 “He kissed you?” I guessed jokingly because it was obvious that Youngjae-hyung wouldn't do that.

 “Shhhh!” she slapped her small hands around my mouth and blushed furiously. “Don’t let Eunhye hear this! She’ll never stop making fun of me!”

My jaw fell open. I guessed correctly?! Wow, Youngjae-hyung was less cowardly than I thought. Good on you, Youngjae-hyung! I felt like fanboying right then and there, but I controlled myself.

“You just let him do it? No protesting or anything?” I asked.

“It was way too sudden,” she argued, but flicked her gaze away.

“Well, you don’t seem very put off by it,” I noted, making her ears flush with embarrassment.

“Maybe he tripped over something and fell on me,” she countered weakly. "I can't blame him if it's an accident!"

I scoffed. He fell on her and kissed her accidentally? That only happens in shoujo manga! Err… Not that I read shoujo manga or anything.

“But he ran away after that, and I’m so confused about what’s going on, and-”she started babbling again.

“Did you like it?” I interrupted.

“I don’t know!” her face heated up again. “It was weird but… nice. But it was also weird. But it was nice too... Argh, stop asking me such hard questions!”

I decided to initiate Step 1 of the Master Plan.

“Looks like you really do need some help,” I groaned out loud. I rummaged through my bag before pulling out a thick 500-page book which was hell to carry to school. 

“Here, take it. I bought it for you,” I heaved the book onto her table. Well, at least I wasn't the one who had to lug it home today (I'm looking at you Dari).

The Idiot’s Guide to Love, written by Love Expert Kim Sarang,” Dari read off the book.

 “Zelo, why did you buy this for me?” she asked innocently, inspecting the hot pink covers of the book.

This, for your information, is why she is nicknamed Queen of the Dumb.

“Just read it. It could help you,” I smirked as she flipped to the first page.

Step 1, complete.

---

I planned the next step carefully.

I hid at our usual table, only half-listening to Dari and Eunhye chattering about girl things. The problem with having female friends is that nothing they talk about is interesting. I mean, who cares about that 75% off Zalora sale or that "cute Grade 11 boy in Mr. Kim's class"? I sure don't. Wait a minute, what cute Grade 11 boy?

Youngjae-hyung appeared just in the nick of time, forcing my attention away from Eunhye's description of that stupid Grade 11 kid who probably wasn't even as tall or as cool or as awesome as me anyway. He was sitting at the table next to us with the rest of BAP, excluding me of course. He took out a book and flipped to the first page before zoning out. 

Damn, he looked almost as bad as Dari. He was pale, sweating and haggard, as if he hadn't had enough sleep at all. Poor guy must be beating himself up about that kiss.

I was just about to get up and go over to their table when a difficult obstacle appeared. Daehyun-hyung skipped to the table merrily, carrying a huge tray of food. He sat right next to Youngjae-hyung, who barely acknowledged his existence.

As you already know, Daehyun-hyung is a little protective of his sister (okay fine maybe a lot). I had to chase him away if I was gonna get anything out of Youngjae-hyung! I stood up, but Eunhye grabbed my arm.

"Wait, you sure you don't want my help?" she asked concernedly.

"No, it's fine," I said confidently, puffing out my chest. Now I had another reason to accomplish this mission: to impress Eunhye!

I made my way over to the table.

“Hi, hyungs. Can I speak with Youngjae-hyung?” I bowed my head respectfully.

The rest of the members looked at each other and moved away wordlessly. All of them except Daehyun-hyung that is.

“Sure!” he answered brightly, but continued eating his fried noodles.

“Umm… I would like to speak with him alone, please,” I asked again. I was pretty damn sure Daehyun-hyung was doing this on purpose.

“You can say whatever you want with me here," his voice turned steel-cold. Uh-oh.

Youngjae-hyung, who had been staring at the contents page for the past fifteen minutes hadn't even looked up. I didn't even know if he was even listening.

I was just about to panic when an angel (my angel teehee) came in to save me.

"Hey Daehyun-oppa! Dari needs to talk to you!" Eunhye saved the day, a giant smile radiating off her face.

I turned back to Dari. She was absentmindedly touching her lips, looking completely dazed. Did she really want to talk to Dae- OH WAIT I GET IT, it was a diversion!

Daehyun pouted and got up before following her. I nodded subtly to express my thanks as she winked at me.

“Hello, Youngjae-hyung,” I ignored her and sat down where Daehyun-hyung was sitting previously.

 “Yes?” he asked emotionlessly, eyes still staring unfocusedly at his book.

“It’s Zelo,” I said.

He suddenly sat up straighter and looked a lot more menacing.

“What do you want, Junhong? I’m busy."

I felt a little hurt. Did he really have to brush me off like that? I was doing this for his good!

“You know, Dari is smokin’ hot,” I remarked casually, glancing at him from the corner of my eyes.

Obviously I didn’t really think that Dari was hot. Yeah, she’s cute, but real women need curves! Anyway, according to the manga I read, if a potential love rival appears, the main lead will confess in the spur of the moment and sweep the lady off her feet before riding off on a pure white horse. I was simply trying to masquerade as one so Youngjae-hyung would confess. I honestly couldn't see how this wouldn't work.

Sure enough, he tensed up.

“I mean, look at her,” I wolf-whistled as Youngjae-hyung started bristling.

Hmm... This didn't happen in the manga. At this point, the hero was supposed to confess already. Eunhye was signalling to me furiously to stop, but I ignored her. My Master Plan was foolproof. Maybe I had to push him a little further.

“You know that time I was in her room and she was all over me. Damn that was so h-" my cheek hit the table with a resounding crack as everyone’s head whipped up to look.

Youngjae-hyung had smashed my face into the table. I grit my teeth to prevent myself from screaming out. How on earth did he get so strong again?

That’s bound to leave a bruise, I winced.

“Don’t talk about her like that, you bastard,” he bit out before stalking off, book in hand. 

The cafeteria was silent, everyone watching the cool and calm Youngjae-hyung flare up in anticipation. My ladies got up from the tables angrily, probably to defend my honour or something, but I shook my head no. They reluctantly sat back down. Yongguk-hyung was watching us with a guarded expression while Himchan-hyung was off gallivanting with some pretty lady again. 

Okay, maybe I went a little overboard. But the manga said-

The bell trilled loudly as everyone cleared their trays. I peeled myself off the table as Eunhye came by.

"Why didn't you listen to me?" she hissed, a clueless Dari in tow.

I couldn't answer. She huffed and pulled Dari away.

I trudged off to the next class, wondering what to do next.

---

"Hey," I pulled up a chair to Eunhye's table as Mr. Lau packed his things.

Dari was still sitting at her table, struggling with the English worksheet Mr. Lau had handed out while absentmindedly touching her lips every now and then.

"And the man of the hour only asks for help when he's made a complete royal of himself," she said sarcastically, but her eyes were gleaming mischievously. 

Heh. She just wanted in.

"Fine, you win. What do I do now?" I conceded defeat. Perhaps women were better at this love thing after all.

"Well, it's obvious that Youngjae-oppa's self esteem is the main problem here, so what you can do is..."

--- 

“Youngjae-hyung! Wait up!” I cried, weaving through the crowds to get to Youngjae-hyung.

He definitely heard me, because he walked even faster.

Eunhye's plan better work...

“I know your secret!” I yelled desperately.

He stopped. In relief, I caught up to him.

“I know your-” I was about to say again when he grabbed me and dragged me into the male washroom.

“How much do you know?” he questioned angrily.

Geez, Youngjae-hyung needs to go on break someday. He’s so stressed.

“I know you like her,” I replied, staring into his eyes.

All of a sudden, Youngjae-hyung sat down on the toilet bowl and hunched over himself. He looked so defeated.

“What’s wrong, Youngjae-hyung?” I said. “You’re a man. You should take action before anyone else does!”

 “How can I?” he sounded so broken. “I love her.”

… What kind of excuse was that? That was the reason why all of the scenarios I dreamed of in my head hadn’t been realized yet?!

“So the reason you’re not acting on your feelings is because you love her?” I said incredulously.

“I can’t just impose my feelings on her! We’re so different. I’m poor, she’s rich. We’re way too different. She’s pretty and slim; I’m average and fat. She’s so loving and innocent… She deserves someone better. Someone like you,” he ruffled his hair in frustration.

“You didn’t seem to think that when you kissed her on Sunday,” I muttered snarkily, still reeling from his “excuse”.

“Well, I was too caught up in the moment. I regret that,” he admitted. “I shouldn’t have done it. Wait, how do you even know about that?!”

I brushed away his question.

“Dude, do you think she even cares about your social status or your looks? It’s Dari for goodness sake. Dari, the panda maniac. Dari, the incredibly dense girl. Dari, the person who loves everyone for who they are, not for their money or their popularity,” I blurted out, desperate for him to see the light.

“I know, but I can’t compare to her. She’s just so amazing and beautiful and wonderful and I’m just… me. She likes you anyway,” he sighed, leaning his head back.

I had no choice. Poor boy couldn’t see what I was getting at.

“I’m sorry hyung,” I apologized before I gave him the tightest slap I had ever given in the history of tight slaps.

“Oww, what was that for?!” He glared at me, tenderly caressing his cheek.

“Dari doesn’t like me, please. She likes someone else,” I rolled my eyes.

For some reason, he looked even more pitiful.

“She understands him and knows him inside out. She doesn’t care if he’s fat, even though he’s obviously not, or if he’s ugly, which he isn’t either, or short or poor or anything! She loves him for him and that’s that. No aesthetics or skills are involved!” I declared, as he shrank even more.

“He feels exactly the same way about her too! He’s a wonderful person. Kind, humble, smart, talented… It’s just a pity he can’t see it for himself,” I looked him dead-on, willing him to see where I was getting at.

He didn’t look so well. In fact, he looked kinda sad. Did I say something wrong?

“… Sounds like a great guy,” he choked out.

My hand itched to give him another slap. Birds of a feather fall in love together I guess.

“You do know it’s you right?” I groaned, almost slamming my forehead against the wall in frustration.

“What?!” His head whipped to me so fast, I was surprised he didn't get whiplash. "But that's impossible I mean like I'm me and she's like her and we're like incompatible-"

“Yes, you dolt. It’s you,” I grinned.

“How do you know?” he questioned anxiously. “Maybe you got it wrong. Maybe you’re thinking too much. Maybe she’s just sending mixed signals. You know what she's like!”

“Hyung, even though I’ve been friends with Dari since Grade 6, her denseness hasn't rubbed off on me yet,” I joked. “She likes you. She just hasn’t realized it yet!”

His expression darkened. I thought it was because he didn’t think I was funny, but it wasn’t (thank goodness).

He started worriedly, “But what about Daehyun and her parents and my mum and the teachers and everyone else?"

“We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it,” I promised him before bumping my fist into his shoulder. “Eunhye and I'll support you! You already have her friends on your side!”

For the first time in a long while, his eyes really lit up. He looked like he had… hope.

“You can do it, hyung,” I encouraged and pushed him out of the door. “Fighting!”

He turned back to me and smiled a genuine smile.

“Thanks, Zelo.”

“No problem hyung,” I smiled back.

I watched him practically skip out of the bathroom with glee before fanboying myself silly. 

---

Hello (again). :D How was it? Ahhh it was totally my first time ever writing in Zelo POV. And I've redone this chapter like a billion and one times! D: Hope you guys liked it but if you didn't just like write it in the doobleydoo and I'll read and cry and like mutilate gummy bears. :(

Anyway, like I mentioned last week (if you didn't read it, go back one chapter and see the A/N on the bottom!), I'm going to have a surprise the next chapter! So... to commemorate me not quitting yet, every five/ten chapters I'm going to put a little mini story about ANYONE in the story's universe! It's up to YOU GUYS to decide what you want me to write! Example would be: Dari coming home from the hospital for the first time, Eunhye and Zelo meeting for the first time, Himchan's desperate attempts to get a girlfriend, etc. So just like suggest something in the comments or something! :D Please suggest something guys. :( you can even suggest absurd things like Himchan tripping over his shoelace or Daehyun's first chocolate cake experience or anything. :)

Plus, I'm thinking of starting a sort of Oneshot Factory thingy, where people send in requests for oneshots. I know there're lots of those running around AFF, but I honestly want to try doing one. :3 What do you guys think? And it saves the trouble of thinking of a plot! Okay that's just being lazy. :( 

As always, any hate, love, criticism etc in the comments box! Be harsh because I'm really awkward at writing! D: 

See you next week!  ^^

-Peanut

PS: I'm sorry if you guys don't like Zelo POV if you don't I promise I'll never do it again... TT^TT But it seemed like a good idea three months ago!

PPS: Dari really isn't that great a girl. She's not a Mary Sue I promise!