Chapter 5

My Brother's Best Friend

 Ermahgerd Peanut's not dead! Hi guys sorry I didn't post this chappie up last week... :( I actually had it finished then but I didn't like it and then I wrote a whole new other one but I didn't like that one either so I decided to go with this one. D: Sorry! Without further ado, please enjoy the 5th chapter of MBBF!

So basically, the main point of love is to know the other person inside out and to love all of his flaws just the same (this was me bullting). Okay, this is bullcrap,” I shut the book in annoyance. Thank God I finally finished it. 

For a so-called love expert, this Kim Sarang lady really didn’t know what love was about, did she? Love was… Love was… Well it definitely wasn’t what she thought it was. This woman had no clue what she was writing about.

My phone buzzed.

“Hey Zelo!” I put him on speaker as I pulled on my jacket and straightened my skirt.

“Has Youngjae-hyung contacted you yet? Have you finished the book?” he asked immediately. 

I frowned. Zelo was behaving very weirdly nowadays. First the book and now, the constant references to Youngjae-oppa. What was he trying to pull?

“No he hasn’t, and I’ve read it from cover to cover. It ! This Kim Sarang lady doesn’t know a thing about love. You should stop buying this series,” I replied as Hyosung-unnie knocked on the door.

“Aish, Jung Dari! You both are so… Argh!” he yelled exasperatedly and hung up the phone.

“What’s with him all of a sudden?” I stared at my phone in wonder.

I stuffed the Android into my bag before heading downstairs.

---

“Dari, I have good news from Mr. Hwang and his son,” Father smiled from across the table as I spread my toast.

I looked up in curiosity as Hyunnie-oppa, who finally managed to wake up on time for once, scoffed his breakfast greedily.

Mr. Hwang was one of Father’s oldest and most beloved business associates, having a working relationship that spanned over 30 years. They'd been friends ever since childhood (Father was from Busan). I didn't know he had kids though, let alone a son.

“His son is just about your age,” Father continued. “They want you to become his playmate. He’s coming over today to meet you.”

Hyunnie-oppa choked. Quick as lightning, Sunhwa-unnie whacked him hard on the back, making him cough up a particularly large piece of waffle.

“What?! She’s getting a fiancé?!” Hyunnie-oppa cried, flipping over his empty tray. His (thankfully empty) cup rolled off the table and shattered into a million pieces.

I winced at the noise as Father replied.

“No, she’s getting a friend,” Father’s eyebrow twitched and he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

"That sounds fun-" I started to reply when Hyunnie-oppa cut me off.

“SHE’S ONLY 16! SHE CAN’T GET MARRIED YET!” Hyunnie-oppa yelled, pointing an accusatory finger at Father. “You conniving old man, you just want to marry her off and take her away from me, don’t you?!”

Mother cleared loudly and glared at the both of them. I tried to pacify the both of them, but to no avail.

“Well, MY darling daughter only has two friends because of some people here!” Father stood up from the table, yelling back. "If you weren't as handsome as me, you wouldn't have those bloodthirsty fangirls who're willing to commit murder just to keep you away from any females, including your own sister!"

I raised my finger to object that I did have more than two friends (because really, his fangirls are a scary bunch of people), but was beaten to it by Hyunnie-oppa.

He gasped loudly, grasping his chest.

“My fangirls are wonderful people (yeah, tell him Daehyun)! Leave them alone, you stupid old-"

And then, for once, calm, collected Mother reacted violently.

“SHUT UP!” Mother yelled. She threw her newspaper on the table angrily, before slamming the table.

 “I have an important meeting later, and if you two keep being such a headache, I’ll tape you both to the wall!”

A butler promptly handed her a roll of tape, which she shoved into Father's face angrily.

The two of them promptly quietened down and continued with breakfast silently. 

I busied myself in completing my breakfast, ignoring the two of them glaring at each other over my head.

---

“Your brother is completely nuts,” Eunhye guffawed, holding to her sides in laughter.

Zelo was staring unfocusedly at Eunhye’s direction. It didn’t even seem like he was listening.

“Anyway, then my father went, my darling daughter doesn’t have-” I started as my phone buzzed, interrupting me midspeech.

I took my phone out of my bag and opened the new message.

“You free later? -Meatbun” it read.

I stared at the message as my heart started dancing again. It was Saturday, already almost a week after Youngjae-oppa and I… had that unfortunate incident. We hadn't been able to have a proper conversation in days, which was a lot considering the fact that we used to talk almost every day before last Sunday. Whenever we made eye contact, either in school or at home, he'd avert his eyes and completely blow me off. To be honest, it kinda stung a bit. But now that he was texting me normally, I didn't know whether to feel relieved or annoyed that he'd completely bypassed the elephant in the room (something really obvious/major that's being ignored).

“Jello, come see this!” Eunhye called out, interrupting my reverie. She was leaning over my shoulder, a wide smirk forming on her face.

I hugged the phone protectively and glared at Eunhye, but she was already whispering the message to Zelo. He let out an extremely shrill giggle before clamping his mouth shut. I could see that he was trying very hard not to smile.

“So are you gonna meet him?” Zelo squealed before clearing his throat and repeating the question in his normal voice.

I stared at him suspiciously, but then I recalled the Busan boy.

 “Oh no, I have to meet someone else after school! He’s some guy I have to make friends with,” I bashed my head into the table.

“A guy?” Eunhye’s voice came out all sneaky, as if she was insinuating something.

“Sorry, can’t come today! TT^TT Father set me up for some playdate. I'll make it up to you, I promise!” I sent the message to him before placing my phone back in my bag.

“I don’t even know his name. Father just wants me to meet Mr. Hwang’s son,” I crinkled my nose.

“Mr. Hwang’s son? I’ve heard he’s a total cutie pie,” Eunhye gushed. “He goes to some rich kids’ school in Busan! But I really can't recall his name...”

“He’s not that cute,” Zelo mumbled, annoyed. “All he has is height anyway, and I’m taller than him.”

“Yeah, by only one centimetre,” Eunhye scoffed. Zelo pouted at her before continuing.

“Why don’t you just reschedule the meeting? I think Youngjae-hyung needs to see you about something very important,” he added in hurriedly.

“But I just told him I couldn’t,” I looked weirdly at Zelo. “You've been acting really strangely these past few days.”

Eunhye coughed loudly as Zelo panicked.

“U-u-uh, the bell’s about to ring, I better go check if I did my homework!” he dashed off to his seat at the other side of the classroom.

“What an idiot,” Eunhye sighed. “Tell me all about the guy later, okay?”

“Don’t remind me about it,” I groaned as the bell rang, signalling the start of the next lesson.

 “Go enjoy the playdate!” she called out with a laugh as I slouched back to my seat.

---

Father had excused me from school six hours earlier to prepare for the meeting. I don’t even know how he did it, but then again, he was the CEO of a big banking corporation. I was hustled into the room by Hyosung-unnie, who had promptly drawn me a bath and prepared my clothes as I lingered in the tub. Now, freshly bathed and changed, I sat at the dressing table as she brushed my hair carefully.

She pinned it up into some weird bun hairstyle and sprayed me with a bit of orange-scented perfume. She pulled me up gently and got me to twirl a little.

“You look so pretty, Ms. Jung!” Hyosung-unnie squealed.

I didn’t quite think so. The pale pink dress they’d forced on me felt rather suffocating and girly. It was a sparkly, one-shoulder-strap dress and had little pearls sewn all over it. It was completed with a white sash that Hyosung-unnie had tied into a bow. She had also paired it with a pair of white ballet flats with pearls sewn into the exterior. In my opinion, I looked pretty… weird.

According to Hyosung-unnie, Father had come home early and dropped the dress off, declaring that “my daughter WILL have more than two friends!”

“You know I haven’t worn a dress for five years right?” I groaned as she made me twirl again. “Why can’t I just wear shorts and a tee?”

“Well, I heard that the boy you’re going to meet is quite the catch. If you wear something as beautiful as this dress, you’ll surely gain his attention!” Hyosung-unnie gushed.

“I don’t even want to meet him, let alone attract him!” I complained as she fiddled with the bow at the back of the dress.

“Now now, you haven’t even seen the poor guy yet! Give him a chance alright?” she smiled sweetly as the doorbell rang.

“Oh, he’s here! Let me give you a few more squirts and we’re all set!” she giggled girlishly as she drenched me in the perfume.

She pulled me out by the hand as we went down to meet my new playmate.

---

Hyosung-unnie brought me out to the courtyard, where a special lawn table and two chairs had been set up. The sun was not yet setting, but cast a beautiful golden glow over the house. A lanky man was reclining in one of the chairs. Hyosung-unnie readjusted the bow on my dress before sending me to meet the new boy.

I tapped him on the shoulder, not really expecting anything. He turned around and my jaw dropped.

He was… beautiful. There were no other words or phrases to describe him. He was sitting down on the chair, one long leg over the other. His eyes were gentle and his lips were perfectly pink and proportioned. His smile was charming and regal. He wore a black pinstriped suit as well as black leather loafers. His hair was styled perfectly too, messy, yet not overly messy.

“G-g-good afternoon,” I mumbled, curtsying.

The pretty boy snapped his fingers once. His butler came rushing by and laid down a pure white cloth before bowing and walking away backwards.

“To whom may I owe this pleasure?” his voice was sweet as honey as he kneeled on one leg and kissed the top of my hand.

“I-I’m Jung Dari,” I stammered.

“Good afternoon Ms. Jung Dari. My name is Hwang Minhyun,” he greeted courteously and pulled out the chair for me. “May I call you Dari? You may call me Minhyun-oppa in return, if you wish.”

I nodded my head shyly and sat down on the seat, intimidated by this handsome gentleman. I straightened my back, trying to match his aura of chilled-out royalty.

“So, tell me about yourself, Dari,” he asked politely as he leaned back in his own chair, sipping a cup of tea.

“I am 16 years old, and currently a first-year in the high school section of TS Academy. I have a dog named Popo,” I replied stiffly, hands crossed over each other.

“It’s cute that you’re so stiff, but please relax a little,” he laughed. “I’m here to be friends, not business partners.”

Easy for him to say. With his posture, he’d look like a foreign prince even if he was wearing a cardboard box. I felt like a Neanderthal just looking at him.

 “Well, I’m 17 years old and currently enrolled into Pledis University. I enjoy playing golf, basketball and tennis,” Minhyun-oppa continued. “I also sing and play the piano.”

“University?” I asked curiously, cocking my head to one side.

“I skipped two grades back in middle school,” he chuckled bashfully, the tips of his ears reddening. “I’m now in my first year.”

“Wow, you’re really smart, aren’t you?” I asked wonderingly, before slapping my hands to my mouth. “Not that I assumed you were stupid or anything, just that-”

“Well, if it’ll improve your impression of me, yes, I am really smart,” he winked. “It’s a pity TS doesn’t allow you to skip grades though. I’ve heard about your mathematics!”

“I’m not that great,” I felt myself blush all the way to my toes as he laughed one more time.

This Minhyun-oppa wasn’t such a bad guy after all.

---

Youngjae clenched his fists in anger as he watched the two chatting happily with each other. He was concealed in a bush near their table, and could catch glimpses of their conversation.

It was Dari’s fault for sending him that cryptic message. Playdate? Who went on playdates when they were 16 years old? It all smelled fishy with a capital F. And he'd just about mustered up the courage to tell her too!

Youngjae was dying to know what was going on. During lunch, he’d feigned illness and had gotten an excuse letter from the teacher to return home for the day. Obviously, he didn’t go home. Instead, he headed over to the Jung mansion.

Thank God Sunhwa-noona told him where they were going to talk. He had just managed to throw himself into a bush before the stupid lanky boy strode in on his stupid long legs, accompanied by his stupid personal butler.

“All he has is height anyway,” Youngjae muttered jealously to himself as the two exchanged contact details.

But when Dari had walked in, Youngjae's jaw had literally hit the ground. He'd already known that she was pretty, but she looked beautiful in the dress.

He stiffened as Min-what's-his-face tucked a stray curl behind her ear.

He knew she was probably smitten with this boy (which was a little painful to watch), but he seemed too good to be true. I mean, smart, rich, handsome and tall? There had to be a catch. He shifted his position and continued watching.

---

Everything was going fantastically until he popped the question.

“Pardon my forwardness, but do you have a partner, Dari?” he asked, leaning forward, placing his teacup on its saucer.

“Partner?” I asked confusedly. Did he mean desk partner?

“Boyfriend, fiancé, crush, male friend I should be wary of…” Minhyun-oppa trailed away, eyes bright with anticipation.

“Male friends? Umm… I have a few male friends, but I’m closest to Zelo and Youngjae-oppa,” I replied. I couldn’t help but flush at Youngjae-oppa’s name.

“… I see. This Youngjae-oppa… Is he special?” he asked, looking a wee bit... envious? But what for?

“Umm… Uhh… He’s an important person to me,” I couldn’t place what he was in my heart. He seemed more than a friend, but definitely not a brother…

 Minhyun-oppa coughed.

“Regardless of that, you’re still single right?” He asked again, even more eagerly this time.

“Yes, but… Why are you so interested in my dating life anyway?” I asked curiously.

He stood up from his chair. I stared at him, dumbfounded.

“I can’t hide this from you anymore. I’m here because my father asked me one day if I’d like to pick a girl from a list of potential candidates and well, you were one of them. The minute I saw your profile, I was overcome. You’re beautiful, adorable, smart, funny… Just my type,” he paced on the ground agitatedly as I swirled the tea in my cup.

“Why did he want you to pick a girl?” I asked, intrigued. “And why was I there?”

But Minhyun-oppa ignored me.

He got down on his knees and held out a tiny maroon velvet box.

“I love you, Dari. Will you marry me?” he asked, eyes sparkling.

“Wait, what the f-” I almost launched myself off the chair in shock, but the table flipped over before I could even move, sending Mother’s best china to the ground. Unfortunately, the table hit Minhyun-oppa too and he landed on the grass with a painful thud.

He let out a really high-pitched gasp and immediately dabbed at his trousers in horror.

I whipped my head up. Meatbun-oppa was standing where the table once was, leaves stuck in his hair and mud smeared over his face. He was trembling and glaring at Minhyun-oppa.

“What are you doing here?” I asked in surprise, but Minhyun-oppa interrupted his answer.

“Oh my god, this is an Armani suit!” he shrieked in horror. “And these are Salvatore Ferragamo shoes! They’re made of genuine alligator leather!”

I got out of the chair slowly as Minhyun-oppa tried to clean the grass stains off his pants.Poor Minhyun-oppa looked so pitiful on the ground. I leaned over to help him up, but Meatbun-oppa stopped me.

Minhyun-oppa staggered up from the ground by himself and dabbed at his suit angrily.

“Do you even know who I am?” he screamed, whipping his head to face Meatbun-oppa. "I am the son of-"

His voice trailed off. For some reason, he turned really red and his mouth fell open. He didn’t look so upset over the shoes anymore.

Meatbun-oppa took his gaze as a challenge, so he stepped up to Minhyun-oppa and stared him straight in the eye. Minhyun-oppa just turned even redder and his eyes sparkled abnormally.

“Don’t you dare come near Dari, you stinky rich bas-” he never got to finish that sentence.

Right in front of my eyes, Hyosung-unnie’s eyes and his own personal butler’s eyes, Minhyun-oppa leaned down to touch his lips with Meatbun-oppa’s.

The whole world stopped turning. The situation was so unbelievable that I felt like laughing, but I couldn’t. I didn’t know why, but seeing the two of them kiss made me feel kinda disappointed, even if I knew that Meatbun-oppa definitely wasn’t gay.

He held them there for a good ten seconds before releasing himself from him.

He turned to me.

“I apologize, Dari. I really thought you were the one, but I feel a real connection with this wonderful specimen of a human being (Minhyun you completely understand us Brainboxes),” he stared mournfully at me. "I hope we can still be friends."

Well, to his credit, he did sound genuinely sorry.

“Of course we can, but you don’t even know who he is!” I protested, but he ignored me.

“I’ll see you around, hot stuff,” Minhyun-oppa winked suggestively at Meatbun-oppa, who was practically frozen to the ground.

He strode out of the compound, butler in tow and we were left in complete silence.

All of the blood had rushed out of poor Meatbun-oppa’s face and it looked like his soul had left his body.

I dragged him to my room as Hyosung-unnie fretted over the mess in the courtyard and how she was going to explain to Mother that her best china was now lying in fragments on the grassy floor.

---

He had just been kissed by a guy. A tall, handsome guy yes, but Youngjae hadn’t enjoyed the “kiss” at all. Perhaps it was because he was completely straight or the fact that this guy was proposing to his girl just a mere five minutes before, but Youngjae wanted to raze the memory to the ground.

Youngjae shook his head and refocused on his surroundings. He appeared to be in Dari’s room, leaning against her bed as she bustled about. Pandas were everywhere as usual, but only one was on her bed. He couldn't help the little smile as he recognized the cheap little ball of fluff sitting proudly on her pillows. He focused his attention onto Dari next.

Honestly, she looked beautiful. She was flushed and all out of breath from pulling a deadweight like him up three flights of stairs, her dress was splattered with mud and dry leaves and her hair had been half-undone from its elegant bun, now falling messily around her face, but my God, she was beautiful.

Could he really trust Zelo? Sure, he had been Dari's best friend for so long, but he didn't  really know if Dari did like him... right? Plus, Dari had been all over that Minhyun guy and he had nothing in common with this Minhyun guy. If she liked guys like Min-whatever... how could she like him? This whole experience had just opened his eyes to how horribly low the chance he had with her was. With guys like that competing for her... Damn.

“Youngjae-oppa? Youngjae-oppa, you alright?” She was waving her hand in front of his face. She’d changed from her mud-streaked dress into black running shorts and a blue tank top and now squatted expectantly in front of him.

 “Huh? Oh yeah, I’m fine,” he replied, shaking himself out of his reverie.

 “Thank goodness you’re okay now,” she leaned over and hugged him, literally making his heart almost stop. “You looked like you'd died and went to hell just now. I was so worried!”

Youngjae was incapable of speaking, aside from making weird unintelligible squeaks.

She released him from the hug and he immediately missed the warmth (and her stupid orange smell). She moved to sit right beside him, almost close enough to touch. 

"So you like this Minhyun character?" Youngjae asked a little quickly, trying not to drain what little confidence he had left away.

"What? No I don't!" she burst into a fit of giggles. "Sure, he's cute and all, but I'm not interested in him that way! Even though he did propose, which was kinda weird... but he's a nice person."

"... Ah." A big grin formed on his face without him even knowing.

"Why do you ask? Do you like guys like Minhyun-oppa?" she looked at him, no trace of humor in her face.

He choked on his saliva. "What, no I'm not gay or anyth-"

"Relax, Meatbun-oppa. I was just joking, I know you're not gay." she started to laugh, before her face got serious again. "Or are you? You are pretty close to Hyunnie-oppa ..."

His face blanched. She couldn't seriously be thinking he was gay with his best friend right? (DAEJAE FTW just sayin')

"I'm kidding, you pabo (fool/idiot but in this context it's affectionate please don't stone me for calling him pabo)!" she burst into laughter again.

Youngjae laughed uneasily along with her as they settled into a comfortable silence.

“Hey,” she nudged him after a few moments, “can you sing a song for me?”

“What song do you want me to sing?” he asked back, turning to look at her.

“Umm… The first one you sang!” she exclaimed excitedly.

“But you always want me to sing that one,” he complained, taking the chance to shift a little closer to her like a sneaky little ninja. “Why do you like it so much?”

“Well, it is our special song…” she mused, looking up at the ceiling again. “Please?”

He could feel his face turning hot. How on earth does she not know the effect she has on me again?

“Fine…” he gave in and started to sing.

---

“Things really have changed between us, haven’t they?” I asked, leaning my head down onto his shoulder as he hummed the ending notes.

The song ended abruptly. I looked up to him in curiosity. Why did he stop?

His face was pale and he looked like he couldn’t breathe. I stared at him worriedly. Was he falling sick?

“N-no, everything is still fine,” his voice cracked. “Everything’s exactly the same, as always.”

Yup, he’s probably falling sick.

“Are you okay?” I asked, touching my forehead to his, like how he’d taught me. “What’s wrong?”

If it was even possible, he turned even redder. He tried to push me away and stand up at the same time, but I stubbornly latched onto his arm. A good friend wouldn't let their friends go home by themselves, especially if they were feeling sick!

He was so disoriented, he ended up tripping on the rug and tumbling onto me. He pushed me to the ground, effectively trapping me against the floor.

Brown stared into brown as the seconds ticked past slowly. His eyes bore into mine. I shivered at the intensity of the pure emotion trapped in his coffee-coloured irises. I could feel his breath fanning out onto my cheeks, causing me to blush furiously.

I opened my mouth to say something, but I completely forgot what I was about to say when his eyes flicked downwards to my lips.

Before I knew it, his lips crashed down on mine. My eyes closed immediately, as did his. The world melted away and my arms encircled his neck, trying to bring him closer. I could feel his fingers threading through my hair softly as he moved his lips urgently against mine. My lips were already starting swell from the sheer force he was using.

This kiss was completely different from our first one. It was a lot more desperate, needy, frantic…

I didn’t even know why, but I was responding to him. Why was I even kissing him again?

He nibbled on my lip and I gasped in surprise, interrupting the atmosphere.

All of a sudden, the weight was released off me. I blinked my eyes repeatedly, trying to focus on the image of Youngjae-oppa opening the door. I got to my feet in a hurry, not wanting him to go for some inexplicably strange reason.

 “D-don’t-” I stammered through my bruised lips.

“Don’t what, Dari?” he snapped, shrugging on his soiled jacket.

Maybe I had been a little tired after that hectic day. Maybe his response had been a little hurtful. Maybe the shock of being proposed to, being un-proposed to a mere five minutes later and then being suddenly and mind-blowingly kissed had left me a little rattled.

I pushed him out of the door, tears already threatening to fall.

“Don’t ever talk to me again!” I slammed the door in his face.

---

Youngjae punched the wall in anger. He’d lost control again. He was supposed to be the cool, calm, collected one in the group, but when it came to her, all sense of responsibility flew out the window. Thank goodness she’d woken him up before he did anything worse.

When he had snapped at her, it wasn’t her he was angry at. It was himself. He hated himself. Why was he so weak? Why couldn’t he man up and just tell her? Thanks to his cowardice, everyone was getting hurt, including the one he loved so much.

He could hear her noisy sobs through the thick oak door.

Desperately, he pounded on the door.

“Dari, let me in,” he pleaded.

“No. Go away.”

“Why?” he asked, slouching against the door.

“Tell me why you kissed me.”

“I-I can’t…”

“So you did it for s and giggles?” she asked bitterly.

“It’s not that!” he insisted, frustrated. Just say it!

“Then why can’t you just tell me?!” she yelled angrily. “I deserve to know what the heck is going on between us and-“

“Dammit Dari!” he shouted through the door. “I like you!”

Thick, heavy silence condensed onto the house.

Youngjae felt a pit open up in his stomach.

Oh. Zelo was wrong. She didn't feel the same. She didn't like him back.

He'd risked their friendship for romance and now he'd lost both.

“J-Just forget I said anything,” he choked out.

He picked himself off the floor and sprinted out of the house.

---

How was it? :D Ahhhhhhh sorry for the shoddy work but it's officially the longest chappie I've ever written (4000+words)! :( I'll try to update more, but you can expect another 2-week-long wait next week because I have TESTS! And I have HOMEWORK! And I have a LIFE! No I'm kidding but I do have a lot of stuff on next week. :(

Not foreshadowing or anything, but would you guys prefer a Eunhye POV or a Daehyun POV next week? :D

Okay, that's all I have for you guys, except for the fact that COFFEE SHOP CAME OUT  *fangirls* and don't stone me but that Marilyn Monroe hat didn't look good at all on Youngjae :X but the rest of his outfits did!!!!! <3

As always, any comments/hate/love you may leave below and please subscribe if you like it! :D

Hugs and Kisses,

Peanut

PS: I can't be the only Eunlo shipper right (that's right, even made a name for them)? 

PPS: DID YOU GUYS KNOW THAT AN ULZZANG CALLED LEE EUNHYE EXISTS because I didn't! D: Just to clarify, Lee Eunhye (my one) is not based on Lee Eunhye (the real one)! AND DID YOU KNOW HYE IS PRONOUNCED HYEH NOT HAI?! D: