Chapter 1

My Brother's Best Friend

 

Hey guys! It's Peanut here. :) Thank you for all of the positive response! This is the second chapter of MBBF. Without further ado, please enjoy!

---

The first time I met Meatbun-oppa was 6 years ago, when Hyunnie-oppa brought him home. I honestly don’t remember why I called him Meatbun-oppa, but the pet name had stuck throughout the years, even up to now.

He was my brother’s best friend and by default, one of mine too. I always considered him a close bro, sometimes even closer to me than Eunhye or Zelo were. He knew me inside-out and vice-versa. These feelings of friendship had never changed, not even in the slightest. That is, until my fifth year at TS Academy.

---

“OMG, it’s BAP!” girls from the high school section squealed as somewhere far away, the boys from BAP waved. Eunhye was also craning her neck, trying to look above the masses to find the boys she so dearly loved.

I rolled my eyes at her eagerness and brushed my long hair with a comb before tying it up into a bun.

“Honestly, I don’t know why you’re so into them,” I complained, grabbing my books and shutting my locker.

“Geesh Dari, not everyone gets to mingle with the boys from BAP every week, unlike some people here,” she huffed, before shutting hers. “Plus, I’ve never seen them up close before, even though I've been here for 10 years! They were famous even back in the elementary section!”

“You can’t imagine the number of death threats I get just because Hyunnie-oppa’s my big brother,” I grumbled as we walked to class. "They all think I'm secretly his girlfriend or something."

"Well, at least you only entered TS in Grade 5. All of the girls in my Grade 4 class had the hots for Daehyun-oppa and would likely have killed you if they found out you lived with him," she joked.

"They still do it now!" I pouted as Eunhye laughed.

“Can’t be helped, your brother is one of the most popular guys here after-” she stopped in her tracks suddenly.

Unfortunately for me, I didn’t and ended up colliding into someone. I fell backwards, but someone caught me from behind.

“Watch it, Junhong!” I glared at Zelo, my classmate and close buddy.

He grinned cheekily and ruffled my hair. Girls surrounding us swooned and glared at me.

Here we go again, I rolled my eyes in exasperation.

“Sorry Dari,” he apologized.

"Bye Eunhye," he waved shyly before skateboarding off on Jessica, followed by his massive group of noona fans who bared their teeth at us menacingly.

“You’re not supposed to do that in the hallway!” I called out to him, but his bluish-grey head was already lost in the sea of faces. That boy...

“You okay?” A familiar husky voice whispered in my ear.

“Yeah, thanks for catching me, Meatbun-oppa,” I grinned up at Youngjae-oppa, who stood alone.

Even though Youngjae-oppa was also part of BAP, he didn't have any fans at all. Most of the people from TSA were loaded, and so, they often detested things they found "common". Unfortunately, this applied to Youngjae-oppa too. 

He said nothing but just stared. I started to feel a little self-conscious, which was weird. My heart beat a little faster as Youngjae-oppa’s eyes bore into mine. Heat rushed to my face and I broke the glance hastily. What is going on with me? This has never happened before. I wondered to myself, confused. Unfortunately, he noticed this as well.

He placed his forehead against mine, making my heart jump even more quickly.

“Hmm, you don’t seem to be having a fever. Take care of yourself okay?” he leaned in close to my ear.

“You look good today.”

He gave me a wink and jogged off, ears tinged slightly red.

"... We should get to class," I squeaked as Eunhye smirked at me knowingly.

---

“And that is how you differentiate the natural logarithm. Any questions?” Mr. Cho pointed to the blackboard.

Usually, I would be paying attention. After all, I was crushing on Mr. Cho madly. He was tall, young and handsome, easily the most attractive teacher on campus. Plus, on good days, he would make up goofy songs and dances about math. However, today was not a usual day. My heart was still racing from before. The memory of our foreheads touching brought a fresh red stain to my cheeks. I doodled in my notepad distractedly, not paying attention until a ruler whacked my table.

“Ms. Jung, please pay attention to the lesson,” Mr. Cho pushed his glasses up his nose snootily and walked back to the front of the class.

“Dude, stop spacing out,” Zelo whispered from beside me.

I glanced at him and shrugged.

“What happened?” Zelo asked, but was interrupted by Mr. Cho, who cleared his throat really loudly.

“Jung Dari and Choi Junhong, if you do not wish to participate in this lesson, you may leave,” he spoke cuttingly.

I buried my nose in my Math textbook and tried (but failed) to concentrate on the rest of the lesson.

---

A shrill voice awoke me from my slumber. 

“Riri! You forgot your lunch again!” Hyunnie-oppa poked me in the cheeks before grinning at me excitedly.

I groaned as I lifted my head off the lunch table. It was 3pm, lunchtime. School was half-over and we still had at least 6 hours of hell left. I was currently waiting for Eunhye to finish up her tuition so we could eat together during our 45 minute lunch break. Daehyun-oppa placed my lunch on the table and squished closer to me. I nodded my head in thanks before placing my head back on the table, staring off into the distance.

“What’s wrong Riri? Are you sick?” Hyunnie-oppa asked worriedly.

Just like Youngjae-oppa, he leaned in and touched his forehead to mine.

“Hmm, you feel really hot,” he mumbled.

I was bewildered. There was a sort of strange feeling when Youngjae-oppa did it to me, but when Daehyun-oppa did it, there wasn’t any strange feeling that made my heart beat faster or anything.

“I think you should go home. You look a bit green. I’ll call up Mr. Park to fetch you,” he fished out his mobile phone from his pocket.

I started to object, but Hyunnie-oppa silenced me with his fingers.

“Hi Mr. Park, can you- really? Oh then I’m sorry for disturbing you,” Daehyun-oppa put his iPhone back into his pocket.

“Mr. Park’s at a funeral so he can’t come,” he sighed. "The maids and butlers are having an off day too..."

“I don’t have to go home, I don’t feel sick,” I said. I did feel a bit lightheaded, but other than that, I was pretty okay.

“Nonsense. You’re going home and that’s that. I can’t walk you home though. I’ve got Math tuition with Mr. Cho… Ah! Wait here, Riri!” Daehyun-oppa brightened up and dashed off.

I stared after him, a cold mass of dread settling in the pit of my stomach.

He came running back after 5 minutes, lugging someone with him. My sense of dread was spot on.

“Youngjae is available to bring you home! Since you’re not feeling well, he doesn’t mind bringing you back,” Daehyun-oppa grinned madly, before checking his watch.

“Aish, late again! Mr. Cho is going to kill me! Bye!” He went running off again, leaving the both of us alone.

Hurray.

“So, ready to go?” Youngjae-oppa gestured towards his back.

“You don’t need to carry me,” I stammered, refusing to look into his eyes.

He scoffed and leaned down. I wasn’t really paying attention, so I didn’t realize what he was going to do next.

He picked me up bridal style.

“Put me down, Yoo Youngjae!” I yelled, whacking him with my fists.

“Not unless you let me carry you! You’ve obviously not been feeling well since morning and I should have noticed but I didn’t, so let me at least do this!” he yelled back.

By this time, the whole cafeteria was staring. I stopped protesting.

“You were feeling guilty because of that?” I asked curiously.

He saw that I wasn’t fighting him anymore and put me down before gesturing to his back. I sighed and got on, praying that I wouldn’t be too heavy.

“Yeah, I should have checked more thoroughly,” he said, angry at himself. “Now your condition’s worse.”

“It’s not your fault,” I mumbled into his neck and leaned into his broad back.

“Don’t worry me like that again, okay?” he asked softly, looking back at me. I nodded my head frantically.

He adjusted my position until I was resting comfortably and set off for home. The rhythmic pace of his walking gently lulled me to sleep.

---

I heard the ruffling of covers. Peeking one eye open, I noticed Youngjae-oppa tucking me in. He turned to go, but I caught his shirt sleeve out of impulse.

“Stay, please?” my voice came out hoarse and whiny. What the heck am I doing?

A smile lit up his face.

“You need me to sing you a song just like the old times?” he smirked, sitting back down by the side of the bed.

I chuckled nervously, nodding my head even though singing was the last thing on my mind.

He dragged a chair over, sat down and started singing the song he sang when he first came to our house.

I stared at him through half-mast eyelids. Since when had he looked so… un-meatbun-like? Over the years, most of his baby fat had been lost, leaving a muscular but toned physique. His facial features had also sharpened, making him look a lot manlier than before. His hair was also a lot shorter and lighter-coloured. That was probably the work of Himchan-oppa, the fashionista of BAP. I never realized how much he had changed until now.

What happened?

“Ehh… Nothing happened, I’m still the same Meatbun-oppa as before,” Youngjae-oppa stopped singing and stared at me weirdly.

Oh crap. I asked that out loud?

“Yeah you did. You seem really out of it today. Are you okay?” he innocently covered my hand with his. His hand was a lot warmer and bigger than mine, enveloping my handtotally.

Heat rushed to my face. I panicked and flailed about, accidentally throwing myself off the bed and landing on the floor in a crumpled heap.

Smooth move, Jung Dari, my mind whispered snarkily as I peeled myself off the floor and clambered back onto the bed, where Youngjae-oppa was trying not to laugh.

“Yeah, you’re really sick. I’ll go make you some tea, so just lie here and rest first,” Youngjae-oppa pushed back the chair and tucked me in before sauntering out of the room.

I grabbed Jae, my favourite stuffed panda and closed my eyes. Perhaps the fever was affecting my brain signals. Within minutes, I was fast asleep.

---

Youngjae opened the door quietly, noticing that Dari had finally fallen asleep. He placed the tea tray, which was carrying a cup of chrysanthemum tea and a jar of cookies, on the study table before gently sitting himself down at her bed, trying not to make a sound.

He looked at her and smiled faintly. He hummed his favourite tune and started to her hair before yawning widely.

I guess I could take a short nap. I’m late for afternoon classes anyway, Youngjae justified himself, but inside, he really knew why he wanted to stay.

He might just have the teeniest crush on Jung Dari, his best friend’s little sister. In fact, this teeny tiny crush had begun when he was 16, which meant she was 13, which meant he was a gross hebephile (guy who likes prepubescent girls i.e. 13 year olds) who liked cute 13 year old girls.

She was a bad one to fall for. Her father was THE Jung Ganghan, owner of Ganghan bank, one of the oldest and biggest banks in Korea. Her mother, Jung Chinjeol, was a famous politician who was currently serving in the National Assembly (Korean Parliament).

His mother on the other hand, was a lowly clerk who was coincidentally working in Ganghan Bank and his father was cut out from his life. In other words, she had more money in her little pinky than he had in his entire body. He was worlds apart from her status; he would never be able to match up to her.

He watched her cuddle the ratty stuffed panda he’d gotten for her 13th birthday. It was a cheap and badly made product, because he couldn’t afford to spend so much, but she had accepted it with a giant smile on her face. Just thinking of that memory brought a grin to his own. In fact, that incident to him, was what made him fall head over heels for her. 

He remembered what he said in the morning. You look good today. He groaned quietly. What kind of compliment was that? He was about as smooth as sandpaper.

Maybe I should take lessons from Himchan-hyung, Youngjae wondered. He always get all the ladies. But it doesn't matter does it? I can't be with her.

Sighing, he leaned his head down to her bed, eyes already closing.

I'll probably regret this later, but screw it.

In five seconds, he was out like a light.

---

“YOO YOUNGJAE! GET OFF MY LITTLE SISTER!” Daehyun-oppa’s shrill voice screamed.

Wakened by the scream, my eyes opened immediately. Youngjae-oppa had fallen asleep at the chair, and somehow, his arm had managed to drape over my abdomen. At the sound of Daehyun-oppa’s voice, he jumped up almost instantaneously, kicking the chair away.

“I swear I wasn’t doing anything!” he pleaded, but Hyunnie-oppa wasn’t listening.

“I trusted you!” Hyunnie-oppa yelled, before dragging Youngjae-oppa out of the room by the ear.

I stared after them, not quite comprehending what the hell was going on. Getting out of the bed, I ran out of the room after them.

---

“HOW DARE YOU MOLEST MY DARLING BABY SISTER?!” Daehyun-oppa screamed again from downstairs.

I ran to the first floor with trepidation.

Hyunnie-oppa was chucking Father’s precious literary classics at poor Meatbun-oppa who was cowering behind the sofa in a bid to protect himself. Popo was jumping about excitedly, woofing and joining in the “game”.

“I was wondering why you didn’t turn up for afternoon lessons! Too busy feeling up my sweet little dongsaeng weren’t you?!” he cried as Hwang Suwon’s Descendants of Cain (yes it’s a real book, author-nim did her research) went flying over Youngjae-oppa's head and into a glass vase, which shattered upon impact. Unfazed, he reached behind him to grab more ammunition.

Youngjae-oppa was too busy dodging the thick leather-bound volumes of Toji (a famous series of Korean saga novels) to reply.

I was about to stop them when a thunderous voice shook the house.

“MR. JUNG DAEHYUN! WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?!” Sunhwa-unnie, one of our personal maids, came out of the kitchen, spatula in hand. Suffice to say, she was very, very angry.

Daehyun-oppa dropped Father's copy of The Hobbit (I don't need to explain this one right) and suddenly looked very, very scared for his life.

“Blame it on Jaejae! He’s the one who assaulted poor Riri when I trusted him to bring her home and do nothing else!” He whined.

“Ms. Jung is sick, isn’t she?” she asked quietly, looking at me for confirmation. I nodded my head once, not quite sure where this was going.

“AND YOU STILL MADE SO MUCH RACKET?!” Sunhwa-unnie threw the spatula at Hyunnie-oppa, hitting him square on the forehead. “The whole living room is in such a mess too! Back to your room! Now!”

“I’m already 18, you can’t order me-” a stern look from Sunhwa-unnie sent him packing.

She looked to Youngjae-oppa, who immediately stood at attention.

“Bring Ms. Jung back to her room,” she ordered, before winking at him and disappearing back to the kitchen.

He started sputtering and turned tomato-red. I rolled my eyes and slouched up the staircase, dragging him along with me.

---

How was it? Let me know in the comments! :D Anyway, thank you for all the positive feedback so far. I have so many ideas for this fic. It could go anywhere really! :D This story will be a bit slow due to Youngjae's cowardice and lack of self-confidence as well as Dari's plain obtuseness, so please be patient! :D 

Thank you for reading!

-Peanut

PS: Siscon Daehyun is so cute. :>

PPS: Dayum, researching for this chapter was hard. :( 

PPPS: It's pretty obvious, but the lines in bold and dark green are author's notes, so please don't get confused! ;)