Chapter 2

My Brother's Best Friend

Hey guys, Peanut here again! :D Since I was sick today (the usual indigestion and nausea combination ugh), I decided to post up the second chapter of MBBF! Have fun reading! :D

---

As you already know, TS Academy isn’t really for the normal kids from normal neighbourhoods (no offence). Basically, it’s an institution of education for students from elementary school all the way to high school. The entire school building is divided into three sections: elementary, middle and high school. Right next to it was TS University, which was affiliated to TS Academy. TSU and TSA were connected together by the basement floor cafeteria, which could accomodate more than 5000 students at one go. Only really smart kids or really rich and elite kids could go to school here, either in TSA or TSU.

I, Jung Dari, was part of the latter, along with Lee Eunhye, daughter of the founder of a large entertainment company and Choi Junhong, son of the chairman of a renowned pharmaceutical company, as well as 99.9% of the student population. These two were my closest (and perhaps only) friends.

 Youngjae-oppa and Yongguk-oppa were part of the former, making up the remaining 0.1% of the cohort. As of now, they were the only 2 students who managed to come into the school through grades. However, Yongguk-oppa had already graduated TSA, leaving Youngjae-oppa as the only student in TSA who was really, really smart.

So how does B.A.P. come into the picture?

B.A.P was a group of 6 friends who were very popular with the female student population. It consisted of Bang Yongguk, Kim Himchan, Jung Daehyun, Yoo Youngjae, Moon Jongup and Choi Junhong. They were so popular, their name wasn’t even thought of by themselves. It was made up by their fanclub, composed entirely of fangirls and one lone fanboy, who was also the chairman. I have yet to find out who he is though.

Now, back to my life.

---

 “Hey, are you okay yet? It’s already Saturday and you haven’t come back to school. You’ve missed like three days’ worth of homework,” Eunhye’s voice came from the other end of the phone.

“Yeah, I’m better now. Stupid fever didn’t go down until last night. Father was worried that I’d caught something serious,” I replied, pulling on my jacket. "He almost called an emergency helicopter."

“Wow, your dad freaks out really easily. Your brother passed you yesterday’s homework right?” she asked, bemused.

“Yeah, I’ve finished everything already,” I answered again, stuffing all the homework into the backpack. “How has school been without me?”

“It’s been horrible. Thank heavens you’re coming to school today. Talking to Zelo about his skateboards gets boring after like, 5 minutes. Oh crap, maid’s calling me down for breakfast. See you in school!” With that, she put down the phone.

I squeezed my phone into the pocket of my bag before checking my reflection.

I looked normal, deciding to do my hair in a high ponytail today. Our uniform was fairly standard- dark green school jacket emblazoned with the school logo over a white collared shirt and a dark grey checkered bow tie, along with a grey checkered skirt. Unlike normal schools though, we wore long black stockings instead of white socks, which were hell in summer. 

“Ms. Jung, breakfast is ready,” Hyosung-unnie called from behind the door.

“I’m coming down now,” I replied.

I straightened my skirt before picking up my panda backpack and walking downstairs.

“Good morning Dari,” Father greeted from the dining table, newspaper in hand. Mother was sitting at the table next to him as Sunhwa-unnie poured warm chamomile tea into her cup.

“Good morning Father, good morning, Mother,” I greeted back, hugging each of them tightly and seating myself at the other end of the table.

Sunhwa-unnie placed a warm plate of eggs and toast before me and poured me a cup of orange juice.

“Where is that brother of yours?” Father asked irritably. “He never comes out for breakfast on time.”

I shrugged noncommittally and focused on eating my breakfast.

---

Just as we were about to leave the house, Hyunnie-oppa darted out of the house frantically, toast in mouth and struggling to put on his dress shoes.

“Your brother needs to work on his timing,” Mr. Park, Hyunnie-oppa’s and my personal chauffer remarked.

I agreed silently as he opened the door of the limousine and slid himself in, still halfway pulling on his blazer.

“Oppa, your uniform is all messed up,” I frowned and adjusted it for him as he munched greedily on his toast.

“Ahhh~ Riri, I’m still hungry!” He moaned, holding his tummy dramatically.

“There is cheesecake in the fridge,” Mr. Park answered for me as he drove quietly.

Hyunnie-oppa grabbed a big slice and gobbled it down in two minutes.

I still can’t get over how fast he eats.

I leaned against the tinted window as Hyunnie-oppa cuddled against me, smiling contentedly and savoring his next piece of cheesecake.

---

“Ms. Jung, shall I stop here?”

We were just 5 minutes away from the school. 

Mr. Park knew I was uncomfortable with driving into the school in the giant flashy Rolls Royce limousine, so he usually dropped us off at the park owned by the school (yes, it can spend that much money). Even then, people still stared, but no matter what I tried, Father would never let us walk.

I thanked Mr. Park and got out of the limo, Hyunnie-oppa following closely behind.

“Daehyun, over here!” His group of friends was already waiting for him, along with Youngjae-oppa.

He waved to me, but I pretended not to see it. Hyunnie-oppa gave me a giant bear hug before running off with the rest of his pals. I sat down at the park bench and waited for Eunhye to arrive.

“Hey Dari!” Sure enough, Eunhye was running up to me, blazer still on her arm.

“You just missed them again,” I pointed in the direction of the school.

“WHAT? NO, THIS IS NOT HAPPENING AGAIN!” she wailed, dropping to the ground in defeat. “HIMCHAN-OPPA, COME BACK! I NEED TO SEE YOU!”

I laughed at her antics before offering her a hand.

“Come on, we’re gonna be late!” I pulled her up and we walked to school together.

---

 “Ms. Jung, I understand you have not been well for the past week, but this is the first time you’ve gotten such a low score on a Math quiz. Is everything alright?” Mr. Cho asked quietly as he handed me my test paper.

I stared at the big red D- in horror. It had been a sudden pop quiz, and for some reason, I messed up.

“I checked through it thoroughly and you made many careless mistakes, especially in the differentiation section. If you require any help for differentiation or integration, feel free to ask for tuition from me,” Mr. Cho continued before walking down the aisle.

Zelo leaned over and peeked at my results.

“Holy- Are you sure he marked correctly? Maybe he forgot to add another ten or something,” he whispered frantically.

I snatched his paper from him. He got a C+. Even Zelo got a higher score and he was always at the bottom of the class! I threw the paper back at him in frustration. I always got A+ for Math quizzes. How on earth did I get a D-?!

“You know, Youngjae-hyung is good at Math. He got perfect marks for advanced differentiation last year,” Zelo contemplated, not the least bit affected by my rudeness. “You could get help from him.”

“Ugh, no thanks,” I mumbled disappointedly, my head finding its way onto the table.

“Aww, don’t be like that. It’s only one quiz. I’m sure you’ll do better next time!” Zelo grinned and ruffled my hair.

“Give me some time to mope first,” I sulked. Zelo patted my head again.

I buried my head in my arms as he fiddled with his cellphone throughout the entire lesson.

---

“Are you serious? You got a D-?” Eunhye gaped, nail file in hand.

I nodded my head tiredly. It was break time, but so far, I hadn’t been able to focus on the lessons.

“Oh dear… You could always get help from Mr. Cho! Plus, you get to spend quality time with your crush,” She nudged me in the rib with her elbow, trying to lighten my mood.

I opened my mouth to reply when my phone buzzed, interrupting me.

I unlocked my Android. There were two messages in my inbox, both from the same but unfamiliar number. Curiously, I opened them.

“Hey, Meatbun here. I heard from Zelo that you needed help for Math,” the message read.

I sat up rigidly. My heart started going crazy again and heat rushed to my face. Eunhye edged closer and closer until she leaned over my shoulder and read the message. I glared at her and flipped to the next one.

“I have some time after school today so I could come over and help you,” the second one read.

The thought of spending a day together alone with him made me feel jittery and strangely excited.

I sighed. What was wrong with me? Just a week ago, I would have accepted him easily. But now, I was having trouble just looking at him. I shook my head sternly. You’re making a big deal out of nothing. Meatbun-oppa is a nice person and he cares about you like a brother. He’s worried about your results, so you should get all the help you can get.

“Sure! (>v<)” I replied as Eunhye chuckled quietly.

“Alright, so I’ll meet you at the park straight after school. :>” The reply came back almost immediately.

I locked my phone and shoved it into my bag, cheeks still heated through. Eunhye coughed loudly, gaining my attention.

“So, who is this Meatbun? What’s going on between the two of you?” she asked slyly, blowing her nails. “Is it who I think it is?”

Thankfully, the bell sounded.

“Oh look, it’s English now. I better go back to my seat!” I chuckled nervously before dashing off to the other end of the classroom.

---

I have no idea how I survived school, but I got out of there alive. I made my way out of the building and strolled to the park to wait for Meatbun-oppa. The day had gotten much hotter now that it was one in the afternoon.

I had long gotten over the test score. After all, it was just a pop quiz. It wasn’t even graded! I smiled brightly, regaining my spirit as I breathed in the scent of the grass from the park.

All of a sudden, a large hand grabbed my elbow.

Screaming in terror, I smashed my backpack against the person’s crotch, making him double over in pain.

“F***, Riri, whatchu do that for?!” Hyunnie-oppa cried, holding his precious jewels. I breathed in relief.

“Sorry oppa, I thought you were a burglar,” I laughed awkwardly.

He glared at me again before grinning widely.

“Mr. Lau called in sick today, so I don’t have English tuition! We can walk home together!” He danced a little jig on the pavement.

I stared at him guiltily.

“What’s with that look Riri? You can’t walk home with me?” He asked innocently, before his face took on a horrified expression. “Y-you aren’t waiting for your B-B-B-B-BOYFRIEND, are you?!”

And then Youngjae-oppa with his perfect timing came running up, preventing me from having to answer.

“Hey, sorry I’m late. Mr. Shim kept me in,” he bent over his knees, panting heavily. My eyes immediately flashed to Daehyun-oppa again.

Daehyun-oppa looked confused, understanding and then murderous all in one second.

“This isn’t what it looks like…” I tried to explain, but Daehyun-oppa’s face was as black as thunder.

 “You’re walking home… with HIM?!” He let out a cry of rage, claws raised. "Of all people, HIM?!"

Youngjae-oppa took one look at him and scampered off in the direction of our house, Hyunnie-oppa following closely behind.

Boys… I sighed before walking, at a slower pace, behind them.

---

Daehyun-oppa answered the door, a hand mark visible on his face and holding an ice pack.

“Sunhwa-unnie got to me,” he explained sullenly.

I laughed and hugged him before removing my shoes and placing them at the shoe rack.

“You don’t have to worry so much about me, you know?” I told him, gently patting the bruise with the ice pack.

“I can’t help my brotherly instincts,” he muttered. “He’s waiting in the kitchen.”

I hugged him once again and walked to the kitchen.

He was sitting by the counter, where Sunhwa-unnie was setting out a plate of cookies. They were looking pretty friendly over there. She was laughing at something he said, and he was laughing along too for whatever stupid reason. I felt a bit queer looking at them, like my heart was squeezing tightly.

“You can bring my lunch to my room,” I said coldly to Sunhwa-unnie. I was quite surprised at how cold my tone was, but Sunhwa-unnie’s eyes were challenging.

“Understood, ma’am,” she replied and giggled again, looking at Youngjae-oppa, who laughed too.

Angrily, I stormed off to my room.

---

I pulled a white cotton T-shirt over my most comfortable pair of shorts. Since it was summer, my casual wardrobe was filled with shorts and tank tops and tees. A knock sounded as I piled my laundry into the laundry basket.

I opened the door. He was standing just outside, backpack in one hand and jacket in the other. I let him in silently. I didn’t even know why, but I felt kinda angry with him. He set his stuff down in a corner of the room as I placed all of my study materials at the table.

I sat at the table and he started to teach. He was admittedly a pretty good teacher, and I could finally understand what was going on in the world of differentiation. I forgot all about Sunhwa-unnie and instead concentrated on the lesson. For some strange reason though, he kept drinking water. Thank goodness I had a water dispenser in the room, if not he would have to go up and down three flights of stairs every time he wanted a refill. 

“Okay, we’ll try some practice questions now, since you seem to understand what’s happening,” he flipped to the practice questions in the textbook.

“Hyunnie-oppa borrowed my notepad. May I go get it?” I asked politely. He nodded and I left the room.

---

Youngjae leaned back on his chair, sweat coming off his brow even though the air conditioner was at full blast.

I have to be careful, he reminded himself, mopping the perspiration off with a piece of tissue.

But still, why the heck did she have to look so good in something so simple? Just a loose cotton tee and shorts could make her look so beautiful. Just thinking about her made the back of his throat dry and his heart plummet to the bottom of his stomach.

He smiled as he recalled the way her face would light up when she understood the topic and how her tongue would naturally slip out of when she was concentrating too hard.

It didn’t help much that her study table was solid glass, letting him see her long legs clearly. He gulped again, recalling the smell of oranges whenever she leaned a bit too close to him. 

Water will calm me down. He took another large sip.

Why was she so angry anyway? Her whole demeanour had changed when she went to the kitchen. Sunhwa-unnie was a nice person who was fun to talk to about Dari. She'd even given him tips on what she liked and what she didn't. Of course, he didn't need them because he already knew all those things, but it was nice to finally talk to someone about his feelings for her. Plus, she knew all about Dari when she was a little kid and told him some quirky and adorable stories of Dari in her younger days. He didn’t see the problem at all.

Maybe she’s on her time of the month, he shrugged, shivering as he thought of those damn- he took another gulp of water.

---

I walked in to find Youngjae-oppa almost drowning in his bottle. He saw me come in and motioned for me to sit down, constantly chugging his water down.

Oh. My. God. He still hadn’t noticed. He was just drinking his water. I tightened my grasp on the notepad.

“Sunhwa-unnie is very pretty, isn’t she?” I remarked nonchalantly, eyeing his reaction.

“Hmm?” He looked up at me. “Yeah, she looks okay. Her skin is very nice.”

Well that just backfired. This dense boy needed a bigger hint (No Dari, you are the one who needs the bigger hint OTL).

She’s also quite young,” I seethed. “Anyone who dates her would be a lucky man.”

 “Well, 22 years old is quite a young age. You forgot that she’s funny,” he replied. “But yeah, anyone who dates her would be really lucky.”

I stared at him, feeling my heart slowly tear itself into pieces.

Okay, do questions 1a to 2f,” he passed the textbook to me.

I did them quickly, having already memorized the formulae from his lesson. Tears blurred my vision as I passed the notepad to him. I slouched in my seat, feeling sad and lonely. Did it really matter to me if Youngjae-oppa liked Sunhwa-unnie? The answer was a resounding yes, but why? I couldn't figure it out.

He marked them and smiled.

“Wow, that’s really good. You got all of them correct! I think you’ve already got the hang of this.”

He got up and started to pack his bag. I stood up too, getting ready to see him out.

I stared at the ground, eyes downcast. Gah, my feelings were so confusing! I was so distracted I didn’t notice him staring at me expectantly.

“Are you still mad at me?” his eyes searched mine.

“Y-you noticed?” I was flabbergasted.

“Please Dari, we’ve known each other for six years,” he cocked an eyebrow at me. “I think I can tell when you’re mad at me. Can you tell me why?”

Well, might as well tell him the truth.

“You think Sunhwa-unnie is pretty,” I pointed out, trying to make it very obvious. “And you said that she was young and funny and the two of you were r-really close together just now.”

“She is pretty,” he remarked, his chin."And she is funny."

I inwardly facepalmed. You don’t seem to be getting the point! (No Dari, you're the one who's not getting the point OTL)

Then he straightened his back, a smirk forming on his lips.

“Wait a minute, are you jealous?” his smirk widened and he stepped closer to me, leaning me back onto the table.

Both his hands were on either side of me, resting on the table and preventing me from escaping. His nose was a hair’s length away from mine and I could feel his hot breath puffing on my lips. His eyes twinkled just a little and that sly smirk was making me feel very, very hot.

I blushed furiously. “What? No, of course not! I’m just… I just thought that if you were gonna make a move on my maid you could have asked first.”

I slapped my hands to my mouth. That clearly wasn’t the best thing to say in this situation.

His smirk disappeared and his eyes lost that little twinkle. In fact, they looked a little disappointed. He straightened up and coughed softly.

“Oh. I see. Okay. Umm, I have to leave now. See you whenever,” Youngjae-oppa grabbed his stuff and walked to the door. I couldn’t stop him even if I wanted to. My body refused to listen to me, instead choosing to stay immobile when I wanted to run after him.

“And for the record, I think you’re- I think Sunhwa-noona- I think- ARGH! Never mind!” he groaned, pushed open the door and walked out, leaving me frozen in the middle of the room, confused as hell.

And that's the 2nd chapter! How did you guys find it? Is it the potential appearance of a love rival? Ohhhhh suspense... :P Ahhh I did so much research for this chapter... I checked Korean school timetables and lessons and all! :O Author-nim shall celebrate by eating cheesecake. :D Cookies for those who can guess who the cameos are! XD  

Thank you for reading this chapter and I hope you liked it! If you have any criticism, tips, love or just general hate for this story, please comment below! >~< I'll try not to curl up and cry hahaha... *cries anyway*

-Peanut

PS: I'm starting to like this Daehyun kekekekeke.

PPS: Can't wait to post the next chappie! :D