Chapter 11

My Brother's Best Friend

“I knew this was a problem from the moment I saw the both of you that night, but I thought maybe it was just a phase!” Mummy screamed.

I winced at Mummy’s volume. I could hear it all the way from the third level! What was she screaming about this time?

Usually it’s me and my homework, I joked to myself, but something didn’t seem quite right.

I crept down the stairs as Dari’s forlorn figure kneeling on the floor as Mummy paced in front of her came into view.

I felt my eyes widen in surprise. Mummy never yelled at Dari. Between her and me, I was obviously the naughty kid of the family!

What were they talking about…?

“Dari, I’m so disappointed in you. I thought we raised you with higher standards.” Mother’s voice was hushed but still furious.

A lightbulb flashed in my head. So it was about Youngjae…

To be honest, I’d known about Youngjae’s crush on Dari for a while.

People don’t often pin me as the smart one, and I’m not, but I’m nothing if not observant.

The way he’d acted around her, that panda he gave her back when we were 15, the looks he shot her when he thought no one was noticing… You’d be a fool not to notice that he liked her.

And I’d noticed Dari’s changing feelings towards him as well, since the start of the year. Something between them had changed, and I picked up on it almost immediately.

That was the reason why I’d tried to separate them so often all the time.

My heart burned as I put two and two together. I’d suspected it for a while, and had even confronted her about it a while ago but it was only now that it was confirmed.

A bubble of intense fury rose from the pit of my stomach. How dare he? He was hardly worth even an ounce of her skin flakes!

And why didn’t they tell me about it?

I was so angry and hurt I hardly noticed as Mummy swept past me.

Having half a mind to confront Dari myself, I took the steps two at a time, pounding downstairs to demand that she break up with him immediately.

My steps slowed as I neared Dari’s body. She was shaking, her palms covering her face.

Instinctively, I knew she was crying. I felt a twinge of guilt as I heard her broken sobs. Was it really alright for me to break them up?

But I was her oppa, I knew what was best for her!

I tapped her on the shoulder, intending to berate her.

She turned to face me. Her face was red and puffy, streaked with tears. Her hair was a mess, sticking to her skin everywhere. But her expression… Her eyes were watery and looked almost broken.

My heart shattered. Why did my baby sister look so pained… over Youngjae, of all people?

I held my arms out and she leaped into them, letting out noisy sobs. I encircled them around her tiny frame, reminded physically of how young and small and innocent she was.

She was my baby sister and nothing would change that.

We sat there for a long time, until her sobs faded into quiet whimpers.

“Are you feeling better?” I murmured into her hair and rubbed circles on her back.

“It ,” her voice was choked up. “Why can’t…”

“Why can’t you date Youngjae?” I finished her sentence for her.

Immediately she looked up, eyes wide with surprise.

“I’ve suspected it for a while,” I smiled ruefully at her. “He’s been smiling a lot more than he used to, for the past two months, and so have you. He kept avoiding me, and you never hang out with me anymore. I put two and two together, and Mummy just confirmed it. Why didn’t you tell me about it?”

“We… We thought you wouldn’t approve,” her face was downcast.

Had I really been so interfering that my sister would think to hide her relationship with my best friend from me for fear that I would try to break them apart?

I must have looked grief stricken, as she hurriedly pacified me with a “we didn’t tell Mother and Father either!”

I took a breath.

“Pabo,” I ruffled her hair lightly. “Why would I… Why would I reject something that made you so happy?”

I had to accept the fact that one day, my baby sister would no longer be mine. And if Youngjae made her happy… why the hell not?

Her face broke into a small smile.

“Somehow, it seems like only you are on my side,” she mused. “Youngjae’s mother was against it too. He told me she thought it would risk her job.”

I nodded my head gravely. It was only due to her constant efforts that Youngjae was able to focus on his studies and not worry about part time jobs and the like.

“What should I do?” her voice was choked up again. “Why does everyone dislike me being with him? Is it just about the money?”

“Adults… are weird,” I said. “Look, go rest, I’ll talk to Mummy about it.”

She nodded her head and headed up to her bedroom slowly.

I ruffled my hair in frustration as I watched her slowly ascend the stairs. How was big brother Daehyun going to solve this one?

---

“So I heard you’re dating my sister.”

Daehyun’s voice was crisp and clear through the phone, but Youngjae almost dropped it in surprise. When had he found out?

“Mummy was scolding her a lot,” he explained. “I heard it all. And I’m okay with it… as long as you make her happy.”

Youngjae heaved a sigh of relief. At least someone was on their side.

“But now we’ve got to settle what to do about this mess. Mummy won’t come around, but I’m not sure about Daddy’s reaction.”

“I’m aiming for top 50 in the country,” Youngjae’s voice was low and unconfident. “If I can get that, will your parents accept me?”

“Top 50?! Are you insane?” Daehyun’s voice was gobsmacked. “That’s literally impossible!”

“Literally: in a literal manner; exactly. Not the right way to use it,” Youngjae joked, but he could tell Daehyun wasn’t in the mood for it.

“Dude, you’ve really gone nuts. Top 50 is way too up there!”

“What else can I do?” he felt the bitterness seep into his voice. “My mum doesn’t want her, her mum doesn’t want me, maybe I should just give up.”

“… What is my name?”

“Daehyun…?”

“What do I like the most?”

“… Dari and cheesecake?”

“I meant Dari only but that’s beside the point. Who’s supporting you two now?”

“… You?”

“That’s right! Dari’s one and only knight in shining armour and her one true love, which is me, is fighting for the chance for you two to be together! So don’t beat yourself up about the adults. Let Daehyun handle it! Youngjae, you have grown by leaps and bounds ever since you met Dari. I know, because I've been with you for so long. You deserve happiness. And Dari does too!"

Youngjae couldn’t help the smile that blossomed on his face. Sometimes, he really did love his best friend.

“Thanks. I needed that.”

“We’ll devise a plan later on. For now, try to avoid Dari so you don’t incur any more wrath from the parents.”

“Okay.”

Youngjae replaced the handle with a sigh, ruffling his hair in frustration.

Now not only was his mum against it, but Dari’s mum too. How on earth could he bring them around? How could he convince both his and Dari’s mothers that he was meant to be with her?

Sure he hadn’t been with her for long, but he’d known her since he was 11. He knew her inside out, just as she knew him, and somehow, he knew they were meant to be together. Relationships weren’t simple, but he found it so easy to be with her; to drink in her scent and her appearance, to love every single quirk about her, to just love her…

He had to show them that he was the right guy for her.

He had to.

---

“I’m home!” Father announced tiredly.

Mr. Lee, his chauffeur, pulled his luggage in behind him as Father strode in.

I tiptoed down to my room as Hyunnie-oppa sprang forth from his, arms wide.

“I MISSED YOU DADDY!” he yelled and launched his arms around Father, who smiled weakly and hugged him back.

I followed behind more reservedly as Mother swept past me, her lips pursed angrily.

“Ganghan, we need to talk,” she said, eyes directed at me.

Immediately I knew what she wanted to talk about. It was definitely about Youngjae.

My heart dropped. What would Father say about him? That he was too poor to be with me? That he’d never amount to anything because he was poor? That he would never be able to provide for me or care for me or love me, because of his status and his family?

“Sure thing Chinjeol,” Father said before disentangling Hyunnie-oppa’s arms around him and following her back to the room.

I left for my room, sick and tired of all the opposition. 

Even Hyunnie-oppa couldn't fix this.

Okay yeah, I know I haven't been updating and a lot of people have stopped reading ;-; But I promise you, I am nearing the end of the story! I've actually finished writing like everything I zoomed the last two chapters last night and today so look forward to more updates coming your way this week! :-)

Sorry guys, I've just been super caught up with work and stuff sigh my exams were terrible and I kind of died and 

INDONESIA JUST KEEPS BURNING LIKE PLEASE STOP 

I AM DYING

Okay, I'll see you all tomorrow! Love you as always!

-Peanut