Peck on the Cheek

Finding Everest

Baekhyun didn't know what to do. What should he say? Was he supposed to admit that Eunji was actually Jieun? He took a deep breath, and tried to calm down. He stared at Myungsoo, who gave him a light smirk.

This is Myungsoo we're talking about, he reminded himself. Myungsoo isn't the brightest guy, but he's pretty clever in his own ways. If I can somehow outwit him...

Baekhyun's eyes sparkled as he realized the best excuse he could come up with. "Myungsoo, I might be the smartest person in class, but I hardly have any interests in any other girl. Plus, I don't attend our classes that often. How do you expect me to talk about a different Jieun other than our Jieun?"

He crossed his fingers, hoping that he would be able to fool Myungsoo. Myungsoo stared at him with skeptical eyes, unsure of how he should react to what Baekhyun said. After a few moments, Myungsoo sighed in defeat.

"Okay, fine. I understand. So I still don't know who Eunji really is. But I swear, Baekhyun, that I'll find out who she is!" Myungsoo declared. He his lips with a sly look. "After all, I do want to know what kind of girl you like."

Baekhyun faked a laugh and stepped pass through him. "Sure, sure. Meanwhile, I'll be climbing these stairs, hoping that I'll find the seventh floor's exit."

 

"You know, Baekhyun is usually good at these kinds of stuff," Jieun said, raising two microphone boxes. "I mean, he knows which one was the best quality and which one lasts the longest. What do you think, Daehyun? Which one do you think is better? Microphone box A or microphone box B?"

"U-Um... Microphone b-box B seems good," Daehyun said, rubbing his chest.

"You didn't even read the labels." She giggled quietly and put the microphones back to the shelf. Then, she looked over at Daehyun with worried eyes. "Are you okay, Daehyun? Does your chest hurt or something?"

"A-A little bit," he stuttered, turning red. The thought of him being alone with Jieun made his head fuzzy. His heart had kept racing every time she had spoken up about important matters (such as which microphones to buy) and unimportant ones (like when she was complaining about Myungsoo and Baekhyun taking too long.)

"Do you want to sit down? I can still look around. Why don't you take a break at that bench over there, hm?" Jieun suggested, pointing over to the wooden bench. Daehyun's shoulders sunk when he realized that he would have to share the bench with another girl. He looked over at Jieun, wondering if she was feeling insecure over being alone. However, her eyes went straight back to the microphone shelf and her thoughts were clouded with which microphone she should get. Knowing that she wouldn't care if he was gone or not, he sighed in defeat and walked over to the bench. He took a seat at the far left, leaving a gap between the stranger and him.

"Hello," the girl greeted Daehyun, startling him. "My name is Suzy."

Daehyun nodded his head. "Oh, um, hello. The name is Daehyun."

She pressed her lips, then nodded. "Ah, I see. Cute name! Is that your girlfriend over there?"

His eyes followed to where her finger was pointing. Once he realized that she was pointing at Jieun, he began to blush.

"O-Oh, her? N-No, she's not," he stammered, looking away. His eyes slowly rolled back to Jieun, and when he saw her wave at him with a smile, he looked away and shyly waved back. The girl next to him stared at him with pity.

"You like her, don't you?" she asked.

"W-What?" Daehyun exclaimed, surprised. "H-How did you know--"

"You're really easy to read," Suzy explained. "Sorry. Tsk, and I thought you were pretty cute. Ah, I wasted my voice for nothing."

Daehyun frowned. "What? What do you mean by that--"

"I see you're looking around for some microphones. Are you planning to enter the 'Hot Summer Festival Music Band Contest'?" she asked him. When she saw Daehyun's frown, she smiled and reached for her bag. Pulling out a flyer, she handed it to him and began to explain about what she was previously talking about.

"My school is holding up a summer festival contest. Have you ever heard of JYP Arts Academy? We're holding a special contest for people with singing and dance talent. You should try out for it. You can audition by sending in a demo of the song you're going to play or dance. You better do things fast, though. Auditions end next week, and we're holding the actual contest after that week. The winner will be judged by the audience, so it's best if you make a song that will appeal to them."

Daehyun stared at the flyer with awe. His fingers ran across the printed words on the pink paper. He looked up at Suzy, who gave him a smile and waited for any more questions. Daehyun his lips nervously, then looked up at her.

"Are you joining?" he asked.

Suzy laughed and waved her hand. "Of course I am, silly! In JYP Arts Academy, I am one of the best there. You should tell your friends, too. Anyone is allowed to join as long as they are a student and they have an I.D card with them. I'd love to see you sing a duet for your little friend over there. It would be cute."

Daehyun flushed his cheeks. "U-Um... Are you in a band or something?"

She stared at him with a snobby look. "What? Me? In a band? That's ridiculous! I go solo."

"Amazing. I can never go solo. I'd get so scared, and I wouldn't feel comfortable with strangers playing my music," he mumbled. Suzy blinked her eyes, then grinned.

"Tell you what? Let's both enter the contest, band or not. If I win the contest, then you have to go on a date with me. If you win, then I'll help you go on a date with that girl you're crushing on," Suzy suggested. Daehyun widened his eyes.

"Wait, what? I can't go on a date with you! I--" But before he had the chance to protest and explain himself, Suzy crossed her pinky with his and smirked. She got up from her seat, and pecked her lips against his cheek. Daehyun turned pale in horror as she gave him a wink and walked away.

"Jung Daehyun! How could you?" Daehyun whirled around and was shocked to see Myungsoo and Baekhyun glaring at him with a disapproved expression. Daehyun stood up from the bench and stumbled over his words.

"I-It wasn't my fault! You all saw it, right? That girl just kissed my cheeks!" Daehyun defended himself.

Myungsoo, wanting to play around, smirked. "You know, your first kiss on the cheek from any other girl got stolen by a random stranger. Poor Jieun!"

Daehyun stood still like stone. Jieun skipped towards them with a plastic bag in her hand, informing everyone that she had bought the microphone. She smiled at the three, then stared at Daehyun with surprise.

"Um, what's wrong with Daehyun?" she asked. Suddenly, he put two hands on her shoulders.

"I'm sorry, Jieun," he muttered apologetically. He dragged his feet away from his friends, leaving Jieun confused.

 

"WHAT? A contest with a bet? Daehyun, what were you thinking?" Baekhyun exclaimed. They had arrived at the club room a few minutes ago, and Baekhyun was already frustrated over how Yoseob left the studio without setting anything up. Daehyun groaned and messed up his hair with his own hands.

"I didn't make the bet! That girl did! This is just... ugh!" Daehyun threw his head back and put his arm over his eyes. Jieun and Myungsoo carefully looked at the flyer, reading the rules and the certain events that would be held at the festival.

"Well, the prizes are pretty good," Jieun said. "We win a trophy and some cash. We can use the cash to repair the guitar and maybe cover up the piano or something."

"And look! There's going to be a Miss Beauty contest, too. Imagine all the pretty girls who are going to attend that contest--Oof!" Jieun elbowed Myungsoo's stomach, interrupting his comment. She shot him a glare, as he chuckled playfully and rubbed his stomach. 

"Anyways, this is a pretty good contest. Plus, going on a date with her doesn't hurt. I think we should try it just for fun," she said, smiling warmly at Daehyun. Daehyun felt his heart thump, and his ears turned red when he saw Myungsoo grin at him. Suddenly, the door opened at Yoseob appeared with a plastic bag with more drinks and snacks. He heaved a sigh and stepped into the room. Once he did, he walked over to the table and dropped the same flyer Daehyun had brought with him.

"Ugh, this is so annoying," Yoseob muttered, grabbing a chair to sit on.

"No kidding. If just someone finished setting the equipment and closed the door, maybe things would be a lot more easier for me," Baekhyun emphasized, slamming the door closed. Yoseob waved his hand.

"Sorry, sorry. I was supposed to come early, but I was stopped by a girl I knew from a long time ago," Yoseob said. He stared at the flyer, completely unaware of the same poster Jieun was holding. "She asked me to come here and participate. Then she kissed my cheeks and left."

Daehyun widened his eyes. "T-That girl! I know that girl! She kissed my cheek, too!"

"Wait, what? Daehyun, you let a random girl kiss your cheek?" Jieun asked in disbelief.

"That doesn't matter," Yoseob argued. "What matters is that she kept me back at the market for over half an hour! Plus, this contest is such a cheap event. The audience only votes on the most popular people, leaving out the talented people from other schools. I won't be surprised if she won. She always had that youthful shine--"

"Hold up," Myungsoo interrupted. "Say that again? What kind of contest is this? A what event?"

"A cheap event," Yoseob repeated. "Trust me, I've been here twice. It was so overrated. The only good part about this festival is that they have good food."

"Ha! Hey, Yoseob, want to hear some news?" Baekhyun asked, smirking at Daehyun. "Guess what? Daehyun got himself stuck into that contest! He has to join or else he's going on a date with the girl you met."

"Oh, gosh. Daehyun, have fun with her. She's really nice, but you're going to go through a lot of stores with her--Wait, what? Come again? Daehyun got himself stuck into what contest?"

"The JYP Arts Academy's 'Hot Summer Festival Contest.' If he loses, then he has to go on a date with her. If she loses, then he gets whatever he wants from her," Baekhyun explained. 

Yoseob stared at Daehyun. "Daehyun, do you know what you've done?"

Jieun stood up and defended the poor boy. "Look, it wasn't like Daehyun got a choice! Why don't we send the contest a demo of our song and participate on it? I think it would be great to get our hands into that contest!"

"You don't understand, Jieun. I told you, that contest isn't based on talent. It's based on popularity--"

"I'm with Jieun," Myungsoo said, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. "I think we should try it out. After all, we were aiming for that big contest."

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "You two, you can't be serious--"

"I... I'll try, too!" Daehyun stammered, raising his hand. "It's my fault that I got into this mess. I should at least take responsibility."

"Baekhyun? Yoseob? Are you two going to join?" Jieun asked. "I mean, we got the demo set up, and we're nearly good to go. We've practiced making music for moments like these!"

Myungsoo grinned at Baekhyun. "Baekhyun, if you don't join, I'll send a message to the whole school about your laptop and--"

"I'm joining!" Baekhyun blurted, running up to their side. I hate you, Kim Myungsoo.

Yoseob stared at the four, who gave him a pleading look. After knowing that he had no way to escape, he admitted defeat and scratched the back of his head.

"Fine, fine. I'll join, too. But if Daehyun ends up going on a date, it's not my fault!" he declared. Everyone laughed freely, and began to help setting up the studio, their hearts racing for their first performance.


Author's Note: I just wanted to let everyone know that there will be a lot of cameos, meaning that there will be a lot of characters who might appear once or twice, but never frequently. This also doesn't mean that certain main characters will end up with the supporting(?) characters they interact with. I just wanted to let everyone know this before they freak out or something. :)