Starting Point

Finding Everest

"... Kim Myungsoo"

"... Here."

"No Minwoo."

"Here!"

"No Eul."

"Here."

"Byun Baekhyun." 

Silence.

"Byun Baekhyun?" The teacher looked up and frowned. "Where is Baekhyun--"

"He's skipping class, Mrs. Baek," a student said, raising his hand.

Mrs. Baek frowned. "What? Again?" She turned to the student hiding at the corner of the room. "You. What's your name?"

The boy kept quiet, then heaved a sigh. He leaned forward at his desk and gave the teacher a dull look. The way his dark eyes narrowed caused the teacher to feel uncomfortable.

"You just called my name," he pointed out to her. "I'm the third person before you called Baekhyun's name."

She looked down at her attendance sheet, then shaped into a small circle. "Oh, you're Kim Myungsoo? I know you're always with Baekhyun. Do you know where Baekhyun is?"

"Sure do," he responded shortly, taking out one of his earphones from his ear. There was an awkward pause in the room. The female teacher cleared , then tilted her head, tapping her fingers against the table.

"Would you mind, uh, telling me where he is?" she asked him politely.

"Why?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"So that he can participate in class with us and graduate," she explained, forcing a smile.

Seeing this smile, Myungsoo scowled. "So?"

"Well, don't you want him to graduate with you?"

"Ma'am, I can assure you that he'll find a way to graduate without the help of a teacher. He's a genius unlike..." A pause. "Well, unlike you."

"... You know what? Do you know where he is?" Mrs. Baek asked, losing her patience.

"Yes."

"Go get him." Her cold demand caused Myungsoo to roll his eyes and get up from his seat. He heaved a sigh loudly, making sure that the entire class heard him. Although he was annoyed at his teacher, he was even more annoyed over finding his buddy. It wasn't like he had to search the whole school, though. The hot summer already gave him a hint of where Baekhyun could be.

Myungsoo walked out of the classroom, down the hallway, and traveled up three flights of stairs. He found himself standing in front of a blue door, tempted to kick it open. He gritted his teeth, and twisted the golden doorknob. When he swung the door open, a gush of cool wind blew against his hair. The scorching weather seemed to have disappeared the moment he stepped inside the well air-conditioned room.

This particular room was different than the other classrooms. Not only did it have a door with an actual doorknob, but the room was painted in fresh color of snow. One corner of the room had an audio recording section with several instruments and papers scattered on the floor. At another corner was a small television with a soft, brown couch. However, his eyes were glued on the man sitting at the center of the room, who was gliding his fingers against the keyboard of the white laptop.

"Byun Baekhyun, you have five mintues to explain why you're up here instead of down there," Myungsoo said, stomping towards him.

The boy wearing glasses looked up, then grinned. "Hey, Myungsoo! Welcome back to the club! You're skipping, too?"

"That's not the point. The point is, the teacher made me come up here for you. Get up!" 

Baekhyun took off his glasses and smirked. "What? Why? Look, Jieun and the rest are here."

Myungsoo looked up, and found a girl stretching her legs next to an older boy. Once she lifted herself, she looked back and smiled at Myungsoo. The boy next to her looked up, and stared at Myungsoo in surprise.

"Hey Myungsoo! Want to join us? I'm about to learn how to do yoga," Jieun said. 

"No. Aren't you supposed to be in class? And Yoseob, you already had to repeat a year because you were in the hospital for a long time last year. Are you seriously skipping class now?" Myungsoo scolded them.

"I was," Yoseob said, "but then I managed to convince Jieun that yoga was educational."

"Educational? What part of yoga is educational? If anything is educational, singing is," another boy, who had blond hair, said. He appeared behind Myungsoo and gave him a bright smile. "Hey Myungsoo! Are you joining us, or here to pick up Baekhyun?"

"For Baekhyun," Myungsoo answered. "Come on, Baekhyun. We got to go."

"Yeah, I better go, too," Jieun agreed, getting up. "I'd hate to miss the lecture. Even if my teacher takes forever with taking attendance, she'll start her lessons in five or ten minutes."

Baekhyun groaned and pulled on his collar. "But that room is so hot. According to my calculations, I have the second hottest seat in the class!"

"What calculations? All I saw you was type stuff on the computer and click 'enter' or something," Daehyun said, cracking up. Baekhyun scowled and turned his laptop screen for it to face the blond boy.

"You see all this? All this data, numbers, and graphs? All these experiments and different trials listed in the charts? This is what I've been working on!" Baekhyun exclaimed. "Do you think finding out that I have the second hottest seat in the class was a beautiful discovery for me? No! I'm currently trying to figure out how to lower the temperature and get my seat to be, hopefully, the coolest."

"Then who sits in the hottest seat?" Yoseob asked, patting his chocolate brown hair. "Hey, should I dye my hair like how Daehyun did? Maybe I'll look more attractive."

"You're pefectly fine," Jieun assured him, swinging her bag around her shoulder. "Blond wouldn't fit your style."

"How about me?" Daehyun asked, his eyes sparkling with hope. "What do you think about my style?"

She paused, then shrugged her shoulders. "I guess it's pretty good. It fits you, I guess." She checked her watch. "I got to go. See ya."

Once she left, Yoseob, Baekhyun, and Myungsoo looked back at Daehyun. They all smirked when they saw his red cheeks. Loud "oohs" and "ahs" filled the room as Daehyun tried to cover up his blushing face.

"You still like her?" Yoseob asked. "How long has it been since the five us started being friends? Kindergarden?"

"I-It's not like that!" Daehyun denied, shaking his hand. "I-It's not that I l-like her l-like that! L-Look, it's all just a misunderstanding. Me? With Jieun? Please, that would never happen."

"Blah, blah, blah. Whatever you say! We know everything," Myungsoo said, still keeping a wide smirk. His smirk faded when he realized how many minutes had passed throughout their conversation. "Oh shoot. Baekhyun, we got to leave."

"Why?" Baekhyun whined, groaning. "I don't want to do math... Why do we have to do math? Math is useless when we want to be idols!"

"Actually, some idols are invited to variety shows, where they do math and other school subjects to prove how smart they are--"

"Daehyun, be quiet! Shouldn't you be in class? Your parents are going to get angry once they hear that you're skipping--"

"Fine, fine!" Daehyun said, raising his voice. "Let's get out of here. We'll meet during lunch, okay? Someone pass this note to Jieun."

Yoseob grabbed the small, folded white paper from Daehyun. "What? Is this a confession or something?"

Myungsoo and Baekhyun howled with laughter, as Daehyun turned bright red. 

"I-It's just the notes I borrowed from her earlier! I-I said that there's nothing going on between me and Jieun!" he shouted, chasing after the three boys out the door.

Although these five friends seemed to be the perfect group, there were situations that no one could understand except for them.

Situations that, unforuntely, got in the way of their dreams and their blinded fate.