Snobby Kid

Finding Everest

It was funny how Jieun was forced to wear a dress to this small occasion. No, it was funny how she was already in that dress. She remembered how Taeyeon brought Yoseob to the mall (Myungsoo didn't care, Baekhyun said that dresses looked terrible on her, and Daehyun said every dress looked great) so that the two could pick out a good-enough dress for the "date." It was a simple red dress coat dress matched with a scarlet, velvet legging. Her hair was left loose, but the autumn wind caused the hair to fly all over the place. In her hands was a large, blue purse in which she kept her phone and money.

She stood a few feet away from the café. In just one minute, she would have to run towards the meeting place. Once the clock ticked and moved, Jieun quickly walked forward with her boots which had small heels attached to them. As she stepped inside, the warm atmosphere and the scent of coffee beans surrounded her. She smiled to this, thinking how nice it would be to spend the day here. Jieun looked around, and as she was informed, there was a handsome, chiseled-face man in a red scarf. The man looked up, then raise his chin.

"You must be Lee Jieun, Taeyeon's acquaintance," he said, standing up to shake her hand. Jieun was about to shake his hand until he dropped his hand to the side. "Sorry, I must never touch a peasant's hand. It'll ruin my skin."

Jieun stared at him in disbelief. "Ah... Okay, then? Yes, I am Jieun. You must be Chen, yes?"

"Duh. Are you stupid or what?" he snapped, taking a seat.

Is this guy serious? she wondered. She flashed him a fake smile. "Of course. Stupid me! Ha, ha, ha..."

"Please, I heard a hyena laugh better than you," Chen muttered. 

"Oh, I'm so sorry," Jieun responded with sarcasm. "I didn't mean to offend you by laughing."

"You already did." Chen heaved a sigh and flipped through the plastic menu. "Wish Taeyeon had sent me a guy instead..."

"Are you a MyungBaek fan, too?"

"Am I a what?"

"Nothing."

The waitress came over, asking them if they wanted to place their order. Chen gave the woman a wonderful smile, swooning her tiny heart. He paused, then looked at Jieun.

"I already had lunch. You?" Chen asked.

"I had lunch, too. Though this cup of hot chocolate sounds nice. I'll have that," Jieun requested.

Chen put away the menu back to where he found it. "Then I'll have a glass of water, please."

The waitress asked them to wait a moment and left. Once she left, Chen rested his elbow on the table and leaned close to Jieun.

"Okay, then," he said. "Let's get to business. What is it that you want?"

"Well, I started a band with four other guys. We did pretty well on some of the contest we've entered, but we want to have people cheering for us, like fans. All we're requesting is for you to advertise our band in a positive light," Jieun explained cautiously.

"What's in it for me?" Chen asked as the waitress came back with their order.

"What do you mean what's in it for you? Isn't this date enough?" Jieun asked, widening her eyes.

"Nope. This was Taeyeon's way of saying 'thanks' or something. You probably let her fantasize something about boys, and her gift to you is this date. If I get enough fans for you, what are you going to do for me?" he asked.

"What do you want? You seem to have everything," she said, noting his diamond earring on his left ear and the rich texture of the scarf. She didn't forget to point out his handsome features, which caused some of the girls in the café to stare. Chen smirked and flipped his bangs in a cool manner.

"What can I say? I'm a challenge," he stated proudly.

You're also quite snobby, you know? Jieun thought. "But seriously, what do you want?"

"What do you think I want?" Chen asked, crossing his arms.

"I don't know. I'm not you, so that's why I'm asking you. Duh," Jieun responded, mocking the boy. He glared at her as if she was the nastiest thing he had ever seen. Although she was being hated, she liked the response she was getting from the guy.

"I was going to let you off easy, but now I change my mind," Chen declared. He pulled out his phone and started tapping his fingers against the screen. "For every ten fan that I gain for you in five minutes, I want you to set me up with a girl you think I'll like. I want a perfect girlfriend, which shouldn't be hard for you to find since you're a girl."

Jieun dropped her jaws. "Are you serious? I can't do that! I hardly know anyone at my school and all the girls hate me. Have I ever mentioned to you that I'm being bullied and I spend most of my time running away from bullying?"

"I'm sure that if you're friends with Taeyeon, you'll do fine. Taeyeon knows a lot of people. Actually, she knows more guys and has their numbers, but they don't pick up their phone. Poor, poor her," he muttered. 

"What happens if I can't do it?" Jieun asked.

"It's only one girl for every ten fans. You just have a lot of stuff to do. Oh, and I want a new girl per day, alright?" Chen said.

Jieun bit her tongue. "So... How many people are there?"

Chen raised an eyebrow, then laughed. "It hasn't even been five minutes, yet."

"Do I count for one of the girls?" she asked. Chen stared.

"You're short, not very attractive, nor are you smart at all. You're practically average. You have a rotten personality towards me and you can't do much on your own. Do you think I like you enough to go on a pity date?" Chen asked, putting a scar on Jieun's heart for every insult he made. Jieun clenched her teeth and restrained herself from jumping on him. She took a deep breath, then clasped her hands together.

"Master Chen," she flattered, "although I am not as mighty as you, nor am I as amazing as you, I would love to accept the pity date to clear off my debt that uses people instead of money."

Chen smirked, then waited for three minutes. An alarm went off, but he quickly turned it off. Then, he flipped his phone to show Jieun the number of fans he had earned for her. Jieun's eyes widened as she saw the numbers increase.

"It's been five minutes, and I've got a hundred of my schoolmates to favor your band. That means that you need to set me up ten dates," Chen informed her. "Since I'm feeling quite nice all of the sudden, I guess I can accept the pity date as one of the ten dates."

Yang Yoseob, I'll kill you when I come back from this date, Jieun thought, smiling on the outside.

 

Not too far from the temporary couple, Daehyun quietly sobbed. Baekhyun narrowed his eyes that the poor boy, while Myungsoo gave him tissues that he carried incase Taeyeon was around.

"Shut up! She'll know that we're here and call Yoseob!" Baekhyun hissed.

"She just got tainted... tainted!" Daehyun cried out. "She's on her first date and that's not me standing next to her... This is terrible! How could Yoseob do this to me?"

"Well, technically it's also your fault because you didn't even protest against this. You just stood there like a statue--like this." Myungsoo sat still, not moving a muscles. Seeing this, Daehyun broke down again and Baekhyun smacked Myungsoo's head. The innocent boy cried in pain, earning some attention from the customers around them--including Jieun and Chen.

"Um," the three heard Jieun say, "can you stay here for a second? I'll be right back..."

Baekhyun smacked Myungsoo's arm, who gave him an alarmed look. "What was that for?"

"Look what you did! Jieun's coming here!" Baekhyun hissed. 

"Is it my fault that you hurt me? You know how much that hurt?" Myungsoo asked, bewildered.

"Is it my fault that you're a baby? No, I don't think so. Be quiet and act like you aren't spying on them," Baekhyun whispered, noticing how Jieun was coming closer. The girl stopped at their table, then put her hands on their table. The three boys almost jumped out of their seat, surprised to see how disappointed she looked.

"May I ask you why you're here?" Jieun asked carefully.

"We're not here to spy on you, if you're wondering," Myungsoo said. This time, Baekhyun reached over to throw a harder punch at Myungsoo. Fortunately, when Jieun pulled him back by touching his chest, he flushed his cheeks and slowly sat back down. Baekhyun's heart pounded against his chest, and he didn't want Jieun to feel the loud beat.

"Look, I don't care that you're spying on me. I won't tell Yoseob, but you guys have to do something for me," Jieun said. The boys listened to her attentively, glad that she wasn't going to report to Yoesob. "I need you guys to find nine girls who would be perfect for Chen."

Myungsoo nodded his head a bit. "Perfect. Just call Girls' Generation and we're done."

Baekhyun grabbed a piece of tissue, rolled it up, and flicked it towards Myungsoo. "Idiot. How on earth are we going to get Girls' Generation?"

"At least I thought of an idea," Myungsoo said.

"Do you have a reasonable idea?"

"Why? Is Girls' Generation not reasonable?"

"Tell me a good reason why it would be reasonable."

"There's nine members. We need nine people," Myungsoo pointed out.

"Daehyun, help me out here," Jieun said, ignoring the two other boys. Daehyun kept quiet. She heaved a sigh. "You three are useless. I'm going to ask Yoseob for help them--"

"No!" Baekhyun said, reaching for the phone. "We can help!"

"Eh-hem." The four turned around and saw Chen standing right behind Jieun. Daehyun looked away in pain, Baekhyun shot him a glare, and Myungsoo gave him a cold look. Seeing their reaction, Chen became curious.

"Oh, Chen! Sorry. I'm just talking to my friends. Just wait for a second, then we'll go on our date, okay?" Jieun said, gently pushing him away.

He raised an eyebrow. "They're your friends? Not your brothers or boyfriends?"

"Brothers? We don't even look alike. Boyfriends? I'm not a player like you," Jieun said, rolling her eyes. Chen pressed his lips, trying to hide his grin. However, the corner of his lips went up and up after realizing what the situation was. Suddenly, his arm s around her waist and he brought her closer to his side to the point where their hips touched. He leaned close while Jieun leaned back, but the distance between their lips were only a few inches.

Baekhyun stood up, enraged, while Daehyun and Myungsoo stared at them in shock.

"Okay, princess. I'll meet you outside, 'kay?" Chen whispered in a husky tone. He did a quick peck on her cheeks, then walked away with a flirty good-bye. Naturally, her cheeks flushed and she slowly waved back. Baekhyun rolled his eyes, then scoffed.

"Is that guy serious? 'Okay, princess. I'll meet you outside, 'kay?' Ugh, disgusting," Baekhyun commented, pretending to throw up. Jieun quickly shook her head and placed her cold hands against her cheeks.

"A-Anyway," she stuttered, "make sure you get nine girls, okay?"

She scurried away, knowing that Chen didn't want to be kept waiting. Baekhyun sighed quietly and stared out the window, where Chen put his arm over her shoulder. When their eyes met, Chen only smirked at him and stuck out his tongue. 

"Did you see that?" Baekhyun asked, frantically pointing at the window. "Did you see that? You know, for someone who's in our age, he's pretty rude."

"But for someone who's around our age, he has the moves," Myungsoo defended, glancing at Daehyun. Baekhyun scowled and looked away. He didn't even bother arguing the little rascal.

Besides, he was speaking the truth.