Brain Freeze

Finding Everest

If life allowed you to be sinful without punishing you, would you love that?

For Baekhyun, no. Why? Because it was simply a bore. Getting whatever you want, doing whatever you wanted to do, and finding certain loopholes in unimportant situations wasn't entertaining after time passes by. The thrill for sneaking at a forbidden area was gone, and the heart-thumping moment when he cheated disappeared like a breeze. To him, being bad was boring; life was boring.

But having a computer... A computer always had an creative source. It was much more complicated and spoke a different language (mostly doing with 0's and 1's). However, these days even using his handy-dandy laptop was getting boring.

"This should do," Baekhyun muttered, rubbing his chin. He printed out a well-organized schedule and examined it. He glanced at the clock, and heaved a sigh. "Looks like I better start and head over to the office. Time to sneak around and find Yoseob's pop quiz answers!"

He went outside the club room and found himself on the stairs. As he climbed down and occasionally stared at his watch, he stopped for a moment and heard even louder footsteps. He frowned, and went to the nearest wall to hide behind it. 

"Do you think this new spray paint will look like blood on their door?" a female student whispered.

"Sh! If someone's lurking around here, they're going to report us!" the other student hissed. Baekhyun examined the two ladies for a moment, then sighed. He knew exactly who they were. They were from Yoseob's mini fan club, and they were probably going to tell Jieun to back off again.

Idiots, he thought, rolling his eyes. Once the two girls went up, Baekhyun stared at his watch. No time to stop them. Jieun's just got to deal with it. I mean, the words they write are pretty dumb.

Right then, his phone began to ring. Annoyed over himself for stalling time, he stared at the caller and found that it was Jieun calling him. He heaved a sigh and tapped his foot. He could ignore Jieun, or he could answer her call.

What will it be, what will it be... Baekhyun wondered. Well, I already let those idiots go up and write bad stuff about Jieun. Guess I could accept her call.

"Hello?" he answered, making his way down the stairs again.

"Baekhyun, have you heard that we're not going to practice this week?" Jieun asked.

"I heard from Daehyun. He said that he had some stuff to do with his family," he responded. How fortunate of him. "Is that it?"

"No. Myungsoo's right here, walking back home with me. He wants to talk to you."

Baekhyun stopped his tracks and felt his heart throb. "You're walking with Myungsoo again? Why?"

"Relax, Baekhyun! We're neighbors, duh!" Myungsoo from the background exclaimed. Baekhyun twitched his lips. He cleared his throat loudly and moved his cell phone to the next ear.

"Clearly I'm not neighborly enough for you, aren't I, Jieun?" Baekhyun said crossly.

"Don't be like that, Baekhyun. It's just Myungsoo. If anything, I was supposed to walk back home with Daehyun today, but he's with Yoseob," Jieun explained. "Oh, and Myungsoo said that he wants to know if you're done with the history homework. He wants to copy it down--"

"Tell him to forget it and do his own work," Baekhyun muttered. "I got to go. You guys are wasting my time."

"Wait, wait!" Jieun exclaimed. "Myungsoo wants to know if you've seen those girls who wrote the nasty stuff on our club room's door."

Baekhyun paused and looked back up the stairs. The girls weren't coming down yet. He could scramble back up quietly, snap a picture, and report it. He stared at his watch, and the schedule he had printed out. He heaved a sigh and rubbed his eyes.

"Look, I... I'm busy. I have to go. I'm going to get Yoseob's pop quiz answers, okay?" Baekhyun reported.

Jieun gasped. "Baekhyun, you're cheating again?"

"I'm not cheating! Yoseob is!" he retorted. "I'm just doing him a favor--"

"Oops! Got to go, Baekhyun. Myungsoo and I are heading over my house to play. Come after you're done clearing up your mind," she said coldly. Before Baekhyun was able to speak against Myungsoo going over to Jieun's house, she hung up. He scowled and glared at the phone angrily. Yet, he managed to keep his cool and put away the phone in his pockets.

Baekhyun knew that Daehyun had a crush on Jieun. Seeing how the woman in Daehyun's self-composed songs perfectly described Jieun already told everyone how he was interested in the only girl among their friends. The good thing about Daehyun liking Jieun was that he couldn't express his feelings. However, when Myungsoo got close to Jieun...

Baekhyun shook his head. No, no. I will not get jealous over a friend hanging around with another of my friend. Plus, it's not like I want to like her or anything. If anything, I only like technology.

With this thought, he smiled to himself and continued to climb down the stairs, enveloping his hidden feelings for Jieun with his love for a machine.

 

Myungsoo's teeth clashed against the cold melon bar, causing him to instinctively reach for his mouth and cover it while making an unpleasant expression. He clutched his head and swallowed the bitten green ice cream. Once he did, he exhaled loudly and pounded his fist gently against his head.

"Ah! Brain freeze!" he cried out. Jieun rolled her eyes and playfully her own melon bar. She threw him his backpack and brought hers closer to the small round table at the center of their room.

"Wow, I can't believe you actually ate it that fast," she muttered.

Myungsoo grinned. "Yeah, but it's fun to get a brain freeze once it a while."

"You're a strange boy, Myungsoo," Jieun responded. "So, have you made any friends yet?"

"What do you mean? I have Baekhyun, Yoseob, Daeyhyun, and you--"

"I mean classmates. Have you made some friends at your class? Or are you still planning to hang around with the four of us? You know that friends don't last forever, right? Once we leave, you're going to have to find a new buddy," she explained earnestly, taking out her notebook to do her homework. When she opened it, it was marked it permanent marker. Words like, "hate" and "die" was written all over her well-written notes. She bit her bottom lip, and tore the pages off.

"I don't see you standing up for yourself when you see all these nasty notes," Myungsoo retorted. "Why don't you do something about that, huh?"

"Myungsoo, my thoughts of school is different than yours," she said.

"Like how?"

"Well, for one thing, I actually go to school to learn, not for attendance. Therefore, friends do not matter to me. As long as I have lessons and the ability to study, I'll be perfectly fine at school. You don't need friends at school."

"Is that so? Well, then I don't know what you consider me and the rest of the guys as, but we're special, hm?" he asked.

"You guys are all like my brother. Except for Yoseob. He's like an uncle," she joked, giggling to herself. Myungsoo shrugged his shoulder and grabbed a random pillow from her bed. He laid on his stomach, and nibbled gently on his ice cream. When he accidentally took a big bite, her shut his eyes and clutched his head.

"Ah! Brain freeze! Jieun, help!" he exclaimed, rolling on the floor. Jieun sighed and looked away.

"You know what, Myungsoo? You're so hopeless."

"Shut up-- Ah! Brain freeze!"

"...Wow, you really are a hopeless guy."