Starship High

Finding Everest

Yoseob stared carefully at the band members. As usual, it was lunch, and they were all hanging out at the club room. Though something wasn't right. Was it because of how Baekhyun was silent? Possibly the reason why everything seemed awkward was because Myungsoo was actually moving around the room, or probably Daehyun frequently avoided eye-contact with Jieun. Maybe the reason that something seemed to be off was how Jieun was humming a tune to herself with a freaky smile on her face.

Either way, Yoseob knew something had happened, and he wasn't sure what it was. He strummed the acoustic guitar, letting the sound echo in the room. All of the sudden, as if the sound was some sort of poison, the four reacted by snapping out of their thoughts and staring at him. Yoseob looked back, knowing that he hadn't done anything wrong.

Something's fishy, he thought, still staring at the other four. "What's up?"

"N-Nothing," Jieun stuttered nervously. "It's just that you played so suddenly..."

"This is what I always do," Yoseob said, raising an eyebrow.

"Really? Is that so? I never realized," Daehyun said in a formal tone. Yoseob scoffed. What was going on? Curiousity began to run around his head, annoying him to the point where he almost glared at his friends.

"Well... It's been a week since Jieun went on a date with Chen--"

Baekhyun stiffened, and almost glared at the oldest.

"--and because of him, we got a lot of support. The bullying towards Jieun being the only female member finally stopped. See? The doors are never painted in red anymore," Yoseob commented, pointing at the door behind him. "Therefore, I think it's best for all of us to write our thanks in a small card or text."

"No!" Baekhyun shouted. "No, I am not saying thanks to him."

Yoseob stared even longer. "Why not? It's not like he did anything to you--"

"He did everything to me," he replied back, crossing his arms.

How strange, Yoseob thought. Baekhyun is way too moody.

"Um... Rather than writing a letter or a card, why not compose a song for him?" Jieun suggested softly. "In fact, if we don't have time the compose, I found a great song!"

"I'm not in. I don't want to sing him a song," Daehyun complained, still avoiding eye-contact. Myungsoo walked over to the drum sets, and playfully tapped his finger against the drums.

"Writing a song seems too much, don't you think?" Myungsoo asked. "I say we just leave everything alone and go with the flow."

Finally, Yoseob heaved a sigh. He motioned everyone to come close to him or to take a seat somewhere in the room. All four gathered around him, sitting down on the floor or on the sofa.

"You guys are acting really weird. Did something happen without me getting involved? Seriously, it's like Chen did something to you guys and you're holding a grudge against him," Yoseob said.

"Well, while you were gone and doing whatever, he did do something--"

"--to no one!" Jieun interrupted, putting her hand over Baekhyun's loud mouth. She faked a large smile, causing Yoseob to feel more worried.

He kept wondering what was going on, what had happened, and if there was some kind of mess he had to clean up. He knew for sure that he wasn't gone too long, but he also knew that trouble followed them wherever they went. Still, he decided to let things go and acted as if he didn't care about their situation. Instead, he pulled out another flyer and handed it to Myungsoo. The boys and Jieun gathered around the new piece of paper, wondering what event was going on.

"While you guys were doing... stuff, I guess, I was looking around for another event. Apparently, Starship High School is holding up a small fair. I thought that we can join in and participate in the music event they have at the beginning of the fair," he explained slowly. "I already signed us up as a five-membered band. That means that we all have to stick together, okay? You can't leave Jieun and I to do all the work like last time."

Suddenly, the quiet boy crumbled up the poster and threw it across the room. Everyone looked at Myungsoo, who had a foul expression all over his face. Before anyone was able to ask him what was wrong, he stormed out of the room in silence, not daring to speak another word. Daehyun glanced over at the rest, equally as confused as they all were.

"Did you... say something wrong?" Daehyun asked Yoseob. The oldest shrugged his shoulders, unsure of what to do or say.

 

Night fell into place, and at Starship High School, the room on the second building was glowing in a bright shade of yellow. Inside the room, two girls were on their laptops, slowly typing in information valuable to their up-coming fair. A girl with a high ponytail groaned in pain as she swiped her bangs to the side in an irritated manner.

"This ! Why do we have to do all this? Honestly, those guys completely ditched us," Dasom complained, gritting her teeth.

"It's not that bad, is it? I'm sure they'll come soon..." The red-haired female stopped sewing the clothes, then looked up when she heard the door open. "Oh, look. There they are."

"Shim Hyunseung! Where in the world have you been?" Dasom yelled, narrowing her eyes.

The blond looked up in distress. "Chill! I said I was going to get some drinks from the vending machine."

"Shut up! Where did he go?"

"Who?"

"No Minwoo, Hyunseung. Remember? The genius young boy who skipped several grades and attends our high school as a first year," Soyou said in a small, soft voice. She heaved a sigh. "Did you lose him?"

"N-Nonsense! I'm sure that Minwoo is fine... somewhere," Hyunseung said, lowering his voice at the last word. Dasom narrowed her eyes, then stood up as she dropped the thread and needle on the table.

"Honestly, Hyunseung. Focus! This isn't all games, you know? We actually have to set up everything and prepare. Not a lot of people are participating for the music event, either. This !" Dasom whined, pouting. 

Then, another boy came in. However, he looked too young to be a high school student. In fact, he looked like he belonged in middle school because of his youthful appearance and his shorter height. Nevertheless, he walked into the room as if he belonged there, giving off a nice aura around him. In one hand, he held a plastic bag full of snacks and in the other, he held onto some mails.

Soyou tucked back a strand of scarlet hair and smiled gently at the new boy. "Welcome, Minwoo. We were just about to go out and look for you."

Dasom snatched away a bag, pulled out a pack of gum, and began to chew on it. In the corner of her eyes, she spotted him take a seat and open each mail, pulling out the written form they released a few days ago. She groaned and bumped her head against the table, tired with full of complaints.

"Great. So now our team consists of a girl who's too passive, an irresponsible boy, and the silent little one." She heaved a loud sigh. "Well, I guess I should be thankful that I got some help rather than no help. Okay, let's get back to work! Minwoo, tell me the names of the new groups coming in."

Minwoo nodded his head, obeying his senior's request. He began to multi-task: reading off names, throwing away forms that were incomplete, and alphabetizing other forms that were already accepted. Hours went by, and just before the sun's glow touched their skin, they finally finished filing and sorting the group names. While everyone fell asleep, Minwoo crept quietly over to the files and picked out a particular form from the stack of papers. He looked at the paper, and read the names of the band members.

Yang Yoseob, Lee Jieun, Jung Daehyun, Byun Baekhyun, and Kim... Myungsoo... He paused. Then, he put back the form into its rightful stack and went to the nurse's room to get some blankets, tuning a whistle to himself.