Smashing Pillows

Finding Everest

Myungsoo woke up during the afternoon. He yawned and stretched his arms as he slowly got up from his bed. When he noticed that the sun was still out, he decided to get some fresh air on the balcony. He rotated his neck, cracked his knuckles, and opened the large window pane. A gush of air swept through his hair as the brilliant sunlight hit his face. When he dragged his feet outside, he looked to his side.

"Jieun!" Myungsoo called. There was no response. 

She must have went out.

"Jieun! Jieun! Ji--eun!" Myungsoo repeated. A neighborhood dog barked at him for being disruptive in the neighborhood. Myungsoo flinched for a moment, then stared down at the dog with a cold glare. "Shut up, you little mammal."

Myungsoo sighed and pulled out a bucket of rock he had placed in certain situations like now. He grabbed a handful of pebbles, and cleaned closely to Jieun's balcony. He carefully aimed at a window pane just beyond Jieun's house. Then, he threw all the pebbles against Baekhyun's window. After five tosses, Baekhyun finally opened his window and poked his head outside.

"What the heck do you want, Kim Myungsoo?" Baekhyun shouted.

Myungsoo cupped his hands. "Are you busy? Where's Jieun?"

"Couldn't you just get out of your house, skip Jieun's house, and come to mine? Are you that lazy?" Baekhyun scolded him. "Anyways, check your message!"

"But you never get the door. You're always stuck on that glowing box," Myungsoo complained, examining one of the rocks he was about to throw.

"It's called a computer, not a 'glowing box!' Anyways, if you got nothing else to do, I suggest you leave me alone," Baekhyun said. With that, his head disappeared from Myungsoo's sight. In a few minutes, the cicadas began to buzz, singing their high-pitched song as if no one heard them. Myungsoo paused, then closed his eyes to listen to the annoying sound of the bugs screaming for attention. Then, he disappeared back into his room. A few moments later, he came out with an electric guitar. He plugged the cords into his stereo.

It's worth a shot, Myungsoo told himself. He took a deep breath, then strummed the instrument in one go. A loud, frightening sound echoed from the musical instrument. The high frequency caused the dogs all over the neighborhood to whimper or bark, while the birds flapped their wings to get away from the loud instrument. When Myungsoo heard a crack from a window, he stopped strumming and widened his eyes in shock. He glanced over at his window pane, and noticed a small crack.

Finally, Baekhyun came out of his room and onto the balcony.

"Yo," Myungsoo greeted him coolly.

"Don't just 'yo' me!" Baekhyun shouted. "What do you want, huh? You almost made my ears bleed!"

"So what did Jieun send you?" Myungsoo asked. Baekhyun dropped his jaws. 

"Are you freaking serious?" Baekhyun muttered. "Did you check your cell phone? Didn't you receive her text message or something? Yoseob sent us all a text to have pizza over his house! Jieun went there." He paused. "Idiot."

Myungsoo nodded his head, unfazed over the name he was given. "Oh... You going?"

"No, not today," Baekhyun replied. "I'm currently trying to make a new phone app that would help me--"

"Great! I'll go over there and pick you up. Let me bring the ice cream," Myungsoo said. Before Baekhyun had the chance to say anything, Myungsoo had already slipped inside his room and closed the window, leaving him speechless. Baekhyun dropped his jaws, then scoffed as he rolled his eyes.

"Who does that guy think he is..?" Baekhyun mumbled. He returned to his room, scratching his head. "Now, if I think about it, we're all supposed to bring something when Yoseob buys pizza. Jieun was drinks, Myungsoo was ice cream, and Daehyun brought fruits. What did I bring...?"

Eh, who cares! I'm sure there's plenty of food, Baekhyun thought, forgetting to bring the chips.

 

In just fifteen minutes, Baekhyun and Myungsoo found themselves invading Yoseob's room and finding not only Yoseob and Jieun, but also Daehyun. Daehyun happily munched on his pizza, not giving a care to the two boys who had entered the room. When he finally realized their presence, he gulped down his food and dropped his jaws.

"Woah! Myungsoo, Baekhyun! You guys came!" Daehyun exclaimed. 

Baekhyun made a fist. "I thought you were with your dad the entire day..."

"I was, but then I left after I saw Yonghwa hyung," he replied. He pulled out a drink from the plastic bag Jieun had brought. "Want to drink something? You guys look dehydrated."

"Don't mind if I do," Myungsoo said, grabbing the soda. "Oh, and I brought ice cream!"

"Ah, did you bring the chips, Baekhyun?" Yoseob asked. "You always forget to bring the chips."

Baekhyun heaved a sigh slowly and put his fingers on his forehead. "Daehyun, has it never occurred to you that you could've sent us a text or something that said you were going to come early? I could've arranged something!" He turned to Yoseob. "Oh, and I didn't bring any. I forgot."

Jieun elbowed Yoseob's rib. "See? I told you that he'd forget."

Yoseob elbowed her shoulder. "Shut up. I didn't know that he'd still forget. He's a computer nerd. I thought that he'd at least remember to bring chips. Besides, he already remembers all these computer codes and stuff that even I don't understand!"

"Whoever remembers chips over important technology would be an idiot," Baekhyun declared. "Myungsoo, pass me a pizza."

"Okay. Since the five of us are here, should we practice or something?" Myungsoo suggested.

"How do we practice if there's no instruments, idiot?"

"Maybe vocal training? Daehyun could practice a bit more. Jieun's also doing some back-up singing."

"What about the rest of us? Do we just watch?" Yoseob asked.

Jieun flushed her cheeks. "N-No. You guys, you know that I can only sing when it's just me and Baekhyun in the recording studio. I can't sing in front of an audience, even if they're my friends."

Daehyun grimaced while Baekhyun smirked. Myungsoo waved his hands and shook his head.

"There's nothing to be shy about singing, Jieun," Myungsoo said. "I hear you sing all the time when you take a shower! Baekhyun can hear you, too, right?"

Baekhyun spat out his drink while Daehyun choked on a snack he was eating. The three others flinched, startled about their sudden reaction. Yoseob gave off a disgusted look towards Baekhyun, who grabbed a nearby tissue and began to wipe the mess he made off the floor. His heart suddenly began to beat faster when he spotted Jieun staring at him with red cheeks from the corner of his eyes. He looked over to his side and found Daehyun giving him an intense, fearing look.

"W-W-What do you mean?" Baekhyun stuttered. "I can't hear a thing. I'm on my computer with my earphones in my ear. Gosh, Myungsoo. Are you a ert or something?"

Hearing this, Jieun quickly turned her attention to Myungsoo and grabbed a nearby pillow. She continued to throw the pillow at him several times, while Myungsoo curled up to a ball with a puzzled expression. Yoseob was in between them, trying to stop Jieun from flattening Myungsoo into a 2-D figure. Baekhyun chuckled awkwardly by himself.

Safe! he thought proudly. He turned to Daehyun, who had a relieved expression. Seeing this, Baekhyun got slightly annoyed. Maybe I should've admitted it...

"You gross, erted, little melon ice cream eating jerk! How could you just eavesdrop on me like that, huh? You have no idea how hard I try to keep my voice low so that no one hears me! Why'd you have to announce this to the whole world?" Jieun exclaimed, ing the pillow towards the poor victim. 

Myungsoo defended his head by using his arm. "I don't get why you're so embarrassed! You sing so well! It's a really soothing voice! It helps me fall asleep at night, sometimes."

The pillow stopped charging towards him. When Myungsoo slowly looked up to face Jieun, he felt his heart skip a beat for a moment. Jieun stood over him with Yoseob's pillow in her hands, her cheeks pink and her ears bright red. Before Myungsoo could say anything, Jieun quickly sat back down and fanned herself with her hand.

"You sound like a creep," she croaked, looking away from him. Myungsoo paused, then broke into a grin. He patted her head and nodded his head.

"I'll take that as a compliment," he replied. Yoseob glanced over at Daehyun, who had an uncomfortable expression written all over his face. The older one, wanting to help out the youngest, cleared his throat loudly.

"Break it up, you two!" Yoseob cried out. "You guys act like lovers. It's a bit annoying."

Jieun paused, then stuck out her tongue. "As if! Who'd like this hopeless guy over here?"

"I know someone who likes this weird girl here," Myungsoo said, staring at Daehyun. Daehyun's face turned bright red when Myungsoo winked at him. Before anyone could throw him questions, Daehyun stuffed his mouth with a handful of salty chips.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Daehyun mumbled, staring down at his socks.

Throughout the entire day, Jieun kept pestering Myungsoo and Yoseob, curious about the guy who might've liked her. Baekhyun played with his phone in boredom, while Daehyun kept stuffing his mouth with food to prevent himself from blurting any nonsense that could affect his relationship with Jieun.