A Group Name

Finding Everest

"I say that we need a group name--"

"Oops." All four stared at Myungsoo, who accidentally spilled soda on the wooden floor. Jieun widened her eyes and quickly ran to grab some tissues. Baekhyun punched Myungsoo's shoulder to call him an "idiot" and Daehyun only gasped. The five were at Yoseob's small house, and he wasn't pleased to see Myungsoo act so clumsy.

"Sorry, Yoseob," Jieun apologized, wiping up the mess Myungsoo made. "What were you saying?"

"I said that we should give our band a name," Yoseob repeated.

"Let's call ourselves 'Myungsoo and the Rest.' I like that," Myungsoo replied, grinning. 

"If anything, it should be 'Baek and Everyone.' Oh, it would also have 'Idiot Myungsoo' in the name, too," Baekhyun added.

"How about 'Sugar Drops'?" Jieun suggested. Everyone kept quiet. Suddenly, Daehyun rose his hand and nodded his head.

"I nominate that!" he shouted. Baekhyun widened his eyes, then turned slightly pink as he rose his hand.

"I-I, too, nominate that!" Baekhyun stuttered. Myungsoo, who thought that this was some sort of game, also rose his hand. He grinned cheekily at all of them.

"I also nominate--"

"Myungsoo, no! Stop!" Yoseob shouted, forcing Myungsoo's hand down. "Guys, I do not want the name to emphasize an individual, like 'Myungsoo and the Rest.' I don't want it long, either, like 'Baek and Everyone with Idiot Myungsoo.' And I definitely don't want to call ourselves the 'Sugar Drops."

"Okay. So you want something short, group-like, and not 'Sugar Drops.' How about 'Drops Sugar'?" Daehyun asked.

Yoseob shot him a glare. "I'm serious, Daehyun!"

"What about if we include the number 'five' in our name? There's five members, and that doesn't express an individual either," Baekhyun suggested, pulling out his laptop. Yoseob clasped his hands together and gave him a hug.

"Yes! Baekhyun, I knew that I could always depend on you!" he cheered.

"Shut up. I'm thinking," Baekhyun snapped, slipping on his glasses. Yoseob pouted. "Okay, so we got the number 'five.' What else?"

"Let's call ourselves 'Band Five,'" Myungsoo said lazily. "It's easy to remember."

"No. I refuse to call ourselves something so plain," Daehyun replied. "I want 'Vocal Five.'"

"Not all of us sing, Daehyun," Yoseob reminded. "You sing the most, then Jieun. After is probably Baekhyun, me, and last would be Myungsoo."

"'Guitar Five'!" Myungsoo blurted.

"Myungsoo, I think you should just sit down and let us do the thinking. I think you're causing a distraction," Jieun said, patting Myungsoo's back. 

Yoseob raised a hand. "Wait. Why did we create this band in the first place?"

The room was enveloped in silence. Everyone stared at each other, curious over their reason of making a band. Was it for fun? Definitely not. They were serious about making music and playing it. They didn't think that composing a song was a joke. They didn't want to sing with barely any emotion or meaningless lyrics. But what was the reason for them to create a band?

"My reason is to convince my dad that being a singer is just as great as majoring in a medical field," Daehyun finally spoke up.

"For amusement," Baekhyun added. "Something to keep my mind running besides electronics."

"To make more friends, I guess," Myungsoo replied. "Jieun told me that being in a band makes people more popular."

Jieun flushed her cheeks. "I said that I read it in a comic book!" She took a deep breath, then sighed. "For me... I guess to escape from reality."

"My goal is probably to distinguish myself from others. To make others look up at me and realize that I'm not an average guy; I'm more than that," Yoseob shared. He suddenly scratched the back of his head. "Woah. We all have different reasons for this band."

"And it's difficult to reach them," Daehyun added.

"Something difficult to reach. Like a star?" Baekhyun asked, running his fingers through his computer.

"I guess, but not exactly something like a star. Like, it's a goal that we can accomplish; a goal that we can reach."

"So like the sky? We have airplanes. There's also sky-diving, so we could technically 'touch' the sky."

"But airplanes will run out of fuel, and they'll go down. They can also be hi-jacked, so it's pretty dangerous. Sky-diving always goes down, and when we're near the ground, we use something to help us slow down to reach the ground. Our goals are high up, but they never fall down."

"You make things sound pretty scary, Daehyun," Myungsoo mentioned.

"So like a mountain?" Baekhyun suggested, ignoring Myungsoo's comment. Daehyun nodded his head.

"Yeah, like a mountain!" he exclaimed.

"But we need those air tanks thing to help us go up," Yoseob pointed out.

"That's true," Jieun agreed. "So then what? No mountain?"

"How about Everest Five?" Baekhyun asked. He turned his computer so that the screen could face the other four. "Mount Everest is the highest mountain in the world. It's difficult to reach, but people have reached the top before. You go down, but you always go back up to face the tougher challenges. You go down when you want go down, or when you can't survive on the mountain anymore."

"That sounds tough," Myungsoo said, tapping his chin. "I'm in! I like that. Everest Five. I really like the English words in our name."

"It sounds too plain," Yoseob complained.

"But it has a deeper meaning. 'Five goals that can be reached, but possibly not touched.' Hm? Do you like that?" Baekhyun asked.

"No. It makes us look like losers and sound hopeless," Myungsoo muttered.

"Then... 'Climb it and reach the top.'"

"But what if we don't reach the top?"

"Myungsoo, do you have to be so negative?" Baekhyun shot him a glare, while Myungsoo stuck his tongue out.

Yoseob clasped his hands together. "We'll work on the quote thing later, but do we all agree that Everest Five should be our band name?"

"I'm cool with it," said Baekhyun.

"Good enough with me," Myungsoo added.

"I think it has a deep meaning, so I'm in!" the enthusiastic girl exclaimed.

"Sure, why not?" the youngest agreed.

"So it's settled, then," Yoseob said. He put out his hand in the center. "We're Everest Five, right?"

"Right!" the other four exclaimed in unison.

"And we're going to win the contest in three weeks, right?"

"Rig--"

"Wait," Jieun said, stopping everyone. "What do you mean by that?"

Everyone stared at Yoseob, who pulled out a flyer from his pocket. "This is our next big event: Cube Academy's Shout It! Contest. We can do this in three weeks, right?"

Baekhyun grabbed a magazine, rolled it up, and whacked it against Yoseob's head, scolding him for signing up with so little time.

 

"Ah, this . Why did I have to break up with my boyfriend? Who's going to be there to support me and run up to me when we win that contest?" a beautiful, young girl whined. She pouted cutely and curled herself at the corner of the room. Guys, who were practicing in the same dance room as her, flushed their cheeks when they saw the girl's adorable frown.

"It's okay, Naeun," a girl with a thick dialect said. "There's a ton of other guys in this world, too."

"Speaking of guys and contest..." Another girl, but with shorter hair, walked over to Naeun and handed her a couple of papers. "... I, as the student council secretary, managed to grab some information about who's going to participate in our contest. We have a couple of bands and groups from other schools, and they all submitted a picture of the band. Maybe you can check some guys out, and pick one that you like."

Naeun rolled her eyes. "Namjoo, please. There will never be another guy just like my ex-boyfriend--Woah, hey! Who's this cutie?"

"Who? Who?" the girl with the dialect asked curiously. She bent down and gasped. "Woah, are you talking about the guy with brown hair who looks cute? He's a keeper!"

"No, I'm talking about the guy with black hair who's not smiling at all," Naeun said, pointing at a rather handsome fellow. She grinned. "I choose him! He will be my boyfriend!"

"And what makes you say that he's going to be yours? For one thing, he might be in love with that girl in the photo. It's a band with one girl who's surrounded by four guys. What if he likes her?" Namjoo asked. 

Naeun tapped her finger against her lips. "Well, there has to be someone else who likes her in that group. Let's see... This guy!" She pointed to the guy with blond hair. "I think this guy likes her. His eyes are on her."

"That's our Naeun, Eunji," Namjoo said towards the girl with the dialect.

"Well, let her do what she wants. She's still pretty young, right?" Eunji replied.