Eunji

Finding Everest

"Myungsoo! Wake up, will you? We're going to leave you!" Jieun hollered, pressing her finger against the door bell. Baekhyun took out a mirror from his pocket and checked his hair, hoping that it was well-groomed. Daehyun chewed on his bottom lip, too nervous to do or say anything. However, both did glance at Jieun, who was wearing such a simple outfit. Today was one of those rare moments where she would wear shorts. All she had was a tan-colored shorts and a pink t-shirt, but both boys felt uncomfortable seeing her such a thing.

Such a revealing outfit, Baekhyun thought, clearing his throat nervously.

Wait, what do I do if someone tries to hit on her? What am I supposed to say? Why is she wearing short pants? That's too short! Daehyun complained in his mind.

"My goodness! He's like a sloth or something," Jieun muttered, pressing the door bell for the last time. Baekhyun and Daehyun murmured in agreement, unsure of how to continue their conversation. Suddenly, the door swung open and Myungsoo appeared at the door. Fortunately for them, he was already dressed. However, he seemed drowsy and half-conscious of his own actions. His eyes opened for a moment, then closed.

"Oh, hey Jieun," he slurred. Then, his head landed against her shoulder. Daehyun and Baekhyun widened their eyes, shocked at his close skin ship towards her. His lips were barely touching her neck, and his hands were almost brushing against her thigh.

"G-Get him off of me!" Jieun stuttered, turning red. Daehyun was about to step in and help, but Baekhyun swooped forward and pulled Myungsoo away from her. He finally slapped Myungsoo's cheeks twice, causing the sleepy man to become awake. Myungsoo blinked his eyes innocently and stood up on his own feet.

"Ah... Why am I here?" Myungsoo stammered, rubbing the back of his neck.

"You... Ugh! Forget, you! Come on, Daehyun!" Jieun shouted, grabbing Daehyun's arm. Daehyun immediately turned beet red, aware of how tightly she was grabbing his arm. As Jieun dragged Daehyun away from the other two boys, Myungsoo glanced over at Baekhyun with a look of confusion.

"Did I do anything wrong?" Myungsoo asked.

Baekhyun scowled. "Never mind that! Just go and apologize to her. Come on."

"Wait, where are we going?"

"Shopping, remember?" Baekhyun reminded him. Myungsoo shaped his mouth into a circle, and ran back into his house. He came out with a black wallet in his hand.

"Okay, let's go! I almost forgot that it was Saturday," Myungsoo said, running past his friend. Baekhyun sighed and rolled his eyes as he looked up to the sky.

Maybe I should've stayed with Yoseob at the club room, he thought. At that moment, the memory of how Myungsoo almost touched Jieun's thigh and her neck appeared in his head. He shook his head. Never mind. Coming here was the best choice.

 

Yoseob wiped his sweat after he finally arrived at the club room. Several other clubs were already busy with their own activities down stairs. He felt kind of embarrassed to come to the room alone, but he knew that he had to set things up or else time would be wasted. He opened the room, and stared at the instruments that were laid on the ground. He broke into a smile, and entered the cool room. He walked over to the couch and dropped the plastic bag, which was full of food and drinks he bought last night, onto a nearby table.

"I wonder when they're coming back," he whispered to himself, staring at his watch. Bored, Yoseob dug through the plastic bag to find his favorite snack. His eyes widened when he realized that he forgot to pack his snack and Jieun's favorite drink.

"Shoot! Jieun is going to kill me if I don't get her vitamin water," Yoseob exclaimed, panicking. 

If I remember correctly, there was a department store close by here. I should go there and buy my snack and Jieun's drink, he thought. He got up from his seat and checked his wallet incase he didn't have enough money. When he correctly counted the amount of cash he had, he smiled and left the room.

 

"This is the department store."

"Yep, you're absolutely correct, Baekhyun!"

"Why are we at a department store? I know an awesome technology store just a train away! We can buy a pretty good microphone there for a pretty good price--"

"Baekhyun, we don't have the money yet," Daehyun pointed out. "We need to win cash from that contest we're planning to enter, remember?"

Baekhyun sulked. "But..."

"I think this place is great," Jieun blurted. "The electronics here are pretty cheap, but they don't last very long. I don't think we're going to need a big, super-advanced microphone yet."

"But there's also a music store that holds microphones a few buses away--"

"Cheap, close to the school, and close to me. Great! Let's go inside," Myungsoo added, pushing everyone into the department store. Baekhyun pouted as they entered the cool, refreshing building. They were on the first floor, where all the groceries and snacks were.

"If we want to go to the technology area, we should take the elevator," Jieun said, checking on the map that was displayed near the entrance. Myungsoo's eyes glowed as he shot his hand up in the air.

"I'm taking the stairs!" Myungsoo exclaimed.

Jieun stared at him. "Myungsoo, I don't think that you're going to climb several stairs to the seventh floor..."

"Baekhyun, I'll race you!" he shouted, completely ignoring what she was saying.

Baekhyun frowned. "But I don't like run--"

"If you lose, I get to go in your house and smash Eunji!" Myungsoo declared. He smiled at Jieun, who frowned. "Eunji is Baekhyun's favorite laptop. He said that it contains the letters of the girl he likes--"

"I'm running!" Baekhyun interrupted, grabbing his friend's collar. Myungsoo winked at Daehyun, who slowly began to turn pink. Now Daehyun was completely aware of what Myungsoo was doing. He was giving him a chance to have some alone time with Jieun. Jieun was about to run after the two until Daehyun grabbed her wrist. When she stared back at him with a frown, he suddenly turned away.

"Ah... My leg kind of hurts, so let's take the elevator," Daehyun said shyly. Jieun looked back at Myungsoo and Baekhyun, who were already gone. She turned back to him and smiled.

"Um, sure. But do you think those two will be fine?" she asked, walking over to take the elevator.

Daehyun faked a laugh. "Who knows? I'm sure that they'll be fine..."

 

Fifteen minutes had passed, and Baekhyun was panting hard. He put his hands on his lap and stared down at the ground. When he looked up, Myungsoo was yawning and boringly waiting for him at the top.

"How... can you still... run?" he panted.

"How are you already tired? It's only been fifteen minutes. How do you survive through P.E?" Myungsoo asked, frowning at his friend.

"What... floor?" Baekhyun asked, completely ignoring what Myungsoo was asking him. Myungsoo stared at the blue letter that was painted on the wall. He sighed.

"We're on the fifth floor. We just need a few more and--"

"Forget it, I'm taking... the elevator!" Baekhyun declared, climbing up the final few steps. He was about to open the exit door until Myungsoo stopped him.

"Wait! Don't you want Daehyun to have some alone time with Jieun?" Myungsoo asked, blocking his path.

Baekhyun scoffed. "What? All Daehyun does is keep quiet, say something pretty lame, and end the conversation. Everytime we give him a chance to speak with her, he doesn't do much except blush and act all shy and embarrassed."

"He just needs a little push--"

"Oh yeah? And how many pushes is that going to take? He doesn't even say that he likes her!" Baekhyun exclaimed. 

"Yeah, but he's Daehyun for a reason," Myungsoo pointed out. "Just give him some more time. I mean, think about it. He also has to worry about his parents going against his dreams--"

"Okay, okay, okay. I got it. I'll climb some more stairs with you," Baekhyun said, giving in. Then, he shot Myungsoo a glare. "Hey, but you promised that you wouldn't tell anyone about the secret meaning behind Eunji, remember?"

"Who cares? I already know who Eunji stands for," Myungsoo replied, rolling his eyes.

Baekhyun froze, and slowly eyed at him. "Oh... Oh yeah? Then who was it that I liked?"

Myungsoo sighed and rested his elbow against the stair rails. He gently placed his chin against the palm of his hand and stared at Baekhyun with eyes like dagger. For the first time in a while, Baekhyun felt his heart beat against his chest quickly and forcefully.

"Eunji is Jieun, right? The characters are spelled backwards."

Baekhyun kept quiet and only stared at Myungsoo with large eyes. His heart was racing and he began to sweat. He just had to make something up before Myungsoo's sharp eyes finally confirmed that he was in love with Jieun. Not knowing what to say, Baekhyun scoffed and laughed weakly while he let his mind run wild.

"What? Jieun? Please, you make me sick. Why would I like Jieun? Come on, Myungsoo. We all know that Daehyun likes Jieun. If I liked Jieun, why would I support him with her?" Baekhyun blurted.

"Who said that I was talking about our Jieun?" Myungsoo smirked.

It took a few minutes for Baekhyun to realize what he had just said. He bit his tongue until he thought that it had bled with stupidity.

Oh dear.