Stubborn Bride

MARELAND

Chapter 2: Stubborn Bride

Jiyong’s POV

“I won’t go back home.”

As soon as these words left my mouth I came face to face with this elf, again. It was really hard to take my eyes away from him since we met. He is the most beautiful creature I have ever seen in my life. But I have already known in the heart that it is not his beauty or his intense eyes that was driving me to him; there is something more. Something incredibly unusual; a feeling I have never felt in my life and… something frightened.

But the weirdest part was as soon as he came near me I was… shut down. I just lost everything. It was like he was taking all of the air around me making me powerless. He was giving me a big pressure and whenever I tried to use my powers the pressure was growing strong and making me all numb.

Today for the first time I met elves. I knew that they were elves as soon as I saw them. Except from their stunning looks I could feel in my heart that they were elves.

It was actually my dream; I left home to see them. But it was really unexpected to meet them here in Isilnore but it was so exciting. It is not that I admire elves or something; I don’t feel any love against any creature in this world except from my friend Seungri and my Menelin family. Because I know the truth; because I know about the Big War.

I have always known that something was different with me then my powers came alive about a year ago. After this I knew that I just couldn’t spend my time in this mountain house that was isolated from people in Isilnore. 

Books were not enough for me and I had to learn more. I have to know about elves, sorcerers… I had to travel to Calima because I knew that they have the biggest knowledge in Mareland. I have to learn more about the past of Mareland and also… the past of Anarnore… the past of me. So I just left the house even if it was hard to leave my family but I had to do this. I just couldn’t stand and accept my destiny.

It was so strange to meet a group of elves at the first day of my journey. I was even shot by water power; that was beyond my imagination. Elves and their water powers; I was actually not expecting to meet them so soon.

I experienced the most exciting and the same time the most painful thing in my life today. Water power burnt me. The pain was unbearable and it paralyzed me for a while; I felt my body but I couldn’t even move a finger. I was paralyzed from pain but somehow… it felt… nice too? I don’t know. Today many indescribable things happened that made me surprised and excited.

But I knew that it was not a coincidence. I heard what elf and the sorcerer talked. It was easy to understand he was the elf king and they were surely looking for me. An elf king personally was looking for me. That means one thing; they know me, the demon prince.

Then he king smiled at me.

I broke the eye contact and jumped to my feet and run. This was the best thing to do. I don’t want to go home and I even don’t know their real intention to find me and you surely can’t… trust an elf!

Suddenly I felt a strong arm around my waist. I was being held by him, again.

“NO!!!!” I uncontrollably shouted from my lungs loudly.

I started to fight with him but it was useless; he just easily carried me to the spot where I have been before and put me down; not gently this time. I could also hear the sorcerer was ranting; he was not happy the treatment the king showed against me.

I looked at the king’s fierce eyes gritting my teeth ready to run away in anytime. But suddenly I was froze in my spot; he was already formed a water ball in his palm.

“The sorcerer said that you can’t use your powers against me!” I shouted in fear.

I heard them earlier; sorcerer even said that he shouldn’t have touched me.

But my fear seemed to entertain him; he smiled. I hated him for this.

“If you try to run away again I don’t hesitate to use this, your highness,” the king said smirking.

I just wanted to hit his beautiful face right now. How I wish I could use my powers. But it was useless so I didn’t want to live the same pain again. It would be better to listen to them first.

The sorcerer looked at him frowning. It seems like he was trying to control his anger against the king.

“Your majesty, we have already made enough harm against his highness today and we also broke enough rules. So please let’s not use any power on his highness,” said sorcerer glaring against the king.

Water ball was disappeared in his palm suddenly. I was relaxed a little. I looked around; elf soldiers were around me while the king and sorcerer were standing in front of me. Then slowly the sorcerer bowed to me and even if I am still curious about them I bowed back. Then I sat down on my spot again because I am still afraid of this king but at least I should give them a proper greeting since they are older than me and they are the most important people in Calima.

“Your highness, I am Taeyang. I am from Calima. I am sorry for the trouble we have given to you.”

“Don’t call me like this,” I spat at him suddenly. I hated this. I am not a highness.

Taeyang smiled warmly against my rude statement, “I guess you don’t know the truth your highness…” he started but I cut his words.

“I know the truth. But a prince without a kingdom is nothing so don’t call me like that please.”

They both looked at me with wide eyes. I don’t know which part made them surprised. I guess my rudeness. Or maybe they thought that I didn’t know who I am.

King looked at Taeyang like he was asking what was going on and then he looked at me.

“Vanya…” he said in a very low voice, “I am the king of Calima, Seunghyun. I know that our first meet was not perfect but you should know that we are not here to hurt you.”

“Who is Vanya?” I just asked crossing my arms.

Taeyang sat down across me and smiled at me gently, “Vanya is you, your highness. Jaejoong, our Amandil gave your name to us as Vanya.”

What is this? What are they saying? An Amandil? Elf king has an Amandil! I gulped down hard. My heart started to beat faster. It was so unbelievable. That means Aina then sends messages to Mareland! Aina didn’t leave us… And…she chose elves to talk? I realized that slowly I let my guard down a little. Because if they talk to Aina then… They may be the good guys. But I can’t let them know this.

“My name is Jiyong,” I said coldly.

Elf king sat down as well and smiled at me, this time not a smirk but a warm smile. He is too beautiful for sure.

“So… Jiyong then. How far is your home from here?”

“Not so far.”

“But the sun is about the set maybe we should wait for the morning to go, your majesty,” said Taeyang looking at the king… King Seunghyun.

“I can find my way in the dark, too. I know this forest very well,” I said looking at Taeyang.

Seunghyun stood up and extended his hand to me, “This is great, let’s go then.”

I, of course, rejected his hand and stood up by myself and I saw Taeyang glaring at Seunghyun.

“What? Is this a problem too? Offering help to a prince? And for your information, maybe he doesn’t have to hold my hand but he has to ride with me till we reach to the house.”

The almighty elf king spoke again! Argh! He is making me crazy!

The strong elf soldier who I met before the king and the sorcerer came near to us.

“You majesty, if you let me his highness can take my horse.”

“We have to hurry Daesung, this will make us slower.”

“I don’t want any of you to walk because of me,” I suddenly got into the conversation.

This Daesung guy smiled at me. His smile was really heartwarming. He was one of the cutest men I have ever seen.

“It is an honor to walk for his highness,” he said bowing in front me.

I felt like I am as red as a tomato. I bowed back at him, “Please sir Daesung, you really don’t need to do this.”

I got really shy because I really don’t get used to this. These elite and strong elf soldiers and the sorcerer were too kind against me and I did nothing to deserve this. I still couldn’t understand why they were so kind to a demon prince from a fallen kingdom. In the past their kind also killed my people but now… They are treating me like I am important and… special.

I saw Seunghyun already got on to his horse and coming to our way. Suddenly some words that I shouldn’t say escaped from my mouth.

“I wouldn’t mind Seunghyun to walk tough.”

I felt everybody around me froze in their spots. I bet my face became now another shade of red.

“King Seunghyun,” I said quickly.

Before I knew it I was sitting on his horse in front of Seunghyun. I was really shocked; with the blink of an eye he took me to his horse. He was too quick and strong. My heart was still beating really fast because I got scared a little with his sudden movement. And… also being closer to him like this was giving me restless feelings. We were sitting so close since we are sharing one horse; my back was resting on his chest.

Maybe this is because he is an elf and I am a demon. I don’t know but I don’t feel so strange when I am around other elves, only this elf king.

“Your highness, are you okay?”

I turned to look at Taeyang when I heard him asked me. I met with his worried eyes.

“I am okay,” I said loudly despite being not okay.

I was really disturbed with his rude action and he also hurt me while he was taking me to horse but I kept my silence. I don’t want them to see me as a weak kid or something. I have to stand strong against them, especially against this elf king. Because he even was getting joy from my anger.

Taeyang and Daesung were too kind; I have already liked them. I don’t know but I feel in the heart that I can trust them. They also had an Amandil; it is also a sign so that’s why I accepted to take them to my home, to my family. Actually they would all be surprised when they heard the Amandil. I was exciting to say them the news.

“Do they hurt you? Are you suffering because of them?”

I was startled with the king’s thick voice. I opened my mouth to ask “who?” but then I understood what he meant.

“No, my family is always too nice to me.”

“Then why were you running away from home?”

“To see the elves… I mean to go to Calima and learn more about Mareland.”

I felt him smiled even if I didn’t turn to look at him. He was making me crazy again.

“Why can’t I ride with Taeyang or Daesung?” I suddenly asked.

“Because it is forbidden for them to touch you.”

“You are also forbidden to touch me, I heard Taeyang said.”

He openly laughed this time, “You are really full of surprises.”

“You really don’t have much to do but listen to conversation when you were lying paralyzed,” I said in sarcasm.

“About that, I am sorry to hurt you like this.”

He just really apologized from me. There was so sarcasm or anything. Almighty king apologized!

“We have the biggest library in Calima. You can read as much as you want when we back to the castle.”

“We? Who said I am coming with you?”

“You said that you wanted to go to Calima, right?”

“Yes, but I am not coming with you.”      

Seunghyun laughed again, “You will be my bride so you really have to come with us, your highness.”

What is he saying? What is really going on here? I got mad, no I was beyond mad! I will get married to this elf? I would rather die!

I had to go, I really had to go away from these people!

I tried to throw myself from the horse but Seunghyun grabbed me tightly. I started to fight with him but he was so strong. He grabbed both of my wrists and left me motionless. I could hear Taeyang yelling at Seunghyun to stop, they all came around us but everybody were just watching not knowing what to do. They couldn’t understand what was happening.

I finally bit one of his hand because there was nothing I could do better. Suddenly Seunghyun let go of me and I fell from the horse. I looked up at him and he was looking at me with burning eyes. He was really angry as much as me.

“I’M NOBODY’S BRIDE! DON’T YOU EVER TOUCH ME AGAIN!” I yelled at him.

“You arrogant, disrespectful little demon! Behave yourself first!” he yelled back at me.

Taeyang came near me immediately; “Your highness, did you get hurt?” he asked me worriedly then turned his eyes on Seunghyun like asking what happened.

“I am okay,” I murmured.

Then I looked at my aching wrists. I couldn’t see them in the dark but they were aching more than it should be. I guess Taeyang knew something wass wrong so he made a light with his scepter and looked at my wrists as well.

Both of them were really red but I don’t understand why it hurts so badly. My whole body was hurting a little because I fell from the horse but the pain on my wrists were different.

“Let’s take a break here, we can continue in the morning,” said Seunghyun and got off from his horse but he didn’t come too much close to me.

Soldiers immediately started to make preparations for a camp. Daesung brought the cloak I was wearing earlier; I guess I lost it when I fell from the horse.

“If you let me, I would like to make a healing spell on your wrists, your highness,” said Taeyang putting his scepter on a rock to produce us more light. By the way solders also have already started a fire. I was really amazed by elves. They were kind, strong and clever.

I turned to look at Taeyang.

“No it is not necessary, thank you,” I kindly rejected his offer.

I was just hoping to pain would go away soon because it was just a light injury; Seunghyun just held my wrists tightly to prevent me go away. It should be okay soon!

“Your highness, you are injured by an elf. Your wound would not be healing so soon. That’s why I offered you a healing spell.”

I just looked at him in shock. I really didn’t know about this.

“I don’t…. understand,” I just said.

“Demons and elves, if they hurt each other, even if the wound is so small it takes time more than normal to heal and it also hurts more.”

I just nodded and looked at Seunghyun who was now sitting away from us. I can feel his eyes on me as well. I also hurt him; I have just bitten the king. Somehow I felt really embarrassed. I sighed heavily and gave my permission to heal me to Taeyang. I was so lucky that nobody could see how red I am in the dark.

He said that I was his bride? How dare he could claim me as his bride? I just really got angry and I really couldn’t know what to do so I just bite him and tried to run away.

I just wrapped the cloak around myself and watched Taeyang healing the king under the dim light of his scepter.

“What happened back then?” I heard Taeyang asked the king.

I could hear their conversation but I guess they were also not trying to hide it.

“I just have said that he would be my bride.”

“Congratulations my king, it was really good to tell him this directly.”

I smiled to myself. Taeyang being all sarcastic and talking like this with the king, it was fun. They must be really close because Seunghyun seemed that he didn’t mind Taeyang talked to him like that.

“Then why did you let him fall like this? He could get injured seriously!”

“He bit me.”

“As if a bite can beat you!”

“Maybe I just wanted him to fall.”

“How come you can be so reckless?”

“Since he can be so disrespectful!”

“He is way too young and he doesn’t know the whole story yet. It is not a good to time behave him now.”

As much as I am afraid from Seunghyun he makes me angry at the same time. Maybe I am disrespectful but he is not so nice either! Things were getting complicated and I was getting really nervous especially after hearing this bride thing.

Suddenly we heard a yell and jumped to our feet and then I recognized the voice. I run to the voice fastly. Then I immediately felt Seunghyun’s presence behind my back. He was really like a shadow of me.

Then I saw them. Daesung was pointing his sword to my frightened friend.

“Seungri!” I yelled and threw myself in front of Daesung’s sword.