Part 6

You're... My Destiny?

          Effie could not sleep well that night. She was busy with her feelings. She didn’t know if she should be happy, angry or scared. She was happy because she still loved Eli and she was angry that her mother planned it all without her knowledge. It made her feel treated as a child. I'm able to find my future husband alone! she thought irritably. However, when she was talking to her mother, she did not want to look like a reject or accept their arranged marriage. She was too shocked. Then, she was afraid because, if indeed she will soon be married to Eli, her career will be threatened and the agency still banned all members of C-REAL for dating, let alone married. What bad thing will happen to me if my agency know about this? And how would our fans be?

            "Argh!" Effie moaned loud enough for a headache thinking about it. She stared at the ceiling with a puzzled face. Does Eli oppa already know about this? she thought. At dinner he said he does not know who is his future wife. Though his future wife is me, the girl who sat in front of him! Or was he just pretending? Aish, it's not possible! Eli oppa looked very seriously at all. How could he joked.

            Effie's eyes then fell on her cell phone that was on the table, which is located not far from where she lay. After considering what she would do, Effie took the phone and start typing a short message to Eli.

 

                            To: Eli oppa

            Do you already know this? You already know who is your future wife?

 

            After sending the message, Effie’s heart still felt uneasy about waiting for a reply from him. One minute... five minutes... twenty-five minutes... the awaited reply message not being received. Aish, what's wrong with you, oppa yah? Why did not you reply to my message?! Her heart was getting annoyed. She waited and waited until she fell asleep with annoyed face.

 

***

 

            It was almost twelve o'clock when Eli entered his apartment. Mom is already sleeping right now! he guessed. He walked to the refrigerator and took a bottle of mineral water. Slowly he started to drink the water. Suddenly, he remembered his cell phone was vibrating when he was in Kevin's apartment. He immediately took his cell phone that was in his coat pocket. 1 new message. His brow furrowed when he saw the name as a sender name. Why was she sending me a message? He thought confused. However, he was also happy because Effie still kept his cell phone number eventhough they had no contact each other ever since he ended their relationship. Eli started reading the message.

 

                            From: Effie my Jihoon

            Do you already know this? You already know who your future wife?

 

            Eli wrinkled his forehead. Why would she ask me that? Is she also curious about my future wife? Without much thought again, he quickly replied to the message.

 

                            To: Effie my Jihoon

            Know what? I still dont know who’s my future wife. My mother has not told me about it. Why?

 

            Eli waited a while for a reply message from Effie, but five minutes later he decided to go to bed. He was very sure that Effie had fallen asleep at the time.

 

***

 

            "What?! My bride is Lee Ji Hoon?! Effie Lee?! A member of C-REAL?!" Eli half-shouted. Of course he was shocked when she told about it the next day while they were eating breakfast. "Mom, you're lying, right?"

            "Ya! What's wrong with you? Why do you always say that I lied to you? Does my face look like that?!" asked Mrs. Kim upset.

            "No..." Eli’s heartbeat suddenly beat faster. Ya! What's wrong with me? "This news really surprised me, Mom. I didn’t ever expect it," he replied softly. "Then, did Effie already know that she is my future wife?"

            Mrs. Kim shook her head. "You two did not know about it. Me and her mother agreed to notify you after you meet. Incidentally, I have time, so I can tell you now," she said. Then, she smiled knowingly at her son. "You will marry her?"

            Eli's face reddened and he immediately started acting strange. "W-what do you mean, Mom?"

            "Ya! You know what I mean, dear! I know you love her. Looks like she also likes you. Wait what? I want you to get married."

            "Mom..." Eli cut with a petulant tone. "Effie is an artist. It’s not easy to marry her. Not to mention that, for example, her agency forbid her to date," he said. "After all, she is young, Mom."

            "She's just three years younger than you!" Mrs. Kim insisted. "I don’t want to know! I just want her to be my daughter in-law. I don’t want anyone else, dear."

            "Mom..."

            "I beg you to consider first. You also like her, right?"

            Eli was silent at the question. Like her? I still love her! But... does Effie still like me? Love me? Moreover, I decided to split our relationship. I will not be that easy to get her back, Mom... it’s not that easy...

 

***

 

            "Effie eonni...Effie eonni... wake up, eonni yah..."

            Effie finally awoke after her body repeatedly shaken by Ann J. She wiped her face with her hands, then looked at Ann J with tired eyes. "What is it, Ann J yah? If nothing important, I want to sleep again."

            "Yaaa... you don’t hear the sound of your cell phone’s ringtone?" Chemi asked in a voice that sounded annoyed. She could not get back to sleep after the first ring of the ringtone is played.

            Effie immediately took her cell phone out of the bag. Just as she was about to answer that call, the ringtone stop ringing. She was upset.

            "Someone out there will call you again," said Redee. "Just look at how many missed calls that you get now."

            "Yes, eonni. That person continued to call even though you did not answer the call," said Lenny.

            Shortly thereafter, the ringtone was ringing again. Effie answered it quickly without seeing the name of the caller first. "Hello."

            "YA! Why did you just answer the phone now?!" someone muttered on the other side. Shocking Effie. She knew exactly who was the caller.

            "Oh, you, oppa. I'm sorry, I was sleeping," she admitted. "Why do you call me?"

            "Can we meet today? There's something I want to talk to you."

            "I'm very busy today, oppa. I’m heading to the show now. I'm sorry."

            "So, when do you have time to see me?"

            Effie was silent, thinking. "The day after tomorrow? I still have some things to do on  tomorrow. How’s it?" she said. "Why don’t you say it right now?"

            "I can’t say it like this, Effie yah. We have to meet. You know... about... our arranged marriage..."

            Effie’s heart beat faster and her face flushed. She could feel her body warmed up. "Y-you... already know?"

            "Yes, my mother had told me about it this morning," he replied. "Well, we met on the day after tomorrow, ok?"

            Effie agreed. After putting her phone back into her bag, she looked at her friends who also looked at her with suspicion look. Their attitude certainly made her uncomfortable. "W-why are you looking at me like that?" she asked.

            "Who called you?" asked Chemi to the point.

            "Why?"

            "You called him 'oppa', right? Who is he?"

            "Your boyfriend?" guessed Redee.

            "Ya! There is nothing important about who he is, right?" said Effie tried to divert the topic. She really did not want to tell them who he was.

            "No, but your face turned very serious when you talk to him. What happened?"

            "Yes, eonni... let us know..." pleaded Ann J.

            "Yeah, eonni... come on..." said Lenny.

            Finally after a long persuaded, Effie willing to answer it. "The person who called me was... Eli oppa..."

            "HAH?!"

            Effie had guessed they would be surprised like that and it made her feel uncomfortable. "Well... no need to be surprised like that, right?"

            "Bu-but... Eli oppa?" Ann J asked.

            "U-KISS’s member?" said Redee.

            "Your ex-boyfriend, right?" Chemi asked in a hushed voice. With them, there were their manager and a staff member in charge of driving the car they were riding in. Of course that two people should not know.

            Effie nodded weakly.

            "You meet him again? Waaa... eonni, come on, tell us how did you meet him?" asked Lenny who made the three other girls became to persuade her.

            Effie just bit her lower lip, confused. Should I tell you now?

 

***

-To Be Continued-