Infinity Challenge Idol Special!

I Like You!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 4: INFINITY CHALLLENGE

 

 

Rio had just arrived at the MBC studio for Infinity Challenge. She fiddled with the straps of her jumper shorts and started to survey the room full of idols. She never knew she could feel so small in a sea of people. She felt so out of place. Everybody was with their members as they waited for the program to start. Who did she even know here? Wait…

Rio’s POV

WHY AM I EVEN HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! I sigh the quietest sigh I ever made in my life. I look back to the event at the YG building a week ago.

President Yang gathered the entire family and decided that the company was being too “elitist” and exclusive so he said,

“Mmm, why not let our artists participate in variety shows?” He paused as he scanned the room, looking at all our faces. He sighed. “Big Bang, 2ne1, Psy, Lee Hi, Gummy, Epik High, Se7en, Rio…” He nodded his head as if realizing something. “Big Bang, you guys can’t go on that much right now. We have to prevent you guys from looking like sell outs specially since you’re at the peaks of your career-- Seungri, you talk too much—if you appear alone you might cry again like what you did in Pattaya,” Seunghyun oppa’s eyes twitched and looked like he had a smart retort, JiYong oppa was laughing openly and the room erupted in a mix of “Aww’s!” and “Haha’s!”. I remembered that one. A group of idols, including Seungri oppa, went to Jeju island and once the program had ended and they were all saying their thanks, he cried when he mentioned how he would like for Big Bang to come together on a variety show like it. I remember tearing up a bit since he seemed really lonely and troubled.

Before anyone could reply, President spoke again. “Ahh, Rio,” He called to me and I froze. The family all looked at me, the Big Bang oppas and 2ne1 sunbaes looked over at me worriedly and Ha Yi (Lee Hi) looked shocked beside me.

“Ye-yes, sajangnim?” I answered quite nervously. Please don’t pick me! I only debuted two weeks ago! Please please…

“We received a call from an MBC producer about appearing on Infinity Challenge. What do you think?” He smiled a little bit fatherly at me, but for all I know, he could be testing me right this moment.

“Eh?” I answered nervously again and cleared my throat. “Ahh, I think it’s a good show” I pause to think for a while and hold up both my thumbs, “The best!!!”

The room roared in laughter and I hung my head in shame. I looked at President Yang, hoping I had successfully evaded the question.

“It is.” He chuckled. “Would you like to go on? They’ve requested for a promoting YG artist to go.” He paused, just when I was about to raise my concerns, he continued. “It’s a good first variety program for you. Like a debut stage.” He cleared his throat when he saw that I was still hesitant about going alone. “It’s an idol special. Other idols are going.”

I don’t know if he saw, but that statement made my eyes twitch a bit. Did he think I would love to go once I found out that idols were going? Well… Yes… But firstly, idols? I don’t know anyone… Second… Idols? I might even be embarrassed and too unprepared compared to the other experienced idols. How am I supposed to rank with them? I’m a newbie without experience!! Third… I don’t know what to feel about being labeled an idol…

“What do you all think?”

I looked at Jiyong oppa with pleading eyes. Help me! I don’t wanna go. I tried signal with my eyes and shook my head a bit but I knew I was doomed as soon as I saw his lips form a sly smile.

“That’s a good idea!” He said as he sat up from his chair, sat on the floor beside me and slung his arm over my slumped shoulders. “You’ll get to know other idols, make some friends.” I sighed and glared at him.

“We’re never actually the best agency when it comes to variety… So try hard, but not too much.” President Yang reminded me, I nodded.

“Just enjoy the show!” Chaerin unnie smiled at me. I looked at her.

“Why can’t unnie come with me?”

“Ya! I’m preparing for my album. I can’t afford to go to variety shows.” She laughed, wiggling her brows at me.

I pouted exaggeratedly. “Unnie, you’re the baddest female.” The crew enjoyed my reference. Oh that’s good, at least they’re enjoying my apparent agony.

“Just be yourself. You’ll do fine and get a lot of airtime.” Dara unnie said and I looked at her and Minzy. “Laugh a lot so you get airtime too!” She chuckled.

“Unnie, don’t forget look pretty.” Minzy called told me.

My face fell at her advice. “Easy for you to say, you’re pretty.” I whined and they all came to circle me.

“Ya!! Where’s your rookie spirit!” Jiyong oppa pushed me away gently—well, kind of gently. I stumbled a bit before standing straight and bowing at them.

“Ne! I will try my absolutely hardest!! But not too much.” I peeked at President Yang and he gave me chuckle. I grinned at him.

“Rio, fighting!” They cheered and I suddenly feel more confident about going on Infinity Challenge.

--

Yes, I felt more confident… Until now. Why couldn’t they put me in a girl group? I looked up and saw Yoo Jaesuk ajusshi approaching me. I panicked a bit. He’s the National MC, I think my nervousness is justified? I’m also a little star struck so I in my breath and smiled at him.

“Annyeong, Rio-ssi! Welcome to Infinity Challenge!” He smiled goofily at me while extending his hand. I instantly relaxed seeing his face and hearing his warm greeting. I bowed and extended my hand to shake his.

“Thank you so much, Yoo-Jaesuk ajusshi!” I said with a big smile.

“You came alone right?” He asked and I nodded.

“Ne. It’s a bit lonely.” I commented while smiling sheepishly at him.

“Kwenchanaaa!” Park Myungsoo ajusshi’s voice echoed across the studio. He laughed in syllables victoriously, as in the “Ha-ha-ha!!!” type of laugh and I froze a bit before laughing at him. It was contagious.

“You’ll sit beside oppa!!!” He suggested as he came close to us. “Your Jiyong oppa and I are quite close! Although he doesn’t respond to my text messages sometimes…”

“Yes… oppa?” I chuckled a bit, unsure what to call the man more than 30 years older than me.

“What oppa?!” Jaesuk ajusshi looked at him and me incredulously. “You called me ajusshi and he’s oppa to you?”

“Ah, Myungsoo-hal-abeoji??!” I instantly amended and Jaesuk ajusshi burst out laughing while Myungsoo ajusshi looked at me disbelievingly. “Ahh!! Sorry! What should I do?” I laughed hysterically and they patted my head and back endearingly.

“Aigoo.” Jaesuk ajusshi started, catching his breath. “You’ll do fine, don’t be nervous okay?”

Myungsoo ajusshi came nearer and shook his head. “Just call me oppa, oppa!”

“Hmm, how about sam-chon (uncle)?” His smile widened.

“Ahh, that sound nicer.” He said. “Good, call me that, okay? If you don’t want to embarrass samchon, don’t call me hal-abeoji!” He chided and I laughed aloud. Definitely more comfortable now than I had been when I arrived.

“Arraseo, samchonim.” I said lovingly and he smiled and excused himself. My name was on the space at the 5th column of the first row. I bet Yang Sajangnim left a note to take care of me since I was in the first row… I’m thankful for it but I felt bad for the idols who were at the back. The 2ne1 unnies were telling me that the ones at the back of the farthest side were the ones without much screen time. I shook my head and read the name plates beside me. Ahh, I was seated beside Noh HongChul-sshi and Haha-sshi. Behind me? Secret sunbaenims…

Honestly. I think I’m in for a surprise today. My manager, manager Kim, didn’t even tell me which idol groups were going… I craned my neck to check which groups were here. I couldn’t see the names well because my eyesight’s kind of bad even with the contact lenses. I gave up and contentedly surveyed the room again. I saw Girl’s Day enter the studio and they were directed to the third column. I bowed when they came nearer. They smiled slightly and bowed to me.

After a few minutes of waiting, I felt like getting rid of my nerves—I have to pee. I stood up and went to the washroom, but as soon as I came back, the idols were already seated. I gulped. I wasn’t the only one not seated though. The chairs behind Haha-sshi and Hongchul-sshi were empty as well.

I walked to my spot as comfortably as I could and bowed at the Secret sunbaenims behind me. “Annyeong-haseyo.” I greeted and they smiled at me.

“Annyeong.” They tried to stand up but I held my hands up and shook my head.

“Ah, Sunbae. Please don’t inconvenience yourselves.” I smiled apologetically and bowed once more before sitting down.

After a while, SHINee came and G.Na-sshi followed suit. There was a man

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter