Whirlwind of Media

I Like You!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 12: Whirlwind of Media

Rio sat opposite Manager Kim who proudly read the newest article out loud to everyone in the training room.

---

DISPATCH / ALLKPOP

Exclusive news: Rio to take on Lead Role in new drama with IDOL cast!

Power rookie and fast rising hallyu star, Rio is making headlines again as her performance is highly anticipated in a new drama with an extreme idol cast! According to a YG Entertainment representative, Rio has been invited to take on the lead role which more than 100 applicants that included actresses, idols, models and new comers have taken an interest in. Rumoured auditionees and considered leads are Kara’s Goo Hara, Go Ara, IU, A Pink members Jung Eunji and Son Naeun, T-Ara Members Ham Eunjung and Jiyeon.

She will be acting alongside confirmed idols EXO’s Chen, Kai and Chanyeol, Teen Top’s L Joe, Beast’s Doojoon, Got7’s JB, IU, Juniel, CN Blue’s Jonghyun, Sistar’s BORA, JYJ’s Jaejoong, Ailee, F(x)’s Luna and Krystal, SUJU M’s Henry, BtoB’s Minhyuk and T-Ara’s Jiyeon, A Pink’s Eunji and Block B’s JaeHyo, Younha, and Shinee’s MinHo.

Summary: Teenager Lee Saeri was called a “waste of space”, an unwanted child and a girl with no future until she gets discovered by Korea’s top modelling agency’s president and top bachelor Cho Lee Shin in the streets of Gangnam, standing out because of her height and her unusual beauty that shone despite her unkempt appearance. He signs her into his company and is guided by a handsome manager, Cho Kyung Shik ,who also manages top teen idol singers Hanna and hallyu band Crimson. The story follows her journey in love, rivalry, fame and success as she meets new friends and enemies.

---

Seungri, who happened to be looking for ways to spend his time in between Big Bang's activities, had been listening from start to finish. He clapped excitedly once Manager Kim finished.

“Good job, my Rio~” He said as he hooked his arm on her neck and hugged her chokingly.

“Thanks, oppa.” She chuckled as she broke away from him. The rest of her back up dancers, stylists and choreographers congratulated her as well.

“So you’re a model here, not a singer?” One of the Kwon twins asked and she nodded her head.

“Well, that’s what they said for me to audition for—but the actors are still going to audition tomorrow to determine who they’ll play. Aside from guest appearances and cameos, I’ve never really had enough experience acting so I hope you guys will give me feedback!” She said and bowed. They crowded around her and assured her of their support.

‘Looks like it’ll turn out okay afterall.’ Rio smiled to herself.

---

‘NO! It’s not okay!!!’ Rio found herself eating her words from the previous day. It was the day of the auditions and she was nervous. The atmosphere was really intense. She didn’t know if the idols were quiet because they were nervous, or competitive, or sleepy, but everyone was just staring down at their scripts with shoulders hunched up in tension.

“Everyone’s preparing themselves. It’s tough being an idol and then acting so suddenly, so most of us want a good impression.” Chen offered. Beside him, Kai was looking at her as well.

“Am I that transparent?” She chuckled. Both EXO members grinned at her. “Annyeong, sunbae. I’m Rio.”

“I know.” Chen smiled kindly at her. He looked like he was thinking if it was a good idea to suddenly just speak to her. “I’m Chen from EXO.”

“I know. And Kai-ssi too.” She grinned. “This is all very new to me.” She chuckled. “The atmosphere is so stiff.” Just then, Chanyeol came up to them, sat beside Kai and leaned in to listen to the conversation.

“The selection process is weird too, the roles aren’t fixed yet and today will be the day they’ll be determining who will play who, so everyone’s just in the zone.” Kai added, his voice in a hushed tone. She nodded. Prior to this, they all went through 2 auditions and were all signed to play fixed roles in the drama.

Once again, she looked at the actors in the room: Kai, Chanyeol, Chen, L Joe, Doojoon, JB, IU, Juniel, Jonghyun, Bora, Jaejoong, Ailee, Luna and Krystal, Henry, Minhyuk, Jiyeon, Eunji, JaeHyo, Younha, and Shinee’s MinHo.

Everyone seemed stronger and more experienced than she was. She couldn’t wrap her head around who will get the lead role and why she was called back when IU, Eunji and Krystal, all idols who have already played lead roles, were there. Why would they risk their status for an idol-filled drama? She shrugged and focused on the script.

After a few more minutes, they were asked to fall in line according to gender and read for the roles they wanted to get. As expected, IU, Krystal and Jiyeon all auditioned for the role of the lead, Lee Saeri. Rio felt her limbs go numb. They were all so good. ‘Would it be weird if I auditioned for that role too?’She looked at the role Eunji auditioned for, wondering why she didn’t audition for the lead. She nodded her head. ‘Well, it’s a strong character that suits her well.’

She gulped and went forward once the director and the producers called her name. ‘Deep breath, Rio, deep deeeeep breath. Let’s hope your acting classes with both Seunghyun oppas work like a charm!’

---

Everybody rushed out of the audition room. They were all asked to wait for a day before they get the role notices from their managers. Before they were all released, the idols had nervously laughed at some random jokes and groaned at the announcement.

Jiyeon ran past Rio and to IU, bumping the rookie unknowingly.

“Jieun-ah!” The pretty girl called. “Nevermind that I don’t get the role, I think you’re gonna get it.” She chuckled.

“You both did well, so don’t worry about it.” Bora patted their backs. Soon, the rest of the idols and staff gathered around IU and Jiyeon, some bumped into Rio in the process.

Rio nodded to herself as she sighed. ‘Well, there’s always a next time, rookie.’ She smiled.

---

A dark, gloomy aura surrounded the convenience store in front of the YG building.

 “Torture.” Rio sighed as she put down the energy drink she was holding. Manager Kim sat down with his cup of ramen. “It’s been a day--”

“It’s only been 23 hours, be patient~” He teased. “I didn’t see your audition, but I bet you did well.” He smiled, hoping to comfort her.

“Manager-niiim, did you know, IU, Jiyeon, Krystal, Luna, Ailee, Juniel, Bora, Amber, and Eunji were there too? How could I, a newbie, beat them, huuuh?!?!” She groaned in frustration. Just then, manager Kim’s phone rang. Her ears perked up. He jumped and showed her the caller id. “Answer it, hurry!” She jumped in a mix of excitement and nervousness.

“Yeoboseo?” He answered. “Ah, yes! Hello! This is Rio’s manager, yes. Yes.” He paused as his eyes darted nervously at her. “Really?” Her eyes widened.

“Put it on speaker~” She motioned for him to follow her.

“W-wae? N-no, it’s fine. Ahh, I see. Is that so? No, no. Of course we are fine with it. Yes. Yes, she is with me right now. No, she might not be expecting such a decision. No, it’s just very unexpected, it’s just—yes. Ahh, yes. Thank you very much, sir. Yes. We will work hard. Thank you!” He sighed as he put his phone down.

“W-why? Why are you like that?” She bit her lip. He sighed louder this time. “AHH!!! PLEASE TELL ME~” Everyone in the streets paused and she bowed her head. “Sorry~ Emergency. Hehe” She smiled sheepishly.

“Rio-ya, don’t feel burdened, don’t be nervous, don’t be sad, don’t—“ She shook his shoulders.

“Go on already!”

“—Don’t be surprised!” She held his hand.

“Manager-nim, if you don’t hurry up, I might just break your hand…”

He gulped and then smiled widely, “You got the role!!!”

“Which role?!” Rio asked as the bottle she was holding almost broke. Manager Kim rolled his eyes.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Lee Saeri!!!” He smiled and held his hands up for her to high five him. Her eyes widened again.

“M-m-me?!” She paused, letting the news sink in. “Why me? What happened to IU, Jiyeon—“

“Yah! They asked you to audition for that role for a reason! You’re fresh, new, tall, pretty, talented and most of all---“

“???”

“—Apparently, a good actress!” He cheered.

“Manager-nim!!!” She threw her hands up in celebration. “Banzai! Banzai!” She cheered but suddenly stopped. “So—I got the role?” She asked again and he nodded his head excitedly. “I… got the role.” She paused again, this time, accompanied with a sinking feeling. “Oh no…”

---

Rio bowed multiple times at various people before she sat beside Chanyeol. Both Chanyeol and Chen had smiled at her when she entered the room. Everyone was finally conversing with each other.

“Where’s Kai-ssi?” She asked him.

“Here.” A deep voice answered accompanied by the sound of a chair being pulled out. She turned to him and immediately stood up.

“Oh, sorry, did I take your seat?” She asked and tried to switch with him. He shook his head.

“Ani, you can sit between hyung and I.” He smiled and she thanked him.

“Alright,” The director called to them as he sat at the head of the long table. “Before we introduce each other, I want to welcome everyone on our first day of script reading!” They cheered. “Everybody has gathered and I am glad to see you all accept the roles graciously. Unfortunately, IU has pulled out of the project due to a conflict of interest and schedule, she sends her best regards and even though we’ve lost one of our leads, I hope we can all work hard with a cheery and positive attitude. Replacing IU’s role as Hana is Krystal.” The cast cheered again. “This is the first time I’ll be working with an big cast of idols, so please take care of me and be patient.” He chuckled. “Let’s start with the people in the Lee family—“

Cast:

Lee Saeri: Rio

Lee Shun (Saeri’s brother): Henry

Lee Yeri (Saeri’s older sister and a vocal trainer at GN Ent): Younha

Junhee and Eunkyoo (Saeri’s best friends): Juniel and Eunji

Crimson: Kai, Jonghyun, JB, L Joe, Minhyuk

Kim Chansung (Saeri’s highschool crush and idol trainee): Chanyeol

Cho KyungShik (Manager): Shinee’s Minho

Cho Lee Shin (CEO of SK Ent): Jaejoong

Jaehyun (SK Ent’s top male model): Jaehyo

Hana (SK Ent’s top Idol/singer): Krystal

Dongwan (Dance trainer and Lee Saeri’s cousin): Doojoon

Boyeon (Lee Saeri’s make up artist and friend): Sistar’s Bora

Queens (Female vocal group): Ailee, Luna

Jisung (Kai’s model girlfriend): Jiyeon

“Good, now, please sit according to: Lee Family, Cho Family, Crimson, singers, models, students, staff.” Everybody shuffled and immediately found their places. Rio sat between Younha and Henry; Minho with Jaejoong; Kai, Jonghyun, JB, L Joe, Minhyuk together; Ailee with Luna, Jiyeon, and Krystal; Jaehyo sat alone; Eunji, Juniel and Chanyeol; Doojon with Bora. “Now, take some time to get to know each other awkwardly and then we’ll start with the first episode. I’ll give you all an awkward 5 minutes!” He said and everyone, as expected, awkwardly shifted in his or her seats. The less they knew each other, the more awkward each group got.

Rio smiled sheepishly and looked at Younha and Henry, “Hello, siblings~” She called out shyly which resulted to both laughing at the awkwardness.

“Did you have a hard time going inside the building?” Younha asked. Rio sighed then nodded, she was glad they had some interaction before this. She had guested in Younha's radio show when she was promoting 'Waiting'.

“Very.” She had shivers just thinking about her earlier experience.

----- (Flashback)

Rio could feel the heavy and cold stares of some fans gathered outside.

Manager Kim held on to her elbow and patted her on her back. “Himnae.” He said and she nodded. They both walked to the building. The fans weren’t hers—they crowded around the entrance of the building and talked so heatedly about her.

‘WHY IS A NEWBIE PLAYING THE LEAD?’

‘SHE’S FROM YG SO SHE GETS THE LEAD ROLE?!’

‘It should’ve been someone with more experience!’

‘IU unnie shouldn’t be a supporting role!’

‘We should throw eggs at her next time’ She winced at that.

‘Eggs? Ya! Make it rocks!’

‘She has a nice voice, she should just stick to singing.’

‘I’m cringing just imaging her acting!’

‘It’s the work of YG.’

-- (End of flashback)

“It’s alright, I’m sure you’ll win them over soon.” Henry smiled. Rio gave a weak smile and the two older singers warily looked at each other.

"Thanks, Henry sunbae." Henry had a look of surprise on his face.

"Yah, call me oppa!"

----

Rio, when are you going to reply to me? (Sent 5 minutes ago)

It was typed in Japanese and she bit her lip as she stared at her phone. “Sorry.” She murmured to no one in particular. It had been his 8th text that month and Rio could barely keep herself from replying. She scrolled up the rest of the text messages.

I hope we can meet soon; I will be going to Korea next week. I’ll bring flowers so prepare a vase ;) (Sent 2 days ago)

Am I annoying? I just miss you. (Sent 5 days ago)

I hope you’re doing fine in Korea. (Sent 5 days ago)

I just remembered you’re not in Japan right now. -.- (Sent 7 days ago)

There’s a storm coming, be safe! (Sent 7 days ago)

HEEEEY! I know this is still your number, you know. I can also see you’ve read this. Hmph!

Rio! Heard you were in Korea. Will be coming to Korea soon. Hoping to see you. Until then! Take care.  (Sent 2 weeks ago)

A tall glass of caramel Frappuccino was set in front of her. “Stop looking so glum, pabo-ya.” Rio looked up with a glare.

“Minah, script reading was horrible.”

"How so?" Minah asked, sitting down and sipping from her own frappe.

“I sounded like such a robot, I won’t blame any of the cast if they wanted to quit this early on.” She caught her friend's roll her eyes but decided to just take a sip of her frappe than to continue.

Minah didn’t know what to do with her friend. “Yah, that’s just script reading.” When Rio didn’t seem to budge, she noticed the phone in her hands and seized it, taking note of how big Rio’s eyes had gotten.

“Don’t panic.” Minah teased as she ran to the washroom, leaving her bag on the table.

“Yah! Bang Minah—“ Rio stood up and chased after her. “Don’t you dare—“

Minah had locked herself in a cubicle with Rio knocking and laughing. “BANG MINAH!!!” She screeched but didn’t work because Minah still found it adorable and non-threatening. Feeling safe from Rio’s long arms and supposedly threatening glare, she focused on the phone in her hands, making sure to key in the correct password: 1234567809. With the distinct unlocking sound, Rio panicked.

“Minah ya~” She pleaded. “If you do this, our friendship will be over.”

“Shh!” Minah giggled. “What’s there to hide?”

Minah’s eyes quickly flew to the big phone screen. “Ya, it’s a good thing I can read Japanese!”

Rio stilled as Minah read the text messages from an unsaved number. “Rio,” She paused. “This is—“

Minah pushed the bathroom stall wide open, with gleaming eyes. “WHO ARE YOU DATING?!”

Rio groaned as she pulled her hair in frustration. “More like avoiding.”

“Avoiding because you are dating?”

“Avoiding because we were dating.” Minah’s mouth formed into an ‘O’ and she nodded her head.

“Who is this? Someone I know? Someone we know? Someone famous?”

Rio gave in. She knew Minah would badger her no matter how hard she refused. “Someone famous—in Japan, I guess.”

Minah leaned against the sink. “Okaaay, so you’re still clearly affected. What happened between you two?”

“It’s a long story, Minah.” She smiled. “We dated, kept it a secret, and now we’re not dating.”

Minah nodded. “So he’s a singer too?” Rio bit her lip. This is where it got quite complicated. “She’s a singer?” Rio slapped her arm painfully. “YA! I was only joking.”

“So he’s an actor?” She seemed to think for a bit before continuing but Minah groaned. “Alright, forget it. Tell me when you're ready to tell me. Let’s focus on sulking because of your drama.”

"Thanks, chinggu!" Rio smiled and hugged her suffocatingly.

 

---  “Dazzling Days” Filming Day 1 -- 

The filming set was busy. The crew was rushing to set everything up so they could start the day while the actors were being made up and fussed around.

“Are you excited?” Gdragon asked as Rio put on her cap and dirtied clothes. They were standing in a far corner of the room but a lot of the staff and actors still noticed them—particularly because Gdragon had showed up 10 minutes before the start of the shooting. She nodded. Her eyes scanned the set again, eventually fell on the ground.

She shakily breathed out, “Do I look okay, hyung?”

“You look pretty even with that, kiddo!” CL said as she patted her shoulders. She appreciated that CL had dropped by amidst her US debut preparations to support her.

 “I’m nervous, unnie!” She sighed. “I might fail.”

“Ya, don’t be a wuss and buck up!” Gdragon said as he held her face in his palms. She chuckled.

“I’m not, hyung! I’m just really—reaaally nervous!” She said through puffed cheeks.

The director had called her and she bowed to her two sunbaes and ran to the cast.

---

Rio read the script again and again until she memorized it. After G-dragon and CL had left, she was ushered to her make up and waiting room. The set was still being cleaned up, so they

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter