New Friends and Cold Reunions

{HIATUS} Through My Lens
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*In this chapter English will be written in green and Chinese will be written in red ^^*

After that rather nostalgic, yet shocking moment on the steps of the school, I remember that class was about to start, so I run to the school’s main office to get my schedule. After taking some wrong turns and back tracking a little, I manage to reach the main office with ten minutes to spare. I walk up to the front desk and see an old lady wearing sophisticate glasses sitting in front of the computer and typing away at her keyboard.

“Annyeonghaseyo my name is Min Ailee. I’m the new transfer student from Canada.” I say politely while smiling and slightly bowing.

The lady stops typing and looks up at me over the desk counter. I can tell that she’s surprised that my Korean is perfect, but I’m used to that reaction after I tell people that I’m Canadian.

“Ahh~~ I see…..So you’re the new Canadian student I’ve been hearing about. We don’t get many foreign transfers here, so you're quite the celebrity here already. Just give me a second to print out your schedule for you Ailee-shi.” She says while plastering a smile onto her face.

I nod and wait by the desk while the secretary prints out my schedule. She hands me my schedule and a map of the school. I looked down at my schedule and studied the list of classes I would be taking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Min Ailee                                                                                 Year 3

Student ID #: 05693                                                                Division: Creative Arts

1st period (rm.105) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ English

2nd period (Practice Room B) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Dance

3rd period (rm. 116) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Photography

4th period (rm. 207) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Math

5th period (café) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Lunch

6th period (Music Room A) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Music/Singing

7th period (rm. 200) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Science

8th period (rm. 120) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Art

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmmm.....my classes aren't too bad actually. English would obviously be a piece of cake, my math and science skills aren't too shabby, and I love art and photography. The classes I would be dreading the most would probably be dance and music. I never really had much experience in dance unless you count a year of ballet and jazz classes that I took......when I was eight. As for music, I know how to play the piano (thanks umma for putting me into those dreadful lessons for 4 years),but my singing skills have never progressed much outside of the shower and my bedroom.

The secretary takes a red pen and marks where all my classes are on the map that she gave me. Then she highlights the best routes to take to get to all of my classes.

"Okay so to get to room 105 you go down this hallway and make a left. You should walk past some staircases and make a right. The class room should be the second door on your right." she says while tracing the route on the map with her finger.

I nod and follow along on the map while she tells me the directions. She writes a late pass for me, so I won't get reprimanded for being late to class. I grab my bag and turn towards the secretary.

"Khamsamnida ahjumma." I say politely as I was about to leave the office.

The secretary smiles and bows her head in acknowledgement.

"Good luck Ailee-shi and welcome to Seoul Arts High school." she says with a sincere and warm smile on her face.

I smile and wave goodbye as I take long strides down the hallway to attempt to make it to my class on time. The bell rings signaling that classes are in session, and I quicken my pace. I follow the secretary's exact directions and make a left at the end of the hallway. My boots tap loudly against the white hallway floor tiles and the sound echoes through the pretty much deserted hallway.

 I walk past a large staircase and continue walking until I see another hallway on my right. I turn right and walk down a hallway with many clear windows and classroom doors. The classrooms I passed were filled with at least 25 students each. I keep walking down the hallway and stop in front of room 105.

*Okay Ailee pull yourself together you can do this.*

I exhale slowly before twisting the doorknob and entering the classroom. The class had about 27 students, and their desks were arranged in pairs of two. There was a large white board that spans across the front wall of the classroom. The floor was made of white speckled tiles and was as shiny and new as everything else I've seen in the building. 

                                                

(like this but with a white tiled floor ^^)

I could tell that the teacher was a waegukin (a.n waegukin is a term in Korea that is used to describe foreigners ^^). She had natural caramel colored hair which was waved and fell just past her shoulders. Her facial features were well defined and her eyes were a hazel color. In short.....she's kind of a knock out.

She looks up from the papers she's reading as I walk towards her desk. I show her my late pass and explain that I'm the new transfer student from Canada. She smiles and nods in recognition after I introduce myself. She introduces herself as Ms. Anderson and stands up to get the class' attention.

"Class, there will be a new student joining us today. Please treat her nicely everyone. Why don’t you introduce yourself Ailee?" she says while smiling at me brightly.

I felt 27 pairs of eyes staring at me as they try to size me up from my appearance only.

*Pfff those idiots*

I stood in front of the white board and began introducing myself.

"Hello my name is Min Ailee. Please take care of me in the future." I say with my perfect English speaking abilities.

Mouths drop as students gape at my perfect pronunciation. My lips curve up as a slight smile makes its way on to my face. I guess I’ll introduce myself in Chinese for the fun of it.

"大家好! 我的名字是敏愛利 (Hello everyone! My name is Min Ailee.)” I say with my fluent Chinese tongue.

More mouths drop as most of them probably recognized Chinese, but didn’t know how to personally speak it. Finally I introduce myself in Korean.

“Annyeonghase

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter