Playground

My Best Friend

“Hey wanna go to the playground?”

Myungsoo’s sudden appearance in the room shocked me.

“Yah! You don’t enter a girl’s room without her permission!” I shrieked.

“It’s not like you’re changing or what!” he rebutted.

I shot him a look and he smirked proudly at his “victory”.

“Hey back to my question, wanna go to the playground?”

“What’s with the sudden request?”

“I need to relieve some stress, training is too tiring.”

Well it’s true. Fatigue is written all over his face. Basketball training is getting tougher and tougher as the competition date draws nearer. The basketballers have staying back late for training recently. This championship really means a lot to them. They are really determined to win it.

“Are you going or not?” Myungsoo asked impatiently.

“Yes yes of course,” I put on a stupid grin and left the house together with Myungsoo.

It has been a long time since I spend some time alone with Myungsoo, and I am really happy that he called me to go to the playground with him. The neighborhood’s playground is our favourite childhood place. It holds so many fond memories for the both of us, and it was where our friendship started. Both of us sat on the swing and we began to reminisce some of our childhood memories.

“There was once Dongwoo and you fought for the swing! But you were so big-sized and he couldn’t fight against you at all. You accidentally pushed him with your body weight and he fell on the ground. In the end he fractured his arm! It was so funny I don’t think I can ever forget that scene!!” I laughed uncontrollably upon recalling the hilarious scene. 

“Eeeesh don’t talk about that… I felt so bad, it wasn’t on purpose okay!” Myungsoo scratched his head as he let off an apologetic laugh. “I wonder how they are doing now, all our childhood play pals. It has been a really long time since we saw each other.”

 Oh, those nostalgic times.

I really loved spending time with Myungsoo. It is the only time when I can laugh freely without feeling any restrain. He can always make me feel comfortable around him, and I really enjoy those feelings.

“Hmm yeah, I wonder how everyone is now,” I nodded as I agree to Myungsoo’s comment.

“How do you differentiate the feeling of infatuation and the feeling of love?”

Myungsoo asked with a straight face. He is obviously asking for some love advice again, isn’t he?

“Umm… I don’t have any infatuation or love experience but,” I lied, “I guess infatuation is more of an ‘at that moment’ thing, but falling in love means that you start to develop deeper feelings for the person.”

Kim Myungsoo, posing this kind of question to a love idiot, how well do you expect my answers to be?  

“I think I am falling in love with Hana,” Myungsoo confessed. He avoided my gaze and kicked up some sand from the ground. Surprisingly, I wasn’t surprised. I knew this day will come. I was unexpectedly calm. Or rather, emotionless. Now Sungyeol should see why that his “wait and see” strategy did not work.

“So are you guys dating now?” I asked, a little too composed.

“Nope, but I am going to confess to her after the championships.”

“I see, good luck to you.” I gave my well wishes and put up a half-hearted smile. I don’t know how to explain this mixed feeling I am currently experiencing. I don’t know if I should feel happy for my best friend for finding his first love, or should I be feeling sad because I fell out of this love that will never belong to me.

“What about you? Do you have someone you like?”

“Yes,” I don’t know what has gotten into me at that moment. I was too, shocked at my own straightforwardness. I blushed hard upon his question, and now he is staring at me this really weird expression.  Oh this is really bad, I hope the night is dark enough to cover the crimson red blush on my face.

“Who?”

I paused a while and I stuck out my tongue, “MEHRRRRONG. I’m not going to tell you!”

“YAHHH KIM DASOM!”

“HAHAHA now come and catch me!” I sprung up from my swing and ran away from the annoyed Myungsoo.

“Don’t run!”

Carefree laughter filled the playground as we ran around the playground chasing each other like little kids. It was times like this I really enjoy being Myungsoo’s best friend. He has never shown this side of him to the other people besides me. It felt great to know that I’m someone who is special to him, a best friend status that will never change. 

I have decided, best friends we shall stay. I will give up this love that I feel for him. I will, but just not now.

Myungsoo caught me and pinned me down onto the soft sand beneath while he sat on me. He tickled my sides and went, “are you going to tell me now? You’d better tell me or if not I will continue to tickle you!”

“Ahhhh! No I-I am ahhhhh- not going t-to!!” I spoke my words incoherently due to the itch I am feeling. Myungsoo ah, how do you want me to tell you that the person I like is actually you?

“What are you guys doing here?!” 

 

Oh , the neighborhood patrol police.

Both of us looked up at the police, and that was when we realized that we are actually in a very provocative position. Myungsoo immediately got off of me and explained, “umm no it’s actually not what you th-“

“Seriously what is wrong with teenagers nowadays? If you want to do then do it at home or some private place, not at the playground!”

He has clearly misunderstood us.

“No, it’s not what you think. We are friends! We don’t have that kind of relationship!”

The police shot us a really doubtful look, and I won’t blame him for that. Anyone who sees it will think that we are actually doing… it.

“Okay however you want to explain it… But please go home soon, it is not good to stay out till so late. Recently there have been cases of outrage of modesty, it’s good to be careful.”

“Sure, sorry for making so much noise just now.”

“It’s okay… it’s okay. Just go home now,” and he shoos us off.

Myungsoo and I just stare at each other…

 

 

And, that was a really awkward encounter. 

 

 

A/N: 

That's a sweet myungsom moment for you guys~ (in case there's too much sungyeol in the past few chapters)

Sorry for this really crappy chapter! (I am really tired today T_T) Next chapter will be good, I promise! 

Anyway I am currently watching this Japanese drama, "Last Cinderella", IT'S REALLY GOOD!! Strongly recommend it to everyone!~