A Special Lunch

My Best Friend

And immediately after I blurted out the question, I regretted. I must have looked like a total idiot in front of the second most sought after guy in the school.

And Sungyeol burst into a hearty laughter, and asked, “must there be a reason for everything? I just want to be your friend!”  

That doesn’t sound like a legit enough reason to me…

“Well… there should be a reason, shouldn’t it?” I whispered a reply.

I am definitely not used to people being nice to me, and don’t even talk about initiating a friendship. Certainly I have lost the feeling of knowing how it feels like to have someone being nice to you, or starting a friendly conversation. With the exception of Myungsoo though.

Wow I am really missing out a lot in life.  

“So I actually think you’re quite a nice person, from what Myungsoo says.”

Myungsoo talks about me in front of Sungyeol??

“But you always seems so lonely,” he broke my chain of thoughts, “so can you give a chance to make your life more lively and fun?”

Sungyeol shot me a childish and innocent grin, which shouts, “oh come on you can’t possibly reject me after seeing this face.”

And yes, how can I reject him?

“Okay,” I silently replied.

“Huh… what?” he probed.

“I said yes!”

Feeling embarrassed, I quickly ran away from Sungyeol. Kyaaaaaaaa I can’t believe I just made a friend!!

“See you around in school, chingu-ah!”

I turned around and looked at him. He did a victory punch in the air and screamed “yesssssssssss”. He is really like a kid. Despite his tall height and mature looks, he behaves like a child who just earned a lollipop from his mum after completing his homework.   

I laughed to myself, and secretly cheered for myself.

“Make a friend in high school.” Achievement unlocked.

So for the rest of the day, I have this airy feeling surrounding me. And it feels as if I have a spring on my feet wherever I go. I am very sure I have this foolish grin plastered on my face which made everyone in the hallway wonder, “what’s wrong with her?”

I want to shout out to everyone, “THE SCHOOL’S BASKETBALL TEAM CAPTAIN LEE SUNGYEOL IS NOW MY FRIEND!!!” But that would certainly earn me more stares from the student body. Moreover I wouldn’t even have the courage to do so.

And my favourite lunch bell has finally sounded. I am so excited about my new friend and I definitely want to share this joy with Myungsoo.

I made my way to the sports hall and took a seat at the bleachers, impatiently waiting for Myungsoo to arrive.

However after 15 minutes, Myungsoo still hasn’t arrived. This is weird. Usually he would be earlier than me, and even if he would be late, he will drop me a message. So I have decided to text him.  

“Are you coming?”

Beep beep.

“Got caught up with stuffs. Sorry to keep you waiting, go ahead and have your lunch first.”

Okay… so he is not coming.

I heaved a loud sigh and suddenly someone crept up behind me, “why are you heaving such a loud and depressed sigh?”

I jumped in shock and was surprised to see Sungyeol behind me.

“Why do you have to always scare me from behind?” I asked frankly.

“I did? Sorry for that, Dasom ah” he apologized not so apologetically.

The way he called my name is so… intimate. Isn’t he getting a bit too friendly for our first conversation?  

Now I am facing a problem… how should I address him? Sungyeol-ssi? Sungyeol-sunbae? Sungyeol-oppa? Eww the last one gave me chills so I have decided to stick with the first one to be safe.

“It’s okay, Sungyeol-ssi, just don’t do it again next time.”

“Sungyeol-ssi? HAHAHAHAHA” he joked, “that sounds too corny, Dasom ah. Just call me Sungyeol, I am fine with it. “

I shot him a doubtful look, and then he continued, “I would prefer oppa though.”

HUH?!

He grinned and squealed it in an aegyo voice, “OPPAAAAA~”

I can’t help but to laugh at his foolishness. It has been a long time since I laughed so freely. Sungyeol looked up at me and smiled gladly, as if satisfied with my response. Well, the beginning was quite awkward, but Sungyeol (oppa) is really good at easing the atmosphere. I find myself slowly opening up to him as the conversation went on. In some ways he really reminds me of Myungsoo. The fact that they can make lighten the atmosphere around me.

“So, for the sake of understanding each other better, you should tell me more about yourself, Sungyeol oppa,” I said, deliberately whispering the last word.

“Wait, Sungyeol what?”

He is just trying to make me embarrassed. He was aware that I am still not very comfortable with calling him oppa. Myungsoo is slightly older than me and I don’t even call him oppa!

“Oppa.”

“O-what?”

“Oppa/”

“I can’t hear you.”

“Oppa! Oppa! OPPA!” and I finally succumbed to his request.   

“That’s good, haha. So what do you want to know about me? How tall I am? What’s my weight? Where and when I had my first kiss? How many times have I kissed a girl? How many girlfriends I had? These are questions that girls are usually interested to know, right?”

I nodded slightly.

He cleared his throat and started, “I am Lee Sungyeol, captain of the basketball team. I am 1.83m tall, nicknamed the lanky giant (teehee). As to the questions regarding my first kiss… I haven’t had it. I never had a girlfriend either.”

I nodded my head at his answer. That was quite surprising. Unlike Myungsoo, Sungyeol is always seen around girls. And I always thought he would have a girlfriend, or at least experience with girls. So this means that he inwardly a nerd too, just like Myungsoo?

No wonder the both of them click so well together.

“Why don’t you have a girlfriend?” I think I asked a little too frankly, but beating around the bush isn’t really my style anyway.

“Umm… I just, haven’t found the right one. There is no one who has made my heart flutters,” he took a deep breath before continuing, “I really want to give in my all for that one person, and therefore I am wating.”

Wow so he is kind of rare, huh?

Usually people would date girls until they find the right one, but Sungyeol chose to wait. And he will wait till the right girl appears in front of him. He sounded really truthful and sincere when he spoke those words to me. And I believe in those words.

I looked up at him in admiration while he broke silence, “hey I’ve shared about myself! Now’s your turn, Dasom ah!”

“I guess I am pretty much the same as you. Except for the fact that you have all the females in the student body ogling over you, while people barely even know about my existence,” I shrugged it off as if it meant nothing to me.

“Well… you are a nice person. I don’t believe no one likes you. “

“Nah,” I shook my fingers at him, “guys won’t like fat girls. Or even develop romantic feelings.” I was so confident with my claim. “That’s just impossible.”

“A guy who loves you wouldn’t care about how you look.”

“Wow you said exactly the same thing as Kim Myungsoo.”

“He said that too?” he asked, unsurprisingly. “Well, girls are always complaining that no one likes them, or whining about their crushes for not liking them back. But little did they know that maybe someone out there is doing the same thing, wishing for her to look in his direction, begging for that little bit of attention. “

Coming out from Sungyeol, it sounds really convincing.

“But what if there really isn’t any?”

Just then, the lunch dismissal bell went off, and we quickly packed our lunchboxes.

“You are too pessimistic, Dasom,” he shook his head in disapproval, “you don’t have to worry, the guy will eventually find you. Pinky promise!” and he wriggle his pinky in front of me.

 I replied by hooking my pinky with his, despite my doubts.

What a special lunch.  

“Myungsoo ah! Come join us for dinner! Dasom set the dining table!”

I shot up from my seat when I heard my mum’s order. At the same time I see Myungsoo walking in, looking like a zombie.

“Yes aunt,” he answered my mum sloppily as if all his energy were being drained.

“Are you okay?” Well obviously he isn’t.

“Training was tough today, but I survived it anyway,” and he lifted up his hands for a weak victory sign.

“By the way, do you know Lee Hana?” Myungsoo asked casually. But I sensed something’s wrong…

“Umm yeah, she’s my classmate. What about her?”

“She is really pretty and charming.”

Yes I know right.

“And then?”

“She talked to me during lunch today,” he answered honestly.

“Is that the reason why you didn’t appear during lunch today?” I asked, careful not to raise my tone.  

“Yes,” he answered a bit too truthfully.

And the thing I am most fearful of…

“And she told me that she likes me a lot, and asked me if I want to be her boyfriend.”

“So what did you tell her?” I could feel tears boiling within me already.

“I don’t know, that’s why I came to ask you for your advice.” Myungsoo scratched his head and looked at me questioningly.

 

My dear best friend, for all you know, I may not give you the best advice.  

 

 

A/N:

Can’t wait for SISTAR’s comeback already!!!