The Game

My Best Friend

Dasom’s POV

I can’t help but to cringe at how real the dream felt like. It was as if, as if……

Myungsoo kissed me.

 

So I unknowingly fell asleep while doing Sungyeol’s wristband. And all I know was that I dreamt of Myungsoo kissing me. My infatuation has brought me to insanity, hasn’t it? I shook my head, so to shake off all the wild imaginations that remained in my mind. I gently touched my lips, feeling the slight warmth.

Everything felt so real.

But deep down inside I know it will never happen.

 

I let out a sigh as I took out the (screwed) wristband I made for Myungsoo from my bag. “Click,” and I locked it in my drawer.

I will forget about this love. I will.

 

I glanced around and was surprised to see Myungsoo’s math assignment on my desk. So he really did come and find me just now? Hmm… that explains the neck pillow and blanket. I took a look at his answers and realized that all the answers are wrong. I let out a small laugh as I started to correct all his mistakes and completed the remaining questions for him.

This is what friends are for, right?

 

 

Myungsoo’s POV

“Wow Kim Myungsoo, what's with your eyebags? Today is the match right? Were you so nervous that you couldn’t fall asleep?” Dasom asked.

It was true. I couldn’t fall asleep for the whole night. But it’s not because of the championships, I am pretty confident with myself and the team. I was bothered about the kiss in the room yesterday.

The whole morning I was avoiding her gaze. I can’t look at Dasom straight. Her doe-like eyes are looking at me, as if waiting for a reply.

“Umm errr y-yeah… I am n-nervous,” I stuttered as I looked away from her direction.

Argh damn it. This is so awkward.

I’m in love with Hana, right? I am supposed to be in love with her, then why did I kiss Dasom? Why am I so bothered with Sungyeol-hyung’s relationship with Dasom? Thousands and millions of whys I just can’t explain them.

“I’m done, aunt. I should be heading to the court now,” I quickly grabbed the last bite of my bread and bid goodbye with their family.

“Hey Myungsoo wait! I made this for you!” Dasom ran up to me with a lunchbox in her hand.

“Eat it after the match, okay!”

I grinned widely at her and gladly accepted her gift.

“Thank you, my best friend!”

“Myungsoo ah.”

“Hmm yeah?”

“Win it okay. The championships.”

“I will.”

And that was a great boost of energy.

 

 

Both teams are on court practicing drills and passes. Today Woollim High is playing against Jisung High. Tough competitor I will say. We‘ve played a few friendly matches with them. They have really good defensive skills.  Moreover, they have really tall players. Woollim’s players are generally shorter, but when it comes to attacking skills, we are definitely better than Jisung High.

“Sungyeol will play centre. Myungsoo will play small forward. Jun Ki will play point guard. Jonghyun will play power forward, and Jichan will play shooting guard. Now mark your positions and…” coach is explaining to us the general strategy and everyone paid serious attention. This match is crucial, we can’t afford to screw it up.

After strategizing, we went back to our benches and took a sip of water. The audience and cheerleaders began cheering for us.

 

“Sungyeol oppa hwaiting!!”

“Myungsoo oppa I love you!!”

 

Yeah, and most of the cheers were dedicated to the both of us.

 I stared at hyung, and I couldn’t keep yesterday’s image out of my mind. Why am I so bothered about it?

“Yah, Myungsoo. All the best later, don’t disappoint coach, arasso?” Hyung’s voice rung and I returned to my senses.

“I know. I won’t,” and we did a bro fist.

“Myungsoo oppa!” a chirpy voice sounded behind my back. It was Hana. She was wearing her cheerleading outfit, and looking absolutely adorable.

“Oh, Hana! Annyeong! You look so cute in your outfit,” I praised her mindlessly, while my eyes were wandering somewhere else, looking for someone.

 

Yes, Dasom.

 

“Really?” Hana slightly lifted the hem of her already very short skirt, and turned a round. She is so cute, no wonder no one can resist her.

“Oppa hwaiting! If you win, then Hana will…” she paused for a moment and looked down in embarrassment.

“What will you do?”

“Hana will give oppa a kiss!” and she skipped away like a happy little kid who just got candies from her mommy.

 

KISS?!

And my mind was immediately flooded by images of yesterday.

 

I needed to find Dasom. I don’t know why I just needed to see her face to feel assured.

And guess what?

She was with Sungyeol hyung.

I honestly don’t know how to describe this annoyance when I see the both of them laughing at each other. This shouldn’t be it. I am the only guy that Dasom will talk to. Ever since hyung entered her social circle, she seemed to care less about me. He was even wearing the wristband made by Dasom.

 

Oh how much I wished to have a hand-sewn wristband made by Dasom.

 

I don’t even know why I am so possessive over Dasom. She is making friends right? I should be feeling happy for her? But… but why do I feel so awful? I inwardly cursed myself a little and rolled my eyes at the sight of both of them.  

 

 

“Beep!” the umpire’s whistle sounded through the sports hall, and the first quarter starts. The sports hall was filled with loud cheers from the supporters. But my mind was set on one girl.

Dasom.

 

I admit that I am distracted during the game. I lost count of how many times I accidentally passed the ball to the opponent, and how many times they managed to intercept my passes. I was pissed at myself, and needless to say, coach was pissed at me, the whole team was pissed at me. I kept hearing coach screaming my name. I know that I shouldn’t be making mistakes, but I just can’t help it. I was so distracted that I can’t concentrate fully into the game.

 

“Beep!” another whistle that marked the end of the first quarter.

 

24-22. Woollim’s in the lead. But I’m not feeling good.

 

“KIM MYUNG SOO WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?” coach’s scream was so loud that I swear it can break my ear drums.  

“If it wasn’t for Sungyeol’s rebounds and defenses, do you know how much we would be losing now?” Coach stopped to catch his breath before continuing with his lecture, “You are usually not like this, what happened to you?”

I am officially self-hating myself. Coach’s right. I usually play better than this. I am out of form today. Very.

“I am sorry coach. I won’t make the same mistakes for the next quarter,” I uttered, feeling ashamed of myself. I didn’t lift up my head, but I can feel everyone throwing blame stares on me.

“You’d better. If not I’ll switch you with Woohyun for the next half. Myungsoo, I need you to prove to me that it’s not my mistake to choose you to be part of this team. I want you to prove to me that your captain wasn’t wrong when he says that you have lots of potential in you. Is that understood?”

“Yes coach!”

I answered, still feeling a bit unsure and unconfident.  

 

“Myungsoo ah,” I felt Sungyeol hyung’s pat on my shoulders, “Dasom’s watching, don’t disappoint her.”

I don’t know what came over me at that instant, but I got so angry that I shook hyung’s hand away upon the mention of Dasom’s name.

“I know,” I replied coldly as I caught Dasom’s worrisome face in the crowd.

 

I can’t afford to screw this up.

 

 

Dasom’s POV

Why is Myungsoo so off-form today? I can’t help but to feel worried for him. I could tell that he is very distracted. I am not a basketball pro, but from what I see, he kept passing the ball to the opponent team, and even intercepted a few of Sungyeol’s ball.

What’s wrong with him?

 

“Beep!” the whistle marks the end of the third quarter.

75-70, Jisung’s in the lead.

If it wasn’t for the few mistakes here and there, Woollim could be leading. I am not blaming on Myungsoo of course. I am worried for him. Judging from his performance, he is bound to get scolded by his coach. Coach Lee isn’t a person to mess with, and Myungsoo isn’t a very strong person. I wonder how he is going to handle the stress.

 

“Let me play the last round, please coach!” I heard Myungsoo begged his coach.

“No way, I already gave you chances, but you kept making the same mistakes! The coach form the other team must be thinking why I am letting such a useless player play on court!”

 

Okay we all know Coach Lee is a tough guy, but that was really harsh.

 

“Coach, please let Myungsoo play the last round. I am very sure he won’t commit the same mistakes again,” Sungyeol, who was originally a bystander of this conversation, finally spoke up.

“No! Woohyun, you take Myungsoo’s place!”

His tone was firm. There was no room for negotiation. Coach Lee’s mind is set.

“Please Coach!” Myungsoo begged once again. But this time round, the whole basketball team was behind him, giving coach the pleading look. Everyone was supporting Myungsoo.

“Coach, you got to put that last bit of faith in Myungsoo. He can do it. Please trust me like how you did when you first recruited Myungsoo into the team,” Sungyeol persuaded.

I am really impressed, he sounded really convincing.

 

“Fine! Myungsoo you better don’t let your captain down,” he paused a while before continuing, “And most importantly, don’t let yourself down.”

“Yes, I won’t!” Myungsoo replied brightly.

 

I inwardly cheered. That’s the spirit! Go Myungsoo!!

“Myungsoo ah hwaiting!”

“Myungsoo oppa hwating!”

Loud cheers could be heard from the audiences and the cheerleaders. And most importantly, the encouragement from his own team members.  Before the game starts, each of s gave him a pat on the shoulders.

Myungsoo’s eyes then shifted to me, and I nodded my head and gave him a reassuring look. “Hwaiting~” I mouthed the words, and he replied by saying, “thank you”.

 

 

“Beep!”

The last quarter finally started. Indeed, Woollim played really well in this quarter, and Myungsoo’s play was perfect thus far, no mistakes at all. They were slowly catching up with Jisung’s score. However, Jisung’s players have really good defensive skills and it was difficult for Woollim to score

 

 

10 seconds left.

99-97, Jisung’s in the lead.

The sports hall was quiet, except for the dribbling of ball and screeching sound from the shoes. Everyone was so concentrated on the game and no one dared to make a noise.

 

 

5 seconds left.

Sungyeol is in possession of the ball. However he is at the other side of the court. He used a long pass and Myungsoo caught the ball.

 

 

2 seconds left.

And Myungsoo attempted to make a 3 pointer goal.

 

 

0 second.

99-100! It was a buzzer beater! Myungsoo made it! WOOLLIM’S THE CHAMPION!!!

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Hello dear readers! I’M BACK! This chapter is a bit technical, and it’s also the longest I’ve written so far. Wanted to continue but it’s getting late haha, but I will continue it really soon!!

So recently, I’ve been reading a lot of negative comments about Dasom. It’s really upsetting when I see comments like “oh she’s useless”, “she’s so plain and dull compared to her unnies”, “she can’t sing” etc…

Dasom is not my bias, but I think I really have to say something about this. I love my idols but I won’t defend them obsessively. Dasom can't sing, but what’s the problem? Not everyone is born to sing well, so there’s nothing wrong about it. I don’t see a problem in it, really. Everyone has their own role in a group, if Dasom is a sub-vocalist, then this naturally means that she gets lesser lines. Not to mention that her acting has helped SISTAR to gain a lot of popularity. She is definitely not useless. I love Dasom too. I love how she is so knowledgeable and smart and the vibe she gives off is very different from the other SISTAR members. To me, she is the balance to the y feel that the other 3 members give. They complement each other so well.

And I thought I have to address the issue about Soyou being the less known member of SISTAR. So I’ve been seeing a lot of comments saying “Soyou should have more lines”, “SISTAR19 should have been SoRin”… It’s really infuriating. Just because Hyorin has already established herself as an excellent vocalist, that doesn’t mean that Soyou is not good. If SISTAR19 was made up of SoRin, certainly vocal quality wise it would be better (not hating on Bora because both Hyorin and Soyou are very strong vocalists). But let’s not forget that KPOP industry is a business, and profit maximizing is of utmost importance. For a subunit, they need an excellent vocalist (and since they have one of the best vocalist, why not utilize their resources to the fullest) and a really impactful visual. People will buy the image portrayed, and that’s business (sadly but true).

These are all my opinions. You don’t necessary have to agree with what I say.

Sorry for the long rant. I am just so infuriated by all the hate comments I see. Anyway has anyone watched Despicable Me? IT’S SO FUNNY AND ADORABLEEEEE!~ Love the minions hahahaha