Our Secret Hideout

My Best Friend

For the whole morning, I couldn’t keep my eyes off Hana. She’s beyond beautiful, and she is extremely goddess-like. I wouldn’t be surprised if guys swoon over her. She has all it takes to be the most popular girl in the school.

So I heard, she was crowned as the prettiest girl (meh not surprising) in her previous school. She is good at everything, sports (she’s a cheerleader), music (she plays the piano and violin), academics (straight A’s student). What more, she is hell damn rich. Her father is the CEO of an established enterprise in Asia and her mother is a professor in Korea National University of Arts.

Despite being rich and perfect, she is a very down-to-earth person. She never flaunts her wealth. Apart from that, she is also a very active and sunny type of person, probably because of her role as a cheerleader. She is just plain attractive, a smile from her can make you swoon over her for the whole day.

Life’s just unfair.

Ringgggggggg~

The lunch bell rang and I quickly made my way to the bleachers at the sports hall to eat my lunch. I hate to go to the canteen. Everyone will be sitting with their group of friends, and it just reminds me of how “friend-less” I am. But I am thankful enough, to have Myungsoo, by my side. They are my only true friends.

And all of a sudden I felt a poke on my cheek, “ouch! Who was that?”

“Your most handsome best friend,” I lifted my head and saw Myungsoo’s grin. He can really be egoistic sometimes, but I know he is not like this by nature. He was just joking around with me. Deep down inside, I know he is a really humble person despite his good looks. Since the start of last year, Myungsoo would always come and look for me for lunch. He could have went for lunch with his group of friends, but yet he chose to spend his lunch with me. Since then, the sports hall have became our secret hideout.   

I am surrounded by perfection today, and once again reminding me of the fact that I will never be one of them.

“Kim Myungsoo, I am warning you to not do that to me again. It really hurts!” I weakly warned him.

 “I am so intimidated by your ‘warning’,” he joked. “Anyway, what are you having for lunch today? Did aunt prepare the same food for the both of us?”

“Umm nope, I am having tomatoes and lettuce and some apples for lunch today,” I stared boringly into my lunch box as I answered his questions. I told mum to prepare me a diet lunch box, but I really never thought a diet lunch box will look like this. All veggies and fruits. Bleah. Now I am regretting, I will definitely starve later. The portion is way too small to keep me full.

“Yah! Are you dieting!?” Myungsoo raised his voice at me and I shot a glare at him and annoyingly answered, “yes, so what?”

“How can I let my girl eat these veggies?” he snatched my lunchbox and switched it with his. His lunchbox contained the good stuffs, beef bulgogi, kimchi and rice and many others. Wow mum, my usual lunchbox is not even as good as this.

But his words set my heart racing. He referred to me as his girl. Of course I know he didn’t mean it in the lovey dovey way, he has been calling me that since young. But ever since I realize my feelings for him, it is really hard to keep my composure in front of him whenever he says that or does anything that will make my heart flutter.

Kim Myungsoo really has the ability to control my feelings.

“Give it back to me!” I attempted to snatch my lunchbox back from him, but he lifted it and brought it even further away from me. His arms are really long and obviously I can’t reach it!

“Argh forget it!” I gave up snatching the lunchbox and started munching on the bulgogi meat pieces.  

Hmm heavenly.

“Now that’s my good girl,” Myungsoo said as he ruffled my hair. Okay he really needs to stop the “my girl” thing. “Don’t ever go on a diet, arrasso? I love these,” he said as he pinched my fats cheeks that was stuffed with rice. I am pretty sure I look like a greedy hamster now. And he pinched them so hard that I… spit my rice at his face…

YAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

“Oh my god, I am so sorry Myungsoo!!” I rubbed my sore cheeks as I hastily handed him a napkin. “Oh dear, I am so sorry I really didn’t mean it! You squeezed them too hard that’s why I…”

“But you didn’t have to spit rice at my face right!” Myungsoo angrily retorted.

“I said I am sorry!!” I don’t even know why Myungsoo was so angry at me, he was at fault first! As if knowing that I am pissed at him, Myungsoo kept quiet and stared at me while I cleared the remaining rice bits on his face.

I didn’t realize I was being so close to his face, I could literally feel his breath on my face. Myungsoo looked into my eyes sharply (I am getting breathless…) and he suddenly held onto my wrist. I jumped at the little gesture.

Oh my god what is he trying to do.

Myungsoo burst into laughter, and said, “I think you can stop wiping now, there’s nothing on my face anymore.”

I heaved a sigh of relief. Ugh I really hate it when he teases me like this. I shifted back to my original position and continue eating.

And there was an awkward silence. Myungsoo knows that I’m feeling embarrassed about the close distance just now. My heart is still beating fast from what just happened. I can’t even chew my food properly.

“Dasom ah,” I startled, ”don’t ever tell anyone that you spit rice at my face,” he took a deep breath and continued, “it will become the joke of the school.”

“Haha I know, I wouldn’t want to embarrass myself either,” I replied lightheartedly.

It has always been like this, Myungsoo never fails to make the atmosphere right whenever I am feeling bad. This is something I like about Myungsoo, I can never be awkward with him for more than ten minutes.

“Did you want some more food? You have basketball training later on, right? You need energy,” I offered him my half eaten food.

“Nope it’s okay, I can always buy something from the cafeteria later and eat. Now YOU eat,” he demanded. “Why do you even want to go on a diet? You’re fine like this, aren’t you? I really think you look good!”

And he went ranting on and on.

“Only you think so,” I shook my head at him, “Myungsoo ah, You wouldn’t know how it feels like.”

“Why would I not know how it feels like! I was once fat too, don’t you remember?”

Yes I know, but now you’re not.

“Myungsoo-“ I wanted to reply him but the lunch bell went off. “I will talk to you after school.”

“Umm Dasom ah!” he called out my name and I stopped walking in the middle of the hallway.

“Yeah?”

“You see, I have practice till quite late in the evening because coach is not available in the afternoon, he had to extend the training duration. I don’t want to let you wait for me, so…maybe you would want to go home first? It’s just for today! I promise I’ll go home with you the next time!” he apologized.

“Okay,” I answered plainly. Of course I can’t help but to feel a little disappointed inside. I know that the upcoming match is important to him, and to the basketball team. He told me that the team has to reclaim the high school championship title. And Myungsoo, being one of the star players, is definitely feeling the immense stress from it. I thought the only thing I could do is to support him in any way possible.

He beamed and walked beside me, and gave me a little hug, “you really are my best friend.”

But I wished I was more than that.

A/N:

Chapter 3! Hope you guys like it! Sorry I haven’t been able to update for the past week because I was really busy with school work. And my term break is coming soon (can you smell the holidays?), so I’ll be able to update more frequently!

And yays for all my subscribers! Sincere thanks to the 11 of you, you guys are really my motivation to continue writing! And of course to all the other readers!

Please support the other fanfic of mine, “Apartment”, featuring SISTAR’s Soyou, INFINITE’s Sunggyu and Woohyun!