This is what friends are for

My Best Friend

Myungsoo’s POV

 

“And the champion is…. WOOLLIM HIGH!”

 

 

It’s the best day of my life. Even till now, it feels so unbelievable! Woollim’s the champion! WE ARE THE CHAMPION!

 

“Myungsoo ah! If it wasn’t for the 3 pointer, we wouldn’t have won!”

“Yeah that’s right! Myungsoo’s our hero!”

“Woohoo!”

 

The team was so happy that they couldn’t stop praising me. So this what “from-zero-to-hero” feels like huh? But of course, this wasn’t entirely my effort, it’s a team effort that we won.

Sungyeol hyung, as expected, was titled the MVP. Coach gave him a warm bear-like hug. Coach is just like our father. He could be tough on the outside, but he is more caring than anyone else. He takes his players’ welfare as priority. Training could be tough, but he had never given up on us. When we won, he was the first to run up to us and congratulate us. He feels happier than anyone else.

 

“Myungsoo ah, I am proud of you. You didn’t let the team down,” Coach gave a pat on my shoulders, “and remember to thank your captain.”

I searched for hyung but he was nowhere in sight. Where could he possibly go? Just then I saw Dasom walking past me. I called for her name but she didn’t hear me. And guess who was she approaching?

 

 

Hyung was beyond elated to see Dasom. And what happened next really shocked me. He immediately pulled Dasom into a hug when he saw her. Though a little awkward, Dasom didn’t push him away. She gently wrapped her arms around him too.

I can feel my heart sinking. It’s hard to explain this feeling.  It wasn’t as if I am in love with her, so why am I feeling like this?

Must be the overly protective brotherly feeling. Yeah it must be it.

 

 

“Oppa!” I returned to my senses as I heard Hana’s voice.

“Oh hello Hana! Oppa did well just now right?”

“Mm!” she cheerily nodded, “and I am here to fulfill my promise!”

“Your promise?”

“Yes!”

“What did you pro-“

Hana plunged her soft lips on mine. I stared at her wide-eyed while she kissed me. The kiss lasted for about 10 seconds. And I swear that 10 seconds felt like eternity, it felt as if I was shut away from the rest of world. And there was only one person who came to my mind.

You know who.

 

 

Finally, Hana broke away from the kiss.  And I could hear people cheering by our side.

 

“Woah our little Myungsoo is a young man now!”

“Hey Myungsoo how’s your first kiss?”

“Oooh birth of a visual couple – Myungsoo and Hana!”

  

My teammates were teasing me around in front of Hana. I couldn’t help but to blush red from embarrassment. Technically that wasn’t my first kiss, but I certainly felt something from my kiss with Hana.

I looked around to find the girl who had been constantly on my mind since yesterday. And right now she is looking at me with an unreadable expression. Come on Dasom, save me. Tell me what I should do now. Help me solve my problems like how you usually do.

And then, I saw it. The reassuring smile on her smile, as if saying “go after the girl you like”. She nodded her head in agreement and she turned and walked away. I don’t know why all of this feels like me getting permission from my mother to date a girl. As weird as it sounds, I heaved a huge sigh of relief.

 

 

“Hana, will you go out with me?” I gathered all my courage and finally asked the question of the century.

“Of course, Myungsoo oppa. I have been waiting for this day to come,” and Hana replied me with the most dazzling smile on her face and she threw her arms around me tightly.

 

 

Dasom’s POV

“Yah, are you sad?”

“NO I’M NOT! Stop asking me that question! You’ve been asking the same thing for 18 times already!” I answered as I gobbled down the third bowl of Jajangmyun.

 

So I was lying okay. I am obviously feeling sad. In fact, sad will be an understatement. I am devastated. And it’s when times like this I will stuff myself with food in order to distract myself from the sorrow.

 

“Okay whatever, you’re lying. But since you say that I’ll pretend to believe you,” Sungyeol scoffed.

“If you’re not here to console me, then why are you doing here? Don’t you guys have a celebration party tonight?” I rebutted.

“Well that’s because someone look like she is in such despair that she might break down anytime, so I’ve decided to tag along.”

I stopped eating for a moment, “oppa, you don’t have to do this. You’re the MVP of the game. Moreover, how can the captain of the team be absent from the party?”

“Just, just leave me alone. I want some time to myself too. Don’t worry. I’ll be fine. Maybe not now, but I will be fine.”

“Will you really be fine?”

I nodded.

“Then I’ll go okay, don’t you dare order the fourth bowl, arasso?”

I nodded in annoyance, “just go now!”

 

He stood up and finally left his seat. As if on cue, the tears that I’ve been holding back for the past few hours started pouring out. I guessed I have been too selfish in the past, wanting Myungsoo all to myself. I’ve seen it coming, Myungsoo getting into a relationship. I am just not mentally prepared for it. I am so jealous of Hana. But what can I do? Snatch him back?

I laughed hopelessly.

He’s out of my league.

 

 

After an hour or so, I have decided that crying is probably the stupidest thing. I could be doing much more productive things rather than mourning over the fact that I fell out of love. After paying the noodle ahjumma the money, I left the roadside stall.

“You done?”

It was Sungyeol.

“Oppa! Wh-what are you doing here? You shocked me! You should be at the party!” I stuttered in shock.

“They are just playing another round of basketball and snacking at the neighbourhood basketball court. I am tired from today’s game, I don’t want to join them anymore. So I decided to come back and find you,” he paused and continued, “oppa is such a nice friend right?”

I broke into a small laughter. “Thank you,” I thanked him from the bottom of my heart.

“This is what friends are for!”  

 

 

A/N:

A continuation of yesterday’s chapter! Wanted to combine these two chapters, but I realized that will be too long. Anyway, INFINITE’S DESTINY TEASER PHOTOS ARE LOOKING SO GOOD! I love gyu and yeol’s pics the most!!

P.S. I think “Be Your Everything” by Boys Like Girls really suit this story.