Wait and See

My Best Friend

Kim Myungsoo is asking me for love advice, should I feel honored?

“Umm… well do you have feelings for her?” I asked cautiously.

“Ahhhh you know for the whole day today I have been asking myself this question,” he scratched his head hard and frowned, “but I have no answer to it! I’m so confused with my feelings!!”

I stole at glance at him, and he was fiddling with his fingers. Ever since young, whenever he is feeling jittery or when he is nervous, he would play with his fingers. I always thought it’s a cute gesture, but I guess not now.

He continued shyly, “I really think she is pretty, and I am perhaps… maybe… really attracted to her.”

My heart sank. And it was all it takes to bring my heart to the bottom of the pit.

“But I am quite sure it’s not love,” he blinked, “yet.”

Why do I have to fall in love with you, Kim Myungsoo?

“Hmm I think the love hasn’t bloomed yet,” I tried to keep my composure and continued, “maybe if you give yourself more time to know about her more, you will fall in love with her.”

Those are obviously not my heartfelt words. I don’t know who took over my body and spoke those words on my behalf. I don’t know, I really don’t know.

“So, do you think I should date her?”

Okay, Kim Myungsoo, stop now. I can’t take this anymore.

“Well not now, maybe after you get to know her better.”

I guessed I did my best as a "best friend"? I tried to fight the tears that are threatening to come out of my eyes. I am pretty sure I look like an idiot now. Why am I crying, crying over my best friend’s happiness? The sides of my eyes are tear-stained now. I need to go to my room before Myungsoo sees me.

“Thank you, Dasom ah. You are really my best friend.” He cupped my small hand with his big ones as he expressed his gratitude for me.

Not saying anything, I shook off his hands and run up to my room and locked myself inside. I shut the door and immediately plunged myself in bed. I was pretty sure I left Myungsoo in shock. After that, he knocked a few times on my door and asked if I was okay.

“Dasom ah, are you okay?”

Silence.

“If you are okay, then answer me!”

Silence.

“Aunt is asking you to go down for dinner.”

“Please tell her I am not feeling well!” My voice was muffled as I was hiding my head in my pillow. I don’t want to let anyone see me cry. I seldom cry, not even when people made fun of my weight. But I cried this time round, and I cried really hard.

I should have seen it coming. Myungsoo is so handsome, and loved by so many girls. He could have easily picked one of the girls out of the many, but he didn’t. To remain single up till this point, he has pretty good resilience. But in front of a girl like Lee Hana, I guess no one can resist her, not even Myungsoo. I couldn’t even consider her as a love rival because I am not even half her standards. Moreover, Myungsoo doesn’t even know about my feelings for him. It is so painful to love him, because I know he will never see me as anything more than a friend.

And I was probably being the worst idiot ever just now by telling the guy I like to date another girl. To conclude, I have only myself to blame.

“WHAT?! Are you okay?? Do you have a fever or flu? Why does your voice sound so weird? Do you need me to get some fever medicine for you??” Myungsoo’s frantic voice brought me back to reality.

No Myungsoo, I am obviously not okay, not in that sense though.    

“It’s okay, I am having a little headache, I guess I just need some rest.”

“Okay, rest well, scream when you need help!” I heard his footsteps as he walked away, “I will always be here for you!”

Well, you won't be in time to come.

Unknowingly, I fell asleep on my bed while crying just now.  It’s already 10pm and I am famished. I slowly sat up from my bed and looked at myself in the mirror, my eyes were all swollen. Now how am I going to hide the fact from my Myungsoo that I have been crying all night?  

My hand phone rang and the caller ID states an unknown number. Hmm.

“Hello, who is this?”

“It’s me, Sungyeol OPPAAAAA~”

I can’t help but to burst out laughing at the phone aegyo.                          

“Hahahahahaha,” I was a bit breathless from the excessive laughing, “Sungyeol oppa, why do you have my number?”

“So I was being a naughty kid and I took your phone today during lunch and called myself with your phone,” he chuckled, “and therefore I have your number saved in my phone now kekeke.”

“What a way to get a girl’s phone number, huh?” I .

“Brilliant way isn’t it? Remember to save my number too!”

“Sure-”

“Why does your voice sound so weird?” I was cut off by Sungyeol with his sudden question.

My voice became hoarse from all that crying just now, but I was really surprised that Sungyeol could hear the difference of my voice over the phone.

“Have you been crying?” he asked gently.

Strike one.

“Ahhhh aniyo! Don’t make wild guesses!” I denied as I tried to brush it off, hoping that he won’t dwell on the matter.

“No… you have been crying right? You sound overly cheerful now, I bet right now you are trying to hide the fact that you have been crying.”

How is it possible for him to know what I am doing even when we are not having a face-to-face conversation? I feel like a book being read out loud.

“No I am not!” I am just going to deny it straight.

“Okay you can lie to yourself for all you want, but you can’t lie to me,” he said sternly, “but, do you mind telling me the reason you cried?”

I surrender.

“So it went kind of like… I fell out of love? No… that doesn’t sound correct, I am not even in a love relationship… I … I gave some wrong advice, I… umm… told my friend to go and get the person he likes,” I stuttered because it was so hard to describe the situation to Sungyeol.

“And the friend happened to be,” he took a deep breath before continuing, “Myungsoo?”

He just made the wildest guess, which happens to be very correct. Strike two.

“Hmm well it wasn’t difficult to guess who my ‘friend’ is right?” I shrugged it off, trying to sound like I don’t care about it anymore. But obviously it still bothered me a lot.

“I knew it from the start,” he muttered, “that you are in love with your so-called ‘best friend’.”

Was I that obvious? Or is it just Sungyeol being very sensitive?

“H-how did you know?”

“Well before I met you in the sports hall for lunch, I saw Myungsoo along the hallway, talking to Lee Hana.  I knew he would not be able to make it for lunch with you. And when I reached the sports hall and saw you, you looked so dejected. You were disappointed, right? That Myungsoo can’t join you for lunch.”

This is getting creepy, how did he know so much about me? Was I that easy to read?

“And when we are talking today, it seems like you can always link everything to Myungsoo. He is constantly on your mind, isn’t he?”

Strike three.

“So I safely concluded that you are in love with him.”

“Why do you know me so well?”

Silence.

He was obviously thrown off by my question.

“Not just you,” and he left me confused with this seemingly irrelevant reply. I guess I am just a bit too sensitive for a guy and I just have this ability to read people’s mind and actions,” he continued, “accurately.”

I nodded impressively.

“I am not a creepy guy, okay? In case if you are thinking that I am.”

“Strike four,” I blurted out.  

“What??” He asked confusedly.

“I do think you are creepy. HAHA”

“Geeez your oppa is not creepy okay!”

He really got to stop the oppa thing.

“So what should I do now?” I asked for Sungyeol’s advice after admitting that I am in love with Myungsoo.

“Wait and see.”

“That was a good advice from you, sir.” I answered sarcastically.

“Hey! I mean it! I mean, you did tell him to date Lee Hana only after he gets to know her better right?” He retorted. “And maybe after getting to know her better, he might think that she is not the one for him! Yay!”

I shook my head, depressed at his answer, “have you met her? It’s impossible to dislike her. Even Myungsoo says he is attracted to her.”

“I am not talking about being attracted to her! The whole world is attracted to Lee Hana isn’t it?? Even I am!!” I can’t help but to laugh at his annoyance and bluntness. “I am talking about compatibility! Maybe after getting to know her, if Myungsoo doesn't think that she is the one for him,  then they won’t get together!”       

I nodded my head because he sounds really convincing.

“Hmm well, so let’s just wait and see, right?” I asked, confirming with him once again.

“Yes!”

We chatted over the phone for a while more, and both of us didn’t realize that it was already 2am in the morning until we starting yawning as we talked.

“Thank you, Sungyeol oppa.”

“No problem, always here for you.”

We bid each other good night and we went to sleep.

 

I am really, really grateful for my new friend.

 

 

 

A/N:

SISTAR COMEBACK IS DAEBAK.

I really love all the tracks in the album! I can’t even name a favourite one because all of it sounds so good!! I really am not joking. “Give It To Me”, in my opinion, is by far the best Kpop album this year!

I made a poster for “My Best Friend”! Doesn’t really look good (I made it with an iPhone camera app lol) but those are my favourite screenshots from Love Blossom MV. Myungsom looks so good together!!

Anyway I am thinking of writing the story in third POV because then I can describe the feelings of all the characters. Right now I am just writing from Dasom’s POV. I just think it might be good to write in third POV. So there might be some changes from next chapter onwards!

I have colour-coded this chapter because as you can see there’s a lot of conversation so I will colour code in order to prevent confusion.

That’s all from me, please enjoy this chapter!