Acquisence

Yakuza's Rapunzel

a/n: time to lay low for a while... i've been writing too much action lately...

... and JHOY (yes, you, my dear maknae of BUBOTZ!) thanks for reading! why can't you write a comment here so i would know when you do read this! stop surprising me at school by telling me your comments and giving me a heart attack! sheeeesh! (saranghae! :])


“You know that you’re being petty, don’t you?” Hyoyeon nudged Kris as the two of them were on the kitchen, making dinner.

Well, in truth, only Hyoyeon was making dinner while Kris was assigned with chopping and cutting. Kris had nothing else to do and with Sehun out, no one was entertaining Seirin. He didn’t want to talk to her just yet. That’s why even if he didn’t want to at first, he forced himself to help with dinner.

“Petty? What are you talking about, mom?” Kris replied nonchalantly, he has an idea of what Hyoyeon was talking about though.

“How long had Seirin been here?” Hyoyeon asked.

Kris knew where the conversation was going but he humored his mother. “A little around three weeks. Why?”

“She’s been here for nearly three weeks, yet you’ve said more words to her on the her first two days than this past two weeks. Honestly, Kris, you’re being petty. It’s not as if she had asked your father to hide who she really is.” the mother nagged.

Kris let out a sigh. “I know, mom.”

“Then why do you keep on ignoring her?” Hyoyeon frowned.

“I am not. It’s just that I don’t really know what to talk about when I’m with her. She’s from the yakuza. What do you expect me to say? ‘Hey, how much do you know about how a crime syndicates work? Can you give some names, preferably those government officials who are corrupting the people alongside the likes of your family?’” Kris rolled his eyes exaggeratedly. “We are too different, mom.”

“Perhaps. If you look at it that way. But hadn’t you considered that Seirin is just a girl who is trying to start a life, a different one from what she had been raised?”

“Maybe. But it’s who she is. And even I pretend not to know it, I just can’t help myself.”

Hyoyeon was silent for a few moments before sighing. “Look at this way, Kris. Seirin is just another person like you and me. Your father and I had taught you many things, and I’m pretty sure that differentiating work from your personal life is one of them. You can’t always view something from just one end. Everything has different sides to them. So does Seirin. Besides, she’s living with us. She’s practically like a sister to you.” she lectured.

Kris knows his mother is right. It’s just that every time he looks at Seirin, the fact that she’s part of Raijin always comes into his mind. He had read about Raijin before, and after he had known about Seirin affiliations with them, he reviewed some files again.

Joonmyun had been assigned to a Raijin case a couple of years before he married Hyoyeon. He was in Japan for more than a year and had been pulled out of the secret mission when complications aroused, endangering the agents. One file stated that Joonmyun was gravely injured and had to take a leave for a couple of months before being allowed to work again. However, after another 3 years at the agency, Joonmyun retired and chosen to be assigned on a lower department, the department he was holding at the present. He had also convinced Hyoyeon to resign when the latter had had given birth to Sehun, a year before he resigned himself.

The mission in Japan had been one of the lasts missions Joonmyun had made. But whatever had happened there is still a mystery to everyone but for those who were involved and the higher officials. Everything about it was confidential, the files could not be accessed easily. Kris had tried but failed to get to the files.

This fact only made Kris want to know more about the mission. And somehow, knowing that Seirin is linked to it makes him want to discover everything. Just how is Joonmyun related to Seirin’s clan exactly? And why would his father keep Seirin from Raijin after what happened almost 22 years ago?

Kris didn’t even know that he was lost in his thoughts when Seirin popped into the kitchen. She was wearing her usual loose thin pants and white t-shirt. Kris often wonder if the girl doesn’t feel hot at all for she always wear t-shirt no matter how hellishly hot the temperature was.

“Is there anything I can help with?” Seirin asked in broken Korean.

Sehun had been a little stringent with the ‘lectures’ he had been giving Seirin and the girl was a fast learner. She learned basic communication in her first week, and although a little slow with pronunciation and her grammar not exactly perfect, she could understand what someone’s saying most of the time; Sehun opted to using hand gestures when he talks to her.

“Oh, I thought you were studying, Seirin.” Hyoyeon replied with a smile.

“I learn better when I’m interacting with people. And it’s just not the same with Sehun around, it’s too quiet.” Seirin laughed.

True enough, whenever Sehun is teaching her, it would be not without a ruckus. The kid is just hyper.

Hyoyeon was silent for a moment, Kris continued cutting some more vegetables. Just then, Hyoyeon asked him to stop for a while and go for an errand at the grocery store.

“And bring Seirin with you.”

“Huh? Why? I can go on my own.”  Kris reasoned. It’s not that he really is avoiding Seirin, it’s just that he’s not sure how he’s going to interact with her when he’s avoiding conversations with her for the past two weeks.

“I know. But it’ll be a learning experience for Seirin. Didn’t she say that it’s easier to learn when she’s interacting with people?” Hyoyeon insisted.

“But-”

“Kris.” Hyoyeon suddenly cut Kris sternly. The look in her eyes clearly states that she won’t take no for an answer.

“Uh…I’m fine, really. It’s okay if you don’t want to take me.” Seirin said quietly.

Kris sighed. He didn’t meant to offend Seirin, and his mother is going to be mad if he refused. “Let’s go.” he said and washed his hands, drying them before going for the door.

Seirin only gave him a surprised look while Hyoyeon was grinning madly.

The ride to the grocery store was a short one, yet the silence made it seem like it was a rather long journey. Kris barely glanced at Seirin even as they went into the store and started gathering things from Hyoyeon’s hastily made list.

“Are you really that angry with me?” Seirin suddenly faced Kris, immediately halting the cart that was in between them.

Kris looked at Seirin’s serious face before keeping his eyes on the racks surrounding them. “What are you talking about? I’m not.”

Seirin barrowed her eyes on him. “Really? Then why don’t you ever talk to me?”

Kris let out a deep breath and stared back. Hyoyeon is right, he’s being petty and it’s high time that he get’s over it. Seirin might be a part of Raijin, but right now, she’s just a trying to live a normal life with Kris and his family. He should stop being prejudiced.

“Okay, fine. I might have been a little miffed about not knowing your background and my parents let you stay with us without breathing a word about it. But I had just talked with mom and from now on, I’d try to talk to you.” Kris stated.

A thoughtful look crossed Seirin’s face before a smile broke into her features.  “Were you scared about me being a yakuza?”

“What?! No! I wasn’t!” Kris denied vehemently.

“Really? Then why did you started avoiding me when you discovered who I am?” Seirin prodded.

Kris could see the laughter in her eyes, she’s clearly teasing him. He refused to take the bait.

“Look, just drop it okay? Sehun’s cheekiness is rubbing off on you. Stop hanging out with him.” Kris rolled his eyes, pushing the cart past Seirin. “Come on, it’s dinner soon.”

Seirin followed behind Kris as the latter checked and double-check the list his mother had given him. It wasn’t a long list and he was finished in no time.

He was going for the cashier when he realized that someone wasn’t following him. Turning around, a frown marred his face when a certain Japanese girl wasn’t there.

“Crap.” Kris muttered under his breath.

He mentally chastised Seirin for not staying behind him. The store is not that big but it would take him a few minutes to find her, longer if she’s looking for him too and moving around. Now, if only Seirin had a phone, that would be easier to locate her. He made a mental reminder to buy the girl one, for convenience sake.

Lucky for him, he didn’t have to look that far, he retraced his steps and sure enough Seirin was near the rack where lots chocolates and sweets were arranged. He briefly wonders if the girl is just as addicted with chocolate like Sehun. The two are similar in many traits and sometimes Kris is at loss with who’s influencing who.

He made his way towards Seirin and noticed that she was actually talking to two kids, and then she reached out to some chocolates at the higher shelves before giving it to the younger kid, a little girl about six. The two kids ran away happily after bowing to Seirin.

Hyoyeon’s words came back to Kris. Seirin is indeed just a person who wants to start over. Maybe he should really start viewing her in that light.

As Kris made his way to where, a familiar face beat him to her.

It’s that guy from Myeongdong again, Lay. And by the looks of it, Seirin is already quite comfortable with the guy. Well, Lay had been constantly visiting Hyoyeon’s studio for the past two weeks, and he had befriended Sehun and Tao, thus getting a little closer with Seirin too. Lay had been helping with Seirin’s Korean also, a reason why Seirin is learning fast.

To be honest, Kris doesn’t really care about Lay’s budding friendship with Seirin… well, fine, he does care a teeny-weeny bit. But it’s only because Lay has this ability to pop up anywhere unexpected, just like now, that makes Kris think that the guy is stalking Seirin around. In Kris’ defense, Lay did track Sehun just to find Seirin, so he thinks that his being suspicious is justified.

“Hey, why did you suddenly disappear?” Kris asked rather sternly as he approached.

Lay and Seirin had been talking and Kris didn’t miss how the look in Lay’s eyes had changed when he called for Seirin’s attention. It changed back so fast though that Kris dismissed it.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I was just… checking out some chocolates. And then these kids wanted some help. And Lay was here…” Seirin explained.

Kris acknowledged what Seirin had said and out of politeness, he slightly nodded his head at Lay. Lay grinned at him, showing that dimple.

“What’s up, Kris-sshi! Fancy meeting you here.”

“Yeah. I didn’t take you to be one to actually do the shopping.” Kris replied.

“Well, I had to. A friend is coming over next week and with all the work I hardly find a free time to buy food. I had a few hours today so I figured why not do the chore.” Lay answered. “Anyways, that invitation still stands you know, Seirin-chan.” he pouted at the girl.

Seirin smiled bashfully, “I’m sorry, Lay-san. I had been a little busy with work too. But Sehun wants to come over too, maybe we’d drop by your place when the school’s out. It’s practically the last week of classes and we’d be free soon. We’ll bring Tao along too.”

Lay’s face automatically lightened up, he’s practically beaming. “Really? Well, I’ll look forward to it! You too, Kris-sshi. Please drop by at the bar sometimes. You never know, interesting people drop by at my place most of the time.” Lay smirked suggestively.

Kris understood what Lay means, well, at least what he assumes Lay is saying. The dimpled guy did mention sometime in the past that his bar is somewhat a neutral place for all kinds of patrons. And by experience, Kris had learned that such area is one of the best place to gather information about anyone or anything.

Letting out his own devilish smirk, Kris accepted the invitation. Well, he might have reservations about Lay, but the guy might be useful in some ways. It never hurt to have connections, especially with the line of work Kris is about to put himself into.

Shortly after their small conversation, Lay had said his goodbyes. Kris and Seirin left too but instead of going straight back home, Kris made a short stop and bought something for Seirin.

Because he didn’t want Seirin getting lost again, he bought her a cellular phone. Though he’s never one to just buy anyone anything, he figured that Seirin needs one.

He didn’t know if Seirin would like the kind of phone he bought, he had no idea what she likes or dislike to be honest; an effect of avoiding her, but the delighted smile on Seirin’s face washed away his doubts.

The girl kept on fiddling with the new phone the whole way back home and even insisted on taking a picture with Kris before they got down from the car. Kris declined at first but Sehun must have been teaching Seirin his aegyo tactics, so he had no choice but to comply.

Once they were inside the house, Seirin immediately huddled over where Sehun and Tao were watching some cartoons in the living room. Kris shook his head when the three exchanged numbers first before ensuing a selca madness.

“So… I guess the little trip to the store was a bright idea?” Hyoyeon grinned when Kris started putting away the things he had bought. “I expected for you two to talk, but I certainly didn’t expect it to go this well. Not that I’m complaining.”

Kris rolled his eyes. “She got lost when we were on the store. So I figured she needs something that we can contact her with if something similar happens again. You did tell me to start acting like a brother to him. I’m just doing what I’m told.”

Hyoyeon grinned wider, leaning on her tiptoes and giving Kris a kiss on the cheek. “I always know that you’re a softie, Kris.” she ruffled his hair before sprinting towards the three in the living room, squealing to get a selca along with them too.

Kris could only shake his head even more, his mother could be like a child sometimes.

“So… you’ve finally gotten around with all this Seirin and the yakuza thing?” Joonmyun’s cheery voice had Kris sighing.

“Why is everyone so adamant about this?” Kris asked bewilderedly.

Joonmyun just smiled at him. “Maybe it’s because everyone just wants to live comfortably with one another?” he walked closer to Kris and patted his back. “Thanks, son. Please understand that I do have my reasons for keeping a few things from you. In time, I’ll reveal them all. Just, that time has yet to come.”

Kris smiled at his father, “It’s okay, dad. You don’t really have to. I know you have your reasons.”

“Stop being mushy, you two! Come and help us take a good picture!” Hyoyeon beckoned.

Joonmyun walked over and took hold of Seirin’s new phone, snapping pictures. Kris watched, amused as the others continued on posing in various ways as his father laughingly took pictures of them. Needless to say, dinner was filled with laughter and teases about the whole selca shenanigan, and Kris thought that they never had such a livelier dinner before.

Once dinner was over and Sehun had sent Tao off, Kris found himself on the front porch, enjoying the cool night breeze. The days had been getting hotter and hotter, and the cool nights are a huge relief.

“You know, that face would make kids cry for their mommies.” Seirin’s gentle voice broke into Kris’ reverie.

Kris covered being startled with a scoff. “Girls and guys alike drool over this face, just so you know.”

Seirin just laughed and for a few minutes, no one said another thing. They just both enjoyed the cool night air as they settled on the porch albeit not beside the other. Seirin occupied the lone chair on one corner whole Kris leaned on the low railing, practically sitting on it.

“Thank you, Kris.” came Seirin’s soft voice.

“Huh? For the phone? It’s okay. You needed it.” Kris dismissed, acting nonchalant.

“Well, that… and for everything else. I haven’t thanked you enough I guess. For saving my life and protecting me. And for accepting me as a part of your family. Or at least that’s what I assumed now that you are talking to me.”

The hope in Seirin’s voice is evident and Kris couldn’t bear to for it when in normal circumstances he would have. He doesn’t do drama. But he didn’t .

“I never disliked you in anyway, Seirin. I’m just a little awkward at times, so ignore it, okay?” he replied with a smile.

Seirin smiled back. “Well, I kind of figured that out really. And know what else I figured out?”

“What? Sehun’s a bigger prick than he really is? Trust me, you’ve never seen the half of it.” Kris grinned a bit, finally letting himself relax with Seirin being around. Just like what he told his mother, he’d start acting like a brother towards Seirin since she’s practically family now. And he’d start with treating her like one, although having a younger sister is going to be a new experience. He had never really pictured himself having a younger or older sister since the only people he’d been close to, like how close he is with Sehun, is Tao.

Seirin shook her head. “No. I noticed that you look more handsome smiling. I mean, it’s not that you’re ugly if you’re not, I must admit that I’d agree with what you said about both guys and girls drooling after you. It’s just I think you look more handsome with a smile on your face. I really like your smile.”

Kris is a bit surprised with Seirin’s words, especially with the honesty in her eyes. He was only teasing about what he said earlier of course, though he had his fair share of pickup lines and come-hither looks when he’s out and socializing with his friends.

What made him more bewildered though is how Seirin’s honest smile make something in him flutter, as if tiny winged creatures invaded his intestines and started squirming around, giving him goosebumps. He knows what it is, he’s felt it a few times before.

Shaking away those thoughts, he told himself firmly that he can’t start on feeling like that around Seirin.

She’s supposed to be your younger sister, Kris. Younger sister. Dongsaeng. Kris kept telling himself these words.


a/n: i need to wear my uniform to school this coming monday... and its kind of too tight for me already! this is why i hate being such a slob during summer! now i'm going to look like i'm gonna burst out of my own uniform! geez!!!

...anyways.. please comment! i want to hear from you guys! see ya around my darlings!