It All Comes Full Circle

Yakuza's Rapunzel

 

a/n: guys!!!! finally!! i found time to update!!! how great is that???

i still have a couple more of midterm exams so i will finish this one before i get caught up again!!!!

enjoy!!!


BANG!

Kris felt his heart stop, time seeming to be in slow motion as he watched Seirin fell to the ground, Chen’s arms over her, holding her protectively. The two of them were on the floor, unmoving.

In a split second, his shock turned into an uncontrollable anger, making him see red. With hands fast as lightning, thanks to years and years of training and his naturally fast reflexes and very good aim, he raised his hand and pulled the trigger of his own gun.

Another loud bang reverberated on the hallway, more deafening than the unending shots fired at the other end of the wedding venue. In span of a few seconds, three people were on the ground. Chen and Seirin were still unmoving, while Seirin’s uncle was lying with life drained away from his eyes wide-open with shock, a bullet hole decorating his forehead.

A slight movement from where Chen was still partly draped over Seirin had Kris dropping to the ground and tossing his gun beside him. He gently pried Chen away from Seirin, the guy groaning lowly, not that Kris cared that much. He was preoccupied with the blood soaking Seirin’s wedding gown, and how her face was so pale as she shut her eyes tightly.

Gently shaking her shoulder, Kris prayed to every deity he knows for Seirin to be okay. His heart was hammering so hard inside his chest that he briefly wondered if it would crack his ribs and jump its way out.

Seirin opened her eyes, confusion clouding them. Kris immediately pulled her into a tight hug, forgetting at the moment that she had been shot. He’s just glad that she’s still alive.

“Everything’s going to be alright, Seirin. I promise. I’m here now.” Kris murmured. If they were in any other circumstance, he would have basked in the beauty in front of him. His breath was taken away the moment he saw her standing on the altar, looking ethereal in that white wedding dress with her hair flowing like auburn ripples of water down her back. For a moment earlier, he had forgotten that she was about to get married to Chen, and not him. For a moment, his world had stopped, and that was all because of her.

And now she might be dying.

He needs to act fast. Every second counts. Every second that passes meant he’s wasting time and he might be losing Seirin forever.

“Come on, Seirin. We need to get you help fast!” Kris hovered, immediately missing Seirin’s warmth when he let go of her.

Seirin frowned, still looking confused. She looked down at the red patch on her wedding dress, furrowing her brows even further. “W-what… what happened?”

Kris frowned as well. “You’ve been shot.” he thought that Seirin might be in shock, causing for her to be disoriented and not feel the pain yet.

Seirin shook her head. “No. I… I’m fine.”

“What?” Kris asked, putting a hand on Seirin’s stomach were the dress was colored deep red. It was wet wit blood alright, but Seirin seemed to be not hurt at all. “But you’ve got blood everywhere.”

A low groan caught their attention and when they turned, it was only to see Chen slumped in a bleeding heap on the floor. He was clutching his own stomach. Blood was flowing from the crevices of his long fingers.

“No, no, no!” Seirin cried as she struggled to get over to Chen. She pressed a hand over Chen’s own, cradling his pale face with the other. “Stay with me, Chen. Please.” she cooed, caressing his face as tears ran down her cheeks. “Please, don’t do this.”

Chen slowly opened his eyes, smiling at Seirin weakly. His free hand made its way to Seirin’s cheeks and wiped away the tears, or at least he tried to. He was breathing heavily and his hands were trembling with fatigue.

“Kris, please help him. Do something, please!” Seirin begged, looking at Kris with tear-strained eyes.

Kris felt a little jealous at how Seirin is readily at Chen’s side even after all that had happened between them, but he knows that his stupid feelings need to take the back burner. A life was at stake here, and he needed to do something. He pressed the tiny audio device on his ear and asked for some back up and a medic, knowing that help would be on the way in no time. He crouched beside Seirin, ripping the hem of his own shirt and wrapping it on Chen’s wound tightly, hoping it would buy them time until the medic arrives.

Seirin was crying hard, begging Chen not to fall asleep.

“Shhh, Sei… it’s fine.” Chen groaned, still smiling despite the pain. His eyes were droopy and he looked like he would pass out any second, but he kept on smiling at Seirin, attempting to wipe away her tears once more but his hands failed him.

Seirin seized up Chen’s hand and put it on her cheek, “Chen… pleas stay with me. I’ll forgive you for every trouble you’ve caused me just… please don’t leave me. You know I can’t do it without you.” she sobbed, leaning her forehead on Chen’s chest.

Chen sobbed as well, grimacing in the pain that came along with it. He composed himself, at least tried to for Seirin’s sake. “You…you can live w-without me… Sei. You don’t n-need me a-anymore… K-kris…”

Kris could hear the silent words Chen was conveying as the latter looked at him. Take care of her, Chen is saying.

Seirin shook her head, cradling Chen’s face with both of her hands. “No, no. Please don’t say that. I’ll always need you. No one can replace you. You’re my best friend. Just h-hold on a little bit. Help is coming. Stop wasting your energy.”

Chen smiled once again and Kris felt something tug at his heart. How could Chen still smile brightly despite the pain he must be going through? Does he love Seirin that much to set aside the pain he was in just to reassure Seirin? Knowing that, Kris couldn’t help but to feel awed. Suddenly, he sees Chen in a different light. The guy was just as in love with Seirin as Kris was. There was no blaming Chen if he had gone to such lengths to keep Seirin by his side. And he was right; if it was Kris, he probably would have done the same thing.

A movement from the other end of the hallway where they had came from alerted Kris, making him draw his gun from the ground and aiming it towards the person. Or two.

It was Kai, Chen’s father, horror masking his face as he caught sight of his son drenched in blood. He immediately ran towards them and pried Chen away from a sobbing Seirin.

A distraught Joonmyun was following Kai, gun drawn and blood oozing from his left arm where a bullet must have grazed him. His face was contorted into a mask of worry when he saw the blood on Seirin’s dress.

“Jongdae! Talk to me! Don’t you dare die, you idiot! This is not part of the lessons I’ve taught you!” Kai yelled, frantic and seemed to be lost. He wiped the sweat rolling down Chen’s forehead, blinking hard to fight back the tears. “Jongdae, do you hear me? Hold on just a bit more. You can’t die, understand? I still have a lot of things to teach you. I promise I’d teach you how to dance like how you’d always wanted to when you were still a kid. And I promise not to laugh at your singing. Just please….” a sob tear its way out of Kai’s throat, followed by another, and another, until he couldn’t speak anymore. “Just please, son. You’re the only thing I have. Don’t leave me too…” he cried as he hugged Chen’s almost limp body to him.

Joonmyun hovered over the father and son, eyes trained on the crying Seirin beside Kai. Medics started to pour into the hallway, as well as armed officers. It suddenly dawned to Kris that there were no more gunshots and the only noise coming from the other side of the building were shouts from officers apprehending the clan members and those who were in the list of people to be arrested.

Everything had been planned out, the evidences compiled so the people they were going to arrest would have no reason to get away. The only thing that had gone wrong was Chen being shot. Even if Kris had hated the guy, he wouldn’t have wanted him to get hurt, at least not that hurt.

Soon, Chen was being loaded to an ambulance, his father getting in as well. The moment the ambulance was gone off to the hospital, Kris sought out the person he had came here for in the first place.

She looked battered and her white dress is patched with Chen’s dried blood. Her hair is a little bit in disarray and she looked like she would pass out at any moment, but in his eyes, she’s still the most beautiful person he had ever seen. It is now that he finally realized how he missed her so much that it hurts like a physical blow.

He walked over to her, halting a few steps before reaching her when Joonmyun approached, hovering beside her silently for a few minutes before taking a deep breath to calm himself as it seemed.

“Are you okay?” Joonmyun asked.

Seirin looked up to him, eyes still glassy with unshed tears. She stayed like that for a moment, a lone tear streaming down her cheek as another bout of crying started again. This time though, she was sobbing silently.

“Are you… are you really… my father?” she asked, sounding so torn and broken that Kris just wanted to take her in his arms and tell her that everything is over now and it’s all going to be okay.

Joonmyun smiled, nodding his head once in confirmation as tears started flowing down his cheeks too. It seemed like he wasn’t able to form words so he resorted to shutting his mouth and using actions instead.

“Then…t-then why didn’t you c-come back? For me? For mom?” Seirin sounds a little accusing, but who could blame her? She had been raised in this cruel kind of world when all she had ever wanted was to have a family that would love her. “Why did you leave her? Don’t you know how… she wanted to be with you.” Seirin sobbed. “I wanted to be with you.”

Joonmyun kneeled in front of Seirin and clutched her hands, crying. “I’m sorry… I really am. I…I didn’t know…” he cried out. “If only I can turn back time then I would do everything to get you both back… I am really sorry…”

“But it’s too late.” Seirin replied, head bowed low as tears soaked Joonmyun’s hands that were holding hers tightly. “Mom’s gone. And you already have a family of your own.”

“It’s not too late yet, Seirin.” Joonmyun looked up, hope and desperation evident in his eyes, “Come live with me. Come back to Korea with me. Raijin is gone. Your grandfather will be locked behind bars. You are free, Seirin. Come and live with me. With Hyoyeon. With Sehun and Kris.”

Kris stepped closer, putting a hand on Joonmyun’s shoulder as he gazed into Seirin’s teary eyes imploringly. “Yes, Seirin. Come live with us. This time, it would not be because you are running away from someone. This time, it would be because of your family.”

Joonmyun stood up and held a hand towards Seirin. “We are going to be a whole family now, Seirin. I promise I would do everything to keep you, to make up for the lost times because of my cowardice and stupidity.”

Seirin was still for a moment, crying silently as she looked at Joonmyun’s hand. Kris actually thought that she would refuse the offer, that she was angry at Joonmyun’s foolish actions in the past that she can’t find it in herself to forgive her own father. If she doesn’t want to live with them, then what would Kris do? He had not think of that possibility, he was focused on getting her back that he had not considered the fact that she might not want to go back to Korea with them. She had only gone there to run away from her grandfather after all, and now Raijin is practically gone. There’s no reason for her to go back.

Suddenly, Seirin was sobbing into Joonmyun’s chest as she hugged him tightly. Words were not needed; Seirin clearly accepts Joonmyun. He is her father, her family.

“You know, Hyoyeon would be ecstatic. She finally gets to have a daughter.” Joonmyun smiled through his own tears. “You don’t mind, do you?”

Seirin shook her head but kept it buried into Joonmyun’s shirt, Joonmyun hugging her tightly as he murmured sweet nothings into her hair.

Kris smiled, feeling relieved. The storm is over, and he gets to have her back.

Or that’s what he thought.

One of the officers came over to talk to Joonmyun, saying that Kai had called for him and it was an emergency. Apparently, Chen had lost too much blood and needed it to be replaced. And Chen is AB. Joonmyun is AB. There was nobody else they know to have the same blood type.

“We need to help him!” Seirin cried, pleading at her father. “Please, dad, help him! Save him!”

Joonmyun nodded his head, calling for a mobile car so they can get to the hospital fast. Looks like the storm is yet to pass, Kris thought. It wasn’t over yet after all.

A couple of hours later and they were restlessly waiting for the result of Chen’s operation. Joonmyun was resting on one of the private rooms after blood had been taken from him. After much prodding and convincing, Kris managed to drag Seirin into the room Joonmyun was in and made her rest as they waited for Chen’s operation to be over. She insisted to wait outside in the hallways but Kris wouldn’t have any of it. She did not sleep though even if she was lying on the duvet inside the private room where Joonmyun was in, preferring to look at the sun setting outside the window.

“Why don’t you sleep for a little while, Seirin? I’ll wake you up once Chen’s out of surgery.” Kris murmured as he sat down beside her. She looked so small and fragile that even if he wanted to comfort her with a hug, he’s kind of afraid he’ll break her.

Seirin sat up and scooted away from Kris, making the latter frown at the gesture. What was wrong? Has he done something? Why does it seem like Seirin doesn’t want to be around him?

“I’ll stay up until it’s over. And then I’ll rest once I’m sure he’s okay. I’ll be fine.” she stated in a monotone that seeped like cold ice into Kris’ very bones.

Seirin’s coldness is scaring him. It’s as if he had lost her forever.

“What’s wrong, Seirin? Did I do something? Why are you…” he trailed, scooting closer towards Seirin, only for the latter to stand up and take a step back.

“No, Kris. Please don’t.” Seirin pleased, eyes hooded and hazy. “Please don’t make it harder for me to let you go.”

Kris frowned. What is Seirin talking about? Why would she want to let him go? Why would she want to leave him still?

Before he could ask his questions though, a knock on the door distracted them. A nurse opened the door and peeked in, smiling tentatively before entering. “You asked to be informed when Mr. Kim’s operation is over? Well, he’s in the next room and resting now.” the nurse said and left with a bow.

Seirin was fast to react, leaving before Kris could ask his questions. He couldn’t do anything but to follow Seirin to Chen’s room. He needs answers. She was taken away from her before and it hurts like hell, he doesn’t want to go through that once again.

When Kris got into Chen’s room, Seirin was sitting on Chen’s bed, holding his hand and trying hard not to cry. How many more tears will Seirin shed before this day is over?

“You idiot! You almost gave me a heart attack, you know?”  Seirin reprimanded.

Chen smiled weakly, eyes closed. “I’m sorry.” he apologized, voice coming out hoarse and gravely. “At least… I still have a place… in your heart… for you to get angry at me.”

“Stupid.” Seirin sniffed. “There’ll always be a place for you inside my heart, Chen. Don’t you forget that.”

“Even if I betrayed you?” Chen asked, fighting hard to keep his eyes open so he could look at his best friend.

“I promised you, didn’t I? That I will forgive you for everything as long as you don’t die on me. So you can’t die, okay? Or I’ll hate you again. And it would be forever the next time.” Seirin sniffled like a kid.

A soft chuckle left Chen’s throat. “I love you.”

Seirin nodded her head instead of answering, tears falling from her eyes as she kissed Chen’s forehead. A single tear fell from Chen’s eyes, knowing that Seirin would never love him the way he wanted her to. He had to let her go, he knows that. It would hurt at first, but time will surely heal his wounds. She was clearly not meant for him. Then for sure, the one for him has yet to come. He just have to wait a little while longer.

“I have not thanked my savior yet…” Chen changed the subject. “Where is Mr. Joonmyun?”

“Dad is resting for a bit. He’d be up and about in a few hours, and he’ll surely visit you.” Seirin replied.

Chen nodded. “You might be wondering… about my dad. About him, and Mr. Kim, and your mom.”

Kris was just as interested as Seirin, confused to the whole story behind the three as well. He subtly walked closer, not wanting to disturb the silence draping all over the room.

“My dad… he’s an agent. He was your dad’s partner.” Chen said.

“I was more than that. We were brothers.” a baritone voice surprised the three of them. It was Kai. He walked towards the bed and stood facing Seirin. “I was your mother’s trusted friend… and I betrayed her.” he bowed lowly, “I am sorry.”

Kris remembered the hurt and betrayal Joonmyun had in his eyes when he talked about how Kai had betrayed him and Seirin’s mother. So this was Joonmyun’s partner. The one who had broken Joonmyun’s trust. And practically his heart.

“I knew about them, and I really wanted them to be happy. But I know that Raijin would not go for that. And it would either end up Suho being killed, or worse, both of them. So I purposely let your uncle overhear me that night, talking about their plans to escape. I admit that it was also a part of covering our tracks since Raijin was getting hints about the agency sniffing around them. We were far too involved into the operation that I just can’t afford to lose everything because my partner fell in love with my other friend. I was the one who told your mom to bargain with her father too, knowing that they would surely kill Suho if no one helped him. And believe me, I spent the last 21 years being drowned in my own guilt and nightmares.” Kai was crying now, keeping his head bowed towards Seirin.

“Is that why you told me to go to Korea and find my dad? So your guilt would be lifted?” Seirin asked in a cold voice.

Kai shook his head, “It was a hope to ease my guilt, but it was because I know that you deserve to know Suho. To know that you have a family. And I was already planning to break Raijin once and for all, this operation had gone for far too long. It needed to end and I’ve already got everything I needed to end it. I didn’t want you to get in the crossfire.”

“So you made my life a mess.” Seirin replied.

Kai was silent, Chen quiet as well.

Kris watched as Seirin stood up, Kai lifting his head a bit in confusion. A sharp crack resounded all over the room, Seirin’s hand raised as she heaved after slapping Kai on the face.

“I ought to hate you for making my life the living hell it had been. And for my parents’ too.” Seirin bit out icily, tears steadily streaming down her face. “But even if I kill you now, what happened has happened. Death would be a sweet punishment for you. You should suffer for the rest of your life, live a lifetime of guilt and remorse for what you’ve done.”

Kai bowed his head, crying silently in agony, not physically but inside. The guilt and burden evident in every apology he utters.

“I’m sorry, Chen, but I’ll talk to you later. I… I don’t think I could handle being here for the moment.” Seirin stated before going for the door.

“Seirin, I want to talk to you.” Kris called out but he was ignored. He sighed in defeat.

“Are… are you two fighting?” Chen asked after a few moments, his father leaving for the bathroom to fix himself up, the older man seeming to forgot that he had just been hit in front of his own son and Kris, and fully immersed into his own world of regret and sadness.

Kris looked at Chen’s, the revelation that the latter’s father had unraveled being set aside as he see how frail and week Chen looked. “Well… apparently she’s keeping her distance. I don’t even know why. There’s no reason for her to be afraid anymore. So I don’t understand why she’s keeping herself away from me. I mean, she had accepted dad’s offer for her to come and live with us! And I thought that everything’s finally okay and now…” he groaned in frustration, not even realizing that he was ranting on the person who had taken Seirin away from him in the first place.

A few minutes of silence and Chen chuckled.

Kris glared at him. “If you weren’t just on the brink of dying, I would beat you up, kid.” he threatened.

Chen shook his head, “Instead of wasting your time on me…why don’t you go after her instead? And explain things to her?”

“What the hell are you talking about?’ Kris frowned. “What am I going to explain to her when I don’t even have a clue of what’s happening?!”

A devilish grin appeared on Chen’s face, he closed his eyes, taking a deep breath and he looked like he was about to fall asleep. “Seirin just found out that Joonmyun is her father…”

“So?” Kris asked when Chen didn’t continue. “Don’t you dare sleep on me, Chen-chen or I’ll beat the out of you even if you’re barely gotten over being shot.” he hissed.

“She doesn’t know that you’re adopted…” Chen trailed. “I kind of purposely forgot to tell her that when I told her that Joonmyun is her dad…”

It took a few moments before everything clicked inside Kris’ head. And then he was out the door, closing it loudly that he earned a disapproving look from a nurse passing by. He had no time to apologize anyways because he was adamant with talking to Seirin. He needs to explain everything to her. She needs to know that she didn’t need to stay away from him. He’d deal with Chen’s craziness later, give him a proper beating for tearing Seirin’s heart in many ways.

When he went to his dad’s room, Joonmyun was already up, still a little pale but he was steady on his feet. Seirin was helping him nonetheless, concern evident on her face.

“Come on, now, Seirin. I’m fine. I’ll just go and talk to Chen and his dad for a bit. You stay here and rest, okay?” Joonmyun patted Seirin’s now messy hair.

Seirin tried to protest but Joonmyun made her sit on the bed. Seeing that Kris was also in the room, he gave instructions that Kris was not to let Seirin leave the room and make her rest instead, a task Kris gladly accepted.

Soon Joonmyun was out and silence permeated the room.

“Seirin, please listen to me.” Kris started, walking over to Seirin.

Seirin held out a hand towards him though, signaling him to stop. “Please, Kris. I told you before, don’t make this harder for the both of us. This is wrong and we need to stop this. Being with you is wrong!” she said, voice thick as she clearly try not to waver.

“It’s not wrong, Seirin. We are not wrong. For the life of me, you make everything right. I can’t live without you. So please just listen to me-”

“No, Kris. We can’t. I am so disgusted with myself because even though I know that I should, I can’t bring myself to regret everything that happened between us! But we need to stop! It is not right. We are sibli-”

Kris couldn’t take it any longer. Just thinking that Seirin wants to regret everything about them hurts. He can’t let her do that.

He held her hand and pulled her to him, pressing their lips together as he held her tight. She struggled for a bit, pushing him away, but he restrained her hands and held her even tighter, claiming the lips that he missed so much. It felt like a lifetime had passed since the last time they had kissed.

Seirin eventually stopped struggling, kissing him back instead. His heart ached when he noticed that she was crying. He knows that she was feeling torn about it, about him. Because she doesn’t know the truth.

Pulling away from her, he cupped her face lovingly, wiping her tears with his thumbs. “Look at me, Seirin.” he cooed, seeing that she was closing her eyes tightly as her tears kept on falling. “Open you eyes and look at me…”

Seirin did, and Kris smiled at her. He kissed her forehead and then her nose, her cheeks following next before he leaned their foreheads together. “I’m adopted. Joonmyun adopted me when I was four… so there’s no need for you to feel guilty, or bad, for being with me.” he explained in almost a whisper. “I love you, Seirin. There’s no reason for us to be apart. I will never let anything part us, okay? I promise.”

Seirin started crying once again at Kris’ words. She slipped her hands on his neck as she buried her face onto his shoulder, sobbing loudly.

“Oh, Kris… I missed you so much. I thought I was going to lose you forever. And then… and then I discovered I was Joonmyun’s daughter and it… I wanted to die. Even if I thought that you were my brother, I couldn’t help but love you…” she sobbed even harder.

Kris held her tighter, letting the tears fall from his own eyes. “Shhh… everything is alright now. I would never let you go. I promise.”

The sun was setting, casting the world into a reddish orange glow. As the day came to an end, Kris couldn’t help but to think that along with the closing of yet another day, this chapter of their lives is also closing. And tomorrow, they would be starting a new one. A new life. A life with their newfound family, their newfound happiness. And he couldn’t wait to start.

“I love you.” Seirin murmured, her sobs finally abating.

“And I love you too… more than anybody will ever know.” Kris replied, giving Seirin yet another love-filled kiss.

Yes. He can’t wait to start his life anew with Seirin by her side.


a/n: ooooooooppppppsssss..... still got the final chapter next!! it's sort of an epilouge...

wait!!! IT IS THE EPILOGUE!!!