The Best Friend

Yakuza's Rapunzel

 


Okay. To say that he’s a little jealous is the understatement of the century. And to know that he shouldn’t be feeling that way is just irritatingly annoying.
 

“Hyung, stop pacing around. You’re making me dizzy.” Tao groaned.
 

Kris sent him a glare, which the latter ignored, and Sehun chortled slyly.
 

“Oohh, someone’s jealous!” Sehun teased.
 

“Shut up, I’m not.” Kris growled lowly at his brother.
 

“I didn’t say it was you.” Sehun cackled, ignoring his older brother’s menacing stare. “Just calm down, Kris. They were just out to catch up with each other. It’s not as if they’re on a date or something.” he added patronizingly.
 

Kris gritted his teeth at Sehun’s teasing that clearly made sense. He knows that it’s the truth, Seirin was only out for the day with Chen because they haven’t seen each other for more than a month. And Kris understands that there’s a special spot in Seirin’s heart that is only meant for Chen. But that doesn’t seem to placate the jealous side of Kris that is rearing up it’s ugly face.
 

“I know that, doofus.” Kris bit back at his brother. “I’m just worried because Seirin is not supposed to be out with the case still not closed. And we all know her crazy grandfather is still out to get her.”
 

“I know. But weren’t you two out the other day? Why should this one make difference? Nothing happened back then, why should anything happen now?” Sehun asked with a straight face.
 

Kris is a little miffed, not by Sehun’s annoying straight-faced teasing, but because everything Sehun says makes sense. And what even annoys Kris more is the fact that he knows he’s thinking irrationally but still does, because at the moment he wasn’t really concerned at the fact that Seirin’s grandfather could go snatch her right that instant without anyone having something to do about it, but he’s preoccupied with the thought of Seirin and Chen spending day together.
 

Kris mentally chastised himself. Why is he being an overly jealous boyfriend? Wait, is he even the boyfriend already? He and Seirin did go out on a date, heck, they had even kissed and probably did more than that, but they had not officially named whatever was between them. They had planned to tell Kris’ parents, but everything is in a halt on the meantime because Seirin’s best friend is hogging her time.
 

Chen seems to genuinely care for Seirin, but Kris could see that there was something more between the two, something more deeper than friendship, and it’s not in a familial sense; the reason why Kris is somehow jealous. Kris is a man and he knows when another man feels something more for a woman, call it ‘man’s intuition’, whatever.
 

Maybe it’s the way that Chen looks at Seirin, or how he acts soft and caring towards her. Maybe it’s Chen subtly walks a little close to Seirin, or how he smiles like he had swallowed the moon or something when Seirin is talking to him. Kris can’t point it out exactly but he knows. Because Kris likes Seirin and it’s easy to see the signs; and Chen is showing the signs.
 

The soft humming sound of the studio’s glass door opening caught the three’s attention and in came Seirin who was laughing at something Chen had said. The two of them were speaking in rapid Japanese as they entered, clearly enjoying the other’s company.
 

“Noona!!” Sehun and Tao greeted.
 

“Oh, you’re here. Isn’t it closing time already?” Seirin smiled. “Where’s Miss Hyoyeon?”
 

“We were just resting for a bit. Mom already left, she told us to close up.” Sehun answered, “Hello, hyung. Did the two of you have a good time?” he asked Chen.
 

“Yeah, we did. You should have seen Seirin’s face when we went to the horror house. I think she worn out the sleeve of my shirt because she was holding it too tight.” Chen teased, earning himself an indignant smack from Seirin.
 

“Hey, you guys went to the amusement park and you didn’t even invite me. I’m hurt.” Sehun pouted.
 

Seirin just laughed at Sehun’s antics and promised to take him to dinner to make up for it. Sehun immediately lighted up with the proposition of free food, and Tao started using his aegyo so he would be tagged along too.
 

Kris sighed as Seirin giggled at the sight of two grownup teenagers pouting and blinking their eyes like puppies at her. “I hope you realize that you both look ridiculous and might probably make people think that we are running a mental institution instead of a self-defense school.” he rolled his eyes.
 

“Aw, does manly Kris wants to have dinner with us too but doesn’t want to ask?” Seirin teased with a huge grin. She walked over to Kris and linked her arm with his, smiling up at him. “ Don’t worry, Kris. I’ll take you out too!”
 

Despite the jealous mood he had fallen into earlier, Kris felt his heart skip a beat with Seirin’s attention and affection on him. He asked himself why he was jealous in the first place. Seirin had chosen him (and was their a competition in the first place?) and she was dating him. Chen is just a friend, the best friend. The two are like siblings, Kris tells himself.
 

“Please tell me that you’re not going to start making out in front of us now, because that would be really gross.” Sehun deadpanned.
 

Kris tolled his eyes at his brother, slipping his arm out of Seirin’s and holding her hand instead. “As much as I would like to, we are not as gross as you are, Sehun.”
 

Tao let out a loud gasp, gaping at Seirin and Kris. He pointed a shaky finger at them, mouth opening and closing like a fish’s as he tried to get the words out, “Y-you two are d-dating?” he stuttered.
 

Kris smirked at Tao’s bewildered reaction, pulling Seirin closer. “We are. I hope you were not planning on making a move on her, Tao. And if you did, well… too bad. I don’t share.”
 

Kris tried to gauge Tao’s reaction, his insides squirming with the prospect Tao liking Seirin. Tao is like another brother to him and he would hate to break his heart, intentionally or not.
 

“Of course not!” Tao replied indignantly, his face tinged with pink for a bit. “I mean I like Seirin, but not like that.”
 

Kris sighed inwardly, relieved. But something else popped into his mind and beckoned the uneasy feeling back. Chen.
 

There’s an indescribable expression on Chen’s face when Kris’ eyes landed on him. Kris is often told that the stoic look on his face is more intimidating than his scowl, and he knows it. And when he saw the cold blank stare on Chen’s face, he understands how people around him feels whenever they are looking at his face. It’s curiosity mixed with the need to look away at the same time, wondering what this person is really thinking with the cold blank look on his face but with deadly fire in his eyes.
 

“Sei, can we talk?” Chen finally asked after a whole minute of silence from him, that seemed to have been a long minute for Kris.
 

Seirin reluctantly let go of Kris’ hand and nodded at Chen, the two of them walking out of the studio but staying right in front of the glass doors. They started talking, Chen with a serious look on sharp-featured face while Seirin seemed to be confused.
 

Kris’ brows furrowed, desperately wanting to hear what the two outside were talking about, but thanks to the enforced glass doors he can’t even hear a sound; not that he would understand anyways since he bets his bottom dollar that every word that goes out to the two friends’ mouths were in Japanese.
 

“What do you think they are talking about?” Tao asked no one in particular.
 

“I think Chen-hyung is kind of arguing with her.” Sehun stated.
 

“Well, duh. The guy’s face is almost red.” Tao scoffed, “Why though? They were just okay earlier.”
 

“I think he’s upset that the two of you are dating.” Sehun told Kris.
 

“Why would he be? He’s the best friend. Isn’t he supposed to be supportive of this?” Tao frowned.
 

“I know. Unless…” Sehun trailed.
 

“Unless what?” Kris asked when his brother had not continued what he was about to say.
 

“Unless he likes her more than a friend.” Sehun mused. “Now that would be a problem.”
 

Kris’ brows furrowed at Sehun’s words. Should he be concerned then? Was his suspicions about the relationship between Seirin and Chen is not entirely just friendship? Or that there is a one-sided love at least?
 

Seirin was soon coming back in, her face a little down but she managed to smile at them. “Well, let’s close up now so we can get to dinner.”
 

Anyone else would have been fooled by the sweet smile but not Kris, and neither would have Sehun and Tao but the two did not say a thing and started to gather their stuff instead, much too eager to fill themselves with food. But Kris knows that something was bothering Seirin and the sooner he get it out from her the sooner would he be able to help her resolve whatever it was. He just hope that it wasn’t like what Sehun had said, and not what Kris is worried about; that Chen indeed like Seirin more than just a friend.
 

Taking the opportunity as Sehun and Tao went to the second floor to bring some things up, Kris took a hold of Seirin’s arm and brought her to a corner.
 

“What is it?” Seirin asked.
 

“What did Chen tell you? You look a little bit down when you came back in.” Kris asked, hoping that Seirin would only take the apprehension in his voice as mere concern as to what Chen had said and nothing more.
 

Seirin gave Kris a small smile but refused to look into his eyes, “It’s nothing really. You don’t really have to get concerned about it.”
 

“Well, if it had upset my girlfriend, I should be concerned, shouldn’t I?” Kris asked.
 

Seirin’s eyes snapped up and she gave Kris a bewildered look. “Girlfriend?” she asked.
 

Kris’s throat tightened and even if he doesn’t want to admit, his heart seemed to stop and beat a hundred times faster at the same time. True, they hadn’t official established their relationship but… they ARE in a relationship. At least that’s what he assumed. And having Seirin act so surprised when he called her his girlfriend is kind of making Kris nervous. Does she not like it? Did she thought that whatever it is they have is just some sort of play or something not serious?
 

“Well…you are my… girlfriend… right?” Kris bit his lower lip and one of his hands found it’s way to scratching the back if his head. He hates this subconscious reaction of his when he’s nervous.
 

A moment of silence and Kris was sure that Seirin would start laughing at his face and call him for an idiot that he is for assuming that they were in a serious and established relationship, or at least exclusively dating. He prepared for the humiliating feeling mixed with the heartache that was sure to come with it. But it never came.
 

Seirin did laugh, but it wasn’t the same as to what Kris had expected. She pinched his cheeks and squealed delightedly, telling him how cute he was being awkward and all. And the next thing Kris knew, Seirin had tiptoed and kissed the tip of his nose before hugging him tightly.
 

“Is just a word but it really makes me happy… being called your girlfriend makes me happy.” she sighed into his chest.
 

Kris grinned like a fool as he enveloped her in his arms. Well, now it is official.
 

They stayed like that for a few moments, grinning like fools. But Kris just had to know what Chen had told Seirin. “Well, are you going to tell me why you were a bit upset?” he asked.
 

He felt the sigh rather than heard it. “Well… Chen is just being petty.” Seirin said. “He asked me if I was really dating you and when I told him ‘yes’ he asked me if I knew what I was doing. Because having a relationship with you, I am risking you all with my grandfather’s wrath. I told him I knew that and I am trying to think of a way to get away from any possible trouble, and that your dad would help me, but he’s still not convinced.”
 

“He’s got a point, you know. Chen is just watching out for you.” Kris pointed out. It’s true and whatever he does, Chen’s words still makes sense.
 

“I know. But… when I’m with you, I’m happy. I’ve never been happy. It’s all because of my grandfather. The only remotely good thing that he ever did for me was setting me up for marriage, because that’s what sent me your way. And I’m not going to let you go.” Seirin said and buried her face more into Kris’ chest.
 

Kris felt the smile on his face get even wider at Seirin’s words. “And I’ll never let you go either.” he replied.
 

When Kris looked up from burying his face on Seirin’s hair, he locked eyes with Chen. Chen was outside the studio, leaning on a sleek black Sedan as he gave Kris and Seirin a blank look similar to Sehun’s, only a lot colder. Kris understands that Chen is being protective towards Seirin, but the guy should know that Kris is not just some pushover that would let Seirin’s grandfather take her away. And Kris silently told Chen that, giving him a determined glare.
 

They were only interrupted when Sehun and Tao came down from the second floor, Sehun faking a gag at the sight of Kris and Seirin in a tight hug while Tao squealed like a school girl. Then Sehun demanded to be fed so they all piled up into the cars, Sehun and Tao insisting to get a ride from Chen’s ‘awethome car’ as Sehun said it. Seirin rode on Kris’ car and the lot of them went into one of Sehun’s favorite place.
 

When Kris got out of his car and was about to went to the other side and open Seirin’s door for her, Chen beat him up to it.
 

Chen swiftly opened the car door and ushered Seirin inside the restaurant, a hand on Seirin‘s back that the latter didn’t even bat an eyelash to. Kris frowned when Chen gave him a smirk before disappearing inside as well. Kris knew the look. But he doesn’t understand.
 

Was Chen challenging Kris or something?
 

For Seirin?
 



“Didn’t I tell you not to let him get out of the country?!” Kai yelled into the phone, gripping it so tight that the device cracked a bit.
 

“I’m sorry, Kai-san. But you know that whatever your son had set his mind into happens. We tried to hold him back, but he still managed to get out of grips.” the man on the other line apologized.
 

Kai sighed, of course he knows what Chen is capable of. He had specifically raised his son to be one of the most cunningly clever people in the business if not the world. What did he expect? For Chen to sit back and only hear news from that best friend had lost through a friend? Chen is crazily in love the girl! Of course he would go after her.
 

“Fine. Just… let him be for a moment. Keep your distance or he might go and decide to take Seirin to another continent or something. We all know Chen is going to do that if we give him a chance. Just make sure that he won’t be in trouble.” Kai instructed.
 

“Yes, Kai-san. We will update you if anything happens.” and with that, the line was cut off.
 

Kai put the phone back to the table and picked up a black-and-white printout picture of a familiar old man surrounded by several middle-aged men, bodyguards. The picture was taken as the old man was going down from his private plane, his adopted son just a few steps after him as they both left their transport. Kai scoffed, tossing the picture back on top of his desk.
 

“Just wait old man. I’m going to tear you down.” he muttered before taking his cellular phone out of his pocket and dialing a number. The he called answered just after a few rings.
 

“Sir?” the man from the other end of the line asked in that professionally blank tone.
 

Kai kept on glaring at the picture on his desk as he gave his instruction the person he talking to through the phone. “The dragon has left his post. It’s time to take the gold.” he said.
 

“Right away, sir.” the man replied before the line went dead with a click.
 

“You won’t know what hit you, Kurosaki-san.” Kai said before lighting the picture in fire and tossing it to the metal bin to burn.
 


a/n: begging for comments... haha

see ya around!