Matter of Convenience

Yakuza's Rapunzel

a/n: let me share with you how happy i am now that these derps finally made thier comeback!!

and oh my effing god! guys, i know you love EXO as much as we all do! but do be careful when interacting with them! dang! Luhan got pushed again i heard! oh my LULU! come here and let me kiss anything that hurts better!


Seirin felt like squirming on her seat as a pair of brown eyes deliberately stares at her.  It’s like she’s on a hot seat, and it’s before an 19 year old boy nonetheless! She had never felt so conscious of herself before.
 

“Sehun, stop staring and eat!” Hyoyeon reprimanded.
 

Sehun, Hyoyeon and Joonmyun’s youngest son who happened to be as tall and lanky as Kris, and not to mention have that same stoic expression on his face until he speak (oh the lisp is so cute!, Seirin thinks), huffed and poked his food, put some into his mouth, chewed, and went back to staring.
 

“She’s not part of the dinner menu, Hun. Stop ogling.” Kris smirked.
 

“I am not! Jeez!” Sehun pouted. “It’s just since I’d be imprisoned here at home for a week because you got me grounded, I better check out noona here who’s going to be around indefinitely.” he sent a dirty look at Kris when he mentioned being grounded.
 

“Dude, that just sounded so wrong.” Kris made a face.
 

Sehun’s face turned a pale pink. “I didn’t mean it like that!”
 

“Boys.” Hyoyeon reprimanded once again.
 

“Uh… is there something wrong?” Seirin asked, looking at Hyoyeon. For the life of her, she had not understand a word the siblings had uttered.
 

“Nothing, dear. They were just teasing each other. Anyways, I know you’re tired after what had happened all day. So after dinner, you can use Kris’ room for the night. We’ll talk about your accommodations tomorrow.” Hyoyeon gave her a soft smile.
 

“I heard my name being mentioned. What did you tell her?” Kris asked, reverting to English.
 

“Nothing you should be too concerned about. She’ll use your room for tonight. You can sleep with Sehun. Or the couch. Your choice.” Hyoyeon replied with a shrug.
 

“You’re giving away my room?” Kris practically shrieked.
 

“Dude, you’ve just sprayed saliva on me.” Sehun grimaced, wiping some rice off his face.
 

Seirin absentmindedly handed Sehun a napkin. “Uhm, I can sleep on the couch. It’ll be fine. I’ve slept somewhere worse.”
 

“Nonsense, Seirin-chan. You’re going to sleep comfortably tonight. You need to rest so that wound of yours could get better as soon as possible.” Hyoyeon insisted. “And you, stop whining. You can get your room tomorrow night once we fixed the extra room.” she snapped at Kris who was glaring at her.
 

“Why does it have to be my room anyways?!” Kris still kept on.
 

“You want her to stay in Sehun’s abomination of a room?” Hyoyeon asked.
 

“Hey!” Sehun yelped indignantly.
 

“Besides, your room is the only one with a bathroom. She can use the privacy! Kyah! So this is how it is to have a daughter!” she squealed in delight.
 

“Mom!" Kris whined at his mother’s antics.
 

Seirin just watched at the family’s quite silly behavior, noting how Joonmyun was the only silent one. She glanced at him, seeing that he’s got a small smile on his handsome face as if he is actually fond of the almost-chaotic scene playing in front of him. She doesn’t even understand why but her lips quirked up at the sight of Joonmyun’s twinkling eyes. She wish she also have a family like his.
 

“Uhm, Mr. Joonmyun…” Seirin bit her lip before sending Joonmyun a small smile. “Thank you. For everything.”
 

There was this strange look on Joonmyun’s eyes as he smiled back at Seirin. It was as if he was seeing someone else other than her. But Seirin didn’t pry. It just felt like it wasn’t her place to do so. And the fact that Joonmyun’s soft smile makes her feel warm and comfortable just made her feel like not breaking the serenity of the moment.
 

“I’m just happy to be able to help.” Joonmyun replied.
 

“Anyways.” Hyoyeon said after her little bickering with her two sons. “As soon as you’re finished, Seirin-chan, I’ll help you clean up yourself. Where’s your luggage by the way?”
 

Seirin mentally groaned, closing her eyes with a sigh. “It was on that car. Oh my, I just remember that everything I have brought was on my backpack.”
 

“Oh no, what should we do? That car was brought to the junkshop already.” Hyoyeon gasped. “Kris, did you manage to retrieve Seirin’s things from the car?”
 

“Uh, no. I guess I forgot, what with everything that happened. I’ll call the shop and ask them if they managed to salvage it.”
 

Hyoyeon reiterated Kris’ words to Seirin. Seirin mentally sighed. The language barrier would be the biggest task she needed to get over. She can’t keep on relying to Hyoyeon or Joonmyun for translation.
 

All of her worries were put aside for a moment when Hyoyeon had helped her to Kris’ room, lending her some clothes to change into. When she went into Kris’ bathroom, she was surprised with the amount of cosmetics lining the counter. She briefly wondered if Kris is actually a girl trapped inside a grown man’s body but she didn’t dwell on it for long, preferring to marvel at the warm bath and how it soothes her tired muscles.
 

After a long hot shower, she went out of the bathroom donned in one huge white shirt and light baggy pants which Hyoyeon had given her earlier.

She contemplated on diving to the bed and sleeping in for the next two days but she decided to restrain herself; it wasn’t her bed after all.
 

Kris’ room is just about the size of her room back in Japan, thought the dark colors are definitely different from her pastel ones. His room is unusually clean and neatly arranged for a male, not that she had been into many males’ rooms before but she had viewed males to be untidy in general. Heck, even Chen would throw things her and there without a care in the world, and the guy is meticulous in many ways.
 

Oh, Chen. Seirin could only imagine how worried her best friend was for her at the moment. She wants to call, to tell him that she’s okay, as okay as she could be at the moment. She wants to tell him that she’s actually alive and had not died and vanished or something. But that would have to wait for a little while. She needed to sort things out first, test the waters and prepare herself for whatever her grandfather might do with her escape.
 

A knock on the door temporarily got her attention, and when she opened it, Kris was standing outside, tiredness evident on his face.
 

“Uh, hey. I hope I didn’t disturb you from sleeping or something.” Kris scratched the back of his head.
 

“Oh, no! I had just finished cleaning myself up. I hope you don’t mind me using the bathroom. I only used little of the soap and shampoo. I promise to buy you a replacement once I got money.” Seirin blurted adamantly.
 

“No, no. It’s fine.” Kris shook his head. “Uhm… well, I need to get changed as well and if you don’t mind…”
 

Seirin feels embarrassed and immediately opened the door wider, slipping out. Using Kris’ room even for just a night is so inconvenient. He’s still a guy after all! And it had only been a few hours since they had met! But there she was, using his toiletries, using his room, and was about to sleep on his bed. Talk about awkward!
 

“I’m sorry!” she apologized. “I’m really being an inconvenience. If you want I could go tell your mom that it’s really okay for me to sleep on the couch tonight. You’ve already done so much for me.”
 

“No, it’s fine really. It’s just for the night anyways. I don’t mind.” Kris declined. “Just give me a few minutes to clean myself up and you can go to sleep.”
 

Seirin still wanted to protest but Kris was already closing the door behind him. She sighed and went to wander around the house until Kris finished with his business. She found herself loitering around the living room and looking at pictures adorning the walls and cabinets.
 

“Noona! You’re still up!”
 

Seirin jumped at the voice. She turned and was greeted by Sehun’s now-familiar cute eye-smile. She sighed a bit and smiled at the boy.
 

“Uhm, did you need something?” she asked slowly in English. There was no one to translate for her.
 

Sehun looked like he understood but he was silent for a few moments, muttering a bit. And then he pointed to himself, “Snack. Make… me. Snack.” he blurted in broken Engrish.
 

“Snack?” Seirin frowned a bit. “You want some snack?”
 

“Yes!” Sehun nodded excitedly and without other inhibitions, he dragged Seirin to the kitchen. “Noona, feed me.” he said and rubbed his flat stomach.
 

Seirin frowned a bit. They had just dinner not more than two hours earlier yet the kid is hungry again. But she didn’t say anything, not that they’d be able to communicate with words anyways, at least not yet. She went to rummage the counters and refrigerator to make something for Sehun. She found some jelly and butter, and then loaves of bread. Perfect. There was only one thing she can do that is edible, and that’s old school jam and butter sandwich. She doesn’t know how to cook for the life of her.
 

Once she was finished, she handed the sandwich to Sehun who happily started munching on it. She took a glass and poured the boy some milk.
“Kamsahamnida!” Sehun beamed.

 

“Eh? Kamsa-what?” Seirin asked with a small smile. “What does it mean?”
 

“Kamsahamnida. Thank you.” Sehun replied.
 

“Oh. Okay. It’s thank you.” Seirin nodded. Well, this could work. She could ask Sehun to teach her Korean. At least the most basic. She pointed at the plate where the rest of the sandwiches were. “What’s this?”
 

Sehun gulped before answering. “Cheopsi.” then he started waving his hand. “Anniyeong haseyo. Hello.” he said.
 

“Hello… anniyeong haseyo. It means hello.” Seirin confirmed.
 

“Neh. Yes!” Sehun nodded. He pointed at Seirin. “Noona.” then himself. “Dongsaeng.”
 

“Oh! I kept on hearing that ‘noona’ thing. So that does mean I’m your noona?” Seirin asked in which Sehun nodded his head as an answer. “And you’re dongsaeng?”
 

Sehun’s lips quirked to the side, making a ‘thinking’ face. “Uhm… I am…your… dongsaeng… younger. Me, younger. Dongsaeng.”
 

It took a few moments for Seirin to understand the broken English. “Oh! You’re my dongsaeng. You are younger than me! Okay I get it.”
 

Sehun smiled widely. “Uhm… oh! Kris! Hyung.”
 

“Kris… hyung? What’s ‘hyung’?”
 

“Older! Hyung. Older.”
 

“Oh, so hyung is for someone who is older. Okay. So it’s Kris-hyung.”
 

“Ani!” Sehun shook his head. “Me, Kris. Hyung. You. Oppa. Kris. Oppa.”
 

Seirin made a face, telling Sehun that she didn’t understand.
 

“He means that since Kris is older, then he’s your oppa. A girl calls an older boy ‘oppa’.” someone explained.

Seirin turned and was greeted by Joonmyun’s amused face. “I see that the two of you are already getting to know each other.” he said as he walked towards the table where Sehun and Seirin were having an impromptu lesson. “And I see that Sehun is being a glutton as usual.”
 

Seirin chuckled a bit. “He asked me to make him a snack. I guess he was hungry. Were we being loud? I’m sorry.”
 

“No, it’s fine. So this kid is teaching you Korean?” Joonmyun asked.
 

“What are you guys saying? I can’t understand a thing.” Sehun pouted over the sandwich on his hands.
 

Joonmyun just chuckled a bit. “Nothing. What are you teaching her anyway? For a college student, your English is horrible.”
 

“It’s not as if your English is perfect, dad.” Sehun whined. “I could beat your in English anytime.” he said smugly.
 

“My English is perfectly passable.” Joonmyun replied. “Now finish that up. It’s getting quite late. Why did you drag our guest here when she should have been resting already?” he reprimanded lightly.
 

“I didn’t! Noona was in the living room when I came down for a snack!”
 

“I heard noona. So I’m assuming you are talking about me?” Seirin inquired with a smile as Sehun continued pouting while he eats.
 

Joomyun chuckled lightly before sending Sehun up the stairs. Seirin felt a little awkward being along in the dining room Joomyun. They are practically strangers. This man, she only sought him out to ask for a favor, an escape. For how long she’d be staying with his family, she didn’t know. But one things for sure, she’d be leaving them too, one way or another. The only permanence she had grown up with was her grandfather, someone she would gladly lived without. Every other thing, except Chen, they all disappear in no time. They always leave… or she always does the leaving.
 

Strangely enough, being near Joonmyun is quite… relaxing. Maybe it’s because of his warm aura, his kind face, or the soft smile he sends her more often than not. She can’t point her finger on it, but she’s pretty sure that whatever it is, it actually kind of lessens the awkwardness.
 

“So, I know you might be tired but I just want you to know that I have contacted some people I know.” Joonmyun started, smiling a little.
 

Seirin looked at him, wondering what he was talking about. He gestured for her to sit and she did as Joonmyun took the seat opposite to hers.
 

“We both know that your grandfather would be after you and he’d probably catch up with you faster than what we expect.” he continued, a glum look in his eyes. “That is why I decided to get you some place where no one would actually expect you to be when he does came looking. That’s what you want, right?”
 

“Yes!” Seirin replied rather excitedly. “Yes, that is what I want.” she said in a softer tone.
 

“Good. At least we are on the same page. I understand that you are going to avoid going back to Japan unless you want to, right?”
 

“Yes, that is right.”
 

“Then,” Joonmyun said as he took a piece of paper inside his pocket and handed it to Seirin. “This is where you are going to stay once he does find out that you flew here. It’s a small place near the coast, easy access to boats if he manage to find out you are there. Though I doubt that he’d be looking for you there since that place is practically on one end of the country near the border. The last time I checked, Raijin avoids getting in conflict with the north.”
 

Seirin’s blood turned cold at the mention of the clan. She repressed herself from shivering and focused on the information written on the paper.
 

“For the next few days though, you can stay here. As we’ve told you, you can stay indefinitely. Hyoyeon is craving for company. Sehun practically needs someone to feed him once in a while when my wife and his brother isn’t around to give him food. And Kris… well…” Joonmyun just shrug with a smile.
 

“Actually… I wouldn’t have minded if you had just helped me to find a hotel or something, a cheap apartment, perhaps. I’ve got money, well, at least it’s enough to rent a small room. And I can find a job.” Seirin asserted. “It’s much of an inconvenience, me being here. I even had to bother Kris for his room.”
 

“Perhaps.” Joonmyun nodded. “But I wouldn’t have felt at ease knowing that your grandfather could easily drag you back against your will without me knowing if you are not under my roof. You came to me. You asked me to save you. And I will try my best.”
 

Joonmyun’s words almost made Seirin tear up a bit. She might be some tough- yakuza heir, but deep inside, she knows she’s a soft cookie despite the tough exterior. Knowing that someone actually cares made her feel warm inside. Somehow, the warmth Joonmyun is emanating is different from Chen’s. Maybe because with Chen back in Japan, even if he tells her over and over again that he would make her safe, she had never felt that at ease. Her grandfather was always around, a shadow that she could never shake off. But Joonmyun, in a different country miles away, even if they had just barely met, the security he offers is more than just the actual  words. And she actually feels safe.
 

Seirin didn’t even notice that they were silent, and it wasn’t actually that awkward of a silence, until Joonmyun’s soft baritone resounded all over the dining room.
 

“The picture… do you still have it?” Joonmyun asked.
 

“I do. It’s on the bag.” Seirin replied, briefly wondering if she’d ever be able to retrieve her bag. Everything she had, money and all, is there.
 

“Your…mom… and I… that picture… I never actually thought that I would see one of that once again. There were only two copies. And that one… did you tear it up?”
 

“No. It was already like that when it was… given to me.” Seirin remembers how it seemed to have another person in it. She wish she could see the picture right now so she can check. “You and mom…the two of you were close. Right?”
 

Joonmyun seemed lost in his thoughts for a second before he nodded. “We were. We might have been from different backgrounds but we got along well. She was the only other person I trust my life with when I was in Japan.”
 

Seirin could see that there was still fondness in Joonmyun’s eyes as he talk about her mother. Maybe it was the same for him and her mom like how it is for her and Chen. The only person she would trust his life is Chen.
 

“How did she… how did she die? I didn’t actually hear from after I went back to Korea. And it was about 22 years ago. All I heard is she had passed away.”
 

“She died a little after my 7th birthday. It was some kind of sickness she harbored while pregnant with me. I don’t really know nor did I want to know. I don’t really want to remember her when she was so sick to even take care of me. I prefer the happy memories. They are all I have that kept me going all this while.”
 

Silence permeated the air once again, neither of them actually knows how to break it; nor they wanted to break it really. It was some kind of a moment dedicated to a significant person in their lives, a moment to remember her.
 

A soft knock on the wall had them stirring from their trance. It was Kris, hair still a little damp from shower while wearing a loose grey pants and plain white shirt.
“Did I disturb something?” Kris asked.

 

“No. I was just talking to her about some things.” Joonmyun said and stood up. “Is there anything you want?”
 

“Uh, well, you can go rest now. I changed the sheet while I was up there so don’t worry about sleeping on mine.” Kris turned to Seirin. “And the shop called and they said that they have your bag, though it was little ruined, but your things are trash, the clothes that is. You might need a new wardrobe.”
 

Seirin nodded her head in understanding. “Thank you.”
 

“Sure.” Kris replied. “Just… since we are talking about wardrobe, don’t mention anything about that around mom or she’d drag you to shopping. And trust me, you don’t want to go shopping with her unless you’ve conditioned yourself as if you’re going to war.”
 

“She’s that deadly huh?” Seirin chuckled.
 

“Yeah.” Kris nodded. “I’d offer to help you out but I’ve got classes half of the day tomorrow. Sehun’s free though and I think he won’t mind showing you around.”
 

“Oh no! It’s okay! I’ll be fine on my own! It’s just shopping for some clothes. You’ve already done so much! I can’t possibly ask for more.”
 

“Dad’s practically adopted you for the time being so it’s okay. Besides, you don’t even know a word in Korean. How are you going buy yourself anything?” Kris asked matter-of-factly.
 

“I do know a word or two!” Seirin defended.
 

“Oh yeah?” Kris challenged.
 

Seirin never backed away from a challenge. She’s yakuza blood after all.
 

“Uh-huh. Well, I know… anniyeong…hashe..hesayo?” she fumbled with her words. “And kamsa… kamsahamnida!” she finished with a grin.
 

“And you expect people to understand you because you can say ‘hi’ and ‘thank you?” Kris deadpanned.
 

“Of course not! Those are not the only words I learned!” she said before racking her brains a bit to remember the words Sehun had taught her earlier. “What was it about you again? O…oppo? Oppa? Yes, that one. Kris-oppa. Sehun said to call you Kris-oppa.” she beamed. “It might take time but I’m a fast learner. I’ll learn the basic in no time, Kris-oppa.”
 

Seirin doesn’t get it but what seemed to be a blush blossomed on Kris’ face before he excused himself, muttering something about ‘fine, do what you want.’ before he trudged up the stairs.
 

“What did I do?” Seirin asked Joonmyun who had been watching them for quite a while.
 

Joonmyun just smiled. “You know, you should know something about Kris. He’s a softie when it comes to girls.”
 

“Eh? What’s that supposed to mean?”
 

“I should have told you but I forgot. When you call someone ‘oppa’, it doesn’t only mean that he’s your older brother or an older male.” Joonmyun explained. “Oppa is also used for referring for someone as your boyfriend.”
 

Seirin’s jaws hanged. So basically, she had just referred to Kris as… boyfriend?
 

Joonmyun soft laugher faded as the man made his way up the stairs, leaving he still-dumbfounded Seirin to gather her thoughts.
 

Shaking her head, Seirin made up her mind. She needs to learn Korean as soon as possible, as fast as she could. This language barrier is irking her.
 

“And no calling Kris ‘oppa’!” she told herself determinedly.
 


 

The younger male put the phone back in his pocket after ending the call he made. He turned towards the sleek wooden table near the window, the only thing that separates him from the older man sitting on the swivel chair, facing the huge glass windows that lets in stream of bright moonlight to illuminate the rather dim room.
 

“Did she find him?” the man sitting on the chair asked, his voice low and rich.
 

“Yes. Though she had been in quite a little trouble on the way. But she did find him.” the younger man replied.
 

There was a little bit of silence before the younger man let go of his inhibitions a little, itching to know what was on the older man’s mind. He couldn’t help it if he cares genuinely for the person that this man had sent away, well at least helped to be sent away; the older man practically gave that person the needed ‘push’ to leave.
 

“What will happen now?” the younger man asked, voice as impassive as he could manage even though he was a little antsy inside.
 

“We will see. Soon.” the older man replied. “The game has resumed after being on a freeze for a couple of decades.” he slowly turned around, the chair making the slightest noise. His tan face was briefly illuminated by the moonlight, the lines on his handsome face a little clearer under the bluish glow of the moon. There was an impassive look on his face, but it all dissolved into an amused smirk after a moment, “The pieces are moving. Let the games begin again.”
 


a/n: who wants to guess who the two people are in the last part???? hehehe

             and oh! Sehun you are so cute! if only i can learn Korean from you too!

             but , Kris-oppa... you can teach me!!

Kris: maybe next time.