Rapunzel

Yakuza's Rapunzel

a/n: and the drama begins... mwahaha


 

She had expected it. But she supposed that she wasn’t prepared enough.

She wonders what would have happened if she had not run away. All the drama for the past month wouldn’t have happened, that’s for sure. She would have avoided being shot on her first day in Korea, and getting beaten multiple times. But then again, she wouldn’t have met the family tha t had taken her as their own. She wouldn’t have met Joonmyun and felt what it is to have a father since she had never known who her father was. She would have never remembered how it is to have a mother, and that is thanks to Hyoyeon. She would ha ve never known the feeling of being an older sister to anyone, and Sehun and Tao had taught her that. And she would have never discovered how it is to trust your heart to someone; she would have never met Kris.

Her phone let out a small sound, and when she opened it, there’s a message from Chen. She let out a sad smile as she finished reading the message, thinking that if she had never left Japan, then Chen wouldn’t have been involved as well. She’s still not sure as to how much her grandfather knows about her friendship with Chen, but at the rate that things are going, there’s a pretty huge possibility that her grandfather would be associating Chen with her escape and jeopardizing Chen’s family and business. Wow, such a great friend she is.

Chen must have thought that she had not read his message because her phone rang a few minutes later.

“Chen.” she greeted quite glumly. Even if she wanted to sound positive for Chen’s sake, she just couldn’t bring herself to.

Please dont tell me youre already giving up, Sei. Chen sighed. You know Ill do everything I can to help you. I wont be able to do that if youve already given up. Your grandfather still hadnt dragged you back to Japan. And even if that happens, I would be chasing after you. You know that, right?

“Thank you.” she could only answer. What else can she say?

Dont sound so unmotivated, Sei. Please. For everyone who is sure trying to help you. Chen’s voice is soft and she could easily picture the gentle look in his features as if they are talking face to face. Dont give up just yet for me. We can still do this.

She could feel tears threatening to fall from her eyes and she’s a bit thankful that she was the only person in the kitchen where she had lodged herself the whole afternoon. She doesn’t want anyone to see how broken her spirit was right now, ever since last night when she realized that her grandfather almost had his clutches on her. Joonmyun’s news earlier at noon when he woke her and Kris up, had only managed to crush her hope a little more.

Sei? Are you still there? Chen asked.

She gulped a little to clear . Chen’s right, she can’t give up just yet. She hadn’t figured out what she’s going to do next, but she still got a chance. Joonmyun had devised a plan for her, it’s not over yet. “I’m still here, Chen. And… I won’t. I won’t give up just yet. You’re right.”

Of course I am! Im Chen, remember? Chen cheered up a bit more. I got a plan. Im not sure if it would work, but I got something. Just trust me, okay?

“You know I always do, Chen.” she replied.

Someone had started talking to Chen on his end of the line so they had to cut the call short. And once again, she was alone. She had always been alone and she had learned to embrace the solitude. But every since she came to Korea and met everyone, being alone is suffocating.

There was a light knock on the wall that startled her a bit.

“Hey.” Joonmyun smiled. “I hope I wasn’t interrupting anything.”

Despite being down, Seirin smiled. “No. Kitchen walls are not conversationalists in nature so…” she shrugged.

Joonmyun chuckled and he made his way to the island counter. He started rummaging the cabinets and a few minutes later, he had water boiling, a couple packs of ramen in hand. “Hyoyeon won’t be coming home until later and I’m kind of hungry. Want to eat with me?” he offered with that gentle smile of his.

“Well, I hope Kris did not acquire his cooking skills from you. His ramen is inedible most of the time.” she replied with a grin.

“Oh, but that’s because he had always depended on his mom when it comes to food. That, and take outs. I, on the other hand, had to teach myself how to cook. I had to live on my own before I got married and back then I was so poor and couldn’t afford eating out that much.” a nostalgic smile appeared on Joonmyun’s face.

Seirin just watch as Joonmyun finished cooking the ramen and served two bowls. Soon, they were sitting opposite to each other, Joonmyun rubbing his hands and his lips as he looked at the food he made.

Seirin just can’t believe that she had met such a kind person. She’s grateful, and thankful, that he had been sent her way; or that she had been sent his way, technically.

“About earlier…” she started, biting her lower lip for a moment and avoiding Joonmyun’s curious look. “About Kris being in my room… well… nothing happened. Between us, I mean.”

Joonmyun was silent for a minute, when he looked back up at Seirin, there was understanding in his smile. “I trust you and Kris. And I really don’t mind if you are dating. Just… well, I hope you do have limits about your relationship.”

Seirin blushed, looking down on her bowl of ramen. She knows what he means and she wonders what Joonmyun would say if she told him about that night after Kris’ graduation. Not that she’s really sure that something happened, or that she remembers at all.

“W-we… we just started dating and t-that is still far from our minds. I assure you.” she stuttered, feeling her face heat up even more.

There was an awkward moment before Joonmyun chuckled, “My, this is more awkward than that time I had the ‘talk’ with the boys.”

Seirin giggled at how Joonmyun’s face had also turned red. “I wish I have a family like yours, Joonmyun-shii.”

Joonmyun laughed, “Even with Hyoyeon always nagging about everything? And Sehun whining every moment he can? And with Kris being lazy most of the time?”

Seiring laughed with Joonmyun. “It’s their charm, really. I never knew how it is to grow up in a real family, but you guys showed me that.” she sobered up and started reminiscing how she had been living her life ever since her mom had passed away. A melancholic smile passed her lips. Her life had been really lonely until she came to Korea.

“You don’t look too happy to me…” Joonmyun pointed out.

Seirin shook her head. “I was just thinking…” she sighed. “When I was a kid I used to like fairytales. Mom would tell me stories. As I grew up, I realized that somehow, my life is like one fairytale story.”

“Really now? And what would that be? Cinderella?” Joonmyun asked lightly, “Though I don’t think Kris and Sehun would fit as the evil stepsisters… er, brothers.” he smiled.

Seirin laughed as she couldn’t help but picture Kris and Sehun being Cinderella’s stepsisters, complete with huge Victorian era gowns and such. “Eww, I think I fried some brain cells picturing them as the evil stepsisters.”

“Please don’t tell them I said that.” Joonmyun chuckled. “Though it’s really funny, of course. Ah, if they knew we are emasculating them, we’d be dead meat.”

It took them a while to control their laughter and as Seirin sobered up, the small sad smile went back, though she feels a good deal lighter, thanks to Joonmyun. “But no, it’s not Cinderella. My life is more like Rapunzel’s.”

“Rapunzel? The one locked up in a tower?” Joonmyun frowned.

Seirin shrugged, “Well, yeah. My life under the yakuza is like my tower, and yes, grandfather is the dragon.”

“The dragon was in Sleeping Beauty.” Joonmyun pointed out.

“Oh, yeah! I forgot! Well, it’s easier to see him as the dragon than the witch, but yeah, he’s the one who’s keeping me locked up.” Seirin smiled sheepishly.

Joonmyun grinned teasingly but just let it go like the kind father he was, “Well, and I’m guessing that Kris is the prince who came to rescue you then.”

Seirin thought about for a second, “Well, it’s not as if I don’t see as him as a prince material, but I’m technically not rescued yet. Have you seen the modern remake of Rapunzel, it’s entitled Tangled. Like the Rapunzel in that movie, she got out of her tower. But she isn’t really free. Just like me. The witch still got me.”

“I haven’t seen that movie yet, not that I would anytime soon since I don’t really watch or have the time. But… know that I am here to protect you. From the witch, or even the dragon.”

“Well, that would make you my prince charming!” Seirin giggled.

“I don’t think Kris would like that very much.” Joonmyun pointed out with a smile. “And not to mention that there’s your friend, Chen. I see how Kris’ angry bird face always show up when he’s around.”

“Chen? Chen is… well, he can be prince charming…” Seirin nodded thoughtfully. “But he’s more like Rapunzel’s long hair that helped her down the tower.”

“But isn’t the hair the one to be the witch’s way up the tower? Not that I say that Chen is bad or anything. I can tell that he’s a good boy.”

“And he is. Chen is the one who keeps me from being insane all this time. He might not be my prince charming, but he’s definitely my savior.”

Joonmyun nodded on agreement. “Well, no matter how much I want to be, I know I can’t be your prince charming, else we want Hyoyeon and Kris to be the villains of this fairytale. Who could I be then? Humor me.” he laughed.

“Well, I can see you as Rapunzel’s parent. The one who thought they had lost her forever because of the witch. You are so kind and if I had the chance to have a parent again, it would be you. I would love you to be my dad. I’m sure mom would agree with me if she was here.” Seirin felt something pinch her heart at the memory of her deceased mother, just like always when she remembers her.

Joonmyun’s eyes went wide with surprise. “Really? Well…” he rubbed the back of his head, much like what Kris does when he’s a bit embarrassed. “I do try to be a good parent, even with such strong headed sons. I just hope your father won’t be jealous.” he grinned sheepishly.

“I never knew him, so I wouldn’t know.” Seirin shrugged nonchalantly. She used to envy kids with a complete family, she still does, but over the years, such feelings were buried under the daily struggles of life she had to face.

“You didn’t know him? Didn’t you grew up with him?” Joonmyun frowned.

“Well, actually, mom never married him. And as far as I know, there isn’t a single picture of him that mom left. Mom only tell vague stories about him, she didn’t even mention his name. Grandfather… well, we didn’t really talk about things. The only times I‘d be able to talk to him is when he scolds me for running away.” she replied.

“Mariko… she didn’t marry your father?” Joonmyun asked curiously. “I didn’t know that. Well… we did lose contact when I came back here. Your grandfather is very…uh, strict, with people who has connections to his family.”

“Mom never married. That’s why I had to use Kurosaki as my last name.” Seirin answered. “It’s one of the reasons why I couldn’t even start looking for my father if he’s still alive. I don’t even know his name.”

Joonmyun frowned, his brows creasing as if there was something so complicated that he’s thinking of. “If you don’t mind me asking… when is your birthday?”

Seirin is a little confused, but she told him anyway. “Actually, I’ll be turning 21 at the end of the month.”

Joonmyun’s was lost in thought for a few moments before his face slowly drained of color. He abruptly stood up, masking the troubled expression with controlled actions as he gathered up the utensils they had used. He placed the bowls on the sink with an accidental loud noise and Seirin noticed that his hands were shaking a bit.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

Joonmyun’s head snapped and he looked like he was having a hard time to breathe. He gave Seirin a tight smile, “I… I’m fine. I just remembered something that I need to do.” he made his way to the front door, the troubled look still evident on his face. “I’m… I’m going out for a while. Stay in the house. Sehun and Kris would be home soon.”

Seirin nodded and watched as Joonmyun hastily got his keys and left. Well, that was a bit weird. But with everything that is happening lately, people tend to be tensed.

Just as Seirin was about to wash up the dishes, just so she will have something to occupy her time with instead of busy herself in thinking about her grandfather, her phone rang. An unknown number. She was reluctant in answering, but it could be anyone who just had to use someone else’s number.

When she answered the call, she wished she had ignored it.

Hello, my little insolent niece.

It was her uncle. She nearly dropped the phone, felling her body weaken at the mere sound of her uncle’s sneering voice. “Uncle Toshiro.” she weakly answered, her knees buckling.

Oh, you still remember! Good, good. the man on the other end of the line gibed. I just want to tell you that your dear old grandfather would like to talk to you. I believe he told that chubby cheeked policeman to tell your savior that he wanted to talk to you. My, my, so many people you are using as shields. I hope you never thought that youd be able to actually run away. That would have been the greatest mistake youve ever done in your pitifully short life. he leered.

Seirin is speechless. They knew. They knew the people she had encountered and been in contact with. She had endangered so many lives.

We will be waiting for you, Seirin. To be honest, I am tired of this little game of yours. You are far too old to be playing hide-and-seek. So let me tell you something; try to run, and Ill make sure that that family you had hid in will be destroyed. You will regret the day you considered seeking their help. Do we understand each other?

She felt like crying. There is no escape. Nowhere to run. She could run, but it would be cost everything she had learned to love, everything she holds dear.

The mere thought of everyone being hurt because of her had her knees finally give up on her. She fell to the floor as tears started cascading down her cheeks. It’s so hard to breathe and her vision is blurred by the salty water pouring from her eyes. She wants to get angry, to yell at her uncle for threatening everyone she loves. But it’s hopeless. She’s helpless. One wrong move, one wrong word, and it may cost everyone’s lives.

So what is it, my dear Seirin? her uncle cooed so sweetly it’s sickening.

She’s hyperventilating, her knuckle turning white as she gripped the phone too hard. But she needs to give them her answer. Her decision. She had to face it… her doom.

“I… I’ll come.” she choked on her tears, marveling inside her head how she didn’t stutter or faltered on her words. “Just don’t hurt anyone. I’ll come to you.”

Her uncle let out a bloodcurdling laugh. Well be waiting, Seirin. and the line went dead.

Seirin let herself be wrecked with uncontrollable sobs. This is it. The chase is over. Her grandfather wins.


a/n: your comments keep me alive! and i am... dying... hahaha

WOLF MV Drama vers is out and there is only one thing i can say... it's an effing huge CLIFFHANGER!! i'm dying to see what happens next!