Save Me

Yakuza's Rapunzel

a/n: supposedly, whenever Joonmyun and Hyoyeon talks to Seirin, it would be in Japanese, and when Kris talks to her, it's in English. but since i don't know Japanese, it's all written in English! just assume that they do! hehe

anyway! here's the third chap! enjoy, darlings!!!!


Who would think that finding Suho would be too easy?
 

She had sneaked out of Japan, telling no one, not even Chen, of her plans and the conversation she had with the stranger. She knew that she doesn’t have that much time before her grandfather realize that she had escaped once again, so she took the earliest flight to China, changed currencies and bought a ticket for LA. She knew from past experiences that her grandfather’s people have noses stronger than a hound dog’s when it comes to looking for her so she tried something she had only thought of doing once before, and that was exchanging tickets with some random stranger. She was lucky enough to find someone who was bound for Korea, exchanged tickets with the man (and of course a hefty amount of cash always make things go smoother) and in a matter of a few hours, she was in South Korea.
 

There was that small incident with the taxi driver, but for the life of her, she doesn’t know a word in Korean! And then that tall person shooed the driver away, and she was thankful, really. The man looks easy on the eyes to say the least; tall and lean frame, pale skin, handsome face, baritone voice and all. And then he opened his mouth and deliberately insulted her. She decided right then and there that she doesn’t like him.
 

And then she met that lively middle-aged woman who happened to be the man’s mother. The two of them clicked it off easily, but maybe it’s because the woman knows Japanese and the communication was easy if not a relief. And the woman offered to help her find Suho! Who would deny that?
 

Which brings her to the present situation. If she doesn’t misunderstand, it turned out that the woman, Hyoyeon, knows Suho, rather intimately. Talk about coincidence. Either she's being lucky or it's a conspiracy. But whatever it is, she found who she's looking for and that's what matters.
 

“You are Suho.” Seirin said and pointed at the picture.  
 

Suho and Hyoyeon have the same shocked look on their faces and Seirin understands. Here she was, a practical stranger, barging into their lives and was about to ask them for help. A help that may cost them their lives.
 

“Uh…” Suho cleared his throat, the shock slowly fading from his handsome face, “May I ask who you are?”
 

Seirin’s surprised at his almost flawless Japanese, but then Hyoyeon was too so she didn’t bother dwelling on it that much. “My name is Kurosaki Seirin. But I prefer Hino Seirin, Kurosaki just… it‘s inconvenient.” she said.
 

“And what…what can I do for you, Ms. Hino?” Suho’s voice has some edge on it, as if he’s stopping himself from choking or something, and there’s some strange look in his eyes that Seirin couldn’t put her finger on.
 

“Uhm…” Seirin bit her bottom lip and looked at Hyoyeon. Is it okay to tell Suho the real reason she had practically smuggled herself into Korea with Hyoyeon there?
 

Hyoyeon seemed to understand, giving Seirin a small smile before leaving for the door. Apparently, Kris had also entered the room. He looked like he was about to ask what was going on but Hyoyeon shushed him and led him outside, closing the door with a gentle click.
Seirin looked back at Suho who gestured for her to sit.

 

There was a bit of silence inside the small office. Seirin doesn’t even know where to start.
 

“Maybe you should tell me first where you had gotten the picture from?” Suho said, his voice gentle and calm as if sensing Seirin’s hesitance.
 

Seirin can’t help but to ask herself how this person can help her. Suho looks like he’d let every criminal go if it was him giving verdicts. There’s just that aura coming from him screaming ‘kindness’. If ever Suho come face to face with Seirin’s grandfather, Seirin wonders how Suho would react. Her grandfather might flip; that would be a sight indeed.
 

“I don’t know. And honestly, I don’t even know exactly how that ended up in my hands.” she told him about the little incident at the bar including the call but left some details as to who she really is, she‘s not sure if she can fully trust this man despite what that person who had called her had said.. “All I know is that I had to find you.” Seirin answered truthfully.
 

“Why?”
 

Why? Now, that’s a question that Seirin isn’t sure Suho would like the answer.
 

“I need you to save me.” she replied bluntly.
 

“Excuse me?” Suho frowned.
 

Seirin sighed. “Look, sir. I know I’m just some stranger and you don’t really have to help me but… you see this person here?” she pointed at her mother’s face on the picture. “She’s my mom.”
 

Seirin had always observant, a skill she had to hone since childhood to survive life being a child growing up under a yakuza clan. The way Suho’s naturally pale face blanched even more and how his hands clenched tightly until they turned white didn’t go unnoticed. And all that just because of the mention of her mother.
 

“You’re Mariko’s daughter?” he asked, voice low; different from the lighter one just a few moments earlier.
Seirin prepared herself for whatever would come. It seemed that Suho is trying hard to hide something. “Yes.” she answered tentatively.

 

“And why are you here?”
 

“I…I need your help.” Seirin replied, catching Suho’s eyes. “My grandfather is going to marry me off to some…business partner’s grandson.” does Suho know about Raijin? He did seem close to her mother in the picture.
 

“And why did that bring you to me?” Suho asked, the look on his face unreadable and Seirin would have believed that he was unsympathetic to her situation if not for his knuckles that was turning white. He seemed to have noticed how she was keeping an eye on his hands so he subtly brought it under the desk.
 

“That person who sent me the picture, he also said something. He said that if I wanted to escape, I should come to you. He said you would save me. That…it made me assume that you know who my mom was. Or at least knew of my family…” Seirin trailed, gauging Suho’s reaction.
 

Suho closed his eyes for a minute and when he opened them, Seirin could see that he was aware of what kind of family she is from. It’s a relief, but it makes her wary at the same time. Suho is a government officer, and her family is anything but law-abiding citizens.
 

“Yes. I do know about… your family.” he confirmed. “And I’m assuming that you ran away from home because you didn’t want to get married?”
 

“I never called it my home; it’s more like a prison. But yes, I don’t want to get married. And I was desperate enough to trust a stranger who might be planning to kill me or something by sending me to you.” Seirin answered truthfully. “But that was a chance for freedom I was willing to take. So… are you going to help me?”
 

Suho gave her a long blank stare, his eyes riddled with emotions she couldn’t decipher. And then he took a deep breath; she held hers unconsciously.
 

“I have retired from being an agent 10 years ago. I don’t have access to safe houses or anything of the sort that would keep you from being discovered by your grandfather. Unless I tug at some strings and use my old connections, which is I swore I will never do out of respect to my colleagues.” Suho stated bluntly.
 

Seirin felt despair crashing down on her. So escaping her grandfather was for nothing? She would still end up being married to whoever spoiled her grandfather had chosen for her? She should have just stayed back and figured out something by herself. She would have saved herself from a bigger punishment, save Chen from worrying about her whereabouts, and saving her heart from hoping so much only to be let down.
 

With her head hung low, she sighed. “Is that so? Well… I guess there’s nothing I can do-”
 

“But.” Suho cut her off.
 

Seirin’s head snapped and she looked at Suho.
 

Is there hope after all?
 

“Until I can figure something out… you can stay… at my place.” Suho’s lips twitched up lightly at Seirin’s reaction.
 

“Really?” Seirin can’t believe it. Did Suho just offer for her to stay at his place? Is he really going to let her, a stranger!, stay at his house?
 

“It’s the least I could do for your mom.” Suho answered, the look on his face softening. A smile tug at his face and he seemed to be lost in some memory. He snapped a little and smiled at Seirin. “I see that you’ve made quite an impression with my wife. I’m sure she’d be delighted to have you as company when she’s bored at home.”
 

“Your wife? You mean Ms. Hyoyeon?” Seirin asked. She’s his wife? Who would have guessed! Suho is handsome, and Hyoyeon is really pretty, but she never would have known! She assumed they were just close friends!
 

“Yeah. And that young man who came in is my eldest son.” Suho nodded. He stood up and grabbed his coat, “Well, come on now, Ms. Hino. As much as I would like to chat with you for a little longer, I’m afraid that your situation needs to be discussed at a more private place. You did come to me for escape, right?”
 

Seirin nodded and stood up as well. “Uh, yeah… thanks, by the way, Mr. Suho.” she bowed low, showing her gratitude. “You don’t even know me but you’re helping me. I don’t know how to possibly thank you enough.”
 

“Please, don’t bow, Ms. Hino.” Suho was suddenly by her side and holding her up. He smiled warmly, “You don’t have to do anything really. As I’ve said, I owe your mom. Taking you in when you need help is the least I could do to repay her. And don‘t call me Suho. It‘s an old nickname and makes me feel like I‘m seventy or something. I’m Kim Joonmyun. You can call me by that or anything you’re more comfortable with.”
 

Seirin nodded. She took a step back, keeping her head low as she distanced herself from Suho, no, it’s Joonmyun, as subtly as possible. She’s never been comfortable with skinship, and she was not about to start now, even with the person whom she owes big time.
 

Joonmyun seemed to understand and smiled apologetically. He went for the door and opened it, gesturing for Seirin to go out first. The two of them were greeted by a laughing Hyoyeon and a flush-faced Kris. There were several officers who were surrounding the two and it seemed that they were all ganging up on Kris.
 

“Well, looks like you are all catching up.” Joonmyun grinned as they approached. “Can I steal my wife now?” he smiled and slipped a hand on Hyoyeon’s waist, kissing her on the temple of her forehead.
 

Hyoyeon just giggled and hugged her husband. She whispered something in Joonmyun’s ear, far too soft for anyone to hear and Joonmyun nodded to whatever it was.
 

“Come on. I’ll be taking the rest of the day off. Minseok, can you handle these hooligans for a while?”
 

Minseok affirmed that he can and Joonmyun then pulled Hyoyeon with him, telling Kris and Seirin to follow. Soon they were in the parking lot and Seirin followed Joonmyun towards his car.
 

“Uh, Seirin, can you give me and Hyoyeon some time to talk? I just need to discuss some things with her, if it’s alright.” Joonmyun apologized, his face a little apprehensive.
 

“Oh… is that so? It’s okay…” Seirin trailed. So she’d be taking a taxi to Joonmyun’s place?
 

“Kris, give her a ride home. And call your brother. Tell him to come home as early as possible.” Joonmyun instructed, closing the door after Hyoyeon got in.
 

“Give her a ride home?” Kris asked, aghast, but his father had already started the car and was driving away.
 

“See you, Seirin-chan! Kris, you better get her home in one piece!” Hyoyeon waved.
 

Kris and Seirin was silent for a moment, Kris’ eyes trained on the road where his dad’s car had sped off to. Seirin just stood there, not really knowing what to do. Should she ride with Kris? But the guy doesn’t even like her! Should she just hail a cab then? But she doesn’t even know Joonmyun’s address!
 

Oh well, it would be easy to ask Joonmyun’s address from the officers inside the building. With her mind made up in hailing a taxi, she started to go back to the building to ask for Joonmyun’s address.
 

“Hey, where are you going?” Kris called.
 

“Huh? Oh, I was…” Seirin gestured towards the building, “I figured you wouldn’t want to give me a ride so I’m going to ask for your address inside and call a taxi.”
 

“And give my parents the impression that I’m a bigger snob than you are?” Kris sneered.
 

“Are you not?”
 

“Shut up and get inside the car.” Kris hissed and got in, starting the engine.
 

Seirin glared but got into the car reluctantly, making herself comfortable on the seat next to the Kris. She strapped herself with the seatbelt; who knows what Kris would do while driving!? He might purposely drive crazily to get her into an accident or something. It’s ridiculous but everyone in this world are crazy one way or another, she won’t take her chances lightly.
 

“Why are you suddenly going to go home with us?” Kris asked bluntly as they speed through traffic.
 

“Beats me.” Seirin replied. It’s one thing for her to trust Joonmyun, but telling another stranger about her life’s drama is another thing entirely. Besides, Joonmyun might have another thing planned for her stay, she doesn’t want to ruin it for him by telling his son that he’d be harboring a yakuza head’s granddaughter, right?
 

Kris was silent for most of the ride and Seirin figured out that either the man just didn’t want to be disturb while driving or he’s just really someone who doesn’t talk too much. Or maybe he just doesn’t like her. Either way, she didn’t dwell on it because being on the run for the past couple of days, and not to mention how she was physically and mentally drained, is taking its toll on her. A few minutes into the ride and she was already in la-la-land.
 

She felt a little bit relaxed after being on edge for the past two days. Finally, she gets to breath. With her eyes closed, she dreams of making a new start in this foreign country. Joonmyun and Hyoyeon seem to be good people, and it might be embarrassing to ask for more from them but she wants to start her life anew. If Joonmyun will mange to help her from being snagged back into her grandfather’s clutches, even if she needs to leave everything and everyone behind, even Chen, then it would be delightful to finally start living her life the way she wants to.
 

Thinking about Chen makes her feel guilty, but she’s pretty sure he’ll understand. Besides, with Chen’s brain and connections, he’d find her sooner or later. If he doesn’t, then she’ll make sure that she’ll find a way to contact him without risking getting caught by her grandfather. No matter how much she likes the idea of leaving everything behind her, the thought of forgetting about Chen is quite unbearable, if not unacceptable. She just can’t think of doing so.
 

But dreaming of a new life is certainly something that makes her heart flutter with happiness, something that she never thought she’d feel. And it’s certainly a good feeling, it feels so good that it brought a smile to her face. Yep, if feeling that lighthearted means dying, then she’d probably die right then.
 

The car suddenly jerked into a stop, the seatbelt digging into Seirin painfully as she was nearly slammed to the dashboard. She let out a pained cry, air knocked out of her as she was jerked back to the seat forcefully.
 

What the heck? She didn’t mean she really wanted to die right that moment!
 

She turned to give Kris a good bashing but she was suddenly shoved down her seat, Kris’ large hand keeping her head down as he ducked too.
 

“What the hell are you doing?!” Seirin yelled, grunting as the seatbelt was pressed more painfully into her chest. She fiddled with it for a moment before she managed to loosen it up.
 

“Keep your head down!” Kris commanded firmly.
 

Seirin was about to give him a piece of her mind but just then guns were fired and the windows shattered, broken glass raining both on Kris and Seirin. Seirin couldn’t help but to yell in fear as more bullets came sailing through the car, the only thing that registered inside her mind is she’s going to die in a foreign country, inside a car where she’s stuck with a man who basically dislikes her and who would probably throw her body into the ocean if she ended up dying.
 

There was only one name that resounded inside her head as more guns were fired and the world seemed to be ending for her.

Chen!!!
 


a/n: it's not much of a cliffhanger, right?? hehe... your comments are loved!! see you around!!