The Gangster's Grandaughter

Yakuza's Rapunzel

The interior of the car is silent but for the faint humming of the engine. She sat there, eyes trained outside the window, taking in the sight of Tokyo’s nightlife; dim lights, drunk people, crime hidden behind dark alleys. Everything she had grown up knowing.
 

“Kurosaki-sama, we are here.” the driver up front informed, his low baritone voice breaking the almost deafening silence.
 

The old man sitting on the seat in front of hers made no indication to acknowledge what the driver had said. On that small break between the car stopping and the driver getting out to open the doors though, the old man tilted his head and regarded her, not making any eye contact.
 

“Behave.” he said in that raspy voice. A warning.
 

She averted her eyes, flexing her jaws to restrain herself from blurting her retorts; her punishment had just been uplifted the day before and although she would love to have the old man blow an artery, she doesn’t want to be confined to her room with no one to talk to for days on end except the four blank walls and the stupid goldfish.
 

The door opened and the old man got out without any other word, she followed a moment later. Men in black suits littered the entrance to one of Tokyo’s tallest skyscrapers, this particular one owned by a man with great influence over the country’s economy, including those of the underground society as well. And of course, the old man she came with just happened to be one of Tokyo’s most influential individual as well, so it was a given that he was invited to the annual gathering of well-known people such as what was happening tonight.
 

As they entered the biggest function room in the building, the one located on the top floor where Tokyo’s blinking and mesmerizing night lights looked like a surreal scene portrayed in a painting, they were greeted by formally dressed individuals, many of whom she knows work for the government, and not to mention those who strive in destroying it.
 

Growing up, she had realized one particular thing: evil in this world will never be wiped out no matter what you do. Take these people gathered this evening for example. Many of them were renowned people who hold high places inside the government and other significant positions of leading companies and such. But chatting and laughing alongside them are leaders of feared underground societies, mafia bosses, heads of cartels and the likes. These two groups are like two sides of a coin, they can’t just get rid of the other even if they want to.
 

Because if there is one fact that would never change it is this: good and evil would not, could not exist without the other. One will never know light if there isn’t darkness, and shadows only gets bigger as the light gets brighter. It’s sad, but that’s the reality of life.
 

She weaved through the thick crowd, making sure she would not lose sight of the old man and risk getting swallowed by these sharks. The old man halted a few feet in front of her and she slowed down as she approached, noting the person he was talking to.
 

“Ah, I see your granddaughter has indeed grown up well.” the other man, a stocky-built person with his middle protruding as if it was about to burst in any second, smiled greasily. He looked at her with beady eyes from head to toe, as if scanning her and valuing her price.
 

She tilted her head forward a bit, just enough to appear as polite as she needed to be, but kept her eyes on the person, making sure that the man would not take her as one of those submissive women that were littering around the function hall. She was no one’s puppet.
 

“And I see she has quite a spirit as well.” the man smirked, taking a sip of the amber-colored liquid inside the glass on his hands. “Say, Kurosaki-san, have you thought about the offer I had made the other day?”
 

“As a matter of fact, I have, Ogata-san. And I have a proposition that you might like.” the old man replied, his face remaining passive though the light tone of his voice indicates that he was actually delighted of something.
 

Her ears perked up at the different tone her grandfather has. Yes, this old man is her grandfather, the only blood relative that she has. She had an uncle, but the man was an adopted son since her grandmother couldn’t have any other child after giving birth to her mother. And this old man isn’t your average rich Japanese man that owned several business establishments all over the country, even abroad as well.
 

Her grandfather is the current head of Raijin, one of the oldest, and certainly one of the strongest, yakuza clan in Japan. The old man, referred to as Kurosaki-san by everyone who knows him and of him, is just in his early sixties. He was by no means considered as one of the oldest living head of a yakuza, thus being considered as one of the most influential. This fact causes many effects on his granddaughter’s life; both good and bad.
 

Her name is Seirin Kurosaki, or Seirin Hino, as she preferred to be called since using Kurosaki had landed her in many awful situation more often than not. She’s turning 21 in a couple of months and although still considered young by the society in general, in a world where the success of a family is determined by having children that would continue the bloodline, she is near to the point in her life where she is considered as a disappointment to her family. Her grandmother had conceived a child at the early age of 19 and her late mother had given birth to her at 21. Seirin’s not being married and giving her grandfather an heir at her age is a ‘big’ problem.
 

Without an heir, someone from those power-hungry people under her grandfather could steal the position from their family. And honestly, Seirin thinks that her grandfather is ruthless enough, and his minions are worse than him. Who knows what would happen if they take over? She’s not worried about having the position stolen from them, heck, she doesn’t even give a damn. Her only concern is how it would effect the majority of society. There are far more innocent people out there that would suffer under a worse ruler.
 

“Hey, gorgeous. What’s with the sullen face?” a gentle tug on her arm gave Seirin a start. She didn’t even notice that she was spacing out.
 

“Oh, Chen!” she smiled. She glanced at her grandfather who was grossed in a conversation with the pudgy man, Mr. Ogata, before smiling back at Chen. “Please save me.” her eyes pleaded wordlesslly.
 

Chen rolled his eyes playfully, the smile on his face being replaced by a stoic curl of his thin lips. He cleared his throat after taking a step towards her grandfather, bowing low when he got their attention. “Good evening, Kurosaki-sama. Ogata-san.” he greeted.
 

Seirin grinned inwardly at how Mr. Ogata raised a brow, clearly miffed by how blatantly Chen had just indicated that he was inferior to her grandfather. It’s funny how huge the effect of using such simple honorifics could be.
 

“Chen.” her grandfather acknowledged. “I didn’t expect you to attend. Are you here in place of your father?” he asked.
 

“No, sir.” Chen replied, slowly standing straight, taking the cue of being acknowledged that he could do so. “My father is also here and he brought me to… observe a little. He said that it‘s a lesson.” he grinned a little.
 

Seirin’s grandfather nodded, a sign of approval; Seirin noted how she never gets those kind of signs from him. “I have always known that you are one those who is going to be successful in this business. Your father is training you well.”
 

“Thank you, Kurosaki-sama.” Chen bowed once again.
 

Seirin tried hard not to roll her eyes. She knows for sure that Chen is only kissing . Because like her, if given a choice, or a chance, he would want to live in a world where blood and money does not control someone’s fate.
 

Chen is her best friend, the one and only who understands her desire to escape this kind of life. They had grew up together, being always there for the other. The only difference was, Chen chose to go with the flow more smoothly than Seirin had ever did. He manipulates situations so they would go with what he wants, making it look like he’s willingly allowing people around him to control him when in actuality, he’s making them mold into whatever he wants them to do. His boyish charms and wit makes it easier for him to cover his manipulative and scheming mind.
 

Seirin on the other hand had always been stubborn, and she never hesitates to show it. Being strong-headed as she is, it landed her in being punished more often that not. She’d be grounded for weeks on end, with no one to talk to. It never bothers her of course since the only person she finds as someone worth talking to is Chen. She’s never good with people. Being a yakuza leader’s granddaughter means that you got to be respected automatically. But it wasn’t the case in reality, because no matter how she view it, she doesn’t see how people respect her. She’s feared instead. The reason she doesn’t know anybody else other than those who work under and alongside her grandfather. And why Chen is her only friend.
 

“I’ll talk to your father later. With his son as aspiring as you are, I am sure that whatever business that I would have with him, I would not worry that much.” Seirin’s grandfather said.
 

“Thank you again, Kurosaki-sama. I’m sure my father would be delighted to hear that.” Chen replied. “But for now, could I borrow Seirin for a moment? Learning is more fun if there’s someone you could banter things with.”
 

Seirin kept her eyes averted, not wanting to look too eager to leave her grandfather and Mr. Ogata. She wants to, but she doesn’t want to screw things up for Chen. Their friendship is precious to her, so she made sure that her grandfather doesn’t know how close the two of them really were. As much as she wants Chen by her side, she knows that keeping someone so close would mean that people around you would have means to hurt you, and she wouldn’t risk that.
 

“I understand. Perhaps Seirin would learn a thing or two from you.” her grandfather replied, dismissing the two of them after a few seconds.
Seirin let herself be led by Chen into the crowd, letting out a sigh once she was sure that they were out of her grandfather’s sight. Chen chuckled at her reaction.

 

“Where have you been hiding for the past two weeks, Kurosaki? I haven’t heard from you since your little stint in Macau.” Chen smirked, walking towards a corner of the hall where there weren’t drunk politicians or intoxicated gangsters.
 

“Ugh, don’t remind me, Chen. I swear my grandfather has a hound’s nose. That or my dear uncle is having me followed even in the bathroom.” Seirin groaned. “And stop calling me by that stupid name. You know I hate it.”
 

Chen just shook his head, his smirk fading into a small sincere smile. “Please stop doing stupid things, Seirin. I don’t want you to get hurt. You know I could help you if you really want to run awa-”
 

“And you know I won’t make you take that risk, Chen. I’d rather try to run away and be caught and punished, on my own, than to have you help me and get you tangled up in the mess. We’ve talked about this many times before, and my answer would not change, okay?” Seirin interrupted, giving Chen a firm look when he was about to retort.
 

Chen sighed. “Why are you so stubborn?”
 

“You love me anyways.” Seirin grinned and Chen just gave her that eye-crinkling smile.
 

The two of them chatted about everything but anything related to their lives of being heirs to the underground world. Seirin relished on her restored freedom, no matter how limited it was. One of the many things that always brightens her day is talking to Chen. Even for just a few hours, she gets to forget how crazy her life really is. For a few hours, she gets to be normal.
 

“Well, I see that you are enjoying your night, Seirin-chan.” someone said, getting Seirin’s attention.
 

It’s a man, nearly as tall as Chen, but not as lean as the latter. This man is a little stockier in build, a cleft chin on a rather handsome face; said face wearing that arrogant smirk which is a signature look on spoiled brats Seirin had grown up socializing with.
 

“Uh, do I…know you?” Seirin asked, being polite since she’s not really sure from which side of the coin this man was from. And he looked like he’s just about her age. She’s always been careful with giving first impressions on people close to her age because you never knew when you will gain a comrade like Chen, or an enemy. She knows for fact how dangerous it is to make enemies of young people just as how deadly it is to make enemies with old and seasoned gangsters.
 

“I’m Ogata Shinjirou.” the man introduced himself, not even bowing as accustomed.
 

“Ogata Shinjirou?” Seirin frowned. Was the guy related to Mr. Pudgy-middle Ogata? And why did he just use such a familiar endearment with her? Honestly, they had just met! Even Chen doesn’t use such, no matter how close they were. But then again, Chen had always been special.
 

“Yes.” Shinjirou replied, grinning widely. “I’m surprised that you don’t know me. What with the wedding already planned and arranged to be held on or before your birthday!” he exclaimed, laughing as if he had just cracked the funniest joke.
 

“What? Wedding?” did she just hear him say that? She must be dreaming. “Who’s getting married?”
 

“You and me, of course!” Shinjirou laughed once more. “I believe that my father and your grandfather had already talked and agreed. Only the exact date is not sure but the wedding is definitely-”
 

Before Shinjirou could even finish his words Seirin was already making her way back to her grandfather, Chen at her heels.
 

“Seirin!” Chen called out, grabbing her elbow to stop her. “Seirin, whatever it is that you are about to do, you need to stop and think for a minut-”
 

“Think?!” Seirin glared, “That old bat is going to marry me off to some spoiled asswipe and you want me to think?!” she spat. “I told you before, Chen, I am not someone’s puppet! He can’t control me all he wants! I won’t let him!”
 

“You know that there is nothing you can do if he had already made up his mind! But you’ve got to be calm and think about this, Seirin! Don’t go acting harshly again! You’re just going to make it easier for him to corner you!” Chen argued.
 

Seirin shook Chen’s hand off. “I know he won’t listen, Chen. But that won’t stop me from giving him a piece of my mind!”
 

“And then what?” Chen raised a brow, holding onto Seirin’s elbow firmly. “If you don’t give this a moment to think over, you’d be going to a war that you are sure to lose. So stop, Seirin. We’ll think of something.”
 

Seirin is still fuming, but Chen is right. She needs a plan. This situation is different from her petty attempts of getting out of her grandfather’s grasp. If she gets married to this Shinjirou guy, she’s sure to be doomed. There are many ways that a marriage could be broken, but in her case, unless she finds a way to make Shinjirou free her, and that is short of killing him of course because that would only cause for another yakuza clan wars, she’s bound to be Mrs. Ogata until she dies. And she’s pretty sure that the Ogatas won’t le her go that easy since Raijin is a powerful clan. It all revolves around that one thing; power.
 

“Ugh, I hate my life!” Seirin groaned.
 

“I’ll help you, Seirin. Okay? I won’t let you be married off just like that.” Chen reassured.
 

“If only he’s making me marry you then I won’t even think twice.” Seirin scoffed.
 

Chen was silent for a moment, a strange light appearing behind his eyes, but it disappeared as fast as it had come. “Don’t be silly, Seirin. You’re not up to my standards.” he grinned cheekily.
 

Seirin’s jaw dropped a little, gaping at Chen. “Why you little-” she slapped him on the arm repeatedly, enjoying how he grimaced and tried to avoid being hit.
 

One thing that Seirin loves about being around Chen is his ability to take her mind off her worries even for just a moment. No matter how much Seirin is in deep trouble, Chen always find a way to make her forget.
 

But her life is just a jumble of bad luck and broken expectations. Her grandfather and Mr. Ogata had spotted the two of them and was weaving through the crowd towards their direction. Shinjirou was making his way from the other side too. At the sight of them, Seirin felt her blood boil. How dare these people hold and shape her life within their palms as if she was their puppet?
 

They should have known better. Because Seirin would have none of that!
 

“I am not going to marry that oaf.” she stated bluntly once her grandfather was near enough.
 

“It is time for you to fulfill your duty to this family. And that is to give me an heir. The choice of marriage is not your decision to make. And everything is already been set.” her grandfather stated firmly.
 

Seirin glared, “Not my decision to make? It’s my life, damn it!” she spat, ignoring the curios looks they were having. All of these people here were a bunch of wussies anyways, not knowing how to stand up for themselves and letting others control their lives. Well, she is not one of them. “You’ve already planned a wedding? Then why don’t you go through it yourself?” she said before running out of the function hall, ignoring the voices calling after her.
 

This is it. Her great escape. If she gets caught, then her fate is sealed. And she would have none of it. She won’t be married off just like that! She’d rather jump off a cliff.


Seirin found herself rummaging her wardrobe for some clothes and money a few hours later after running off from the party. She’s never the one to plan anything, but over the years, Chen’s brilliant strategist’s mind had rubbed off on her. Thus, she ended up sneaking into her room in the dead of the night, packing a few belongings, her traveling documents, and of course, those few bills and foreign currency she had hidden underneath her mattress for situations when she would need them.
 

Sneaking in and out of the house is a tricky, if not risky and deadly, feat. But since this house she had grew up in is one of the oldest traditional houses in Japan, there were many spots where she could easily slip into whenever a guard was approaching. It took quite a while, knocking a guard or two on the way, but she made it out relatively unscathed. Sending the old wooden gate one last look, she sped off into the night.
 

She settled on a huge club in the middle of Shibuya District. All the people will be a good cover for her as she tries to figure out what to do next. She doesn’t have a plan. Yet. She wanted to call Chen, but she stopped herself. She needed to figure this out and involve less people as possible. But how exactly is she going to do that?
 

Her phone rang and she nearly missed it if not for the vibrating sensation she felt inside her pocket. She expected it to be Chen since no one else but him knows her number, but it wasn’t him. It was some unknown number and for a second she thought it was one of her grandfather’s minions. She answered the call, ready to hang up if it was some trick to trace her.
 

“If you want to escape, then I can help you.” a low baritone voice spoke from the other end of the line without even letting her greet first.
 

“What?” Seirin frowned.
 

“Look for that person in the picture. The last time I heard, he’s still in Seoul.” the person said.
 

“What picture? What are you talking about? Who are you?” Seirin frowned even harder. What the heck? Who is this person? She didn’t even know what picture he was talking about.
 

Just then, someone bumped into Seirin, making her topple on the stool she was occupying on the bar. She hissed in annoyance, phone still stuck to her ear. She was too late to see the person that had bumped into her so she let it go. When she turned back to the bar counter though, she was shocked.
 

There was a picture sitting in front of her. Said picture was torn on one side but that didn’t even register that much on Seirin’s brain. She was so engrossed on looking at the people in the picture. It was her mother, smiling happily into the camera. A man was with her and Seirin could only describe him as angelic; what with the fair skin, bright smile and beautiful face that he got. She had never seen him though, not in the numerous pictures she managed to salvage back at the house.
 

“Find him.” the person said, yanking Seirin from her momentary daze.
 

“Wait! Who are you?! How do you know-” Seirin almost yelled, scanning around the fully-packed club for whoever it was that was on the phone with her. He must be in the crowd somewhere. Heck, he could have been that person who bumped into her earlier! For him to know about what was happening to her at the time, with all the runaway-bride-to-be drama, she’s sure that he’s someone either involved with Raijin, or her personal stalker.
 

Either way, could she possibly trust him? She knows she shouldn’t. She doesn’t even know him! God knows how many times she had been betrayed by the people she had grown up knowing. How much more can she trust this stranger?
 

But he’s offering an escape. And she’s desperate for one!
 

“How can I trust you?” Seirin asked tentatively.
 

“Because this is all I can do to repay your mother.” the person replied, sincerity clear in his voice even over the phone. Before Seirin could say anything else, he cut her off. “His name is Suho. Look for him. He’ll save you.”
 

And then the line was cut.
 

“W-wait! Hello? Hello!?” Seirin tried calling the number again but it wouldn’t connect.
 

Sighing, she looked at the picture, noting how intimately closed her mother was standing beside the man.
 

“Suho… who are you?”
 


 

a/n: i'm back with a fic written out of boredom... tehehe

kyah... the month of MAY has so many of EXO birthdays!! next up is Chen and Suho's!  and apparently, they are major characters in this one...

aahh... hot summer...