Mistakes and Regrets

Baby Maybe

A/N A Letter to Hyun was like a special chapter, so Yong is writing the letter as the story progresses. It'll probably be another chapter or two before I write another letter to hyun thing.

Seohyun slowly walked into the cafe. Junhee called her again, demanding to meet Seohyun in the cafe again. Although she really didn't want to go, Junhee said it'll be the last time she ever bothered her.

Junhee was already sitted. She was sipping coffee with another girl- Shinhye, Yonghwa's childhood friend since they were in diapers.

They were talking, maybe arguing, until Shinhye stood up and left. Shinhye glanced at Seohyun, nodded, and walked out.

"Hey, Junhee?" Seohyun sat down.

"Hey, unnie. Listen, don't talk. Let me talk for 30 seconds. Just listen."

"Alrig-"

"Shh! Alright, I'll begin. My older brother can't live without you. He has cancer and he's about to die. He's not going to live for much longer than six months, and his only wish during that time is to spend it with you. Instead, you're hanging out with your celebrity friends. You didn't even know that he kept going back and forth to hopitals, or waking up in the middle of the night, doubling over in pain. Please, unnie. Even out of pity! Stay with my dumb sunflower brother. Please."

Seohyun gaped at Junhee. Slowly she let out a laugh. "Is this some stupid trick to get me to like Yong again? You're playing a trick on me, Junhee. Oppa would never get cancer."

"What about all the times you told him to stop smoking? After seeing him like that you seriously think he wouldn't get cancer?"

Seohyun was still a bit amused. "Oh, please. If this is just a stupid scheme to-"

"It's not a joke!" Junhee yelled and stood up. Everyone turned toward them. Junhee blushed and sat down.

"It's not a joke. I wish it was a joke." Junhee muttered. Tears were in corner of her eyes, and that moment, Seohyun realized Junhee wasn't joking.

"Wait.. you're serious... cancer..." Seohyun sat there stunned. She was so shocked at what she was feeling. She felt... well, like a coworker died... not a friend.

She hated herself for it. She hated that she was treating Yong like a stranger. But she couldn't change it.

"What were... you and Shinhye ssi talking about?"

"Oh... Shinhye unnie acted really weird when I wanted to tell you that Yong has cancer. She didn't listen even after I told her it would make Yonghwa oppa happy. She thought it would be a bad idea."

"What? She knew? How many more people knew about Yong's cancer?"

"Um... well... everyone. Even your best friend, Yoona sorta knew about it. Yonghwa wanted to talk with her."

Junhee threw a letter on to the table. "Here. I found this in his room"

Seohyun picked it up and read it slowly. Tears came to her eyes, and she let the paper drop.

Seohyun's world spun. Why did he not tell her? Only her?

No, it couldn't be.

Yong.

She had to go to Yong's house.


I wanted to shield you from the truth.

You are so frail, like you can break any second. This truth will only cause you pain. 

I don't want you to feel pain.

Because you are the most delicate flower I have, yet the most beautiful.

I wanted to protect you from the cruel wind of the truth.

I told everyone because I wanted to be loved and pitied. But not from you.

I didn't want to be pitied from you. I didn't want you to stay only because you pitied me.

I wanted you to stay because you loved me, because you'll stay by me, even without knowing the truth.

I didn't tell you because I cared about you.

Because I loved you.


Yonghwa blowdried his hair when he heard a knock on the door.

"Oppa! Let me in!"

Yonghwa opened the door coldly. "What do you want?"

"What do I want? I want answers."

"What-"

"You're not going to die, right? You're not going to go in a hole and die, right?"

"Who-?"

"You won't die and we'll be able to name our babies YongSeo and YongHyun, right?"

"Hyun-"

"Am I right?"

Yonghwa was crying and he grasped Seohyun into a hug.

"What are you talking about, you idiot? Of course I'm not going to die!"

"I knew it," Seohyun whispered, and she fainted on the spot.


When Seohyun woke up, Kyuhyun was next to her, holding her hand.

"Yonghwa oppa..."

"That's all a bad dream, Hyun."

"That's what Yonghwa oppa calls me..."

"Hyun, no. Yonghwa never called you that. He called you Joohyun. I called you Hyun."

"He... he has cancer..."

"No, he doesn't. That was a bad dream. Why else would you be at your house instead of Yonghwa's?"

"Dream...But-"

"Shh, Hyun. Get some rest. We'll talk later."

Kyuhyun walked out and closed the door behind him. Seohyun looked at her phone.

Let's break up. I don't think we're right for each other. Don't call me.

Seohyun couldn't believe her eyes. What? A text message from Yong proved that this was a nightmare- he would never break up with her. Never.

But there it was, no matter how much Seohyun pinched herself, it was real.

Sometimes it takes losing someone to realize what you had.

We might die without never seeing each other again.

But I will remember you.

Because you held some of the bitter, yet the sweetest moments of my life.


"I'm sorry, Hyun!" Kyuhyun barged back into the room.

"Huh?"

"I couldn't help it... I read your text messages..."

"Oppa!"

"Well... since you and Yonghwa are broken up... do you want to become my girlfriend?"

Seohyun felt rage toward Kyuhyun, although this was what she wanted for a long time.

Wasn't this what she wanted?

"Yes..oppa...okay."

"Yes! We're still on for the double date tomorrow, except we won't have to pretend now!" Kyuhyun kissed Seohyun on the forehead and walked out.

Seohyun sighed. This would be what Yonghwa would want me to do.

Plus, he's the one that broke up with me. I'm just moving on.

He apparently already did.


When I see your smile and know it's  not for me.... that's the moment I'll miss you the most. -Unknown

I don't want to let you go.

But like we can't stop the future from coming, I can't keep holding on to you.

All the childish little things like some stupid guitar I cared so much about... I'd have to let all of them go.

But I was so wrapped up with this childish things that I didn't realize what would be the hardest to let go...

You, Hyun. I can't let you go.


"Why'd you break up with Seohyun ssi?" Shinhye walked along Yonghwa in Gangnam.

"Oh, you know.. easier to let her go now than later. If I leave her when I'm still with her, I'll miss her too much. Start forgetting her now..." Yonghwa let his words trail off.

"Well, get a new girlfriend!"

"I only got 3 months left to live now. Who'd take a boy like me?"

"... I guess you're right oppa. Let's go."

Shinhye dragged Yonghwa into shop after another, gushing about how cute this purse is, or this shirt. 

But Yonghwa didn't smile the same way he did to Hyun.

 

I smile but my tears still fall. I will them not to fall, but they roll down my cheeks.

You tell me to forget you?

Can you stop loving someone in a middle of a crush when someone tells you to?

No, I can't do that.

You meant everything to me, but I meant nothing to you.

That's what hurts the most.

But if you have to leave, give me one sweetest memory to remember you by.

But it's too late. You haven't even given me that. 

And now, for me, you will slowly fade away. 

I already am starting to forget bits and pieces, like our anniversary.

You will become my past and blow away with the wind.

And that is my biggest fear.