Letter: The Reminder

Baby Maybe

"Mom!" A 15 year old girl walked into the room.

"Yes, Yongseo?" 

"YongHyun is hitting me again!"

The 12 year old boy stuck out his tongue at his older sister.

"YongHyun, don't hit your sister." Seohyun said, tired.

"She was annoying me!" 

"YongSeo, don't annoy your sister."

The sibling continued to bicker until YongSeo rembembered something.

"Mom? I got mail from the mailman, and there was this package for you." She rumaged through her bag and pulled out a blue box with a pink bow.

Seohyun unwrapped the package. 

Inside were two spoons with a foul smelling empty cup. There was also a photograph.

"Oh, gross!" YongSeo said, plugging her nose. 

There was a piece of paper in the cup. Seohyun unwrapped it with trembling hands.

Hey Hyun!

Remember the ice cream from the ice cream shop? 

I know this is a bit gross, but this is the cup and the spoons we ate it with.

It might be a little rotten.

Love, Yong

Seohyun laughed. A little rotten? That was an understatement.

Well, anything would be rotten after 25 years. 

Meanwhile, YongSeo and YongHyun were observing the photograph.

Seohyun let out a laugh when she saw the photo.

Yoona took that photo when they all went to the ski resort.

YongSeo let out a sqeal. "Oh my god! This guy is so cute! Mom, can you introduce me to him?"

Seohyun smiled. "Of course not."

YongSeo groaned. "Why not? Please don't tell me the girl in the picture is his girlfriend."

"She is." Seohyun smiled mysteriously.

"There's another reason that you can never date him."

"Why?"

"Because that's me in the picture."

YongSeo and YongHyun let that sink in.

"What? You told me we were adopted!" Yongseo cried out in jealousy.

"You are. This is just my boyfriend." 

"Pfft. That makes no sense at all!"

"He's the one that picked out your names. Be thankful to him."

"So he's the one to blame for all the teasing I've gotten since kindergarten?" YongSeo asked resentfully.

"Jung YongSeo! I told you never to say that again!"

"But they tease me because it sounds like forgiveness!"

"This would've been your dad!"

Yonghyun quietly observed the picture. "So this is what our step dad would've looked like?"

Seohyun put her arm around the boy. "Yes."

"I like him."

Seohyun stared at the boy, surprised. "Why?"

"Because I just know that he would've been the type to give anything just to make you happy."

There was silence.

"He was," Seohyun said quietly, and she gathered up the gifts in the box and went in to her room.


"Hey, oppa. I know you're out there somewhere."

Pause.

"You are a star, aren't you? Sometimes, I look at the thousands of stars in the sky and wonder which one is you."

She glanced up at the night sky, winds blowing her hair, but she didn't fix it.

"I guess it makes the most sense. The only place they'd have room for to keep the millions of dead people is in the sky as little specks."

She the moldy ice cream spoon but didn't even flinch.

"YongSeo hates you. She doesn't like her name, and it pains me every time I see her like that. I wanted to keep your last wish, but I think all it ever do was hurt Yongseo."

She smiled sadly and stared down at the ground.

"I could be next to you right now. If I just jump off..."

There was a longer silence then she sighed.

"But I lasted without you for 25 years, so I'll last a little longer. I'm going to have to join you whether I like it or not sooner or later."

Seohyun began to sing softly.

"Baby baby baby I didn't believe in love, I used to build a wall around myself

Baby baby baby I used to think I'll be alright on my own, I had foolish thoughts- then I met you"

She stopped singing and whispered in to the air with tears in her eyes.

"The song was about you the whole time. Even when I left you like an idiot, the song was about you."

She pulled out the paper she carried in her pocket.

"You responded to me for the last time 25 years ago. The note... it makes me feel happy...

Because you're still watching over me, making sure I'm happy. You know how much I hate uncertain things, just like you.

Now, I know for certain there's something after death. And that means I can be with you again, so I'm not afraid of death."

She carefully stood up on the windowsill and sat down again, her legs sticking out with her body on the ledge.

"Oppa, you'll never be alone. Because you're such a darn good person that people will always be next to you, wanting you to be their friend.

I'll try not to get jealous if you make friends with some pretty girls." Seohyun managed a smile.

Star light, Star bright

The first star I see tonight

I wish I may, I wish I might

Have the wish, I wish tonight

She swung her legs over the window and stared up one more time.

"I almost forgot oppa."

She smiled widely and whispered.

"I love you, Jung Yonghwa."

The wind seemed to carry her voice up in to the air and it lingered there before it disappeared.

Then the window closed and all was silent.


"My name is Jung Yonghwa, what's yours?"

"Normally, I don't tell my name to random strangers that try to steal my ice cream."

The boy smiled and the girl tried not to laugh as the boy attacked her precious ice cream.

"But I'll make an exception for you. My name's Seo JooHyun."

The boy stared in to the girl's face. Taking every inch of it.

"What are you doing?" The girl asked.

"Taking your face in."

"Why?"

"So I'll never forget you."


A/N Surprisingly, I still have one more chapter to go! I'm also thinking about a sequel or a prequel, I'll keep you posted if I decide on anything. If you haven't, please subscribe to my other stories. Even if I do decide on a sequel, I'll be too busy to start it for a while because of my other two stories. So please read until the end, and subscribe and comment!