Promise and Lies

Baby Maybe

Seohyun gulped. Slowly, she picked up the phone.

"Hi, Yong!" She said brightly. 

"..." There was only heavy breathing.

"Yong? Are you okay?" Seohyun asked.

"You got... 30 seconds to explain to me... what happened....before I track you down..." Yonghwa said, coughing.

"Oppa, are you okay?"

"23 seconds left."

"I'm sorry, oppa. I don't know what happened. I didn't know that there was a papparazzi."

"Not that."

"Then what oppa?"

"Why were you and Junhee even talking about me in the first place?!"

"Because... oh." Seohyun was silent.

"Oh." Yonghwa mimicked. "Why were you even talking about breaking up with me?"

"Oppa.."

"You told me you'll never leave me!"

"Let me explain-"

"You know what? I don't care. I'm coming to get you."

"What?"

"Meet me in front of your house, or I will hunt you down," Yonghwa said and hung up.

Seohyun sighed. "Bye unnie," she said to Yoona. 

"Hyun, defend yourself. You didn't do anything wrong. Fighting!" Yoona smiled at Seohyun and walked away.

Seohyun sighed. "I'm the bad guy," she muttered and caught a cab to her house.


"Get in."

Yonghwa's hair was ruffled and he looked like he jsut came out of bed. Cringing, she stared at him.

"Oppa, what if people see me? I'm a cele-"

"Get in, SeoJooHyun, or I will drag you along with me tied to the car!"

"Okay, oppa..." Seohyun answered weakly. So much for standing up for herself.

Yonghwa started driving like a madman. He speed up then suddenly came to a stop, causing many honks and police to chase them.

Seohyun was covering her face with a blanket so she wouldn't be seen.

Finally, they stopped at an ice cream shop. It looked like a regular ice cream shop but to Yonghwa, it meant the world.

For Seohyun, it's where her nightmare started.

"Remember, Hyun? We met at this shop." Yonghwa's voice was calmer than before. 

"Yes, oppa. You just sat in the seat in front of me. I didn't even know you."

"This is the most special place in the world for me." Yonghwa sighed.

"I know it is oppa."

"I also know that this isn't your special place. I know your love is starting to weaken. No, it's already weakened. But I also know that I can make you love me again."

"Oppa-"

"Did you know you haven't told me you loved me for a year?"

"Oppa, I love you."

"No. That doesn't count. I don't want something like that out of pity, Hyun. I want it when you actually mean it."

"Oppa, let me talk."

"No, listen right now. I'm going to try to hate you. Meanwhile, I want you to try to love me again. Please. Six months. Six, that's it."

"Are you moving, oppa?"

"Um...no, why?"

"Because Junhee also said six months. Is something happening?" 

Yonghwa smiled weakly at her. "No, Hyun. It's just a coincedence." But Seohyun didn't realize the smallest tremble in Yonghwa's voice. 

"Can I talk now?"

"Oh, yeah!" Yonghwa smiled brightly.

"I.. don't think I can wait six months. I'm sorry oppa."

"What?" Yonghwa's smile was wiped off her face.

"Six months is an awful long time. It's half a year, and-"

"Seohyun, I gave in a lot. I want to say forever. Keep you by myside. But I.. cut it down. Because I know you won't be happy with me. But, can't you try?"

"..."

"Was I really only that much to you?"

"... I'm sorry oppa."

"If you're really sorry, you'd try. Because you know what will happen to me if I don't have you."

"..."

"Is Kyuhyun that great?"

It was the first time Kyuhyun's name came out of Yonghwa's mouth. 

"He's trying really hard... to not rip me apart, besides the fact that I'm being so mean and cruel... He's trying..." Seohyun thought.

If he can, I can. If he can try after all the things I did to break his heart, I can.

"Alright, oppa. Six months. I'll try." Seohyun said.

Yonghwa's face brightened. "Really?" He held up his pinky.

"Promise?"

Seohyun looked at Yong's face. Childish, still like a choding.

She nodded. "Promise," and she linked her pinky into Yong's.


When she walked into the SM building, Kyuhyun was spacing out on the stairs. 

"Seohyun! I was waiting for you since hours ago!"

"Why?"

"Well, I'm going on a quadraple date, and apparently to go on the date, I need a date. So since now's a better time than never, will you go out with me?"

Try, Yonghwa had said. That doesn't mean she can't say yes.

"Sure, oppa."

"Oh, and wear somthing pretty. All my friends have pretty girlfriends, but you... eh..."

"Oppa!"

"Kidding! You know I love you!" Kyuhyun wrapped Seohyun in a hug and walked away.

Seohyun stared blankly into space. She just made another mistake. She seemed to be doing that a lot lately.

What am I doing? Why am I like this? Where did my true self, the innocent one when I was 16, go?

What happened to the Seohyun I knew?


"Yonghwa... you need to stay in the hospital. Your situation is getting worse and worse. "

"No.."

"You can live longer if you stay in the hospital." 

"I"m gonna die sooner or later. I'll have less regrets if I stay with the people I love."

"Yonghwa, as your doctor, it's my responsibility that you get the most treatment possible."

"As my doctor, you also have to get the patient's approval."

"You are being stubborn."

"I need people I love more than I need treatment. You said the same thing last time, but I'm still alive, 5 months after when I was supposed to be dead."

"That was a miracle. It won't happen again. Plus, your cancer cells are almost 8 cm now. You should stop smoking."

"Just...leave... me.....alone...." Yonghwa threw a coughing fit again.

"If I leave you alone, you'll die within today." The doctor said kindly and helped Yonghwa up.  

"I don't care."

"Jung Yonghwa!" The man yelled at Yonghwa.

"You're not only my patient. You are my son."

"Don't get started on that again. I'm going now."

"You only lived because of Seohyun." Yonghwa's dad said.

Yonghwa froze.

"I see the way you brag about her every single day to us. But she hasn't been calling you for nearly a month. It's always you calling her. You never go out with her now. Are you sure she's-?"

"Don't say it."

"Yonghwa-"

"I said don't say it!" Yonghwa shouted.  

"You can illude yourself, but-"

"I'm NOT ILLUDING MYSELF! This... just.... leave me alone." Yonghwa stormed out of the office his face bright red with tears in the corner of his eyes. But he didn't let them fall.

 

A man is only supposed to cry three times.

Once when he's born.

Once when his dad dies.

Once when his mom dies.

 

For me, it's a little different, because I won't live long enough to see what most people see.

But I'll still cry three times.

Once when I was born.

Once when Hyun leaves me.

Once when I die, because I miss Hyun.

 

A/N I know this is a short chapter! Sorry! I'll update really soon.

Oh and did I mention the author likes subscribers? 

Please don't just go after reading!!! Leave a comment, because I am OBSESSED with them and they give me the energy to write the story!!! 

If you really don't know what to comment, I'll give you a theme- what did you think about this chapter's ending? I love this one, it's so sad and beautiful!! (Even though I'm the one that wrote it)