Should We Just Date?

Baby Maybe

Seohyun sighed happily as she sipped her coffee. 

She was going to break up with Yonghwa anyway. Better him do it than her, that way she won't hurt him.

She didn't know she tore his heart in to a million pieces and stomped on it already.

But she was happy. Here, in this cafe, with Kyuhyun. Holding hands and laughing as the other couples argued about a very controversial issue.

"You pronnounce it TO-MAY-TO, not to-ma-to like PO-TAY-To. you don't pronnounce potato like po-ta-to," the one of the guys argued.

Kyuhyun just stared at Seohyun, not believing that she was there with him.

It was perfect.

Too perfect.

Life is never perfect, and that's why at that moment, Yonghwa and Shinhye walked in the doors of the cafe.

"Oppa, you're so hilarious!" Shinhye cracked up and pinched Yonghwa's cheeks.

"Ow, that hurts," Yonghwa playfully shoved Shinhye away from him.

Then he noticed Seohyun, and he laughed harder than he was laughing before.

"Wow, Shinhye, you are AMAZING!" 

Seohyun cringed at the obvious effort to make her jealous and looked away.

"All right! Let's play the king game!" Kyuhyun shouted, also noticing Yonghwa.

A/N For those of you who don't know, king game is a game where one person is randomly chosen to be a king using sticks, then that person can order around other people who drew numbers. Ex) Person who drew #1, dance on the table.

"That sounds fun!" Seohyun said. The sticks were passed around and Seohyun's shoulder slumped as she drew out a number 2 instead of king.

One of the girls drew out king and yelped joyfully. "Alright, um... #2 and #5 kiss. I don't care if it's the same gender."

As muttering broke around the table to find the mysterious number, Seohyun peeked at Kyuhyun''s number and sighed. He was #3.

One of the guys, a guy with curly hair and looked awfully like Yong, stood up. It'll pain her too much to kiss him.

She reluctantly stood up, and everyone else started chanting "Kiss, kiss, kiss, kiss!"

Kyuhyun's face went rigid, but when Seohyun looked at Yonghwa, he was pokerfaced, chatting with Shinhye. He turned and their eyes met, and Seohyun quickly looked away. 

Whoever came up with the junk about staying friends with your exes was so wrong.

They inched toward each other very slowly and they were about two inches away when Kyuhyun suddenly said, "The alternate is here."

He kissed her and Seohyun, surprised, glanced over at Yonghwa.

This time, he was staring right at them, and maybe, just maybe, she saw his eyes twitch and him bite his lips. Then, he went back to poker face and turned away.

"This is so lame, Kyuhyun. Why'd you call us if you were gonna be a buzzkill?"

"She's my girlfriend. I can do whatever I want."

Seohyun smiled, still a little stunned, but inside, feeling terrible.


"Oppa, are you crying?" Shinhye looked at Yonghwa's eyes.

"Allergies."

"Oppa, you don't have allergies."

"Whatever, I'm fine."

Shinhye was about to say something but she stopped. Yonghwa, curious, stared at Seohyun's table. They all left because Kyuhyun was being a buzzkill. The table was empty.

I got to see her again. Just staring, pretending not to care. But just seeing her again, I immediately felt better.

Then Yonghwa turned around again. Seohyun was there, holding an eye contact with Shinhye.

Leave, Shinhye seemed to say.

"Why are you here?" Yonghwa spat out coldly.

"Why'd you break up with me?"

"... Isn't that what you wanted?"

"That's not what I asked."

"I left you because I didn't like you anymore. You're not the only one that can break up with people."

Seohyun stood there stunned. This was the Yong that loved her so much before.

She couldn't bear to see him anymore. She turned to leave.

"Yah," Yonghwa said, and for a moment Seohyun thought he was calling her.

She turned, but Yonghwa was staring at Shinhye.

"Should we just date?"

An arrow pierced her heart. Seohyun wanted to break up with Yonghwa. That's what she wanted to do.

Wasn't it?

Then why were tears falling down her face as she walked out of the cafe?


Reason that most relationships fail- one is loved too much, and the other isn't loved enough.

You made me cry. But only you can stop my tears. You're not here anymore.

What will I do? I will eventually stop phsically crying. I will learn to smile again.

But my heart never will, and it will always cry.


Yonghwa wanted to beat himself up until he died. 

Better do it now than wait 3 months. 

When Shinye shyly nodded, Yonghwa was crying inside.

"Oppa, I'll love you for the rest of the 3 months of your life. I always did."

By then, it was too late. Too late to say it was a stupid scheme to make Seohyun believe that he was happy and fine, just a joke. Shinhye thought it was real, and Yonghwa would break her heart if he said it was a lie.

So Yonghwa did what he did best, what he did for the last 6 years he dated Hyun.

He pretended he was happy. 

"No, Shinhye. You're my love lightn now, and forever, Hyun." Yonghwa said.

"Hyun?"

"What? I said Hye."

Shinye sighed. "Oppa, don't fool me. You love Seohyun ssi. Am I just a replacement for what she is?"

Yonghwa sighed. "Well, yes-"

"But can you learn to love me? I loved you since we were 5, oppa! I only loved you."

"But-"

"Even I don't want to be in a false relationship. Who does? But this, I wanted really badly. You broke my heart for the past 16 years. If you don't even try, you're a beast like Seohyun ssi."

Don't talk about Hyun that way. She's better than you.

But Shinhye's words reminded Yong of his own words that he said to Seohyun. The same pain, the same desparation to keep the thing they loved the most. 

Yonghwa also remembered the pain he felt when Seohyun didni't try.

He didn't want Shinhye to feel that pain. She was a close friend, nothing more, but that wasn't something you do to a friend.

Out of pity, he thought. I'll try out of pity.

Yonghwa held up his pinky and linked it with Shinhye's. "I'll try."


Breakups hurt only for one person.

Because everyday, while someone was falling in love, someone was falling out of love.

Then after the breakup, sometimes, just maybe, the later starts to regret it 

But it's too late, because the person that was falling in love fell out of love the day that person abandoned them.