Your Evil Twin

Letters Delivered by Angels (Editing)

Dear Jinki

 

I hope you’re healthy, don’t overexert yourself with work. Come back to visit sometime. Please?

Today I utterly embarrassed myself. Normally I wouldn’t tell you about these sorts of things, seeing as you’re probably going to use it to tease me but since you’re countless miles away… I’m going to share my dilemma with you.

This morning I was just coming back from buying a new charcoal pencil (that little twerp I call my brother decided to kill a cockroach using my previous one) when I noticed this guy walking in front of me had exactly the same jacket as you. My curiosity got the better of me like always, and I sped up past him whilst sneaking a glance. That’s when I realized he also had the same features as you, the eyes, the nose, the mouth… and then comes the dreaded moment.  I immediately assumed that was you and flung my arms around him. I admit I even cried (just a little bit so get off your high horse). When the guy I was hugging didn’t react I looked up to find that it in fact he wasn’t you at all. Everything looked the same, but his hair was peculiar, it was dyed ash brown, and he had a short side fringe, like the sort of style you’d see on G-Dragon or Jaejong or some other idol like that.  “My name’s… Onew,” he stuttered pointing at himself as he spoke.

I was so surprised that I had hugged a complete stranger that I jumped away and I…I kicked him in the shin… It get's worse, I even ran away shouting, “ert!” ...Maybe he’s your evil twin, set out to embarrass me in every way. Please don’t tell any of your college friends or your parents! Speaking of your parents, they’ve been avoiding me recently. Did you say something bad about me to them? You better not have!

My little brother is worrying my parents lately, he’s reached that age where he’s supposed to be interested in girls, but instead he's crazy for groups like 2 o' clock and SHINy (I think that’s what they’re called). I bought him a SNSD poster and he left it lying in the corner! Really, I don't think there's anything wrong with this, but of course mom is already mopping about how she can't have grandchildren (she's disregarded me completely too). Of course, I've mentioned adoption, but of course she's ignoring the voice of reason.

To be honest thought, my brother really is different from us when we were that age, right? I had a new found interest in art, while you began rigorous study to live up to your grandma’s expectations. During Junior High we discovered that remaining friends would be harder than we thought, but we still did our best to leave time for each other.  Our bodies were changing and we were maturing, everything became more difficult. You probably still remember the “Diaper” incident. I know we agreed to never talk about this, but still the story is quite funny isn’t it?

I made you come to Karaoke with “the circle of girls” from our class, and you agreed seeing as I was desperate to be friends with someone I could squeal over Shinhwa with. Everything was going smoothly when I stood up and found a red patch on the back of my skirt. Although it was my first time, I had been warned about it by my mom and I knew I needed to get home. Fast.

You could see the panic on my face and your eyes followed mine to that patch, “Hyerin, you have tomato sauce-“ 

Before you could finish your sentence I had covered your mouth with my hand, “Give me your jacket,” I commanded ,and weirdly you obeyed, maybe you were struck by the sudden force in my voice. 

I tied the arms of the jacket together around my waist, and we discreetly left the room. Everything was going fine as we sat on the bus together, heading home. That was, until a pad commercial popped up from the small TV in the front row of our seats. I could see your eyes widen dangerously as you established what was happening, slowly you turned to me and said something so loud everyone in the bus could hear, “Hyerin! We need to buy you a woman diaper!” Even the bus driver was snickering. I will never forgive you for that!

 

I'm feeling more lively today then usual, you can probably tell. :)

 

Come back soon,

 

Jang Hyerin