Chapter 09: The Artifact

The Price to Pay

 

Jimin teleported herself and Kai into Kai's room. Kai's white shirt soaking with blood that it had lost any trace of being white. Jimin pressed her two hand on Kai's chest. In the midst of confusion earlier, Jimin simply pulled Kai away from the metal rod, ignoring the consequences of her action on Kai. Kai's wound probably had shredded further and now Kai bleeding intensively. Now Jimin can only pray hard that her action will not cause Kai's death.
 
"LAY!!!"
 
For a moment they were only silence. Then like a sound of animal stampede in the safari,  Jimin can hear the boys rushing in. Lay was the first to opened the door and Jimin can see he is obviously shocked with what he saw.
 
The third degree burns on Kai's face and shoulder are exactly identical with Suho's, thus confirming Jimin's earlier fear. But the most horrifying sight is Kai's chest; torn opened, flesh can be seen shredded from the outside. Kai gasping hard for air as he slowly losing conscious.
 
"Hang in there Kai"
 
Lay rushed in and placed his two palms on Kai's chest. Lay can feel Kai's life is sweeping away. "Please! Hold on Kai!" Lay focus become intense as he tried to pull Kai's life essence back. Then like a work of art, muscles and flesh begin to regenerate and knitting together again. But Lay is getting exhausted as well, Kai's chest wound is too great for him to heal alone.
 
Baekhyun realized this and stepped in. Standing behind Lay, Baekhyun raised his hand, his two palms begin to light up. Then, a ray of bright white light emerge from Baekhyun's palms and directly into Lay's back.
 
Lay felt recharged. He focused on Kai's chest wound again. Again all the torn muscles and flesh begin to regenerate. Slowly the hole on Kai's chest begin to close. Eventually not even a scar visible on Kai's chest.
 
Lay let out a heavy sighed of relief. Then he noticed Kai's third degree burn on his face and shoulder. Lay proceed to heal them as well, with Baekhyun still channeling his light energy.
 
 

 
 
Lay slumped himself on the sofa. As soon as he closed his eyes he dozed off. Same goes to Baekhyun. Right after he healed Kai's burn wounds, he and Baekhyun proceed to heal Suho's burnt wounds as well. At that time Jimin had passed out of exhaustion. Kris carried her and placed her on Chanyeol's bed in Suho's room.
 
"Lay must had been the most hardworking in the past two days" commented D.O
 
Two days? Only two days? Thought Kris. It felt as it had been long.
 
"Lay is understandable, but Baekhyun? He is the last person I expect to get exhausted"
 
D.O nervously turned to Kris, signaling You couldn't possibly means?
Kris nodded.
 
"Things really serious now. We need to end everything soon"
 
"But how?"
 
"We need to kill Chanyeol"
 
The whole room become silent as the boys turned into one boy who gave out the suggestion. Sehun. Sehun noticed the concern looks on their face.
 
"Don't get me wrong hyung. I don't mean to be cold but this is the only option left to save Suho. And the rest of us"
 
"There must be another way!" protested Chen
 
"Honestly I couldn't think any" Sehun coolly remarked. "But the most important part is that we cannot use our power. We need to kill him in mundane way"
 
"Sehun dongsae" Kris approached Sehun. "You can't be serious about this?"
 
"What other option do we have hyung?"
 
Kris scratched his head. "We need to wait for Kai. Something tells me he knows something...and he better have good explanation to wander around alone and caused all these mayhem!"
 
 

 
 
Suho opened his eyes and staring blankly at the ceiling. Although Lay had healed his burn wounds, the pain is still lingering. Still laying on the bed, Suho moved his body aside and he can see Jimin laying on Chanyeol's bed.
 
Suho telepathically called Jimin, "Is everything alright?"
 
Still closing her eyes Jimin telepathically replied, "You should be worrying of yourself first Suho"
 
"I'm fine"
"Really?"
"Yeah. Kinda"
"You're a horrible liar"
"No I'am not"
 
Jimin opened her eyes slightly and peered to Suho. She finally spoke,
"Suho....I don't think you should be wasting your energy use telepathy"
Suho continue to reply telepathically, "I feel better this way"
Jimin closed her eyes again. She still felt exhausted after the earlier mayhem.
 
"Jimin"
"Yes?"
"Do you still remember how we first meet?"
"Never forget"
 
Suho smiled. And so does Jimin. Jimin cuddled the booster as her fond memories with Sho played in her head.
 
It was theree years ago, under a the Cherry Blossom tree during the Spring Festival at Jinhae, Suho was all by himself enjoying the festival.
 
Jimin, though she understood well her duty as the Balancer, she is restricted to have direct contact with other Exo members under normal circumstances, could not longer her feelings. In the past in her previous reincarnations she had served many Exo groups, with all the previous memories were carried along. Of all the Exo members she had observed and served, Suho is the first one that had caught her heart, and after years of solitude and observing from afar, she refuse to let herself feeling alone anymore.
 
Being the only person wearing  Hanbok that day, she instantly caught Suho's attention. They were an instant attraction between them. As they stroll along the road, enjoying the cherry blossom view with some chats, Suho eventually realized Jimin's identity. Being the Exo leader, Suho is very aware the existence of the Balancer, but never thought he would meet one during his lifetime.
 
"The last time I saw you smiling like this was that day"
 
Jimin woke up from daydreaming. She blushed as she covered her face with blanket.
 
 

 
 
Kai opened his eyes and he can see the boys were watching him.
 
"Kai! You finally awaken"
 
Kai get himself up and sit on the bed. He hold his chest as the pain still stinging.
 
"KAI!!"
 
Kai felt as if he just hear a roar of a vicious carnivore searching its prey. He turned towards the voice, Kris, who  is obviously angry.
 
"What were you thinking when you went there by yourself?!"
 
Kai stammered, "Hyung, I......."
 
"Do you know how many people were on trouble because of you? See how exhausted Lay and Baekhyun were? Jimin had collapsed since you two returned. Suho nearly die, You also NEARLY die!!"
 
Kai begin to sob. He knew all the troubles he had caused, and he meant any of them. "Hyung....I'm......I......I really so...."
 
Kris suddenly hugged the unexpected Kai. "After what we been through, the last thing I want to happened is to lose another brother....."
 
"Hyung...."
 
There were moment of silent as everyone begin to embrace Kai and Kris as well. Everyone was just grateful that Kai and Suho are ok.
 
"Now tell me Kai, why did you went to the factory earlier?"
 
"I discovered something. Kai inserted his hand into his trousers pocket, only to realize he is wearing different cloth from before.
 
"Your cloth were shredded and soaked with blood" explained D.O. "But I assume these notes have to do with your discovery". D.O took several notes that Kai had written earlier and passed them to Kai. "Are they the same you were carrying?"
 
"Yeah" Kai took the notes and begin to explained everything. Luhan was curious. "Why would Taemin want to know this sort of stuffs?". Kai shrugged. "All I know was he is doing for paranormal studies. Probably for his extra curriculum"
 
"It doesn't matter" interrupted Kris. "We need to investigate this further. I bet it had something to do woth Chanyeol's current condition"
 
"We need to get back to the factory"
 
"But you guys must be extremely careful"
 
The boys turned to the door. Jimin is standing, still looking weak, but a bit fresher. "Remember the Darkness can blind our vision. I had failed to see Kai earlier an Kai had failed to see Chanyeol"
 
They recalled the earlier incident. After discovering Kai is missing, Jimin feared that Kai had been captured and tortured. She desperately using remote viewing despite its draining her remaining energy. However she failed to locate Kai, not communicate with him telepathically, all her connections with Kai were cut by the Darkness. Only when Kai was dying the Darkness power over Kai broken.
 
"Obviously we need to be prepare the moment we reach there"
 
"And some need to stay behind to take care Suho"
 
"I'll stay" offered Xiumin. "Without Suho I'm a bit less effective. Might as well I stay here with him"
 
Jimin smirked. Good thinking.
 
"I'll stay too" offered Sehun. Kris pulled his dongsae shoulder. "Oh no you don't. You're coming with us!". With Sehun recent anger management and homicidal tendencies, the last thing Kris wanted to happened is to left Sehun unsupervised.
 
"We need an offensive at least"
 
"I'll stay" Luhan offered himself. "If Chanyeol come, at least I can hold him without actually hurt him since my power is not excatly elemental type".
 
"Then it is decided" declared Jimin. "Xiumin and Luhan will stay". Jimin paused. "I'll stay also. I'm sorry guys, I'm too exhausted to join you guys"
 
"It's ok Jimin-sshi" assured Kris. "You had been working hard"
 
Jimin gently smiled. The rest of the boys gathered around Kai. "Ready? 1,2,3!"
 
The boys then disappeared, leaving behind a trail of black smoke. Jimin, Xiumin and Luhan prayed that everything will be fine.
 
 

 

As soon as the boys teleported inside the factory, Chen and Sehun activate their power. Chen proceed to unleash massive electricity energy around them, in attempt to ward off any unwanted things.
 
Only after they secure the area they begin to explore. Kai lead them to the same room he been ealier. The room still pitch black so Baekhyun activated his light. This time Kai can see the wall mural more clearly, and thanks to Baekhyun's light he even found his cell phone that he had dropped earlier.
 
Kai also picked up the empty wooden box he discovered earlier, showing them to others. "Whatever inside here had been taken. Could it had been that artifact?"
 
"As the matter in fact it is". The boys turned to D.O. "While you were unconscious Kai, I was studying the notes you had noted down. I went into our library and guess what? I found a journal that have similar description to your note"
 
D.O waved the journal and proceed to open it. The rest of the boys closed themselves to D.O. D.O pulled Baekhyun closer, wanting clearer lighting.
 
"Based from Kai's note and also some further research I did on the net. What we might be looking for is The Lucifer Blood. It is known to capable stealing other people's life force and any magical powers. Or at least that's what the indigenous people believed"
 
"Why would they have this kind of artifact? Especially for the one that are quite peaceful"
 
"Probably for protection" suggested D.O. "They might use it to incapacitate the enemy. But look at this entry" D.O pointed at a section in the journal. "For some reason, if the artifact remained exposed for too long, it slowly corrupted its surrounding with negative energies. Which is why it was sealed into this...."
D.O picked up the wooden box with his another hand.
"...wooden box. Try to look at it, is there anything written or engraving on the box?"
 
Kai took the box from D.O and inspected it closely. "There's some engraving on it hyung!"
 
"Then were are on the right track!" D.O closed the journal, feeling triumph. "But the question is, who have it now?".
 
Chen closed himself to Kai and begin to  inspect the wooden box as well. "I'm more curious what it's made, or how the indigenous people got their hand on it"
 
Chen suddenly gulped.
 
"Could Chanyeol have it now?"
 
The boys looked at each other, then to Kai.
 
"I didn't see anything on Chanyeol. But....I couldn't be too sure. It was dark.." Kai begin to tremble. "....and back then I was..."
 
"It's ok Kai"
 
Kris cut in. He did not want his dongsae to remember his horrifying moment. Come to think again, everything just happened moments ago. If not because of Lay's healing Kai would either still in critical condition, or worse a goner. But now he is standing and act like normal, as if nothing had happened.
 
Fear suddenly crept into Kris and he felt uneasy. "I think we should be back now. I felt un...."
 
"Guys over here!"
 
The boys turned to Tao, who is standing at another corner of the room, facing the wall with his cell phone light flashing on it. "I think I found another mural!"
 
The boys rushed to Tao. Baekyun flashed his hand to the wall. The wall is rather dirty, soothed with black ashes as the result of the burn, thus covering most part of the murals. But D.O is able to recognized it. "I think I saw this one as well in the journal earlier" D.O flipped open the journal, searching pages by pages.
 
"Found!"
 
The boys closed themselves to D.O. D.O pushed some of them away, wanted some space for himself. D.O studied  the content. "I believe this will answer your question Chen..."
 
D.O become pale.
 
"What is it hyung?"
 
D.O began to tremble. He tried to regain his composure but he find it hard to do right. "I....I could be wrong here you know..."
 
The boys become curious. Kris however begin to feel nervous as well.
 
"Guys"
 
The boys changed their attention to Kris.
 
"I think we better leave this place. Now. We discuss this at home. We shouldn't leave the others too long either"
 
D.O instantly agreed. The rest of the boys nodded as sign of agreement. Everyone gathered around Kai.
 
"Ready? 1,2,3!n
 
Nothing happened.
 
"Huh?"
 
The boys exchanging looks. Kai focused again.
 
"1,2,3!"
 
Again nothing happened.
 
Cold sweat begin to drip from Kai's forehead. This can't be happening Kai nervously turned to Kris. "This room!" remarked Kris. "Leave this room now!!"
 
The boys ran towards the door, but before they could reach it the door, an unseen force suddenly slammed shut. The boys attempted to open the door but to their horror, the door had become jammed. A coarse voice, laughing menacingly can be heard, echoing the empty factory.
 
"It's them! The Darkness"
 
Kai began to tremble and hugged himself in fear. Kris embraced Kai to comfort him.
 
The cloud of Darkness begin to filled the room. Chen and Baekhyun tried to activate their powers but to their horror their power starting to become weaker. Bekhyun's light becoming dimmer as times goes by, and so does Chen's lighting.
 
"The room is cursed!"
 
D.O frantically opened the journal, hoping he can find something to help them right now.
 
The cloud of Darkness is getting closer to them.
 
 

 

"He you go"
 
Xiumin placed to three cups of tea on the table. Jimin and Luhan smiled and gratefully nodded to Xiumin.
 
"I hoped the boys doing fine"
 
"They will Xiumin, they will" assured Luhan. "They have three offensives with them, they should be fine"
 
"I hope so" Jimin sipped her tea. "What we're are dealing now is far from ordinary. Honestly I'm worried. Especially now that I'm so weak I couldn't even sense any of them"
 
Luhan and Xiumin exchanged nervous looks. Jimin realized her mistake and tried to divert their worries. "Xiumin-sshi, my tea is quite hot, can you make them cold a bit?"
 
"Gladly"
 
Xiumin placed his hand on the top of the cup. Jimin can feel the cup become colder. "Try now". Jimin sipped. The tea is now warm, much to her liking. "Thank you Xiumin-sshi"
 
Xiumin smiled.
 
 

 

Suho opened his eyes. Suho forced his heavy body to get up, his head is still felt heavy and Suho had to hold the bedside table to help him to stand. Slowly with heavy steps Suho headed to the window. The window is not far but with his current condition every steps he made is agonizing and felt like it took forever to reach it.

 
Suho standing still in front of the window and staring outside blankly. Outside is dark, saved for the silver lights from the full moon illuminating the forest.
 
Suho telepathically begin a conversation "So you're coming now?"
 
From afar a figure slowly closing to the house.
 
Chanyeol smiled.
 
"Yes I'am Suho"
 
Fire emerged from Chanyeol's two hands
 
"Get yourself ready Suho"