Chapter 04: The Phoenix

The Price to Pay

 

 

Chanyeol furiously thrown several fireballs to Kris. Kris elegantly avoid them, causing Chanyeol to become more furious and he begin to throw more fireballs. Chanyeol’s actions become more erratic as time goes by. This is when Kris noticed the black tint in Chanyeol’s flames had become bigger, as if it was spreading throughout the yellowish red flames.

 

What the hell is that?

 

Kris accelerate his flight towards Chanyeol and within seconds he is right in front of Chanyeol. Despite the flames merging from Chanyeol’s body, Kris did not hold back. Kris raised his fist, preparing to punch Chanyeol, hoping to wake up Chanyeol from all the madness.

 

This is when he noticed something strange; Chanyeol’s expression. Chanyeol’s expression is blank. It may looked like a calm person expression, but something is off and very unnatural. And his eyes. Somehow they appeared lifeless. Kris was off guard when Chanyeol grabbed his hand. In a monotone voice, Chanyeol threaten Kris, “I don’t think so Kris”. Flames begin to form in Chanyeol’s hand.

 

Kris managed to twist his hand from Chanyeol and flied off  into sky. Cold sweat begin to drip. What…? What the hell was that?!

 

Then it hit Kris.

 

Could that be…?!

 

Kris recalled an accident few months ago. Eight months ago to be precise.

 

 


 

 

An unknown force attacking the town area, leaving many people in comatose state. The Exo sensed the force and gave them a chase around the town where they finally confront it in an abandoned factory. They could not make out what exactly the force they been sensing, but they know it’s something malicious and corrupted. It appeared in a form of black mist.

 

From the black mist it manage to materialized into many things; mostly into vicious beasts. The Exo managed to destroy most of the beasts when one of them destroyed some part of the factory and machinery, causing fire. Baekhyun eventually managed to drive away the force with his light.

 

The fire however soon out of control and most of the members are scattered around. Tao stopped the time so the other members can escaped to safety. However, he didn’t realized that one more beast is still lingering around and apparently was not affected by the time stop.

 

The beast proceed to attack Tao off guard and Tao was thrown away and hit hard on the wall. The time moved again and the fire begin to spread fast. Luhan found Tao just before the beast trying to maul on him. Luhan telekinetically shred the beast into pieces and rushed to Tao. Tao’s head is bleeding and his had lost his conscious.

 

Kai begin to teleport around to find and rescue other members to outside the factory. Kris fly around to find other members. Chanyeol was the only person with least concern. Being the guardian of fire, the fire could not burn him. Because of thet he joined Kai and Kris is the rescuing mission.

 

Suho in the other hand trying to extinguish the fire with his water as he struggled to escape. Kris spotted him and grabbed him and took him outside. From outside Suho continue to extinguish the fire.

 

Chanyeol eventually found Luhan, piggy backing unconscious Tao. Luhan had been using his telekinesis to drive away the fire, and Chanyeol can see Luhan is getting exhausted and could collapsed as well at anytime. Chanyeol effortlessly drove away all the fire in their surrounding. Kai then teleported in. Kai and Chanyeol nodded to each other and Kai teleported away with Luhan and Tao.

 

Kris spotted Chanyeol. “Only D.O is left! Chanyeol get on! I’m taking you out first!”

 

“Find D.O first hyung!”

 

Kris eyes widened. Chanyeol drove away the fire that was getting near him. “Kris hyung! I will be fine! Go find D.O first!”

 

Kris reluctantly left as he know they have no time to argue. Chanyeol walk calmly toward the exit when he heard a loud creaking sound. Chanyeol turned and was horrified to see another beast above him on the second floor platform.

 

Outside the factory, Lay was healing Tao. Tao opened his eyes and immediately get on his knees but Lay told him to lay down and assured him that everyone is safe. Kris emerged from the factory with D.O on his back. D.O coughed hard and Lay begin to heal D.O.

 

Kris get on his knees and panted heavily. “Is everyone safe?”

 

Suho looked around and become pale. “Where’s Chanyeol?”

 

Everyone become pale. Suho rushed to the factory and create another mass of water, tempting to extinguished the fire. Kris wanted to fly in but Kai stopped him. “You work hard hyung. Take a rest” Kai teleported into the factory again.

 

No long later Kai teleported to the group. His face was pale. “Chanyeol hyung….Chanyeol…”

 

The fire had extinguished. Near the entrance they found a body. They can recognized it. It’s Chanyeol, with large factory debris on top on him. Suho and Kris studied the factory ruins and noticed some parts of the factory roof were missing. They assumed it had collapsed and crashed on Chanyeol, and since fire could not harm Chanyeol, the crash must had killed him.

 

The boys begin to cry when Xiumin noticed a small spark of fire merging below Chanyeol’s body. Suddenly a massive flame burst out from Chanyeol body and formed a phoenix shape. The boys backed up. The Phoenix and the fire then disappeared, revealing Chanyeol standing, but unconscious. As Chanyeol collapsed, Suho went to get him and they both on their knees.

 

The rest of the boys eyes widened.  Xiumin could no longer hold back “What’s going on here?”

 

Still examining unconscious Chanyeol, Suho explained, “Most of us, apart of our active elemental powers, we also have passive powers. Chanyeol is fire, a phoenix; his passive power apart of remain unharmed by fire, is resurrection”

 

 


 

 

Kris snapped back to reality. He recalled though everything went back normal after the incident, however, not long afterward, Chanyeol begin to act strange. Although everyone is aware Chanyeol is a bit jealous of Suho and Kris (refer to Exo Prelude), his loyalty to Exo is the only thing that maintained their relationship.

 

But now everything just like an explosion. Chanyeol simply lashed out everything. Was the death had something to do with it? Or was it the resurrection? Wondered Kris.

 

Chanyeol then create a massive fire arrow, almost like a flame thrower toward Kris. Kris avoided it but lost balance and fell on the ground. Chanyeol took the opportunity to throw more fireballs. Luhan telekinetically destroyed few fireballs but missed the last one.

 

Kris watched in horror as the fireball charging fast towards him. He knew the Fire Dragon could not come out to protect him this time.

 

Then suddenly, as if there’s an invisible wall of shield appeared before Kris, preventing the fire from reaching Kris. The fire spread away, causing the dust in the desert to fly around. As the dusts slowly disappearing, Kris can see a figure standing in front of him.

 

A girl, wearing a red mini dress with Scottish pattern, with a matching headband on her shoulder length straight raven black hair, and a pair of black knee length boots.

 

“To raise your hand against your brothers is one thing. But to use the elements against your brothers is another thing". The girl stared at Chanyeol, obviously unhappy. "Chanyeol, you’re getting bolder”