Cliché || Part Eight

Cliché

Lee Ji Eun and Byun Baekhyun have been hanging out around each other for over a month now, yet none of them has ever confessed their love for each other. No one knows whether their love is mutual or one sided, or maybe it’s just simple likings for each other. No one know for sure, yet one thing that people could see, they love being around each other. They could never get bored, doing the same thing together all over again.

The girl remain unnoticed and invisible in society, despite her beauty and charms, maybe it’s her country bumpkin appearance but Baekhyun still likes her. She’d wait for him every day, sometimes she’d wait for him at the library downtown, the café, or the park where they first met. It was nice and enjoyable, to watch her waiting for him. Sometimes she would day dream, exposing her beautiful features and some other time she’d spent her time reading or singing. Baekhyun likes it, the fact that they both have gone closer.

Byun Baekhyun too has turned cheerful these days. He looked creepy, with a smile plastered all over his face for the whole month. It’s unusual to see him genuinely smiling around, giving smiles and warm greeting to all people in the world. He studies well these days and all of this happens because of the one and only Lee Ji Eun. However, despite his mother and sister urge with an additional of the EXO, he has yet to introduce his girl yet. He was waiting, for the day to come, when he could finally announce he’s no longer single and dating a beautiful girl.

Enough for the rant. It was another day, rather than sunny the sky seems a bit gloomy today. The trees turn skinny and rather lonely. They were leave with their trunk, their leafs were gone and sweep away ages ago. The windy weather turn cold and chilly, the coldness struck to his bones, despite his effort putting on warmer clothes. Somehow, although the snow hasn’t fallen yet, the view has turn beautiful. It is melancholic and sad, with no flowers nor leafs, nor the green colors of the trees and the bright clear sky. He thinks it’s beautiful, with one clicked, he captured all of them. Yes, its winter now, and fall has long gone.

College ended early today, since it will be winter vacation soon. He wonders if he could spend the first snow together with Jieun. It will be romantic and great, maybe it’ll be the right time to confess. With the thought in mind, he brought his feet to the shops downtown, near the old man’s place. He has figured it out not too long ago, two blocks away from the place, there’s a flower shop. It’s a small one, but the flowers there are indeed beautiful. It is made by love and they took a great care of it. At least, Baekhyun could sense the sincere city there. They didn’t do this for works; they did this because they loved it.

“A bouquet of yellow chrysanthemum please.” Baekhyun requested.

“Ah, is this for that girl again? She’s one lucky girl.” A woman in her mid 40’s chuckled and smiled, seeing how the boy has become one of her favorite customer.

“Yes, it is.” Baekhyun nodded shyly.

“From the look of it, it seems you’re obsessed over her. I wish you two all the best and hope you could be together soon.” She handed him the bouquet.

Baekhyun have been sending her flowers, without knowing whether she knows the hidden meaning lies behind those. She had stated nothing but thank you each time he gives her flowers. If she ever realizes it, the meaning of those pointed out one single thing, how much he loved her. He wanted to be daring enough and confessed to her, or at least bringing her flowers with obvious meaning, but he fears she isn’t ready yet. The two are close enough but love need more than closeness. He has been giving her various flowers, but his most daring one is still the purple lilacs. The first time he mustered up all of his courage to tell her he has begun to love her.

***

Lee Ji Eun was waiting in a café, the café Baekhyun took her the first time they met. She’s been adapting to the city life, although the way she dressed wasn’t something that could be help. She’s still that country bumpkin, with simplicity as her beauty, wearing flower-pattern dress wherever she goes. She sipped her coffee, a rather sweet one to fit her taste. She tasted the bitter one before and it ended up with her cringing at the bitterness.

As usual, rather than bringing her guitar or paper to scribbles on, she spent her time reading books. Well, Baekhyun may not found any necessity for her to attend college. She has read all the books in the library and also the book store downtown. She has smarter brain than those who has attended college and maybe that’s for the better. She might found some complexity of adjusting to college life.

The tingling sounds of the bell echoed, signaling another customer has arrived. Jieun took a quick glance to the clock, located next to the counter – 4 p.m. Her lips soon curl up to make another beautiful smile. Her vision soon blinded with a pair of hands covering her eyes, it’s big and warm, not to mention gentle. Her charming smile soon breaks to a wider grin.

“Who is this?”

“Guess who it is!”

“Baekhyun!”

It took him the whole month to make her feel comfortable to drop off the formalities. They called each other name casually without the addression they used to add. Baekhyun smiled upon hearing her soothing voice calling out his name. She quickly turns around and welcomed him with a warm smile. He can’t help it but letting his heart to skip beautiful beats and quickly smiled at her. He likes it, having someone waiting for him every time the day ends. If it’s how having a marriage feels like, he won’t mind marrying her, not at all.

“Have you been waiting for long?”

“No,” she adorably shook her head and stares deep to his brown orbs.

“Good then. This is for you.” Baekhyun handed her the flowers he had just bought.

Jieun accepted it with a huge smile and quickly hugs it. She brought it to her nose and the fresh scent feels her lungs. It smells nice and fresh. She mouthed a thank you without saying anything else, just like usual. It was slightly upsetting to Baekhyun, but he’s contented. She’d always made that happy face every time he brought her flowers.

“And I have another gift for you.” Baekhyun handed a neatly-wrapped box, with red ribbon on top to makes it even prettier.

“Ah? What is this? It looks so pretty.” Jieun examines the box with curiosity glimmering in her eyes.

“Why don’t you open it and tell me what you think?”

Jieun quickly opens the box only to leave hanging open. She was rather surprised by the gift, it wasn’t something a boy would give to a girl, but still it felt special. Jieun smiled and mouthed another thank you. Baekhyun shyly nodded, scratching the back of his head while his cheeks turn slightly pinkish.

“The last time we meet, you told me you don’t have a phone. So… I thought… why don’t I buy you one? It’ll be great, although we can’t see each other; we could still contacted each other. It’ll be great right? I won’t have to feel lonely, and you won’t have to be scared.”

“But Baekhyun, isn’t this expensive?!”

“No, just think of it as a birthday present and everything you have given to me. You have always been the loyal and kind one. You make me breakfast and lunch every day and you’d wait for me all day long. So think of this as a thank you gift.”

“This is wonderful, Baekhyun!” she spontaneously hold his hand, “what can I do for you?”

“What can you do for me?” Baekhyun was blushing because of her sudden touch before a smirk appears before his face, “why don’t we go on a date for today?”

Jieun smiled beautifully, “I thought you’d never ask.”

***

Lee Ji Eun would be lying if she ever said she didn’t find him attractive. Slowly, he attracts her even more. He has succeeded to make her heart skips beautiful beats and butterflies in her stomach; he has succeeded to make her blush. He has succeeded, making her feel secure by his touch and his warmth. She may have come to like him a lot, truly liking him, she may have affection for him, but still she wonder if it’s love. Sometimes, the flower he gave her made her even more confused.

She doesn’t like when men are being blunt, neither would she love it if they’re too hesitant. The purple lilacs, the first time she saw it, she became naïve, believing he loved her and she loved him too, but as time pass by he loses his blunt self. Its yellow chrysanthemum today, it meant the precious one, the dear one. Jieun had been re-reading some books to understand floriography. She has been wondering if the meaning hidden behind those flower is his true intentions of sending those. But he had never said a thing.

He told her that he started to love her by the purple lilacs but then things started to turn blurry. The yellow chrysanthemum, it could mean many things. If he holds her dear then how dear is she? How is she dear? Is she someone he looks as a woman or as the younger one? It left her wondering a lot. She may seem bright and bubbly, but her darker side is indeed undeniable. When it rises, the flowers made her even more confused and anxious.

“Jieun, we’re here!” Baekhyun called her. Oh, how she loved the way he called out her name. She shook her head to stop herself from spacing out.

“The… shop?” Jieun tried to read the huge letter but only to find it confusing.

“We’re buying some photo frames and also photo albums. Help me to pick the good one. I know you’ve excellent taste.” Baekhyun took her hand and guide her in.

It was a huge gallery and Jieun was impressed by the shop. It’s impossible to call it a shop when it’s very huge and somehow it looked grand. Jieun has never been to such a place before, even if she ever went to such a place, she bet it is this much big. Everyone there was dressing nicely and formally and from the way they walked and talked, Jieun could see how well-educated they are and how rich their family must be. They’re not an average person like Lee Ji Eun and at times like this she loses her self-confidence.

***

“Well, your taste isn’t bad at all. It’s great! Everything you pick is fabulous!” Baekhyun complimented.

“I don’t think I’m that good.” Jieun chuckled upon hearing his reaction. They bought plenty of things today.

“This is fun, you know, spending time together and looking around.”

“Yes, it’s fun. I love it. But… can I do something more? You know the phone… and also… I think spending time with you is fun.” She shyly looked down with pinkish cheeks.

Baekhyun could not reject it; the happiness and the heart-thumping feeling that suddenly come rushing to him. He broke to a smile as an idea comes to her. He was very happy, firstly because she had just confessed to him how she liked spending time with him. It’s a once in a lifetime chance.

“Then… would you go out with me? Tomorrow night, for dinner.”

Jieun was extremely happy when she heard the word go out, especially when he offers it himself. She’s going on a date with him, how can she not be happy? This is the first time he ever expresses himself so bluntly despite his red ear from being embarrassed. Yet her world comes crushing down when the word night come to her. She’d love to spend dinner with him yet the word night has made it all worse. She was upset and rather disappointed but maybe that man would be even more disappointed.

“Dinner? Night? Tomorrow? I mean… tomorrow night?” Jieun sighs, avoiding his hopeful and bright gaze, “I’d love to spend dinner with you Baekhyun. I think it’d be fun… it’s just… I can’t really go out at night.”

He was upset and rather disappointed, it made Jieun felt guilty yet she had no choice. His smile turns into a frown as he tried hard to persuade her. Jieun could swear, if it’s some other time, if it’s morning or afternoon, she’d be pleased to go out with him and be invited for lunch or just some snacks. She’d loved it, she could spend the whole night being excited over it, yet… it can’t be the same when it’s night.

“Come on, Jieun! You’re twenty already! You could hang out until one in the morning or even until the sun rises! Come on, it’s just a dinner.” Baekhyun pleaded.

“Baekhyun, I’m really sorry it’s just… I can’t when it’s night.”

“Why, Jieun? You even sleep at the old man’s place! What’s wrong with going out with me for dinner?”

She was stunned, there’s something about that night, something she has yet to tell him. There are lots of things about her that she hasn’t told him. They may have gone very close but there are things Byun Baekhyun will never know about her. She, too, would have to keep it from him for the rest of her life. It’s a little secret that only some knows, a secret if you ever dig deeper of her darker side.

“Baekhyun… I’d love to go out with you. If it’s in the morning or in the evening when the sun is still up, I’ll never say no. I’d love to eat out with you but it’s just…”

“No, I can understand. See you tomorrow then.”

Without another word, he walked away.

***

It was a clear night sky on winter. It was freezing and Jieun would have to tighten her coat or else she might died because of the chilly cold weather. She bit her lips to stop herself from trembling. The sky was dark and gloomy. She could see the crescent moon and stars glittering up in the sky. She blows her breath; it creates fumes that flow up to the sky. She looked rather sad and melancholic; her eyes reflected the clear pain of a broken person with a damaged heart.

It was one of the despicable places. She could smell the violence and the blood. She could hear punches, groans, and helpless cried. She felt goose bumps just by passing it and now her feet are bringing her to the place. She could smell the strong scent of alcohol and liquor, pukes, and drugs. She could also hear countless pleadings and begging, some women trying to get away, and some breathless body on a corner.

She stood in front of one small room, the door was rusty and she could smell liquor coming out from it. It was the most despicable one, dirty and smelly. It looked empty and lonely, melancholic and sad. No sound could be heard from the inside yet when the sun rises, it was told how the owner would turn to a crazy man. He’d turn brutal and cruel, even more than those gangster and abusive men. But without the slightest hesitation, she knocked on the door.

It swung open in no time, a figure of a man appeared. He tried to dresses up nicely, the best he could ever done. From the look of it, Jieun knows how messy his life has turned out to be. She could smell liquor coming out from his body, and also the faint scent of his body odor. He’s a mess but conscious enough to continue living on. Jieun greeted him with a friendly hi. He’s in pain, he’s living his darker side, just like how the real Lee Ji Eun is – living her darker side at night.

“I miss you.” The man huskily whisper with a smile upon his face, he wrapped his arms around her waist.

The rumors said the truth, how the man would turn handsome and gentle during night, when his girl comeback to him. He would genuinely smile, rather than turning to a messy and trashy man, he turned handsome and perfect during night. He hugs her tight, to his embrace and kisses her. He was trying hard not to break her, not to lose her again. He cried.

“I miss you, too.” She replied.


Author Note

I actually plan to update all three of my stories today, but ended up only being able to accomplish two of them. Well, it's been a while. The inspiration just come to me when I decided to update my other story, the Backstage Couple. I spent the whole night writing this, so yeah I hope you like it. Don't you think the plot is a bit too slow? I'm trying to fasten this, well, maybe I'd rush it. That's all for now. Tell me your opinion! Comments and subscribe!