Cliché || Part Ten

Cliché

It was a beautiful winter night, when the wind blows rather gently and it was mild, rather than dry and cold like usual. The dark sky was clear without fogs, tiny starts sparkles upon the night. The street was decorated with bright lightning, as if winter is about to come. Byun Baekhyun was sitting next to the window in his room, enjoying the scenery. It’d be nice to sleep, the weather is perfect and pretty, yet he’s too excited to be sleeping at time like this.

There was that smile – the smile only those who have been in love knows; a smile of a man in love. It was so beautiful, the smile that curl his lips up. He looked handsome with the poor lightning from the full moon. He cupped his face with both his palms and rested his elbow against the wooden table. His heart, it skipping wonderful beats, and suddenly skipping the beats doesn’t feel that bad anymore.

He spent the night sleepless, nervously yet happily waiting for the next day. He hopes the sun would shine the brightest, the sky would be the prettiest, and the weather would be the nicest. He hopes it’d be the best day. He hopes everything would turn out just fine. Most of all, he hopes to see her. He badly wanted to see her, holds her close and conveyed all of these hidden feelings. He was excited, his heart loudly thumping.

When she’s with him, did she ever notice his thumping heart? Suddenly, the embarrassment turns to happiness. It’d be great if she ever notice his loud heartbeats. Someday, in the future, he truly wanted to be by her side, listening to each other heartbeat. He wanted to know whether her heart skips beats when they’re together, just like how his skips. He looked up to the sky, to see the rare shooting stares.

They said shooting stares has the magic to fulfill a person wish. Byun Baekhyun stops believing in it ages ago, when his wishes upon a shooting stares and it failed. He used to wish to be a good son, so his relationship with his father would be better but it has never come. He stopped believing it, yet the love Jieun has brought upon him has changed his realistic self to a more naïve one. He clutches both his hands and closes his eyes, wishing upon the shooting stars. He once again smiled satisfyingly, hoping it’d come true.

The dawn comes without him noticing. He has been spacing out all night long, while swapping through his album’s photo. It was an album full of her photos, the moments they spent together and her solo shoot. The photos he captured without her knowing. She looked charming, in each and every shoot. He saw her every day, yet her charm never bore him. She was originally charming, which made Baekhyun adores her so much more.

The dawn looked prettier than usual. Suddenly the world looks prettier to him. The sky was painted with a faint yellowish color, breaking the darkness. The sparkling stars soon faded, one by one, as the moon followed them soon after. He could see the sun, rising from the horizon. It made his heart thumps even more, knowing he’d be able to see her soon. Everything he ever wanted to know and hear, about her and her feelings, he has heard it all yesterday. Everything he ever needed to know is all clear. He has the confidence.

Byun Baekhyun, even the perfect man failed to hide the fact that he’s rather nervous. His hear thumping loudly, he oddly sweats during a cold winter day. He was smiling for no reason, as he searches for the nicest suits inside his closets. He picked out his favorite cardigan, something he’d only wear during special occasions and a v-neck shirt that exposed his jaw line and collarbones. He stood before a dusty mirror – something he hasn’t used for long – fixing his hair and checking up his appearance. He looked perfect.

His mother, after months of busyness has finally returned to an ordinary housewife. The smell of toast greeted his nose early in the morning. It was his favorite toast, his mom’s. It was fresh-baked as usual and the smell made his stomach growls. The sounds of chirping birds filled his house, bringing peace upon the silence. He took his way downstairs, humming his favorite songs about a man who adores a girl, something that fit his situation perfectly.

However, his wish once again failed to come true. The shooting stars might be holding some kind of grudge upon him. His mother, a beautiful woman in her mid40s, is known as a neat and tidy woman, clean and rather diligent not to mention smart. She’s a cheerful one, she rarely turn anxious and uneasy, but today she looked the opposite. She was being lousy, breaking several plates already as the pieces of it are shattering on the ground. She keeps biting her lower lips, looking all pale and worn-out. It made Baekhyun wonder what has made his lovely mom that much uneasy.

“Good morning.” He greeted politely and took his usual seat.

“Baek- Baekhyun, you’re awake!”

“Yes. You look rather tired today, did something happen?” Baekhyun asked as his mother serves his breakfast and poured him a glass of fresh milk.

“No. No. I’m fine. Baek – Baekhyun, yesterday… I heard you met a girl, is… is that true?” and again, she looked even more uneasy.

“I did.”

“Why don’t you bring her over for dinner? I wanted to meet her.”

“Mom, what’s with the rush? It’d be too –“

“I wanted to see her. Is something wrong?”

“I’m not sure if she could come over for dinner. She can’t go out at night. I’ll try to bring her over for some snacks, later in the evening.”

***

His life used to be very casual. There is nothing to look forward to; he had neither goals nor dreams. He had nothing to be happy about or things to be excited, all he had was things to be upset about. He’d start his day by escaping breakfast early in the morning, avoiding his father all day long. By noon, he’d be the guy who every girl adores. He’d receive countless offers for a date or sometimes a stay over. An invitation to a party is something inevitable. He will have to turn down all of those offers, no matter how pretty and interesting they looked. He wasn’t interested in love or girls. He wasn’t interested in anything, with that on his mind; he will have to continue his day with the boring classes he attends in university. By the end of the day, nothing will change to a better one. His house isn’t his home, by night, dinner would be his nightmare. He and his father would be turning the table around, fighting over simple things. Truly, nothing about him and his perfect life is special.

But it changes, once he, as a man, found a girl he adores so much. Every morning when he wakes up, it didn’t feel that bad anymore. He could smile, he could enjoy the chirping birds, he could enjoy breakfast. At noon, he’d study well for her, as she always wishes him the best for his studies. He doesn’t want to disappoint the girl he adores so much. By the end of the day, things will turn even greater. He will be seeing her, her petite yet charming figure that charms him even more day by day. He can’t stop smiling; her presence seems to be the only thing he need. By night, dinner doesn’t seem that bad anymore. Although he often flipped the table, his body and soul would calm down when she passes through his thoughts.

It was everything by now, he and his perfect life. It wasn’t a casual thing anymore, but rather an extraordinary thing. He had stuff that awaits him as happiness, a less troublesome matter and a lot more smiling. He could smile genuinely, unlike those fakes smile he needed to create for someone else comfort. She was always smiling, genuinely, comforting him, and it made him smile in everything. By now, he had a lot to look forward to, with her in his life. Without him realizing, he hold her dear, she became a very important person to him.

Today, too, he was looking forward to the evening. He loved it, each time the clock gracefully strike 4, indicating it’d be his time to look for her and meet her. The sky would turn rather very pretty, painted in a beautiful mixture of pink and orange, blending together with the yellowish sun rays. The weather would turn the nicest; it won’t be too hot or too cold, especially when he’s with her. It becomes his favorite time of the day and it’ll always be his favorite time of the year – it will be the time of him meeting her. He never knows he could fall for a girl, not to this extent. But now, no matter how hard he tried to deny the fact, he fall harder for her.

He took his joyful steps to the park, the place where they met and will always meet.  A charming petite figure, dress in a floral one-piece was standing. She glows with her charms, standing out among the crowd. She looked very pretty today, just like always. It seems she’ll always grow prettier day by day, more and more charming every day. It made his heart calm and soothing, in peace, after all the ruckus he had. She’s his sun upon rain, she’s his rainbow upon hardships, she’s his comfort upon storm and blizzard. She’s everything to him.

It was typical, how he’d walk up to her, sneaking from behind, and uses both his palms to blind her vision. She’d chuckle, just like always, it sounded so beautiful that his heart would linger for more. She’d call out his name soothingly, sweetly, as it made his cheek flush in faint pink. She’d smile, the beautiful smile he loved so much. By then, he’d wrapped an arm around her waist and rested his chin against her small shoulder and took a deep breath. He could smell her scent, it was nice. And today, he wanted it to be very special. He planted a kiss, on her cheek, as both of them immediately turn pink. He could only smile, with his loud heartbeats thumping against his chest.

“Good evening, Baekhyun.” She greeted with his favorite greetings. Her cheeks were still pinkish after the kiss Baekhyun planted on her cheek. She wasn’t daring enough to look at him in the eyes, which he consider as cute.

“Good evening. Have you been waiting for long?” He asked and she shook her head, sneaking glances at him.

“Do you want to take a walk?” He asked again, as she was still faintly pinkish, embarrassed about the kiss.

“No,” she shook her head, “I want to go on a date.” She smiled and tugs his shirt.

Baekhyun was surprised. She’s shy; she’s supposed to be shy. He never expects her to be this blunt and straightforward. It made him wonder if both of them share the same feelings. Although she had conveyed most of it the previous day, he was quite blurry toward the fact whether they share the same feeling. But today, seeing how she mustered up all of her courage to ask him out, it made him happy.

“Let’s go on a date, then.”

He wasn’t the one to make the first move, unlike the usual. He was gesturing her to walk first, and he would followed her closely from behind. But today, she wishes for something else. She lowered her head, staring blankly at their hand that brushes against each other. She turn pink, her cheeks looks pretty in pink, as she extended her pinkie and linked it with his. They were walking together, with their pinkie linking. Baekhyun could only faintly smile, while Jieun wasn’t too shy to show her happiness. She was smiling widely.

They walked to the downtown, where the shops were all open. It was a relaxing evening with a beautiful sky. It made a tingling feeling in his heart, and it seems she felt the same way. He was sneaking glances at her and something about her smile felt special. It was more than beautiful, better than usual. It seems she was enjoying the bright atmosphere, where people just walked downtown, together with their families and once in a while they’d spot a couple. She looked very happy and it made him happy.

“Do you like it?” Baekhyun asked, patting her head.

“I love it. This is great. I think I loved taking a walk with you and considering this is a date… I’m very happy.” She smiled, swinging their hand together.

“Should we enter one of them? They all looked interesting to me.” Baekhyun pointed at some shops which look rather unique and interested.

They spent their time, looking around the shops, entering one another. Jieun would point at a shop from time to time and they’d enter the shop. Baekhyun, too, was interested in the small gallery downtown and took Jieun with him. It was a fun day, filled with laughter and smile. Jieun was enjoying it and Baekhyun too. Without them realizing, not one of them are releasing their hands from each other grasp. It felt nice, feeling each other presence.

There were a lot of food stall down there. They bought a lot of food to fill their empty stomach. They share the food together, just like lovers who have dated for a long time. Their feed each other. Baekhyun would wipe the food off with his thumb, earning a soft giggle from her, followed by her cheeks that turned red. Jieun, too, would wipe the food off his lips and by then, he’s sure she could hear his loud thumping heartbeats. They’re so close right now and their affection for each other seems to be something that would never end. Even from their gaze, you could tell how much they’re in love with each other.

“I’m full.” Baekhyun groaned, rubbing his full stomach.

“Me too. The food here is great! They’re delicious!” Jieun punches the air, excited about the tasty food.

“Should we come here next time?”

“I think that would be great!” Jieun smiled, coming closer to him.

It wasn’t rare at all, how rain would pour during winter. However, Byun Baekhyun was hoping today won’t be the day. The snow had just fallen for its first time a few days ago and they both are enjoying it, he could only hopes it won’t rain today but snow. Yet it seems the shooting stars he wishes upon last night failed to fulfill his request. The rain suddenly pours, as they failed to take notice of the grayish sky.

Yet Jieun giggled, rather than pouting like how a city-girl would do, she enjoyed the rainy weather. It was pouring and she was enjoying it. Baekhyun could only smile; she’s indeed very down to earth. Baekhyun quickly covered both of them with his cardigan, as both of them run to the nearest shop. He never thought Jieun would be that playful and easy-going, stepping at the puddle of water and splashing it to Baekhyun.

“Come on! Let’s run quickly or else we’re gonna get wet!” Baekhyun exclaimed and put an arm around her shoulder to support her.

They stood next to each other, waiting for the rain to stop inside the old man shops. It has been a while since Baekhyun visited this place; he hasn’t been that much to photography ever since he met Jieun. The only thing he had cared about was her, everything about her, how to charm and impresses her. Yet it seems, she loved him for being him, nothing more and nothing else. Although he has yet to notice her feelings for him, or maybe he’s unsure of it.

The tingling sounds of the bell break the silence of the rain. The old man quickly greeted both of them. Jieun smiled, seeing how the place was still the same. It was warm, as expected, even during winter. It was comfortable and cozy, it made her feels home. The old man, too, was as friendly as ever. He had that smile when the two of them comes in, soaking wet. He quickly made hot chocolates for both of them and prepares the fireplace to warm the two.

But Lee Ji Eun knows, there is something going on between the old man and her. Of course, he liked her, just like the way she liked her. However, both of them shared the sole fact of a secret, that can’t be exposed at all. As the older one, he knows better than Jieun’s, maybe that’s why he looked sad to see the two of them together. He looked pleased yet something about his gaze felt very melancholic as he has stated his warning before. He fears one of them would get hurt and it is oblivious to him, there will only be one person who’ll get hurt.

“It’s raining… I can’t believe it rains when we’re enjoying our date!” Baekhyun pouted, earning a giggle from the girl.

“I think the rain is pretty. It fits your mood when you’re sad, it reflected life, and sometimes when you’re happy… you could await for the rainbow.” Jieun cupped her face and rested her elbow against the wooden table.

“I hate rain, but not when it’s a spring rain. It’s just… we’re having fun yet the rain just come pouring down and ruined everything.” Baekhyun continues to pout.

“I love spring rain. Don’t you think it’s beautiful? Somehow… after the rain, the flowers bloom even better. You know… I really would like to enjoy the spring rain with you.”

“I do too.”

***

After much hesitation, Jieun finally agreed to come with him. Byun Baekhyun was a good son, he would try hard to fulfill his mother wishes and today it would be bringing Jieun home. The sky turn yellowish once the rain stopped and he took her to his place. She disagree at first, thinking it’d be too fast and she hasn’t prepared herself. But Baekhyun was forcing her, leaving her with no choice but to agree. He keeps telling her it’d be fine, yet she knows it won’t. There are things that Baekhyun has yet to know about her. Something he shouldn’t have known.

She was biting her lower lips, as she stood tall and strong in front of his door. It was a huge mansion, with a beautiful design. It was an amazing building yet Jieun wasn’t surprised at all. Despite it size and luxurious looks, it has no love. Jieun could feel the coldness of winter there. She could understand his reason for calling this place a house rather than a home. It wasn’t filled with the warmth of love; everything seems very strict and timid here. Even the old man’s place was better. But she chooses to keep silent about it.

Baekhyun presses the door bell, as he wrapped her petite body with an arm. She was nervous and rather scared. She was very anxious, something she rarely feels. Sure, there are nights where her darker side rises, but she was never this much anxious. She was uneasy and worried, especially when the door swung open. A beautiful lady, looking young, maybe it her early 40s, plopped out. She had beautiful features, her nose, her red lips, and her long straight brown hair. She had a pair of beautiful brown orbs. Her looks was somehow similar to Baekhyun, they shares the same eyes.

“Mom,” he greeted her with a smile.

“Did you bring her over? Where is she?” she was uneasy and anxious.

“Jieun… oh…” he pointed to the spot next to him, “Jieun, this is Mom. Mom, this is Jieun.”

Jieun was nervous, seeing how uneasy the woman looked. She bowed, only to look at the woman stood frozen without a word. She looked at her in horror, somehow terrified and blank. She was messy, unlike Baekhyun’s stories about her. Baekhyun always describe his mom as a lovely lady, neat and caring, tidy and clean. Yet seeing her this way has made Jieun rather confused. The woman soon looks back to his son, looking at him in horror.

“Mom… is something wrong?”

“N… no. Why don’t the two of you go upstairs and I’ll brought the snacks to your room.”

Baekhyun lead her to his room, as she keeps sneaking glances to the woman. She was still standing in front of the door, letting the cold wind greeted her skin and freezes her. She had that horrified looked, before leaning against the door and hopelessly collapsing. Baekhyun was too excited about Jieun that he failed to notice her mother limb expression. Jieun, in the other hand, has come to realization that trouble will soon come and greeted her.

She bit her lower lips, anxious and uneasy, as she let Baekhyun to guide her. This man seems to be rather blind to her, although he could still sense her uneasiness, he decided to ignore it. It was a wrong decision to come over to his house, because soon her secret would all be exposed and trouble will soon charges her. Her body shivers at the thought of it, but decided to ignore it. For once more second, before things turn upside down, she wanted to enjoy her moments with him.

***

“Your Mom made great cookies. They’re tasty!” Jieun decided to break the thrilling silence.

She has been very uneasy, which made Byun Baekhyun felt uncomfortable. No one dares to spill any word, as Baekhyun leads her back to the park. He offers her a ride to her house, but again, she rejected him. She told him that her house wasn’t too far away from the park and that she’d like to go back home on her own. Baekhyun could only nod, knowing how uncomfortable she has become because of him.

She tried to break the silence, using casual chats and random nonsense talks to breaks it, but none works. Rather, Baekhyun changes the topic to a rather sensitive one. They ended up talking about her first love. She has mustered up her courage the other day, to talk about it. Her first love has brought pain upon her, the pain of love, it wasn’t easy for her to talk about it, yet she has sacrifice lots of things to convey her feelings to Byun Baekhyun. However, it seems it wasn’t enough. He was unsure about it, about her and her feelings for him.

Kim Myungsoo, was the name of her first love. Byun Baekhyun doesn’t like the fact that he has a so much better rival. Her statement before, about turning back time, it hurts him. Although she said he could hope, it doesn’t feel right. She might still have feelings for him, as she would rewind back time just to be with him once more. He told her he’d like to hope and she asked her to hope even more, to try hoping. It was a harsh decision, when he asked her to wait and left for a moment.

She was waiting patiently, waiting for his return. She was anxious, even more uneasy after meeting his mom, yet now he’s somewhere else. However, her anxiety and uneasiness turn to happiness when she felt an arm gently wrapping her waist, and his chin resting against his shoulder. His lip was so close to her ear, she could feel his breath tickling her ear. She smiled, she could feel his loud thumping heartbeat and she’s sure… he could feel hers.

“I wanted to hope so badly. Whoever that Kim Myungsoo guy is… I’m envious of him.” He whispers.

His embrace was warm and gentle, she loved being inside his embrace. It felt secured and warm. Her smiled turn even wider, when her eyes catch the red roses in front of her. He was holding those, as he kisses her hair. She could feel butterflies in her stomach, as he continued kissing her hair, inhaling her scent. She was embarrassed and her heart was thumping hard.

I love you,” he whispers huskily.

***

She was back to that despicable place, where those who abuse lives. It was a dark and despicable place, the place where human being wanted to avoid the most, yet those doesn’t applies to her. She could hear the helpless scream of those who wanted to break free. She could see people being abused. She could see cold corpses and those who helplessly bleeds, abandoned in the street. There were pieces of glasses everywhere, knife, guns, and weapons. As usual, the place reek the smell of alcohol and cigarettes.

It was night, a beautiful night with shooting stars and full moon. She should have stayed home and enjoys it, rather than going to such a place. Yet today, she’ll have to see him or else she might miss it for the world. She stood in front of the door, a rather quiet one. She presses the door bell and as it swung open, it smells awful. It reeks of alcohol and cigarettes, the stinky filled the room. She has to restrain herself from throwing up.

The man, he was ruined, unlike the other day where he’d dress himself properly. Tonight, he was dressed in simple torn jeans and white shirt with blood stains on it. He has visible dark circles underneath his eyes and his eyes were red from crying. He looked very skinny, losing lots of weight after her last visit. He smiled as soon as his eyes catch her figure, yet something about his smile is rather sad.

“Myungsoo…” she called out.

He wrapped an arm around her waist and kisses her forehead. He hugs her tightly to his cold embrace. It was a loving embrace yet his skin was cold and his face was pale. He reek the smell of alcohol, unlike the other day. He trailed her with kisses, kissing her forehead, inhaling her fresh scent. Tears slipped through his eyes, as he closes the door and dragged her inside.

“I miss you. Don’t leave me…” he whispers.

***

Byun Baekhyun could still remember the taste of it, how it felt to let the three words slip his tongue. I love you, he finally confessed. He conveyed all of his hidden feelings to her and it felt great. He can’t stop smiling. He never knows saying those three words would feel that good. He could still feel how it slips his mouth, how his body heats up, and how his heart jumps. He was satisfied.

He remembers her smile, a beautiful smile that melted him even more. It was very charming, very beautiful and captivating. He remembers seeing her smiling, saying yes, telling him that she, too, shared the same feelings. It sounded very beautiful, how the three words escape her pink lips. It sounded soothing and calming, yet it made his heart jumps even more. He was pleased, knowing both of them are sharing the same feelings.

“I love you.”

Yet something about her beautiful smile was saddening. It was beautiful and cheerful, gorgeous and captivating, yet Byun Baekhyun found it odd. There was something about that smile, something sad and melancholic. The look in her eyes, it was different. It was lovely and gentle, yet it wasn’t smiling. Her smile was beautiful, but this time it was only her lips that curl to a smile. It made Baekhyun wonders, but then knowing she loves him too has made his life complete.

He goes back home, after escorting Jieun back to the park. He was smiling crazily, as a man in love who managed to date the girl he adores. He’d like to spread the happy news soon, to the EXO and especially to his family. He arrived at his house, it looked cold, and somehow he wasn’t feeling good about going back home. It was his house, it was his right to freely swing the door open, yet what awaits him wasn’t good news.

Two ladies were waiting for him, one who was much older, and one who has much younger. Their looked represents each other, very similar as if they’re seeing each other reflection – how one’s would grow after growing old. It was unusual for them to wait for Baekhyun, especially with that look in their eyes. They had that horrified and paranoid looks, they were shivering, frozen, even when the cold winds blows. They darted their blank gaze on him, as if he’s a murderer. It terrifies him even more, after her mother and Jieun’s uneasiness, now it come, their horrified look.

“Byun Baekhyun, you need help!” his mom screams.


Author Note

I have a bad feeling about this chapter, but oh well... Help me~ I'm losing it! The tenth chapter! What do you think about it? Comments and subscribe please! Thank you...