Cliché || Part Four

Cliché

Byun Baekhyun was admiring the view in front of his eyes. The sky glows in radiant colors of pink, blended with orange and yellow, painting the sky with its faint blue colors as the sun continued to drown beneath the horizon. It looked beautiful, better than all the view he ever captured. They said the scenery in Europe or somewhere in New Zealand will looked splendid, yet today the scenery here has already looked fabulous. He wonders why, although it is supposed to be another casual evening.

The breezes have never felt so good. On autumn, breezes tend to get harsh and cold. In fact, it would stings his skin and he would found it annoying. Yet today, the breezes felt nice. It was gentle, gently brushing against his skin, blowing his dark brown hair, as it greets him from time to time. It feels rather mild and cool, simply comfortable. It was evening and the street was busy, yet somehow the annoying sound of the sound didn’t bother him like usual. He hates it, the sound of cars, especially when there is traffic, they just gone crazy. He will start having a headache by then, but not today.

A handsome smile, genuinely smiling as it kindly greets everyone, painted on his face. It never left or faded away. In fact, it won’t be disappearing, no matter how harsh the world might go on after today. His brown orbs, it would glances at the young lady beside him. The gentle breezes that greet her managed to blow her hair, letting it float in the air. She looked naturally pretty. Her dress was a match to the color of the sky, as she looked very down to the earth.

His heart keeps jumping around, with her by his side. They are walking, side by side – something he could never imagine before. She’s the girl of his dream, so being able to approach her feels to fabulous to be true. They haven’t talked that much; she’s quite shy and rather quiet. In fact, Baekhyun has to be the one to start a conversation or else she would remain quiet. Although it might sound a bit disappointing, Baekhyun founds it charming. Everything about her amazes him.

“Mmm… I think it would be better for you to walk here. The cars are dangerous.”

He put his hand on her waist, as he gently pushes her to the side. He was being gentle, protecting her from the dangerously speeding cars. He let her walk by his left side, safe from any cars and crashing that might possibly happen. She was startled at first, by his sudden touch, but soon manages to fix the misunderstanding. She flushes in deep pink – which Baekhyun found cute – as she thanks him with another bow.

“Thank you.” Her faint smile floats in the air.

“Umm… we should cross now. The café is right there, the other side of the street.” Baekhyun suddenly stops, pointing at a café.

Jieun nodded, as her eyes followed him. The café looked rather small, but cozy and nice. Jieun smiled, like a little girl excited for Festivals. She clapped her hand excitedly, as she jumps childishly. She inhales the breezes, filling her lungs with the refreshing oxygen, shutting her eyes closed before smiling widely. Baekhyun was happy, seeing her being very excited.

“Come one, we’ll have to cross now.”

Baekhyun quickly hold her hands, much to Jieun surprise, as they cross the road together. Her short legs have prevented her to walk as fast as Baekhyun did. Her petite body could put her in danger, being squeezed by others stranger. After all, holding her hand was a great idea, to put her in another safe zone. Although in the end, his goal was to approach her. Without him realizing it, he’s trying hard to make her fall head over heels over him, as how she managed to make him fall for her.

It was another sound that Baekhyun loved – the tingling sound of the bell – it appears as they entered the café. He’s another customer there; the waitress greeted him in a friendly way. They’re calling his name casually, as if they have known each other for quite a long time. Although Baekhyun was known as a gentleman, who never stops smiling, it is rare to find him genuinely smiling. It made most of the waitress wonder what had happen to him.

“What would you like to eat?” he sounded like the waiter there, “the pasta here is quite good.”

Jieun eyes were scrolling down the menu book. Everything seems too delicious for her; she wanted to taste it all. The picture seems tasty, it make her stomach growl. Her eyes were glistening, as it started to lighten after seeing the foods. She can’t decide anything, until Baekhyun went for suggestion. It would be a lie to say her heart hasn’t started to jumps after what he had done for her. It has started, and in fact, it keeps getting faster.

“How about fettuccine? It’s one of the favorite here. Or maybe some lasagna?” Baekhyun pointed at the pictures.

“I’ll go with the… fettu… fettu…”

“Fettuccine.” Baekhyun chuckled, seeing her failed attempt to spell the word.

Jieun nodded, smiling yet blushing in pink. Baekhyun clapped, calling a waitress that has been waiting for an order. She swiftly runs to the table, taking a pen and a piece of paper, greeting the two with a huge smile. Jieun thoughts were wondering around somewhere else, while Baekhyun was busy mentioning their orders. It was a great atmosphere, for their… first date.

“One spaghetti, please, and another fettuccine for the beautiful young lady here.” Baekhyun smiled, eyeing Jieun from head to toe. “Mmm… and for the drink, give us the best you can make.”

The waitress gave Baekhyun an odd glance before taking their orders and fakes a smile to prevent suspicion. It would be something unpleasant for the customer, being given an odd look by the waitress. It wasn’t something thoughtful and polite after all, so as a worker, she would have to know her position. Bowing as another greetings and also apology, she left after faking smile as she drowns herself in her own thoughts. Weird.

Given an odd look, rather than feeling offended or unpleasant, Byun Baekhyun managed to think of it in a positive way. Maybe thinks turn positive once you fell in love, even the world may turn upside down in the matter of second. His gloomy days suddenly brighten up, as his heart skips a beat from time to time, as he could feel her lovely presence by his side. That odd look, isn’t it because he has brought a girl?

As a customer here, the waitress has quite a knowledge of Byun Baekhyun true colors. He has never brought a girl, and as a man, he seems to be uninterested in girls and woman. He spent most of his time alone, yet his attractive features rarely let him have what he wanted. He always sat on the empty table, design for two, leaving a seat empty. It wasn’t only once or twice, that ladies – beautiful one – approach him and ask him out. Most of time, he would remain cold and ignorant, leaving them all broken hearted. He would shake his head, and the ladies will have to leave.

He might be gentle, but he wasn’t the type to talk. He was rather shy and quiet, keeping everything inside. He never flirts with woman, as he’s uninterested with them. He never showered them with compliments. His words have always been something polite, something dedicated to stay within the friend-zone he made. His words has been keeping woman inside his friend-zone, unable to neither step aside nor move closer.

It must have been odd, how he suddenly brought a woman with him. A beautiful one to him, but maybe not to many people. Jieun features are simple; her beauty was something splendid yet simple. Peoples prefer those who are amazingly beautiful and gorgeous nowadays, rather than the simple beauty Byun Baekhyun always prefer. Another thing that must have been odd, he just complimented her, he just showered her with compliments as he started to flirt around with her. The lady might have yet to notice, but the waitress was oblivious to the fact. Calling a woman beautiful isn’t something Baekhyun would do easily.

***

“Jieun-ssi, aren’t you suppose to be attending college?” Baekhyun asked his third attempt to start a long conversation.

The two was quiet, as it was their personality to stay silent. Jieun was too shy to talk and Baekhyun wasn’t the type either. He has brought up lots of courage to start a conversation, yet it ended within seconds, even before it could reach a minute. He would ask question and Jieun would only say yes or no, and sometimes she would shake her head or either nodding it. So, this time, he hopes he could have a nice and long conversation with her.

“Mmm… I think so,” Jieun rubbed her chin, smiling sweetly to Baekhyun.

“Then…”

“I’m not interested in it. You know, I really wanted to go to college, but I’m… I don’t think it’s the time yet.” She explained.

“College can be fun, too, you know.” Especially when you met someone you like.

“I know. I keep wondering how college feels like. Growing up, meeting books, and strangers, making new friends. It sounds refreshing!” Jieun excitedly throw her arms in the air, as she stares blankly, outside the window.

“Why don’t you try? Someone like you won’t have troubled adjusting to it.”

“I think I would, next time. If I have a chance!” Jieun cheerfully exclaimed, “how about you Baekhyun-ssi? What major are you taking?”

Her brown orbs once again made its way, staring to his same brown orbs. Her was warmth, he wonder how warmth she truly is. Jieun couldn’t help but feel attracted to his pair of orbs. It was cute, gentle, and warm. It was a father like, someone who would care so much and look after her. Something her ideal man would have, and now she is, facing the man who almost fulfilled all of her ideal type criteria.

He could swear his heart would stop beating if she keeps on staring at him. Her gaze was simply too sweet, too warm and it melted his heart all over again. It was lovable, it is lovely – her gaze is. It gave him a reassurance that everything would be all right, nothing would go wrong, and even something did turn upside down, it will be all right. The reassurance she gave him was something he has always been lingering for.

Jieun could swear, her eyes may never look at something even more beautiful than it is right now. His eyes were simply – although it is not the right word – beautiful. It was pulling her, deeper and deeper, attracting her even more. It was warm and gentle; it made her feel very secure. It blows away all of her insecurity, her cold body and fingertips. It was what keeping her warm and secure. She feels safe. And how she wishes, she would always be able to look at those eyes.

It would be wrong to say he’s perfectly her type. His features weren’t exactly something her ideal man would have. His facial features, his body, or something like collar bones. He barely have those, his physical appearance barely keeps up with her standards. Yet his personality traits are things that keep her feels attracted. Especially those eyes, it could slowly make her fell for him.

“Me… M- Me? Oh… I… Business.” Baekhyun looked away, afraid that she would notice his pink cheek.

“Business? Really?” Jieun looked at him, as if it was hard to believe. She tilted her head, as she stares at him in confusion.

“Yeah, is something wrong?”

“No, it’s just… I thought you would love something like music and arts… I thought you would never take something like business. But it’s just my guess.” Jieun stated bluntly.

She’s blunt, a bit naïve and too innocent. Some people might find it a bit annoying, yet Byun Baekhyun has added those traits to her charm list. It was surprising to him, how she could found out about his true colors in one look. She guesses it perfectly, how he never wishes to take business as his major. It’s just, his father force him to do so. He wish he had taken something like music and arts as his major and maybe college would be something fun to do.

“Great guess, Jieun-ssi,” Baekhyun grin, “I don’t like business, I was thinking about taking music and arts as my major, but it seems my father disagree. He wanted me to take over the company after his retirement.” Baekhyun confessed, as if she’s another old friend who he trusted the most.

“That must be upsetting, but it seems most of your friends are taking music as their major. You could just learn from them and the library downtown is great! There’s lots of music books there, I usually learn a bit from them.” Jieun remarks.

Baekhyun was once again taken aback by her blunt statement. He wonders how she could know about his friends, the EXO boys. He’s sure neither one of them has ever met each other. EXO are quite popular but he doubt people outside the college would know about them. Jieun didn’t even belong to a university, he doubt she could know much about them, especially about their major.

“EXO are quite popular, and once I’ve seen their major, although I could barely remember them.” She gave another reassuring smile after noticing the slight confusion.

“Oh, yeah.” Baekhyun fake another smile.

“You must be quite popular with girls.” Jieun muttered.

“Well, you could say so. But you know, I’m not that much interested. Being surrounding by girls wasn’t that nice either. And you… boys must be attracted to you.” Baekhyun replied, shyly, as he hopes she would shake her head.

She suddenly stays silent, after his statement. She just remains silent, as her gaze turn darker and deeper. Her cheerful personality suddenly fades away, and he could slowly see how her face darkens. She was suddenly thinking, her never-ending rope of thoughts, as she dig dipper – as if his words have opened up her hidden wound. There were a slight pain, reflected from her orbs, and her body flinches as she drowns herself deeper.

Baekhyun almost panic, after seeing another side of the lady. He fears his words might have hurt her and he might have to lose her. His words, is something wrong with it? He was just asking if lots of boys is interested in her, yet suddenly it turns the atmosphere upside down. He was a bit disappointed and rather upset. Her smile was slowly fading away, and he was unable to grasp it. He wanted to see it again; he wanted to reignite that smile, igniting the light it has.

***

It was thanks to the food, that the cold atmosphere managed to melt and die down. She smiled again, much to his relieve. He could finally see her lovely smile again, as he secretly captured another picture of her. Her smile, that lovely and lovable smile, as she happily eats the food. Her eyes lighten as the food is all served nicely on the table and the smell was nice, the delicious taste dance in . She looked happy, enjoying the food with all her soul. It was silly yet fun, watching her enjoying the meal.

Baekhyun was used to the food here. It is great, but it seems Jieun made it looked even tastier. He suddenly enjoyed the food, even more than he usually did. Has she ever eaten something like pasta before? It doesn’t seem to be her first time, tasting fettuccini, yet she looked a bit too happy. She looks like a kid, given sweets and candies on Halloween. She looks like a kid, who would suddenly laughs after crying hard, just by given the meal.

She doesn’t seems to be hungry either, although she seems skinny, she looked healthy. She eats happily but with manners, his mothers would definitely love her. Ah, if he ever succeeds to make her his, he would definitely introduce her to his mom. He wonders what compliments would she receive from the woman. Well, his mom is quite picky when it comes to girls.

***

“Thanks for today, Baekhyun-ssi.” Jieun bowed, as the two went for another walk.

“I think I should be the one to thank you. It was a nice da- hangs out. Meeting a nice girl like you is very pleasant.” Baekhyun said, with his husky tone, an attempt to attract her even more.

“It’s been a while since I hang out and walk around. Things have changed, and it’s so much fun!” She exclaimed, punching her small fist in the air.

“You’re very cheerful, Jieun-ssi. Not to mention, you’re beautiful.” Baekhyun complimented.

“You shouldn’t compliment a girl that much; she’ll get overwhelmed you know.” Jieun giggled.

“Where’s your house? Let me take you home.” Baekhyun offered.

“It’s only a few blocks away, I’ll be fine.” Jieun decided to reject the polite offer.

“You’re a girl and soon it will be night. I don’t think it’s a good idea.”

“No, no. You should go.”

“You sure?”

Jieun smiled, giving another reassurance to Baekhyun. He was hesitating, whether to go or to stay. He wanted to know her even more; he wanted to take her home. Maybe that was too much, but still it won’t be saving for girls to hang out when the sun almost set down. He suddenly wanted to be her knight, how naïve, but truly, this time around, Byun Baekhyun believes fairy tales existed to be fulfilled.

“Okay then, I will get going. It’s nice knowing you. See you around! Take care!” He left.

Jieun was standing from a far, watching his figure slowly shrinking and fading away from her sight. It made her smile, watching his back. Somehow, it brought back memories. His presence suddenly made her lingers for more, as she has the desire for him to stay by her side even more. Today was so much fun, that she wonder when could she feel that much fun, ever again.

“Mmm… Jieun-ssi!” Baekhyun suddenly turns around, surprising the quietly- thinking Jieun.

He was gathering much courage, as she raises an eyebrow, wondering what it would be. He was hesitating and ended up stuttering. He was too nervous. He was wondering if his feelings were a bit too clear, and if she ever notices how red he is. His fingers were fidgeting against each other, suppressing the nervousness he’s feeling.

“Would you mind waiting for me? Tomorrow after college ended!” Baekhyun yelled, as he has stood quite far away from the young lady.

He could feel how his nervousness slowly eating him up. The silence was thrilling and his heart was jumping around, waiting for her answer. He could not describe how thrilling it was, he was almost terrified if she ever shook her head and reject his request. Her face was simply blank, maybe too shock to receive his sudden request. He looked childish, suddenly asking for a young lady, who he had just known, to wait for him. What is he thinking? But this heart just won’t stop urging him.

“Sure, Baekhyun-ssi.”

She gave it, another reassuring smile that made him go crazy. How could she said yes so easily? She shouldn’t have said something like that, at least not to other man. Is he crazy? He badly wanted her to say yes, yet now he’s scolding her under his consciousness. He’s happy and contented, at least for now and for tomorrow, because he’s going to see her again. His lip soon break into a smile, as he turn his back and hurried home, unable to wait longer for tomorrow.

“See you, Jieun-ssi! See you tomorrow!” He jumps around like a kid, getting robot toys for Christmas.

“Baekhyun-ssi!” She suddenly called.

It sounded like music, and again his heart skips a beat after hearing her voice calling out his name. He never expected her to call out his name that way. It wasn’t her first time calling him, but this time it felt special, and as always it sounded so perfect. He grins, just like idiots, as he turns to face the girl. He was flushing red, as he found the young lady cheek in deep red. She was blushing crazily and he liked it.

“Mmm… Good luck with your studies!” she cheered.

He went home, with hearts feeling contented, with lip that can’t stop smiling. Everything was beautiful today. Our meeting was a cliché one, a story to remember.


Author Note

Hello, there. It's been awhile since I updated. I think my writing capabilites started to decrease. I'll have to work on it. Somehow, I don't think this chapter is that great. Well, I always feel that way lately, unsure whether it is true or not. And also, I think I'm starting losing my feels for this story. How do I regain it back? Anyone knows some BaekIU moments, something I can watch or read? Thank you! As an author I whine too much, sorry! Anyway, comments, subscribe and read! Enjoy!