Tip 5

Write with your /21th Century Breakdown

not sure if these really do exist, im just putting it into my own words. if there's an official name please let me know. thank you


Tone of writing can effect the whole piece as well.

Tone is different from style. Style is something that when you read it, you go like "Ahh, it's written by whowhowho." wheras tone is sort of, think of it as different accents. Don't get it?

Let's say you speak to a child. Obviously, you would use simple words. Then, you speak to a teacher. You tend to cut down your inner frustrations into a minimal number that maximizes the self explaination. When you speak to someone who doesn't know english, you tend to use extremely simple words. Or when you speak to a professional, like singer, designer, police, scientist, you sound more professional with all those official words.

So let me give you an example. You're a badass gangster that takes no . Great. You don't go up to someone and say "Oppa, I lost my bunny." right? You go like "Dude, seen my plushie?" or something more badass. Gangsters can say please and thank you too. "Dude pass the dang cola please. Thanks." So, a quiet reserved person doesn't randomly go "" or "DAMN" or even "FREAKING". They stay quiet and only when the most important/life threathening moments, they open their gold mouths and say "Excuse me sir, can I get past here please?Thank you." in a small voice and just dash off.

I sound like a child in my writing. That's because I'm an extremely childish immature person. I sort of have the right to sound like a kid. Teehee =DD

To enchance writing, you can also try out different formats of writing.

Usually, people start off with the starting of their lives, where by the female oc who is perfect shy quiet and outgoing meets this derp/jerk/kingka who ruins her life and inserts all the process of life ruining. Okay so now let's pause it for a minute. Have you ever thought of rewinding it from the back? Yes, give out the ending as the start, and go backwards. It's accomplishable, and I'm working on it at the moment.

My fic Seven is a fantasy fic in which I'm trying out a different format. I'm shuffling all the chapters so they don't go in the correct order. I put the correct order as their chapter names, so readers can read according to the correct order if they want to. I'm not sure why I did it like that in the first place, but it's a new thing to be reading and filling the gaps and holes with the information given.

Writing in different POVS is another format. Constant POV changes, maybe POV changes in a few chapters, no POV changes at all etc. I personally do not like a lot of POV changes in a single chapter. I get it, I can think from the other person's POV, don't have to tell me what he's thinking.

What are the other formats of writing that you've seen?