Tip 21

Write with your /21th Century Breakdown

After so many how to improve our writings, lets point out the obvious thing that people will first see when their eyes scan past the page. Your title, yes honey your title. Some titles are beyond my level of understanding, i dont know how is it related to the storyline. But then if im subscribed to you i probably dont care about your title i just like the story. Sweeties this doesnt mean the title aint important, its what captures people's attention!

So this is my way of looking. A chunk of what ive seen (and honestly that pile is still growing by the day) are romcom stories. I like romcom too. So how do you know whether or not its a romcom? If the title includes married to xxx, jerk, boyfriend, my boyfriend is xxx, girlfriend to the jerk xxx, in love with a gangster/vampire/werewolf/dangerous people/likeseriouslywhatiswrongwithyou, that is surely romcom. Dont believe the tags, people like to either tag everything or not tag at all.

Angst story titles are usually "______(sad negative emotion) _____(nature)" for example, the silence of the waves, tears of morning, breakup of the butterfly, crying hummingbird (i made these up) i dont know why but thats how it usually is. Maybe it sounds sad and angsty.

Next major chunk of story titles are made of *drumroll* song titles. First Snow, Miracles In December, You dont know love, lucifer, goodbye summer, On rainy days, voicemail, sound of rain, love blossom and so on. Ive never read any of these so i dont know if they follow the song or...usually those that follow the song tag their stories as "songfic" and im fine with songfics.

Another part of the community name their titles with a single word. Sometimes it matches, sometimes it doesnt, sometimes i dont even know what that word means. if you manage to link up all your chapters to that one single word, congratulations. Avoid picking overly bombastic words like Photosynthesis or Hypertonic or Hydrogen Bromine (im just ting on you guys with my limited science knowledge) because really, most of us (including the auther probably) doesnt even know what it means. I'd  pick Fabulous as my title if i could.

i really adore those people who use daily phrases as their titles because i feel it so much. as in its a daily thing, everyone sees it but doesnt seem to pay attention to it and wham fanfiction with that title. and if its well written and you enjoyed it you'll never see that phrase the same away again. im exageratting.

yeah. that's my view on titles.