Beautiful Insecurities

Uninterested

When the school day is finally over Yonghwa gathers his stuff and waits for Min-Ji. He couldn't concentrate at all during class, all he could think of was Min-Ji. The thought of loving someone had never been a big deal for him, he had thought he loved other girls, but this was different. In the past he liked them for their looks, or thought they were cute. But now he does't understand why he has these feelings. Even if he doesn't want them, they won't go away. *Why do I have these feelings for her? Their are plenty of other girls other than the cold, tomboyish unpopular girl.* he thinks to himself, until Min-Ji comes walking up to him.

"You ready to go?" she asks Yonghwa like she was the one waiting for him.

"Yeah." he says, following her out of the room. Even though he doesn't know why he has feeling for her it doesn't mean he is completely against it. She seems mysterious, and he wants to know more about her. There has to be a deeper reason to her not liking te concept of dating, even if she acts like she is just more mature than everyone else about it. But even so, the best of people date and fall in love, her parents must have been one of them or else she wouldn't be here. So what makes her tick?

"Looks like your thinking hard, is this your first time?" Min-Ji snickers, and only then does Yonghwa realise they have left the school grounds and are headed in the direction of her house.

He gives a sarcastic laugh. "I may be popular, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid. I get good grades."

"Oh really? I guess we will see after the next exams, then."

Yonghwa looks over to the girl beside him and realizes how pretty she is. The slight twist of her thin lips in a smirk, the glint of mischief in her chocolatey eyes and her dark hair is short but really matches her personality. He wants to touch her pale cheek, feel the smooth skin, but he knows better than to suddenly do that to her. She would endlessly, and he doesn't want Min-Ji to know about his quickly risen feelings for her.

Min-Ji looks up to see him staring, but his eyes don't waver and he looks into hers. "Who knew you looked remotely pretty?" Yonghaw says like he is teasing her, but he knows he can't lie to himself.

She just scoffs, rolling her eyes. "Better looking than you."

"Oh yeah? Then how come you called me attractive the other day? You know, after school."

"Hm? Oh, you mean that lie I told you? You believed me? How gullible." Min-Ji isn't giving up her act of dominance, she won't let Yonghwa say the last word. But Yonghwa know that she just doesn't want to lose a fight, and the other afternoon hadn't been lies. He could tell she wasn't lieing the other day, but he goes silent anyways, knowing she is too stubborn to let him win.

"What, are you going to follow me all the way home?" Min-Ji looks at him with an expectant face, thinking he will turn around and leave her alone.

"Walking you home means all the way, doesn't it? So, yeah." he replies to her, not planning on leaving just yet.

"You are stubborn, aren't you?" she says, looking away and going silent for a bit. *Look who's talking* Yonghwa thinks in the short pause before she continues. "There's no need to walk me home, I can do fine on my own. I do it all the time."

This catches Yonghwa's attention. "But don't you walk home with your sister?" They seem attached at the hip, he didn't think she would be walking home alone.

"We may be close, but that doesn't meen we are always together. Mi-Sun has other friends that she goes to hang out with, and so does my brother." she explains to the curious boy, and Yonghwa sees a hint of loneliness in her eyes replacing the mischief.

"And what about you? Your friends?" he pushes further.

"If you hadn't noticed, I'm kind of loner. I don't have friends, though it's not like I care. My family is enough for me." she showes defiance, not wanting to seem weak in front of him.

"You have to have some friends."

With this comment she looks at him annoyed. "You're so pushy. The only people I would consider my friends other than my sister or brother would be the ice cream parlor boys, but I don't actually hang out with them."

Yonghwa can't help but notice that they were 'boys', but he focusses on what's more important. He wants Min-Ji to be happy, and to do that he is going to make her life less lonely. Even if it's by doing small things like walking her home, or just talking to her. Slowly he will make her open up to him, find comfort in him, and hopefully, eventually, love. But Yonghwa just wants her to know that she can find a friend in him at least, even if it's impossible for it to blossom further.

"Since we are going to be spending a lot of time together, couldn't we be friends?"

Min-Ji looks at him quizzicly, like he is trying to trick her, and must decide he just joking, because she laughs and looks at him with a look of unbelief. "What, so you are going to use me to get those girls off of you and then pretend to be all nice and then what? Laugh at me behind my back, tell your friends I'm a fool and believes in anything you say? Yeah right."

Yonghwa can feel her words strike his heart. They hurt. He just wanted her to be nice and be a friend for her, but she won't let him. And though his hurt can show on his face, Min-Ji doesn't bother to notice. She is too used to being alone that sweet words feel like a trap. The only ones she trusts are her siblings and mother, the rest are just threats to her. But on the other hand he knows there is an insecurity there, that this can't be coming from nowhere. And even though he knows this he can't help but tp feel angry at her sharp words.

"Why is it that you can't talk to people? Why are you so afraid of relationships with other people? The only reason you are alone is because you can't see any good in other people, you always look at them like they are your enemies. I have no intention of hurting you. That makes no sense anyways, your crazy idea that I would befreind you to make fun of you. Has that happened? Is that why you are always alone and never talk to other people?"

Anger and hurt shows on Min-Ji's face, and Yonghwa instantly wishes he could take it back, but there is no way of doing that now. "What would you know? We talked for the first time two days ago, and then you ask me to be your girlfriend so you can use me. you don't know anything about me so get out of my business. Maybe the reason I don't have any friends is because everyone is like you. They don't care about me, they just ask all these questions and pretend to be nice but on the inside nobody cares! You don't care, either. I am alone because I don't want to hang out with people like that." She storms off, leaving Yonghwa behind to regret his words.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wooaahhh~ what is she hiding?? @.@ So I randomly had a thought: What if i sat my cat on the keyboard and he wrote a better story than me?? I could see that happening, he is pretty smart. But if he did I think I waould hand this story over to him, lol