Hangeng

By Tomorrow

{When it’s tomorrow…}

Hangeng walked the streets of Seoul. He had a date with his girlfriend {Name} later that night. She was probably already waiting for him in the restaurant. He recalled how they met.

 

She had been taking pictures in the park and he was on a break from band activities. He had bumped into her accidentally and when he went to help up, their eyes met. His brown ones met her {eye color} eyes. It was almost like love at first sight.

“I’m Hangeng.” He said, handing her camera to her.

“{Name}…um, thank you.” She said, taking the camera.

He looked down, embarrassed a bit.

He had asked {Name} out for coffee after that and soon they started dating.

 

Today was their third year anniversary. He stopped at a light and pulled a small box. He opened it and smiled. A simple diamond engagement ring sat there. He was going to ask {Name} to marry him. He knew she was the one he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her.

 

As he began to cross the street to get to the restaurant on the other side where his girlfriend was waiting outside, there was a car coming that could not stop in time. Hangeng raised an arm to wave to his girlfriend, but she screamed. As he looked to the side, the car smashed into him. {Name} could not stand where she was and she ran over.

 

Hangeng spent three weeks in the ICU. He was in a coma and the doctors had no idea when he would wake up.

{Name} spent all her free time sitting by his bed, hoping that her boyfriend would wake up soon.

 

He woke up a month after the accident and his head pounded like a thousand jackhammers.

Hangeng looked to the side and saw a {hair-color} haired girl sitting beside his bed, asleep. Before he could ask who she was, a doctor walked in and noticing he was awake, he pulled the clipboard out and smiled. “Nice to see that you are awake. How are you feeling, Hangeng?” he asked.

 

Hangeng thought. “Okay….who’s she?” he asked, pointing at the girl. {Name} opened her eyes and hugged him, happy that he was awake.

“Excuse me…who are you?” he asked.

{Name} looked shocked. “I’m your girlfriend of three years, {Name}…” she said.

 

Hangeng stared blankly at her.

The doctor ran a few tests and he looked at {Name}. “The accident hit him pretty hard. You see, he remembers everything but you. It’s the temporal lobe…”he said.

{Name} teared up a bit. “So, he’ll never remember me?” she asked.

The doctor shook his head and {Name} took one last look at her boyfriend and ran out, crying. She had to let him go and let him live his life.

 

A few months later, the rest of Hangeng’s memory came back, and he tried to find the girl he loved many times.

He never found her though.

It seemed that he would never find her again.

 

He went to the park and sat on a bench. A familiar giggle entered his ears. He looked over and met the {eye color} eyes of his ex-girlfriend. “{Name}…” he said, walking over.

She looked over and her eyes widened. “Hangeng.” She said, shocked.

“{Name}…I was going to ask you this ages ago when I had my accident...but…” he began, kneeling down on one knee.

{Name} was shocked. She had never forgotten her love for him and as he knelt down one knee, her breath was caught .

 

“{Name}. I already realized a long time ago that you were my one true love and that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you. When my memory returned, I could only think of you and hope that I could find you and I did. In the same spot where we first met.” He pulled out the box from his pocket and flipped it open. “{Name}, will you marry me?” he asked, his tone of voice hopeful.

 

{Name} snapped a picture of him and she smiled, tears in her eyes. “YES! Hangeng, I will!” she exclaimed, throwing her arms around his shoulders.

 

He slid the ring on her finger and hugged her, kissing her cheek.

 

“Saranghae, {Name}.” he whispered in her hair.

 

He would never let her go.

 

 

{….We can only let love pass by…}