Kangin

By Tomorrow

{Sitting in the shop at the end of the road…}

 

Kangin sat in a coffee shop, constantly looking outside. He had told {Name} to be there at exactly 5:30. It was not 6 and he was getting impatient. He drummed his fingers on the table and looked into the pocket of his jacket. He pulled out the big velvet box and opened it.

 

In the box, there was an angel necklace and a delicate looking engagement ring. He pulled the ring from its spot and put it on his pinky finger. He had heard that if a man’s pinky finger and a woman’s ring finger were the same size then they were destined to be together.

 

The ring fit perfectly and he pulled it off, a bit hesitant for her response towards his question. He put it back into the box and slid the box back into his jacket. He took a sip of his coffee and saw {Name} across the street. He raised a hand to wave and she saw him. She waved back and he grinned. She was late, but that was okay. At least, she was there now.

 

He watched as {Name} crossed the street carefully and made it to the coffee shop. He watched her come in and thought about how he could do it that was at least romantic.

 

{Name} sat down across from him. “Look, Young-woon, I have something to tell you.” She said.

At the same time, he said, “Me too.”

 

“You first.” He said.

 

“Well, you remember when I told you that I applied to the Julliard School of Performing Arts in the United States a few months ago? I got in!” she exclaimed, really excited. He grinned. “That’s great…” he said, his voice betraying his sadness.

 

She noticed that and took his hand. “Why are you sad?” she asked.

“{Name}….I was going to give you this.” He said, pulling out the box.

 

{Name} opened it and gasped. “Young-Woon… Really?” she asked.

He nodded.

 

“Will you marry me?” he asked.

 

{Name} thought of her answer and she stood up, leaving the box there.

“I can’t.”

 

Kangin watched her leave, a tear sliding down his cheek.

 

{….I ordered a cup of missing you…}