Donghae

By Tomorrow

{When it’s tomorrow……}

 

He had lost the one woman he ever loved to a stupid mistake when they were in high school. Now, he sat in his room and stared at the piece of paper that he had received. He had no idea how to react to the predicament he found himself in.

 

A part of him wanted to go to see the kind of man that she had chosen. But another, more jealous part of him didn’t want to go, because he was afraid that he would mess up everything again and she would hate him. He fell back on bed in exhaustion. Thinking too much about this made his brain hurt. He looked at the piece of paper again.

 

She wanted him to come. She had specifically written that on the invitation.

 

He sighed. The door to his room creaked open and Eunhyuk walked in. “Hey, what’s wrong, hyung?” he asked. Donghae looked up from the paper to Eunhyuk.

“Nothing. I got a wedding invitation…” he said.

“Awesome! Weddings are fun!” Eunhyuk stated, but he noted Donghae’s sad look. “Who’s getting married?” he asked.

“My former high school sweetheart is. I still love her but….I have no idea whether I should go.”

“Go!” was Eunhyuk’s only response.

 

So, a week later, Donghae found himself at the church where {Name} was getting married. He caught his breath and tried to seem like he was doing perfectly fine. As soon as he walked in though, he knew he wasn’t. He went to look for her, to attempt to talk her out of this…to get her to love him again.

 

He found the room where she was getting ready and he knocked. “{Name}? Can we talk?” The door opened and there stood {Name}.

 

He smiled. “You look beautiful.” He said.

{Name} blushed a bit and laughed. “And I was thinking that you weren’t going to come.” She said, motioning for him to sit on the chair. Donghae walked in and sat down, feeling nervous.

 

“So, who’s the lucky guy, {Name}?” he asked, adjusting his suit. He was a bit nervous, so he fidgeted with his suit. {Name} noticed and smiled. “It’s Kim Mi Young. Remember him?”

 

Donghae thought for a while. The name sounded familiar. Recognition flooded his face after a few moments of awkward silence. “That guy who was in my dance class? And History class? And he was on the Student Council?” he asked. {Name} nodded.

 

Donghae was shocked, but he sighed and let the façade of happiness go. “I’m happy for you…but {Name}, do you ever miss “us”?” he asked, looking up at her. Their eyes met and there was nothing, not like in high school. They had the sparks in high school. “No. I don’t, Donghae. We were never the perfect couple. You were the school’s flower boy and I was the studious girl who spent all her time with the Student Council.” She said, turning away from him.

 

Donghae gulped. He knew that when she did that, there was no arguing with her on anything. She didn’t love him anymore and that hurt.

 

He walked to the door. Before he left her however, he asked, “Are you happy, {Name}?”

Her figure shifted around and {Name} nodded. “I am. People change and I’ve changed for the better. I don’t know about you…but you still seem to be the exact same person you were in high school.” She said.

 

He opened the door at her response. “Then, let’s never meet again.” He said, stepping out of the room. He would not stay for the wedding. He came. He saw her and he now knew that his relationship with {Name} was in the past. She was with someone else now.

 

As he stood on the steps of the church, he heard the wedding begin. He sighed and threw something on the ground, letting go of everything that had to do with {Name}.

 

The thing he threw away?

It was an engagement ring. He was going to ask her to marry him the day he lost her forever, but he knew now that….his tomorrow with her will never come.

 

“Saranghae, {Name} and goodbye.” He whispered, into the wind, walking away from the church and {Name} forever.

 

{….. We agree not to meet again}