Chapter 2

His Dark Past

______ noticed that the boy L Joe bumped into was still on the ground with his books scattered everywhere. She went to help him. She looked around at all the people walking through the halls. No one even stopped to help or ask if he was okay. They just looked at him, and stepped around him.

“Me? he’s the one that slammed into me…and I should watch where I’m going?! I should go…rip…Nope…I’m calm…” he whispered to himself and took a deep breath.

“Wow…what nice people…and that L Joe…he’s a jerk…are you okay?”

“um…yeah.” He said and looked at her. ‘DAMN! She’s so Beautiful…where did she even come from?’

“you must be new here…” she said.

“yeah…it’s my first day.” He said. She put out her hand to him and he look at it for a while before taking her hand. She pulled him to his feet.

“Where’s your locker?” she asked.

“oh um…it’s…number..714…”

“oh that’s right next to mine! I’m 713.” She said.He realized he was still holding her hand and quickly pulled his hand back. His face started to warm up and turn pink.

“s-sorry…” he said. “Um…I’m Daniel Chae…oh right…I’m in Korea now…not California…I need to speak Korean. Did you even understand me?”

“Yeah I do.” She giggled. ‘He’s kind of adorable.’ “Nice to meet you Daniel I’m Lee ______.”

“wow your english is so good!” he said.

“actually I was born in Hawaii…so english is my first language.”

“my korean isn’t too great.”

“that’s okay…it’s takes a while to master the pronunciations and stuff…you’ll get it in time. I know. It took a while for me but I learned pretty quickly.”

“how long have you lived here? and how long did it take you to successful speak Korean?”

“8 years…since I was 9 actually.” She said. He pushed up his thick rimmed glasses and straightened his bow tie.

“8 years?” He said. His jaw dropped and eyes widened.

“oh! No! No!!” she laughed. “I mean I’ve lived here for 8 years…it only took me a little over a year…with a lot of practice. I could help you if you want..”

“thank you.” He said and smiled.

“no problem.” She replied. ‘He has a nice smile…his eyes just dissappear. Haha.’

The school bell rang alerting them that they had 5 minutes to get to class.

“do you need help finding any class?” she asked.

“all of them?” he said making her giggle.

“can I see your class schedule? Oh…we have classes together…that’s great. You can walk with me.” She said.

“Hurry up! We’re going to be late!!~~~” a boy sang running passed her.

“Ricky! Slow down.” She giggled. “you have four minutes!”

“but Noona, I have dance class and I ate 2 bowls of froot loops! With 2 banana milks~ Annyeong!~~~” he waved and skipped off happily to his class.

“Noona? where’d Ricky hyung go?! He left me!” a taller boy said.

“Oh Changjo…Ricky? he skipped off that way.”

“but we have the same class…Annyeong~~ Noona!”

“Annyeong!~’

‘she’s pretty popular…’ he thought when he noticed all the guy greeting her in the halls. ‘well she is really pretty…What the..what’s this feeling? I can’t be feeling jealous already! We just met a few minutes ago. Snap out of it Daniel..’

“oh here’s our class.” She said stopping at the door. “Come on. What are you nervous?”

“a little bit..” he said softly

“there’s no need to be…I’m here.” she said and smiled at him.

‘that’s what’s making me nervous.’ He thought. ‘I just got here and guys are looking at me like they want to kick my .’

He didn’t say anything and just smiled. They stepped into the door of the classroom.